As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggest me long haircuts for men

Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insultedwhen I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey,

I've been growing my hair for the last few months (about eyes-hight now) and I'm now looking for input for, well, let's say something extravagant that I can do to it.

The conditions are that it shouldn't be too care-intensive (I'm no good with hairstyling), nor do I want to come across as an whiny emo boy. I just want something cool and stylish (money shouldn't be much of a problem).

I kinda don't like the idea of posting a picture of me on the interwebs, so let me try to describe myself with words: I'm 21 years old and have a rather boyish face (no beard, and I often get mistaken as much younger then I actually am). I currently wear dyed hair (hibiscus red, and I'd like to keep the color), it's very thin (bad for styling) and whirls on the backside of my head (does one say so in English?), which seems to have caused some trouble for my hairstylists in the past.

So, what I want you to do now is to post some pictures of haircuts that you think might fit my description, and possibly link me to some older threads (I'm surely not the only one?). Thanks in advance!

Alfred J. Kwak on

• Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have longer than normal length hair and can only do two things with it. Part it to one side or use a bandana to get it to stay 'slicked' back. Aside from that I do not think there are many options open to you. Given that your hair is straight and thin you might want to consider just throwing it into a ponytail. I know a few guys with hair long enough for it and they really do not look horrible.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Without a picture it's hard to imagine and definitely lose the red hair.

Munacra on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just let it grow. And then let it go.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    do not put it in a ponytail

Jives on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jives wrote: »
    do not put it in a ponytail

That's out of question.

Okay, so I've decided to take a quick picture of how my hair currently looks
    mepirctureu.jpg

Looks really bad from the side. And you can't actually see it on the picture, but the hair in the front almost goes down to my eyes.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't really think that's considered long hair at all. I think your best bet would be talking to a stylist. Go into a salon instead of a barber shop...it's typically not very expensive to get a mens haircut at a salon compared to a woman's haircut at one.

I wouldn't suggest something like JC Penny either....you should talk to the women you know and get them to recommend someone good. Plus at a salon you get them to wash your hair and a scalp massage, it's great.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You have a very feminine look, I would be very careful that you don't get a "this is a style meant for women with short hair" type cut.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    @Thylacine: I don't know the difference between a salon and a barber shop - although I'm pretty sure that here in Austria, we only have one of those two. And yeah, I think it's pretty long hair for a guy, because any longer and a ponytail is pretty much a must.

@Improvolone: That's probably not a very authentic picture of me - I don't normally come across as feminine, but thanks for the tip anyway.

However, I'm still waiting for some helpful ideas, guys. I'm planning to wear my new haircut for a longer period of time, and I really want it to stand out a bit. Otherwise it means back for me to my two boring old haircuts (short hair/long hair - and interestingly they always turn out the same no matter where I go).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's really not that long. It's not even floppy. It can get a lot longer before a ponytail is a must. Mine is about two inches longer going by the eye thing and there's no way I could get it anyway near a ponytail.

For example, you'd have a hell of a time getting this style into a ponytail and it's considerably longer then yours.
    jackman-1.jpg

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tav wrote: »

For example, you'd have a hell of a time getting this style into a ponytail and it's considerably longer then yours.
    jackman-1.jpg

Okay, I take everything back. Man, I wish I had hair like that :P

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    everyone does

Raneados on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even that guy, as I'm pretty sure that hair is photoshopped. It can't exist!

(I'll have to second going to a salon, they're pretty up with the trends- just tell them "I don't want to be emo, but I'd like to try long hair, what do you think" and they'll give you a range of possibilities.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    @Thylacine: I don't know the difference between a salon and a barber shop - although I'm pretty sure that here in Austria, we only have one of those two. And yeah, I think it's pretty long hair for a guy, because any longer and a ponytail is pretty much a must.

In the states Barber's and barber's shops typically deal with men's hair cuts, and can also do shaves. A woman wouldn't go to a barber's shop. Though, I believe barbers may actually be licensed to do the same things.

Salons have hair stylists which will do cut, style, perms, colors, waxing, nails etc... Most good stylists/salons you will have to make an appointment ahead of time because if they're good, their schedule will be booked. If you're in a smaller town they can sometimes squeeze you in on slow days.

Anyway...seriously, unless things are totally backwards in Oz and up really is down, your hair isn't long. I'd call it medium length. The back and sides still look short and the front doesn't look long even if you can pull your bangs(or fringe if you call it that there) down past your eyes...if it doesn't hang down that way normally then it isn't going to hang down further by getting it cut.

If the picture is deceptive or a bad representation of your hair then get a better one so we can suggest things.

That being said...the website I found this on is calling this a "long haircut". I would probably call it medium, but whatever. Your hair doesn't seem particularly thick or have a lot of body which is something you need to think about for styles so I think something like this would work.
    10long.jpg

Also, my husband has hair like this guys:
    jackman-1.jpg

It is very hard not to be jealous of it...all the ladies are. But he has white hairs too since he was 18. My hair was straight til I was 13 and decided it wanted to be curly and I didn't learn how to manage that and stop fighting it til I was 18. I can not brush it and I get horrible horrible tangles no matter what I do...it just loves to tangle itself up and I can only comb it when it's wet with conditioner, which results in more breakage than I'd like.. Everyone has their hair problems ;-P try not to spend too much time worrying about it.

Edit: I would be wary of getting that haircut if you do look feminine though, but I am taking your word that you don't.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grow a mullet.
    Im serious. Ive got one, and girls love it. Again, im serious.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Figure out your face shape. Figure out what works for that face shape. Try it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't, try again.

Unfortunately style is a very subjective thing, but when it comes to being attractive being confident is key. Keep on trying new stuff until you find something you really like.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As for styling, I've used a lot of different products and techniques (I'm not very good, but I tried really hard!). The best results I've had are with what I'm doing now; using a matte wax, running a bit through wet hair, and blow drying it while combing it flat against my head. It really keeps it where I put it withhout looking crappy. Go ahead and experiment with styling what you have, see if anything looks good enough to explain to a salon.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gatsby makes a good line of hair products called Moving Rubber. They are colour coded for different hair lengths and looks. It's made in Japan and a little expensive but I think it's worth it. See if you can find a good deal on ebay.

http://www.gatsby.com.sg/tv.php

You don't have to do the crazy Japanese hair styles either. I prefer the red or purple because they give the matte look but still a pretty good hold.

Soggychicken on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grow a mullet.
    Im serious. Ive got one, and girls love it. Again, im serious.
    That's because you're in South Australia.
    I, too, am serious. :P

Cyvros on