Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    is there a new job to go with it too?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, the RD has access to the control room. Just about anyone can get to the gate.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, we have space-lawyers now! Does this mean I can space-sue someone... in space?

On another note, had a really, really strange round on Friday night. I was in the session where Skulk got gibbed, but stayed alive. He was invisible to me, though he could still talk on the radio, and point to things. It was really peculiar, particularly since he kept talking as if he were stunned. I spent most of my time after that trying to get out of handcuffs, thanks to Beepsky going nuts on me. Then, after a teleporter mishap, I had to space myself - And by blind luck I wound up getting back to the station.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, we have space-lawyers now! Does this mean I can space-sue someone... in space?

They have had space-lawyers for a while.
    On another note, had a really, really strange round on Friday night. I was in the session where Skulk got gibbed, but stayed alive. He was invisible to me, though he could still talk on the radio, and point to things. It was really peculiar, particularly since he kept talking as if he were stunned.
    silenceinlibrary.jpg

Also, ran into a problem with the C# port of CC13. It seems that it doesn't to bitwise maths too hot without a bunch of bit shifting. Looking into it.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SCIENCE HAS BEEN DONE!
    th_dreamseeker2010-09-1921-02-53-97.png

MegaMek on
  • Options
    SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MegaMek wrote: »
    SCIENCE HAS BEEN DONE!

Hahahahahahahaha, Awesome.

Skulk on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did you remember to move the radiation collectors so it can actually produce power from there? Are the rad collectors even movable?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They aren't. Everyone died.

EDIT: Starting with that blond roboticist in the picture. He wanted to get a closer look I guess, so he opened the door.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Skulk wrote: »
    SCIENCE HAS BEEN DONE!

I need to get back on this once Minecraft stops being free. Can't resist me some of that SCIENCE!

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SCIENCE HAS BEEN DONE!

I don't get it. What happened? Are those lasers?

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    alset85 wrote: »
    SCIENCE HAS BEEN DONE!

I don't get it. What happened? Are those lasers?

They set up the singularity engine in the bar, instead of in engineering. It was pulling up the tiles and ripping out the doors after a while. The fact that this is even possible is fantastic.

Later, when I realized that I was the only person on the station, I wandered into the bar despite previous warnings. I was able to confirm that, yes, singularities are still indeed quite deadly.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been stopping in on JDark's server occasionally, but it pretty much seems to be dead now.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    With Civ 5 coming out tomorrow, I think that trend may continue.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just spent about an hour on the server, all by my lonesome, trying to make a bomb (and failing). Haven't really noticed too many other people around when I've poked my nose in lately, though.

Is it ill-advised for freshblood to waltz into the Goon server or the /tg/ server? I gather they're rather hostile toward pubbies, but more importantly it sounds like their servers are pretty different than the one we use.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been playing on the Goon server and they run a pretty tight ship, just like we do.

Basically don't do the things you don't do on our server, and you'll be fine.

I even had a chat about Xenomorphs with one of their admins. Apparently like half of the humans would just wander into Xenomorph land just to be an alien.

We make kill teams. :D

MechMantis on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, I prefer to play on Jdarksun's server if its an option. The playerbase/admins are better than on the goons or tg's servers. I've been busy with classes the past week or two. When I get a chance to play, I check jdarksun's server, but usually the population is too small. If it can get up to at least 12, then you can get a decent game going. But less than that, and the entire crew is composed of traitors.

If you're looking for a job to try out as a noobie, go medical doctor. You don't have many time critical responsibilities, and 99% of the time you never need to save someone from the brink of death. (because murders don't leave their victims lying in critical condition in the hallway, they keep bludgeoning them until they stop breathing).

Mainly, you're expected to drag corpses over to genetics.

Helpful hints:

grab the beakers out of the medical lockers, and fill them with an anti-toxins/innaprovaline mix. I get three beakers, and empty 10 units of anti-toxins into each beaker, then 10 units of innaprovaline. This makes a lot of tricordizane, a miracle drug that heals burn/toxin/brute damage. If someone has taken damage, an injection of this stuff will take care of them.

Grab some syringes of tricordizane, and wander the station health scanning/healing people. You will find people in 3 states. Perfectly fine (ignore them), slightly injured (use some tricordizane), or completely dead (drag back to medbay and whine to the geneticist).

Bruisepacks are better against brute damage, but you need to target the specific body part that's damaged (99% of the time, head/torso).

ointment heals burn damage....but its....weird....ditch one or both tubes to make room for tricordizane.

Just use tricordizane to deal with toxin damage.

On the off chance that you do find yourself in the situation where you need to act fast to save someone's life, you can always stuff them in a sleeper and find someone who knows what they're doing. (sleepers are basically stasis cells, they prevent their body from further deteriorating.)

I'm planning on writing up an MD guide in a couple days that will cover all the healing gear, cryo tubes, and the goon's port-a-medbay.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, I prefer to play on Jdarksun's server if its an option. The playerbase/admins are better than on the goons or tg's servers.
    Yeah, too much metagaming on the goon servers.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Seriously, 99% of the time in a nuke round, some #$#@ builds R-walls to block the shuttle door.

Seriously, the crew isn't supposed to know where the shuttle is. Unless you follow an idiot syndi back.

That and "take off your mask, or I'll kill you". Why? "because it might be a voice changer,"

voice changer, whoa boy. This is an RP game, and I thought that the crew weren't supposed to know about the existence of syndicate uplinks, much less black ops syndicate gear.

Sure, if you're caught murdering a guy or carrying an exotic weapon around, then you deserve to be arrested/killed. But "he's wearing a gas mask on the airless station, get him."

One nuke round on the goon servers, I saw the captain and security calling for the arrest of a man. The detective asked him why he was wanted. Captain said he was a confirmed syndi operative, detective asked what he did. Captain said he was wearing a gasmask/a blue jumpsuit (as opposed to a grey one)/and had insulated gloves....

He was a syndi, but that's beside the point. They guy had infiltrated the station and acquired a believable disguise. No visible syndi gear, no murdering, just talking to the crew and stuff. But oh shi, he's wearing a different color jumpsuit that players don't automatically spawn with. Players never change their jumpsuits, he's gotta be a syndi then.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, after a couple of days of playing this I'm STILL quite lost.

I sort of know what to do, but combat feels so awkward. I was the environmental engineer last round I played (what do these guys do anyway? I mostly dragged air units around in case of atmospheric failures) and when walking back to my station through the airlock, one guy ran up to me as the doors closed and the other one cycled.

I know never to trust anyone and this guy wasn't even an engineer. Sure enough I suddenly see something glowing in his hands. I was already trying to set my intent to harm instead of help, but in that time he knocked me out by a single strike to the head, then proceeded to bludgeon me to certain death (or something). Not sure what I could have done there.

I've also been a traitor once. My assignment was to kill the QM, except I had no idea how to get into his station. The admins on the goon server were actually helpful for once, suggesting I had a complete carte blanche when it came to killing etc. They even saved me from a random blackhole/teleporter spacing, giving me a second chance. Still failed though..

LionEyez on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, combat is terrible in this game, tho it sounds like that guy had an energy sword so there was nothing you could do. Some general pointers:

-If you aren't security, you will probably die to any well-armed opponent. Keep a toolbox or big air-tank on hand, since they are really heavy and can knock foes down in only a few hits to the head.

-Set your target to the head by clicking on the figure at the top right of your screen. Do this at the begining of the round so you don't have to do it when you're being attacked, since it'll be too late by then.

-Leave your intent to disarm at all times. If you aren't sure that someone means you harm, click on them with an open hand to disarm them, and potentially push them to the floor. From there you can deliver a coup-de-gras with your weapon of choice, if you're sure they need to die.

-Don't bother setting your intent to harm unless you have stun gloves. Clicking on someone with an item in your hand will generally attack even if your intent is to help, unless it has a specific function to perform when you click on a person (like syringes and med-scanners, etc).

-Never click once, especially on the laggy goon servers. You keep clicking until your opponent is gasping for air (a sure indication that he's in critical status, and will die shortly). At that point, feel free to flee the area.

-If you are security, keep your vest and helmet on. They reduce damage to your body and head, and can outright ignore attacks. Use your stun gun to incapacitate foes at range, then keep your stun rod out as you apprehend them, to keep them civil.

Again, these are just general pointers. You'll get better at it with practice.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah, thanks. That was actually really helpful!

Weird how I couldn't even find such basic information in the wiki..

LionEyez on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    -Never click once, especially on the laggy goon servers. You keep clicking until your opponent is gasping for air (a sure indication that he's in critical status, and will die shortly). At that point, feel free to flee the area.

On that note, type say "*gasp to perform a gasping emote at any time as long as you're conscious.

jothki on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And if you're real ballsy, say *deathgasp to fake your death.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Has the server beem down for a while for everyone else?

Skulk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yup. I'm bringing the server down for a while. The latest code drop totally F'd up reporting, but as far as I can tell, it has been unpopulated for nearly a week.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a version of SS13 that's more along the lines of Half-life or Doom. The station would function exactly like it always has, but there would also be a large parallel dimension filled with monsters and other nifty things, including some recipe components that could only be found there. Occasionly smaller portals would appear in random locations for a short periods, and possibly discharge monsters or suck nearby people in. It would also be possible to set up permanent portals or rig devices to open those smaller portals. Depending on the game type and traitor objectives you could theoretically play an entire game with everyone staying on the station, but clearing out parts of the alternate dimension would give you access to nifty things and reduce the chances of something nasty crossing over into the station without you being aware of it.

I think something like that could be done entirely with the current interface, just by adding things on top. The station could even remain largely structurally intact, just with a bit of added storage for the new tools that will be needed like extradimensional transmitters.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Yup. I'm bringing the server down for a while. The latest code drop totally F'd up reporting, but as far as I can tell, it has been unpopulated for nearly a week.

Whoops, Must have missed that.

Skulk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I wonder how hard it would be to make a version of SS13 that's more along the lines of Half-life or Doom. The station would function exactly like it always has, but there would also be a large parallel dimension filled with monsters and other nifty things, including some recipe components that could only be found there. Occasionly smaller portals would appear in random locations for a short periods, and possibly discharge monsters or suck nearby people in. It would also be possible to set up permanent portals or rig devices to open those smaller portals. Depending on the game type and traitor objectives you could theoretically play an entire game with everyone staying on the station, but clearing out parts of the alternate dimension would give you access to nifty things and reduce the chances of something nasty crossing over into the station without you being aware of it.

I think something like that could be done entirely with the current interface, just by adding things on top. The station could even remain largely structurally intact, just with a bit of added storage for the new tools that will be needed like extradimensional transmitters.

Could the nightmare dimensions be set up as normally inaccessible z-levels? Kinda like the z-level where the cargo and emergency shuttles hang out when they aren't docked with the station.

The dimensional portals could be like the space-time anomalies random event, except it has a chance of sending you to the nightmare dimension in addition to SS13....although perhaps the destination on nightmare station shouldn't be completely random. It would suck to appear in a window or on nightmare solars AND be surrounded by demons.

The aliens and demons could just be spawned randomly on SS13 at random intervals, kinda like how kudzu and the blob appear at random in a random part of the station. Engineering, and their black hole, should also be a focal point of bad things. If there's anything Event Horizon taught me, its that hellspawn and reality warping devices mix well together.

edit: Neo-phyte, jothki. Thank you for those e-motes.

I will be sure to make use of them....although I don't know how good they will be in practice. Perhaps if I'm being choked to death...otherwise I'm usually just bludgeoned and likely to get knocked out before I can play dead.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I didn't think to feign death before. Goddamn, you really do learn something new everyday with this game.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Feigning death is a good last ditch attempt to get abusive security officers to open door so you can choke them out.

Lokiamis on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Note that it'll be incredibly obvious that you're faking it to anyone who bothers to actually examine you, since you'll lack that message that you're dying or dead.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh I know.

But the next time some random dude decides to attack me in a central hallway, I'll be sure to give this gambit a try. He may be too worried about making this quick before a sec officer walks by.

Ideally, all I really need it to do is cause him enough pause to let me stun glove him.

Still, I prefer the self defense method I employ as a QM. Order robotics crates, then drag my pet securitron around with me wherever I need to go on the station. If some guy attacks me, SECURITRON IS THE LAW.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh I know.

But the next time some random dude decides to attack me in a central hallway, I'll be sure to give this gambit a try. He may be too worried about making this quick before a sec officer walks by.

Ideally, all I really need it to do is cause him enough pause to let me stun glove him.

Still, I prefer the self defense method I employ as a QM. Order robotics crates, then drag my pet securitron around with me wherever I need to go on the station. If some guy attacks me, SECURITRON IS THE LAW.

Hmmm..good tip! You really do learn something every day. Now I only have about a million somethings left to go before I begin to understand it all.

LionEyez on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    just to let you guys know, the port is still in work :)

75762528.png

halkun on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    halkun wrote: »

75762528.png

Sounds great. I'm really looking forward to a SS13 that's beyond BYOND.

Bad joke? Bad joke. I need to sacrifice more shoes to the clown gods Hyuk and Guffaw.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh I know.

Heh I actually did that as accident my first time as QM. The traitor was trying to get in to mag the console, and had me order a robotics crate so he could come in and get it. I insisted on delivering it via the mule, but couldn't figure out how to load the crate. Ended up accidentally opening the crate up and the medic and security bot activated.
    He then ended up breaking in and tried shooting me, the medic immediately came over and started pumping me full of drugs to keep me alive while the securitron went postal. Was great.

Morkath on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    halkun wrote: »

75762528.png

:)

rayofash on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Halkun is a hero. <3

Good luck with your project.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How much work is necessary to replace the BYOND backend?

jothki on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How much work is necessary to replace the BYOND backend?

All the work.

I mean really, I'm assuming he's using XNA, and that provides a lot of built in functionality but there would still be LOTS to program to even get to the level of functionality that the current SS13 has.

The up shot is that once he gets it going the code will be much more robust allowing much greater improvements to the game than would be possible with BYOND.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and often am.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.