As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How you can use [EXCEL] to get womens* (*not guaranteed)

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
Old OP:
I'm using & to combine the numbers of 2 cells (let's use A1 and B1)
Type 469549 in A1 and 1000 in B1.

Type the formula in C1. The formula is =A1&B1

The result is fine - the numbers combine. The problem I'm having is when I copy this formula through C357 (over 300 cells I need to combine the numbers from. It shows the formula progressing row by row (on C2, the formula is =A2&B2) but the result is the same result shown in C1, instead of progressing.

I'm using Office 2007, and I've tried copying just the values into a new book and starting fresh. Same thing. Any thoughts?

This program, Microsoft Excel can be the most valuable tool in an office. Where Access is too complex and multilayered, Excel provides solid reporting ground. If you instinctively open Excel when someone asks you to write something up (even if Word is a better choice) then this thread is for you!

1ddqd on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Uh, nevermind, I saved it and magically, all the results populated. This is the first time it's ever done that, and I use this fucking function all the time.

Goddamn it.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You did a ton of formulas at once and it took it time to run through all them and update, didnt you? (its happened to me on simpler formulas, never learn excel-fu kids, itill ruin your work life as you will become 'that excel guy')

Although I cant complain, as its gotten me into a developer position from a really low starting entry as a contract servicer...

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So now that this thread doesn't serve much of a purpose, recent excel story!

Had to turn in a set of walkie-talkies that I still had on me from our theater production to the professor. She had all of the student grades on an excel sheet, but was calculating the total points and grade percent by using the basic calculator built into windows and a piece of paper.

Five minutes later after showing her how to do autosum and find the average, her task that would have taken another ~3 hours was done.

Does that make me the excel guy?

Sanders on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sanders wrote: »

Had to turn in a set of walkie-talkies that I still had on me from our theater production to the professor. She had all of the student grades on an excel sheet, but was calculating the total points and grade percent by using the basic calculator built into windows and a piece of paper.

Five minutes later after showing her how to do autosum and find the average, her task that would have taken another ~3 hours was done.

Unfortunately, yes.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    jackal wrote: »
    Sanders wrote: »

Unfortunately, yes.

This is what I've become at work. Really, it's not about formulas, but about laying out the data on the sheet so that you can manipulate it...most optimumly?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes you are now the excel guy, she will ask for help again in less then a week.

What you will probably know/learn to absolutely blow peoples minds:
    using =or(match()) to find an item on another list
    using =vlookup (people think you are a fucking warlock after you do this)
    If then statements

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I tried messing with vlookup but could never get the syntax and design right. Maybe I'll mess with it another time.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    vlookup is easy:

=vlookup([THE CELL YOU WANT TO FIND A MATCH FOR], [THE TABLE ARRAY YOU WANT TO LOOK IN (match must be in column 1)], [THE COLUMN NUMBER YOU WANT TO SHOW UP IN THIS CELL], [FALSE for exact match or TRUE for approx. match)

e.g.:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:H25,2,FALSE)

It will look in the first column of the range A1:H25 on sheet 2 for the value in A1 on the current sheet, then it will look at what is in column 2 (B in this case) of that row and return that value.

Other things that blow peoples' minds:

Using the RANK function to rank a list of values and combining that with an If/then to automatically have it mark duplicate ranks with 't' for 'tie'.

Seriously people think you're an excel ninja when you do this shit.

Don't even get me started on using Access to combine rows from an excel sheet.

EDIT: OK I will get me started on that:

I had a guy who had an excel spreadsheet that had values for the following:

Agency Name, Mode, Directly Operated/Purchased, Miles Traveled, etc.

There were probably 1000 rows in this sheet total. Every year he gets this data from another source and adds the DO/Purchased lines for each mode for each agency to make a new table, then he has to add them together for each agency for other tables he needs. It took him for fucking ever to do this.

I was like "you know, I could do that in 15 seconds with Access..." I was a god.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vlookup is fun.

Conditional factors are fun too. Sumif() Countif()

I can't do menial work so I am always looking for ways to automate things. It makes me happy.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    Vlookup is fun.

I can't do menial work so I am always looking for ways to automate things. It makes me happy.

I redesigned some reports at work with SumIf and CountIf and then turned on Autofilter for the columns.

The VPs now know my name. Awesome.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    Vlookup is fun.

I redesigned some reports at work with SumIf and CountIf and then turned on Autofilter for the columns.

The VPs now know my name. Awesome.

Damn, add conditional formatting and you'll get a promotion*.

*Your mileage may vary. Requires Excel 2007. No refunds.

It's probably worthwhile to talk about some of the fucked up things people do with Excel. One of my previous bosses gave me a spreadsheet with a macro that she had recorded that was thousands and thousands of lines. It was basically building up intermediate values by inserting formulas into various cells, then using those values to build up more intermediate values, and using those to get the final values, and then the values where copied, and all the formulas deleted. All the formulas used relative positions, and many used VLookup (and I think HLookup. There's an HLookup right?). It was incredibly fucked up.

To this day I can't believe she though someone could edit the thing by hand. I took one look at it and replaced it with 100 lines of vba. It turned out the tables used as inputs came from a webapp, so I could have just screen scraped the webapp, and saved everyone a lot of trouble, but I just wanted to get rid of that thing.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jesus, very similar to the reports they use here. I've combined Access and made a few Pivot Tables to keep them drooling - the problem is my position (Aspect UIP Admin) has very little upward movement. I can basically take my bosses job...and that's it. I need to meet the CIO and start talking to him.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    kharvelankharvelan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    here's a funny story that is overly long. . .

About 8 years ago I worked in a call center and part of my job was to cut and paste a very large number of data from a phone call system into excel, sort the data and create tables which took friggin forever back in those days. After about 2 or 3 days of doing it manually I got the bright idea of making an excel macro for it (you can access other applications in excels macro functions most of the time). So, I automated this entire task. this macro would run for about 4 hours just collecting all the data and then churning it into usable chunks, formatting etc. I let this macro run everyday 5 days a week for about 2 months.

One day my computer at work crashed during the report generation and refused to reboot. I smelled smoke and opened the case. The computer had a 300 mhz celeron processor on one of those adapaters that made it perpendicular to the board, and I guess one of the clips had fallen off. Well the tech who had fixed the chip, used ducttape to stabilize the processor. This duct tape had finally gotten hot enough from that stupid processor running at 100% everyday for 2 months to finally melt through and lay on the board, melting all over the chip and everything.

So yeah, excel + stupid techs can kill computers.

kharvelan on
    go fuck yourself PA forums
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Duct Tape?

picard_facepalm.jpg

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Excel-fu, access, and VBscripts are amazing tools when they are all you have. Visual basic is pretty much built into the back end of the fuckers and you can do shitloads of work in little time. Most people dont get you can make a pretty sophisticated frontend/backend database out of access using what boils down to VB and a little work.

For the longest time I had no SQL or .net software or access because of bureaucracy at work. I am not a programmer, so I cant have their tools, despite having a BS in computer science with a focus on programming. It took alot of time and results to change peoples minds.

I havent run into a position where Ive needed Hlookup yet, but I have everyone conditioned to set things up more like a database table. My old Director would refused to classify or mark data, instead insisting on color coding everything. I had to rearrange her data so often she finally got too frustrated with trying to fix everything with highlighting she got learn't. They are also all conditioned to request reporting in a manner that is close to speaking a SQL sentence "I want to see x, from all y, where z and zz". That is the holy grail and makes your life a ton easier becuase half the time they realize you cant link certain types of data uniquely, and retract other unreasonable requests halfway through making them.

Countif,sumif,search and Left(right()) and trim() combos rock, and make peoples minds asplode... My boss figured out the if statement, and then he saw a nested if statement and said "fuck this noise" and gave up ever since.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, can anyone point me to a page or walkthrough that will explain VLOOKUP in a down to earth, teachable way? Apparently, I'm not any good at explaining it.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This description is not bad:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    What's the easiest way to turn tab delimited sales reports into Excel visualized data?

Need it for graphing various data.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to turn tab delimited sales reports into Excel visualized data?

Need it for graphing various data.

If you have a tab-delimited text file you should be able to open it in excel pretty easily.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Go into Excel, go to Open, select file type: Text files

When you get the file into the program, mark it as delimited (not fixed width).

1ddqd on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vlookup is fun.

I got a lot of mileage out of those alone too. The conditional formatting just blew their minds, man!

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One of our marketing guys had to do some multiply price by some number then reverse to create a price code he used in his price lists. Each list was about 900 lines long. He made several different versions of them. Every year.
    When I heard this, I wrote a function for him in VBS(learning it as I went) in 4 hours. He was duly impressed.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I needed to do a countif today, but with multiple criteria. Then I remembered I actually learned how to use this while Ive never ever had a practical use for it. array functions. Those fuckers are crazy. "wait wait, I have to hold buttons when I hit enter? This must be some sort of tr-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH sex me up big boy!"
    sexing up not included

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I needed to do a countif today, but with multiple criteria. Then I remembered I actually learned how to use this while Ive never ever had a practical use for it. array functions. Those fuckers are crazy. "wait wait, I have to hold buttons when I hit enter? This must be some sort of tr-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH sex me up big boy!"
    sexing up not included

haha in Excel 2007 it's much easier, but yeah, those things blew my mind in high school. It was like "I CAN DO AVERAGEIF?! Awesome!!"

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Help me Obi Wan Penny-Arcade-i, you'd my only hope!

I have a sheet that I'm using to calculate counts and sums based on values
    that change daily.

I have "Days" (A1:A10) column that tells me how long an item has been
    sitting idle.
    I have "UPB" (B1:B10) field that tells me the value of that item.

What I'm trying to do is get a sum of Column B if Days (A) is greater than or equal to 180
    and the UPB (B) is less than 50,000.

excel.jpg

1ddqd on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're trying to "sum Column C"? Then what is Column C? o_O

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    =if(and(sum(a1:10)>=180,sum(b1:b10)<50000),sum(c1:c10),"")

Something like that?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    =if(and(sum(a1:10)>=180,sum(b1:b10)<50000),sum(c1:c10),"")

Something like that?

It may be easier to explain this in SQLish terms

I want to SUM C WHERE A >= 180 AND B <= 50000 - caps = code, not yelling ;)

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Same question: what the heck is C? You can't sum something that doesn't exist.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's what you need to do, add in a column that will be your "counting" column and use something like...
    =if(and(a1>=180,b1<=50000),1,0)

Then have your solution be a sumproduct of the two columns

RuddurBall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Probably don't need any temp columns. I'm just waiting to hear the whole problem though. D:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RuddurBallRuddurBall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What it sounds like to me, is that column C contains some value that he wants to add up if columns A and B meet the requirements.

RuddurBall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    His original wording confused me but I see now yeah, it has to be that.

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10>=180)*(B1:B10<50000),C1:C10)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    RuddurBall wrote: »
    What it sounds like to me, is that column C contains some value that he wants to add up if columns A and B meet the requirements.

Egads, sorry, no I completely screwed this up. Edited original post to include the revision
    excel.jpg

1ddqd on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So you want the sum total UBP value of all items under 50K which have been idle more than 180 days?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So you want the sum total UBP value of all items under 50K which have been idle more than 180 days?

Yes. I think SUMPRODUCT does what I want, but I don't know how to do the syntax properly.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd just use column C. Use "=IF(B2<50000,B2,"")", and then =SUMIF(">180", A:A,C:C). I think that's the right SUMIF syntax. I don't know.

You've got columns to spare on this sheet. It's not an unreasonable solution, and it exposes the logic of what you're doing to any third party that might have to interpret your work later on.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Then change

to

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10>=180)*(B1:B10<50000),B1:B10)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Weird excel problem. I am updating a spreadsheet from last year. It has 15 or so tabs and I like to highlight the tabs a different color when I am done so I know which ones I have finished. Everything is fine until I save and re-open. All my work has been saved, but I lose my tab colors....

Anyone ever see this before?

edit: figured it out. The file was saved as a real old version of excel. Save as -> current version, works fine now.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Then change

to

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10>=180)*(B1:B10<50000),B1:B10)
    My Excel Fu is pretty weak, but if you're just doing a sum, it seems easier to just use SUMIFS (may be Excel 2007 only for all I know):

=SUMIFS(B3:B12, A3:A12, ">=180", B3:B12, "<50000")
    =SUMIFS(column to sum, criteria range 1, criteria 1, criteria range 2, criteria 2)

There is no similar function for SUMPRODUCTIFS that I know of though.

DigDug2000 on