As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend On]Star Wars books!

nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Social Entropy++
I have always loved Star Wars: I own all the movies, I've seen all the episodes of clone wars, I've played most of the games, I play the RPG, but for some reason I have never gotten into the books.

Is that weird?

For whatever reason, I recently felt compelled by forces unknown to begin reading them as if I had gone through some sort of nerd puberty. I checked out the book list on wikipedia, and was a bit overwhelmed. I turn to you for answers, because I don't know where else to go. Where the fuck should I start? Is it worth hunting down any of the comics/short stories/not novels?

Help me PA Forums, you're my only hope.

camo_sig2.png
nefffffffffff on

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    really? this couldn't have gone in the book thread?

really? they're even talking about them in there!

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The second last post in the book thread is about Star Wars books, and yet you chose to make a new thread. This seems like a very poor idea!

People will be quite content to help you in there, I am sure.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    star trek is better.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I feel like this thread can stand alone simply because people seem to be spoilering the crap out of the SW books in the book thread, and I don't know about you but if I want a recommendation, I don't also want to know the ending. That said:

I would recommend the "Tales of..." (Mos Eisley Cantina, Jabba's Palace) books, and the X-Wing squadron books above all else - they don't fuck with canon because they illustrate the back and future stories of all the minor characters, but they're very well-written. As a result of the Tales of Jabba's Palace, I actually feel bad when the Rancor dies.

There are a couple other small one-offs I would highly recommend that actually do delve into the main characters: the Thrawn Trilogy, the Jedi Acadamy Trilogy, and I, Jedi.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, probably better suited for the book thread, but anything written by Matthew Stover, especially Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Mace Windu: Shatterpoint, and The Revenge of the Sith novelization.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    STOP

THIS ONLY LEADS TO FOLLY

although the karen traviss books are alright I guess.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I enjoyed the Thrawn Trilogy, and I've got a bunch of the X-Wing series lying around.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If it's written by Zahn or Allston, read it.

Otherwise, tread carefully. Stackpole is a hack and Anderson is pretty much the worst person ever.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    STOP

THIS ONLY LEADS TO FOLLY

Fuck Karen Traviss

"Blah blah blah Mandalorians are awesome and Jedi suck. Oh Boba let me suck you off for 200 pages. Did I mention Mandos are awesome. Let me teach you Mandalorian language. Did I mention how awesome they are? Shoot someone in the head. More Mando love. The end."

There, I just summed up all of her books.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I read the whole Jedi: Apprentice series or whatever when I was like 12.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    [ bracket thread ]

potatoe on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2009
    what they did to jacen solo was way worse than dropping a moon on a wookie

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    STOP

THIS ONLY LEADS TO FOLLY

Fuck Karen Traviss

"Blah blah blah Mandalorians are awesome and Jedi suck. Oh Boba let me suck you off for 200 pages. Did I mention Mandos are awesome. Let me teach you Mandalorian language. Did I mention how awesome they are? Shoot someone in the head. More Mando love. The end."

all the other books are just jedi prostate-massaging

jedi are lame as hell

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    STOP

THIS ONLY LEADS TO FOLLY

Fuck Karen Traviss

Helpful!

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The Jedi are at least portrayed as characters in other books. Instead of essentially being white people in a Spike Lee movie. And it would bother me less if the people talking about how bad they are weren't a bunch of mercenaries with a history of trying to conquer the universe.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    until someone writes a good lando novel I probably won't read star wars books again

blood I am sorry that you are a big pussy that likes to fingercuff with lightsabers while real men take care of business

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The worst thing about reading Anderson is you are suddenly struck with the knowledge that this asshole is somehow a widely recognized author who no doubt makes decent money from his abominations posing as books. And that's when you realize that talent means nothing when it comes to getting published and being successful.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    until someone writes a good lando novel I probably won't read star wars books again

The Lando Calrissian Trilogy was pretty good, if a bit out there.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lando is a jerk.

Also I know a black guy named Landon who is a constant dissapoint to me with his one letter too long name.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

The Lando Calrissian Trilogy was pretty good, if a bit out there.

HE FOUGHT A SPACE WIZARD.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't care what you guys think, grand admiral thrawn rules

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    For the sake of Space Whales.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

hi5
    He is the best.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So Allston and Zahn have already been mentioned.

I found the "Tales of" books to be quite good. Just short stories of unknown or background characters. Good stuff.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the lando trilogy was weird. it was ok, and pretty much had lando doing cool stuff, but it was way fucking out there

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I liked him in the the original Zahn trilogy. Then when every other book he wrote decided to white wash his character as being a huge intergalactic hero who did everything right, then I started getting annoyed with him.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Thrawn was so awesome, there was absolutely no way any of the heroes could beat him, so it had to be essentially a huge sequence of coincidences that led to his death.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ahh there they are.

1-3

and

4, 5

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    also, who wrote the corellian trilogy where mara jade was all of a sudden bereft of force powers for some unexplained and unmentioned reason?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Roger McBride Allen.

Also famous for having a subplot where Lando goes hunting for a rich wife.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited April 2009
    anything written by michael reaves

seriously

i am an expert on these matters

Whippy on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    also, who wrote the corellian trilogy where mara jade was all of a sudden bereft of force powers for some unexplained and unmentioned reason?

that is the kinda shit that is status quo in star wars books so.....

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    vsove wrote: »

Thrawn was so awesome, there was absolutely no way any of the heroes could beat him, so it had to be essentially a huge sequence of coincidences that led to his death.

pretty much

great books though

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the coruscant nights trilogy is jedi noir

jedi noir

JEDI NOIR

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    (it is awesome)

Whippy on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Whatever else you take from this thread, know this.

All of Kevin J Anderson's work notwithstanding...

Under no circumstances should you read Truce at Bakura or The Courtship of Princess Leia.

Ever

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've liked everything Reeves has done so far, but I haven't started his Jedi noir books yet. Although I love the first ones cover so much.

sw-coruscant-nights-jedi-twilight.jpg

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    if anything was going to get whippy back, it would be star wars books

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    The worst thing about reading Anderson is you are suddenly struck with the knowledge that this asshole is somehow a widely recognized author who no doubt makes decent money from his abominations posing as books. And that's when you realize that talent means nothing when it comes to getting published and being successful.

He's the guy Brian Herbert teamed up with to write the rest of the DUNE books.

Yeah.

Volucrisus Aedrius on