As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Torchlight: It's got a new thread now!

korodullinkorodullin What.SCRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
torchlightlogo.png

AKA: "THIS GAME LOOKS TOO MUCH LIKE DIABLO III WHAT A BUNCH OF RIPOFFS DIE IN A FIRE FAILSHIP"

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/122
So you've downloaded your first mod! Now you want to try it out, but wait! You have no idea how to do it? Fortunately, we have this little guide to help you.

All mods must be placed within the correct folder on your computer, or they will not work. To find this folder, first you must find your Application Data for Torchlight. One way to do this is by going to the folder where you originally installed Torchlight, and then clicking the shortcut there to find the Application Data.

The folder this link will take you to should be something like...

In Windows XP: C:/Documents and Settings/{your user name}/Application Data/Runic Games/Torchlight
In Windows Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight

NOTE 1 - Vista and Windows 7 users can simply search for %appdata% in the start menu.
NOTE 2 - You may need to set your computer to show hidden files before you can find the folder.

Once you find Torchlight's application data folder, you simply need to open the folder titled "mods" and unzip your mods within. Each mod, if created correctly, should extract a folder with a custom name (each mod will likely have a different name in the folder). You may be able to tell if it unzipped properly by checking within the extracted folder to see if a folder titled "media" is inside. Everything MUST be in the correct location within the mods folder, or the mods will not load.

Finally, if you have several mods that attempt to use the same file, they may not be compatible with each other. You may need to edit the load order in the mods.dat file, and if they still don't work correctly you may simply have two mods that will not work with each other. However, if you are particularly handy you may be able to modify the changes in both files into one single file that works together... but for that, you probably should ask the mods' authors in the forums for help.

Torchlight! It's an action RPG by Runic Games, which consists of folks who made the Diablo games, Fate, and most recently were developing the ill-fated Mythos for Flagship. For those of us who played Mythos, Torchlight is likely already a day one purchase, but for those horrible people who never did, I guess some information should be shared.

First off, it's single-player only. Yeah, I know, it sucks, but we can deal with it. The game is also a sort of "feeler arm" by Runic in order to establish a brand and raise some more capital in order to produce an MMO version, hopefully with similar combat. Second, it plays more or less like any other isometric ARPG. Point mouse, click mouse, kill mans, loot the bodies, kill bosses, etc. Third, and probably most importantly, it comes with a robust suite of modding tools, and from the info we've seen so far, the community should hopefully be able to produce some quality stuff.

Since I am pretty universally terrible at OPs, here is some stuff from Runic's site:

* Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
* Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
* Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
* Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
* Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
* Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
* Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by providing an editor so our players can create and design their own content.

Should probably mention the classes as well.

Destroyer

destroyer_profile.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhrNZZf-dOk
An endless wanderer, who is drawn to conflict with his dual-welding blades, was led to Torchlight after hearing of the evils befallen it. Through channeling the power of his ancestors, the Destroyer excels at close-quarter combat and is able to smite his foes with such ferocity as to easily dispatch multiple enemies at once. With a strong sense of virtue, the Destroyer sets out to deal justice with his blades, but things may not be as simple in Torchlight as they appear.

With a darkness rising to cloud the Destroyer’s judgment, only time will tell whether or not the draw of Ember will tempt his soul into corruption.

Basically your standard melee meat machine. Can use some few ranged attacks, as evidenced by the Destroyer video up there. Very Diablo II Barbarian-ish.

Alchemist

alchemist_profile.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLl5Xzu2Aw
Drawn to the power of Ember as a cornerstone of his magical art, the Alchemist came to Torchlight for his own ends. Being the largest cache of Ember ever found, the temptation may lead the Alchemist never being able to break free of its influence and ultimately to his downfall. The power of Ember is beyond imagining, but the price is very high.

By channeling the power of Ember, the Alchemist is able to dispatch enemies from afar as well as summon minions to his aid.

Your mage. Lots of pretty spell effects and some summoning. Probably my favorite-looking class.

Vanquisher

vanquisher_profile.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNzJ9KYlWw
Part of an ancient order dedicated to justice and bringing balance to the world, the Vanquisher was sent out to Torchlight to investigate the mysterious slayings and missing town folks. Unknown to her, the darkness below the small town of Torchlight runs far deeper than the mines beneath. As an expert marksman, the Vanquisher is able to take enemies from afar as well as use traps to confuse and deliberate her foes from all directions.

The flow of Ember and the darkness below will test the Vanquisher’s skill and conviction to the fullest.

The non-magic ranged attacker. From the video and the description, feels like a Diablo II Amazon combined with some shades of Assassin. Apparently some melee ability as well.

PAX 2009 trailer

Here are some of the game editor videos, courtesy of Drool:
Drool wrote: »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1KMHtAJsY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqkJD7fQq8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4y63KvHOWU&feature=player_embedded

Here's the video tutorials. The thing you need to know about the tool set is that it lets you change anything and everything. In addition to making levels and pieces of levels to be randomly put together you can change all the values from classes, to loot, to monsters. You could add textures, models, meshes, particles, anything that's in the game you can screw around with.

Screenshots! Warning. They are enormous.
E3-bridge-fight-troll-lava.jpg
E3-corner-ramp-lava.jpg
E3-crypt-depth.jpg
E3-gore-slash.jpg
E3-shoulder-dash.jpg
E3-stomp-crypt.jpg
1-year-fishing.jpg
1-year-inventory.jpg
1-year-stomp.jpg

If any of this piques your interest at all, I urge you to consider giving it a shot. It's only $20.

ZvOMJnu.png
- The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
korodullin on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I never played Mythos, so it looks like a blocky cartoony Diablo 3.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    An attitude which is, I suspect, something Runic is going to have to battle all the way to release and beyond.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aw hells yes.

Travis Baldtree is the man. I am really glad that he's getting another shot with this game. It was a damn shame that Mythos got dragged down with Flagship.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It doesn't help the "omg lego diablo" comments that the level in the screenshots looks very similar to the level from the Diablo 3 trailer.

Could be a fun one to play with a couple of friends.

Traikan on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess both are inside a building made of stone, with candles.

You've got em there.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, I'm not going to let this thread die this quickly. There's been an interview with Travis Baldtree about Torchlight, and it's cleared up a few things, namely that it's actually a single player game that's being developed first in order to fund an MMO set in the same world.

It's also being developed as "highly moddable," with mod tools slated to be released alongside the game. Aside from that it's a moderately decent interview, with a lot of talk about influences (Lovecraft? Dwarf Fortress?) and tech talk about their new game engine that they've built over the past few months.

I'm really stoked for this, especially since it's not going to be an MMO right off the bat. Seems like Runic's the anti-Flagship now.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As long as they learned from Flagship's mistakes, it can only be good

Though personally I probably won't buy this for a while after release because Diablo clones always ruin my life for a short time after I start playing them

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had a lot of fun with Mythos so I hope this does well. Yeah, the MMO version is going to be competing with Diablo 3 but it's free so maybe they'll find a niche.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure a solely single-player venture is the way to go, though. Something with some form of multiplayer, as single-player loot crawls are ridiculously boring.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Aside from that it's a moderately decent interview, with a lot of talk about influences (Lovecraft? Dwarf Fortress?) and tech talk about their new "Ogre3D" engine that they've built over the past few months

You mean the not-so-new open-source rendering engine that had already been created by multitudes of contributors, right?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure a solely single-player venture is the way to go, though. Something with some form of multiplayer, as single-player loot crawls are ridiculously boring.

Says you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Aside from that it's a moderately decent interview, with a lot of talk about influences (Lovecraft? Dwarf Fortress?) and tech talk about their new "Ogre3D" engine that they've built over the past few months

You mean the not-so-new open-source rendering engine that had already been created by multitudes of contributors, right?

I must've misread the interview then. I admit I didn't exactly pore it over in exacting detail.

Yeah, I misread. I thought he was calling his game engine Ogre3D.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mythos had potential. I hope they get this one right. "Single-player loot crawls" are more than okay with me.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I will play this because Diablo 3 probably won't be out anytime soon.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I'm not going to let this thread die this quickly. There's been an interview with Travis Baldtree about Torchlight, and it's cleared up a few things, namely that it's actually a single player game that's being developed first in order to fund an MMO set in the same world.

Hmm. On the one hand, why not get investors to fund the development of the game you actually want to make instead of creating a game that isn't the game you want to make?

On the flip side, it's probably really good branding if he's going to set it in the same universe.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SammyF wrote: »

Hmm. On the one hand, why not get investors to fund the development of the game you actually want to make instead of creating a game that isn't the game you want to make?

On the flip side, it's probably really good branding if he's going to set it in the same universe.

I think they need to establish themselves before they try to jump right into the MMO-verse. So... this seems like a good move, and they have every motivation to give it their best effort.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    VolbardVolbard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys, I'm going to resurrect this thread because Torchlight is at PAX and I'd like you to come play it. Hope you don't mind. |^)

A lot of people here have been pointing out similarities between the look of Torchlight and D3. The crypt was our first tileset, and it looks more like D3 than any of the others. You can check out recent screenshots to see the differences, but I really recommend you check out this article that came out in gamasutra today:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4123/from_the_ashes_of_mythos_the_art_.php

Even if you're not into hack and slash RPGs I think you'll find the article interesting, its a pretty candid look into our design process, and it explains why our art style is what it is.

I just spent most of today setting up our booth, it's over between Bethesda and Harmonix. Come say hi!

Volbard on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks good. Just read that the release date is October 27th and it'll be $20.

Kind of sad about it not being multiplayer.

SteevL on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Volbard wrote: »
    You can check out recent screenshots to see the differences, but I really recommend you check out this article that came out in gamasutra today:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4123/from_the_ashes_of_mythos_the_art_.php

Even if you're not into hack and slash RPGs I think you'll find the article interesting, its a pretty candid look into our design process, and it explains why our art style is what it is.

Read the article earlier today, one of your concept art guys is on the SA forums. Classy guy, has been keeping us up to date. Article was really interesting, amazed you had the time to fit in writing that considering the mad timetable you guys have been on.

Hope you guys can make it to PAX East next year in some form, I can't get to PAX this year. Really rooting for you guys.

devoir on
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SteevL wrote: »

One week after Borderlands. Ouch.

Spindrift on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, we couldn't make the game in one year *and* jam multiplayer in. We'll be focused on the MMO soon, and that will be the same gameplay but with multiplayer.

One nice thing about singleplayer is that it's easy to mod. We're releasing Preditor (the Professional Editor) so that people can modify the game with the same tools we used to build it.

Borderlands is a pretty different game, you might find room in your heart for both. |^p

Volbard on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spindrift wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

One week after Borderlands. Ouch.

Twenty dollars.

Don't eat for three days and you're set!

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't $20 the original price point of FATE?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Wasn't $20 the original price point of FATE?

Yes, as far as I can remember. We had a lot more resources this time around so Torchlight is a much better game, but we still feel that cheaper is better. Everyone pays less, but hopefully more people pick the game up because of the low price. Also, maybe it's harder to justify pirating it, but I'm probably dreaming there. |^)

Volbard on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys, I'm going to resurrect this thread because Torchlight is at PAX and I'd like you to come play it. Hope you don't mind. |^)

A lot of people here have been pointing out similarities between the look of Torchlight and D3. The crypt was our first tileset, and it looks more like D3 than any of the others. You can check out recent screenshots to see the differences, but I really recommend you check out this article that came out in gamasutra today:

I just spent most of today setting up our booth, it's over between Bethesda and Harmonix. Come say hi!

Wow, that's a great article. I think the game would have lost a lot of charm with the unibody style.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't get to play Mythos that much, but what I did get to play was pretty interesting. Looking forward to playing this, and at 20$ I'm sure it'll be more than worth that price.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    My pants are tight.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My pants are tight.

Go on a diet, fatty.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    My pants are tight.

Go on a diet, fatty.

I was just going to buy bigger pants. Fat people have feelings, too.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I loved Mythos for the short time I got to play it, and will happily buy this day one. I'm unfortunately not at PAX so I can't check it out there, but if anyone does it'd be cool to hear some impressions!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FATE was awesome for what it was. Mythos had a great feeling and i loved how it evolved during the beta.

I can't wait for this.

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    $20? Bought, day one. And I'll convince as many others as I can to get it as well.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    safetakesafetake Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm definitely going to buying this, but I wonder how its going to be released. In stores? Or online only? On Steam?

safetake on
    XBOX LIVE: SAFETAKE
  • Options
    MalvientMalvient Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just want these guys to go find jobs at some well funded, well established company so they can churn out good ideas without going out of business once a year. I loved Mythos. :(

Malvient on
    EVE-Online: Eryx Terayen, Seraphal
    World of Warcraft - Calbert, Azjol-Nerub (PvE)
    syrairc.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    trailer from pax.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/55175/PC/Torchlight/Trailer/PAX-09-Debut-Trailer

Looks like a decent dungeon crawler though the trailer leaves a lot to be desired. They could have left out the horrid voiceovers and put in some more compelling music and it would have been far more enticing.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    safetake wrote: »
    I'm definitely going to buying this, but I wonder how its going to be released. In stores? Or online only? On Steam?

Online only at this point. Probably on Steam, but they'll get more money if you buy directly from them (sometimes a consideration).\\

Edit: Actually apparently there is a boxed version being produced by Encore.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the love guys. |^)

It will be available online first, probably on our site first and then through other places like Steam. Besides giving us a larger cut of the sale price, it also gives us a chance to quickly patch any problems that come up without going through everyone else's systems.

There will be box copies, but not until early next year, and they're not going to have a cloth map or anything like that anyway.

Volbard on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    funny how the silly network test game turned out so much better than the main product (hellgate london)

having really enjoyed mythos, i'll definitely be checking this out.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm confused:
    http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2009/090409a.html

Single player only? MMO next year? Can someone clarify this please?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm confused:
    http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2009/090409a.html

Single player only? MMO next year? Can someone clarify this please?

Here you go:
    Yeah, we couldn't make the game in one year *and* jam multiplayer in. We'll be focused on the MMO soon, and that will be the same gameplay but with multiplayer.

One nice thing about singleplayer is that it's easy to mod. We're releasing Preditor (the Professional Editor) so that people can modify the game with the same tools we used to build it.

Borderlands is a pretty different game, you might find room in your heart for both. |^p

SteevL on