As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Texts from last night - the new grouphug and fmylife?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    $1.50 for every text what the fuck?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Butters wrote: »

it's a family plan my mother pays for

no way is she paying a monthly rate for text messages

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Oden wrote: »
    I get free texts so I just text everyone and it's not because I'm cheap, since I get about $600 worth of calls a month

I just don't like having long winded conversations on the phone like some woman, so instead I send people messages that they can only really reply with one definitive answer

I, on the other hand, have no trouble limiting logistical conversations to under a minute and have to pay $1.50 for every text I send or receive, while I could never dream of using up all the free minutes I have.

What the fuck kind of plan are you on?

I bet you're in England, aren't you?

fucking fogbreathers

Paying anything more than 10p for a text just seems so wrong to me. I get unlimited free texts as long as I put £10 on my phone a month, and then they cost 10p once that month runs out. So because I don't make any calls that £10 then lasts me another months worth of texts.

Texts are handed out as incentives by carriers and bonus upgrades because they don't cost anything. At all. Nothing. They're limited to 160 characters because that's how big the messages are that the towers send to each other and back to their monitoring stations. Your texts just piggyback the same bandwidth that is already in use and they charge you for the priviledge.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I get free infinite texts. I use them to ask objective questions like Oden and to communicate shit when I don't feel like talking on the phone. They're handy sometimes, but I still fuckin' hate people who try to carry on any kind of real conversation with me via texting.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

That's still retarded. Before I had monthly text message rates they were $0.10 each not $1.50. Either you have Ghetto-and-Go Mobile or your figures are way off.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    (859): I feel like death. Did you die last night?
    (305): Nope. Ready for round 2. Fiesta!
    (859): unreal. Greatest comeback since Jesus

I am fiesta-ing RIGHT NOW.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited April 2009

That's still retarded. Before I had monthly text message rates they were $0.10 each not $1.50. Either you have Ghetto-and-Go Mobile or your figures are way off.

Verizon

I am not kidding

maybe it's changed but that's what it used to be before I had them disabled

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Verizon charges like $0.10 now. I remember my dad getting all pissed at me for somehow still racking up like $15 in texts before we got our new plan.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The best part of charging for texts is that it costs them so close to no money at all to send them it is ridiculous

edit: what sporkandrew says above

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That simply can't be right. They'd get pummeled in a class action lawsuit for a rate like that. Maybe it was like a $1.50 charge for the billing period and then like $0.10 each after that.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The best part of charging for texts is that it costs them so close to no money at all to send them it is ridiculous

really you can't express the cost of delivering them as an integer

you have to describe it as an amount which is approaching zero but just not quite there yet

edit: these rates were for about four years ago, and I stopped them after my whore girlfriend at the time put nearly a hundred dollars on my bill in a single month, so yes, they were fucking expensive back then. I'm sure it's cheaper now but I still can't stand it as a reasonable method of communication.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

really you can't express the cost of delivering them as an integer

you have to describe it as an amount which is approaching zero but just not quite there yet

it's an asymptote!

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Verizon charges like $0.10 now. I remember my dad getting all pissed at me for somehow still racking up like $15 in texts before we got our new plan.

Ever look at a mobile bill before? You'd be surprised how quickly you can rack up 150 texts sent and received.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Ever look at a mobile bill before? You'd be surprised how quickly you can rack up 150 texts sent and received.

Yeah, actually, after that month I looked at the bill at the behest of my parents and I was pretty surprised. I felt like a dick since I don't even like texting, but after that they bought the infinite texts for all of us and they've been trying to learn how to be contemporary and text.

It's actually really funny getting a text from my mother the college English professor and published poet saying "do yuu need a ride rite now?" because she is just terrible at typing with the keypad.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "do yuu need a ride rite now?"

jazz club snaps

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I still can't get over how shafted people in the US are in regards to texts.

I get 750 free minutes a month and 1500 free texts a month for £15.

Also we don't have to pay to receive texts.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah it's astounding how texting can lead even the most articulate people you know to sending "wut r u doin 2 nite?"
    BigDes wrote: »
    I still can't get over how shafted people in the US are in regards to texts.

We aren't anymore this was like 5 years ago.

Butters on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    (281): But imagine a dinosaur-themed tramp stamp
    Houston again and I can think of exactly one person who would say this.
    (651): Question for you. Are boobs and hands polarly charged, thus causing the inevitable joining of the two. If so are some breasts simply charged backwards
    I demand a full scientific inquiry into this matter.

(805): Dude?? where did you go after Wildcats last night? Last I heard you went off with one of the girls we danced with?
    (1-805): Negative - This is his GF, Bobby is in Jail for a DUI. Thanks for the info.
    Way to be specific, dickhead.
    (972): Remember that sex scene from American Psycho?
    (469): Ya, why?
    (972): We should try that some time.
    Dallas again. Possibly an old co-worker. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

:rotate:

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah it's astounding how texting can lead even the most articulate people you know to sending "wut r u doin 2 nite?"

I hate text speak with a passion.

The worst is when it starts to filter into normal writing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "do yuu need a ride rite now?"

jazz club snaps

bleeding_gums_murphy_250x.jpg

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Or, even worse, a persons spoken vernacular.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Or, even worse, a persons spoken vernacular.

saying LOL instead of laughing is a personal hatred of mine

also 'pwned' being used aloud

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pwned, fail, or anything else in that particular vein are wildly offensive things to hear.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i use smilies when i text 8-)

:P is much better than lol

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pwned, fail, or anything else in that particular vein are wildly offensive things to hear.

i am willing to accept fail as it is actually a real word with a real meaning.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Texts are handed out as incentives by carriers and bonus upgrades because they don't cost anything. At all. Nothing. They're limited to 160 characters because that's how big the messages are that the towers send to each other and back to their monitoring stations. Your texts just piggyback the same bandwidth that is already in use and they charge you for the priviledge.

They cost something. It may not have required expansion in bandwidth to provide the service but the data still has to be processed, tracked, and logged. It's not unreasonable for texting to be a paid service.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    lostwords wrote: »

Not by much it isn't.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    lostwords wrote: »

The only smile I ever use is :O

It expresses every emotion I feel ever

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

They cost something. It may not have required expansion in bandwidth to provide the service but the data still has to be processed, tracked, and logged. It's not unreasonable for texting to be a paid service.

As far as I know, any logging is minimal. I don't believe any carrier guarantees that texts will be sent, ever, and certainly doesn't guarantee that they will be sent in a timely fashion.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

As far as I know, any logging is minimal. I don't believe any carrier guarantees that texts will be sent, ever, and certainly doesn't guarantee that they will be sent in a timely fashion.

They can't guarantee any transmission (calls fail too you know) but I believe they are required by law to log some data for any sort of successful transmission. At least when it occurred and what number was contacted.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Transmission and reception of text messages are logged but not the content.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    point in case, while it's been a few years since I've used it there used to be a setting that would give you a ping back to your phone once the sms message was delivered, not sure if you can still do that or not

Weaver on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    D:

is one of the only smilies I use

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    People who use text speak on websites like facebook annoy me so much. Especially the dude I saw abbreviate couldn't as cunt.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    this is the best smilie

@_@

I just made it up

although I suspect not really

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've noticed myself using 'imo' and similar ilk in IRC in the last little while. I must purge the uncleanness.

On a related note, I got an open fire permit so I can have a fire pit in my yard.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I must purge the uncleanness.

Sig and av are appropriate. Totally watching that on FX right now.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I use the word "lol" in conversation (just pronounced phonetically) when someone tells a really bad joke.

The first time I did it everyone looked at me like I had just crapped my pants.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Imagine that I'm hitting you with a rolled up newspaper right now, double m

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    good lawd:
    (214): your drunk exhusband is tryin to get with my drunk exgirlfriend. i think its funny. if you still talk to him dont say anything.
    (1-214): we're not divorced.

MrMonroe on