We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

Geocities DEAD???

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had the best pokemon website.
    I had pictures of 9 japanese pokemon cards.
    So ahead of the game...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh man. This is sad. Honestly, it should have happened long ago, but the pain is still there.

http://www.geocities.com/krisnelson86/

*SALUTE*

I will miss you, old friend.

Kris on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, what was up with the internet 10 years ago that compelled so many 10-15 year old kids to make shitty websites? Do they still do that today and we just don't talk about it as much? Or are Myspace and Facebook the new Geoshitties? This is why I only like Twitter.

Obs on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    did anyone else stick <blink> into their pages strictly to annoy netscape users?

Fuck you netscape was the shit back then.

What the hell did you use, IE 3.0? God awful.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My first website was on Homestead.

Shortly after, I discovered Geocities.

I still used it to this day to host images and link them. Just habit, I guess.

GPIA7R on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Man, what was up with the internet 10 years ago that compelled so many 10-15 year old kids to make shitty websites? Do they still do that today and we just don't talk about it as much? Or are Myspace and Facebook the new Geoshitties? This is why I only like Twitter.

Myspace has definitely taken Geocitie's place. I'm not sure which is worse relatively few people making Dragon Ball Z/Metallica/*Random pet* pages or almost everyone blogging about what they ate for lunch. Myspace has more people producing shit, but it has a social aspect that allows them to pretend that others actually read their shit.

jackal on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jackal wrote: »

Myspace has definitely taken Geocitie's place. I'm not sure which is worse relatively few people making Dragon Ball Z/Metallica/*Random pet* pages or almost everyone blogging about what they ate for lunch. Myspace has more people producing shit, but it has a social aspect that allows them to pretend that others actually read their shit.

The old (current?) MySpace where everyone and their sibling created their pages using copy/paste third party code to make things blinky, shiny, sparkly, dark, useless, annoying, different like everyone else has definitely beaten out the horror that was the late 90s "create a webpage" culture. At least most of them actually had to learn how to code to do it. MySpace just made it easier to everyone to include auto-playing music that I don't care to listen to on their pages.. It is the direct cause of why my computer is on mute 99% of the time unless I'm listening to music on it. Also why I don't go to MySpace anymore.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Myspace is to everyone what Black Planet/Migente/Asian Avenue was to everyone that fit those races. Now EVERYONE has a place to throw up pages with 321MB background images, dancing javescript craplets, 432143218432 Youtube videos all running at once, and half a dozen mp3's fighting to be heard and 98321441943 people believing that all those people are really their "friends".

ugh.

Maybe our crappy little Geocities pages weren't really so bad...

logic7 on
    edited April 2009

It's cause the internet was fuckin' brand-spanking new (relatively) which excited kids, coupled with the fact that HTML was ridiculously easy to learn/use, and most Jr. High computer classes taught an introductory HTML section. It was the perfect storm. :P

Kris on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember when the only real way you could show how badass of a web designer you were was to figure out how to do as much shit to your headers as humanly possible. Weird font, emboss, give it a glow border, glitter... italics and bold that shit too, man. It's the little touches.

BloodySloth on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So long, 10 year old Dragonball Z fan site! You and your hilarious list of dozens of exploited anime topsites will be missed!

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    man imagine what geocites would have looked like if blingy existed back then

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited April 2009
    imagine what it would have looked like in 97 if Flash was available.

logic7 on
    edited April 2009
    in all honesty though, there was a shitload of good info on a lot of those crappy sites. I relived a lot of my youth through a lot of that info, ESPECIALLY the anime info. I learned that what I knew to be Battle of the Planets was really Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, I learned about the three anime series that Harmony Gold glued together to make Robotech, Same for Voltron. All the lil fan sites and whatnot were great for it's purpose: To share info.

logic7 on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just looked at my old, angsty, young adult (late teens/early 20's) poetry site....yeesh, what the fuck was I thinking? I don't know what's worse: the lack of site design skills, the embedded Final Fantasy .wav files that automatically play, or that the majority of my poems ripped off various song lyrics. o_O

Wow...I'm happy that chapter of my life will soon be erased.

Nightslyr on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    even I have an awful website/comic! this cannot beeeeeeeeeeee!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited April 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    even I have an awful website/comic! this cannot beeeeeeeeeeee!

... dude...

DUDE!!!

You have " KTHXBAI!!!111one " on your site...

1000 lashes by Mike Tyson on meth for you.

logic7 on
    edited April 2009
    Maybe it's not actually my site. Who said it was mine? It's not mine.
    god damnit it's like 6 years old

Kaseius on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Uh huh, thats so convincing

"Website made by Kaseius."

Viscountalpha on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    *sigh* all this nostalgia for people's Geocities sites makes me wish Xoom still existed so I could showcase my crappy Star Trek media web site.

I even made my own desktop theme for Win98. It was loved by many.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    You know, there is a little bit to be mournful about.

Think about it; these crappy free hosting sites are a staple of what created us. The kind of people who grew up to hang out on internet forums for gaming comics spent their youth making crappy anime and novelty websites on angelfire. It's a part of us, who we are, and if it weren't for the state of the mid-to-late 90s internet we probably wouldn't be the people we are today.

Sure, it's all crap-tastic and embarrassing, but so is everyone's childhood. The thing is, geocities is a part of what made the social landscape we all shared, the culture in which we developed. With its death brings the realization that the next generation has started. Kids these days won't understand what it was like, burrowing through crappy sites and rummaging through little bits of HTML to decorate our shabby little shrines to the things we loved; exploring the vast corners of the internet and navigating it's untamed wilds. They will only know the world of myspace and facebook.

We are unique, and we will not happen again. It's really the end of an era.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Eh, Apparently I cannot find my old geocities site, but I did find my old keenspace comic. I am afraid to link it for I will forever be shamed.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2009
    http://www.geocities.com/labwerx/design

^^ that was originally suppoesd to be a showcase for my graphic design skills... except I never got around to finishing up the code so it looks more than a little shitty.

logic7 on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh no, it's all coming back. I didn't have a page on geocities but I made a crappy website that might well have been hosted there.

Remember... webrings?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited April 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Oh no, it's all coming back. I didn't have a page on geocities but I made a crappy website that might well have been hosted there.

Remember... webrings?

WOW. Yes, yes I do. I remember being part of quite a few of them..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Cold FusionCold Fusion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Haha, this thread made me go back and look at my old, old, OLD site back when I played Dark Age of Camelot

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/saiyans/

Angelfire is next I'm sure.

Haha oh man, those screen shots bring back fond memories. Fuck that game was great!

I guess it's a good thing my David Silveria fan site from back in the day was hosted on Angelfire.

Cold Fusion on
    1309077-1.png
    edited April 2009

Uh huh, thats so convincing

"Website made by Kaseius."

As if I hadn't made it obvious enough.. damnit, viscountalpha! :(

Kaseius on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    What was up with all those "______ ATE MY BALLS!!!" sites? Some stupid as fuck meme?

SUPER MARIO BROTHERS ATE MY BALLS!
    YODA ATE MY BALLS!
    DIGIMON ATE MY BALLS!

Obs on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What was up with all those "______ ATE MY BALLS!!!" sites? Some stupid as fuck meme?

YODA ATE MY BALLS!
    DIGIMON ATE MY BALLS!

It's tied with "_____ VS MR. T" for the oldest meme I can remember. I don't know which is oldest, but I'm press sure "Mr. T ate my balls" was the original "ate my balls" page, so Mr. T got around a lot back them.

jackal on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember when the only real way you could show how badass of a web designer you were was to figure out how to do as much shit to your headers as humanly possible. Weird font, emboss, give it a glow border, glitter... italics and bold that shit too, man. It's the little touches.

To be honest I don't think Geocities is dead. I think it was reborn into Myspace. Most myspace pages I've seen look like what most of the Geocities pages used to look like. Or worse.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited April 2009

YODA ATE MY BALLS!
    DIGIMON ATE MY BALLS!

It's tied with "_____ VS MR. T" for the oldest meme I can remember. I don't know which is oldest, but I'm press sure "Mr. T ate my balls" was the original "ate my balls" page, so Mr. T got around a lot back them.

Oh god, I was addicted to ___ VS MR. T in grade 8. I even made a few of my own, but they were total crap in comparison to some of the ones which were just pure gold.

Good times.

Remember "Bert Is Evil"?

Kris on
    edited April 2009
    Kris wrote: »

YODA ATE MY BALLS!
    DIGIMON ATE MY BALLS!

Oh god, I was addicted to ___ VS MR. T in grade 8. I even made a few of my own, but they were total crap in comparison to some of the ones which were just pure gold.

Good times.

Remember "Bert Is Evil"?

I remember it now.

jackal on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Remember when blogs were called E/N?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
    edited April 2009

YODA ATE MY BALLS!
    DIGIMON ATE MY BALLS!

Oh man, Ate my balls? Ahh, memories...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    under_construction.gif

This post under construction

FyreWulff on
    edited April 2009
    I remember actual business sites using that animated gif

logic7 on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i remember trying to buy domains for years that had nothing BUT that animated gif.

for years

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    under_construction.gif

Oh man, the internet was so much better in the '90s...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    under_construction.gif

Oh man, the internet was so much better in the '90s...

You could see it that way again.. can still download Netscape 1.1N if you like (runs under XP at least, not sure about Vista).

Course that won't give you the under construction signs, but everything else will look like it used to.

xzzy on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ahhh boy, this reminds me of the website my oldest brother made when I was middle school. It was about how fat I was. :(

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg