As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old PC game can no longer save or load. [Lock Please]

CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
An old PC game of mine I really love (original war if anyone is interested) has randomly decided to crash whenever I try to load or save a game. The screen goes black and a box comes up saying "fatal application wndproc: error" then it crashes back to the desktop. Nothing has changed on my PC recently and this just started with no rhyme or reason. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but the crashes still happen and that's me fresh out of ideas.

Help please?

EDIT: The plot thickens. I got winrar and ran the patch I got from the OW site the computer crashed half way through the patching (as it does a lot these days that's why I need to be able to save) so now the patch won't install. The real kicker though is that AVG found a trojan in the patch D:.

Casual on

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Throwing out ideas:

Uninstall again, and make sure everything gets removed. Some games will leave behind savegames and config files.
    Mess with the compatibility settings.
    Patch.
    http://forum.owsupport.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=7d44a20cbb96782fdceb96b42dca99aa Support forum. Not that many users now, but search for a similar problem?

evilmrhenry on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If those don't fix the problem you could also try installing the game on a completely different computer.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Throwing out ideas:

Uninstall again, and make sure everything gets removed. Some games will leave behind savegames and config files.
    Mess with the compatibility settings.
    Patch.
    http://forum.owsupport.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=7d44a20cbb96782fdceb96b42dca99aa Support forum. Not that many users now, but search for a similar problem?

I have actually already tried this I even downloaded a patch for it but it turns out I need another program like winrar or something to use it. I don't have it and I can't find it for free, I don't have a credit card so I'm screwed on that front.
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    If those don't fix the problem you could also try installing the game on a completely different computer.

A good plan but I only have one computer and that isn't about to change so I either find a way to make it work on this computer or it doesn't work at all.

Casual on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What extension is on the patch? There should be something out there that can handle it. 7zip can open a bunch of stuff, though I don't know if it can handle .rars.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    You don't have any friends with a computer you can borrow for 15 min?

If the game works on their computer but not yours, you'll be able to look at some of the key differences between them to (hopefully) get an idea of why the game works on one but not the other.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Winrar is free. They have a annoying popup asking to register everytime you use it after the trial period is ove

Otherwise its basically free make sure you are going to their actual website

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Winrar is free. They have a annoying popup asking to register everytime you use it after the trial period is over

Otherwise its basically free make sure you are going to their actual website

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
    edited April 2009

If the game works on their computer but not yours, you'll be able to look at some of the key differences between them to (hopefully) get an idea of why the game works on one but not the other.

If you're talking about going into the program files for a look around my lack of knowledge means me messing around in there would probably do more harm than good.

Casual on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited April 2009
    Casual wrote: »
    EDIT: The plot thickens. I got winrar and ran the patch I got from the OW site the computer crashed half way through the patching (as it does a lot these days that's why I need to be able to save) so now the patch won't install. The real kicker though is that AVG found a trojan in the patch D:.

Where'd you get the patch from?

evilmrhenry on
    edited April 2009

If you're talking about going into the program files for a look around my lack of knowledge means me messing around in there would probably do more harm than good.

No... i mean like, hardware differences, operating system versions (say, if he has service pack 2 and you have sp3) Things like that.

Nappuccino on

edited April 2009

Where'd you get the patch from?

The site you linked to which seems to be their official support site.

Casual on
    edited April 2009

No... i mean like, hardware differences, operating system versions (say, if he has service pack 2 and you have sp3) Things like that.

The game worked fine on this computer for months up until a couple of days ago. There haven't been any windows updates or anything like that recently. That's why I'm so confused it literally stopped working out of the blue.

Casual on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's possible that the virus result is a false positive. I've seen Avast! do that with a couple of games. Do they have official forums? The reason I ask is that if you are getting a virus warning on the patch then other people would have to and would have reported it.

Ah, check out this thread on their support forums talking about a false positive from the virus scan.

Nobody on
    edited April 2009
    Nobody wrote: »
    It's possible that the virus result is a false positive. I've seen Avast! do that with a couple of games. Do they have official forums? The reason I ask is that if you are getting a virus warning on the patch then other people would have to and would have reported it.

Ah, check out this thread on their support forums talking about a false positive from the virus scan.

Alright, so the virus is a false positive.

You'll likely want to reinstall the game first if your computer crashed in the middle of installing a patch.

evilmrhenry on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The game worked fine on this computer for months up until a couple of days ago. There haven't been any windows updates or anything like that recently. .
    Actually there have.
    I think last week there were about 7 items as well as a new WGA patch?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Thanks to everyone who posted advice here it was all pretty helpful and would have worked but the underlying problem here is that this laptop is dying so it's pretty pointless to continue. I think the mods can lock this one. :(

Casual on