As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

regarding ipods

ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
i'm thinking about buying an ipod classic off of craigslist. when it comes to a music player i couldn't possibly care less about how sleek and stylish the all aluminum case is, how light/thin it is, or some novelty feature like an accelerometer to "shuffle" the songs. i don't even care if it's a little "bricky", to be honest. my main concern is storage space. 95% of the time it will sit either in my lap while riding the bus or in my bag on my walk to/from the bus stop and work/home. my question(s) are: do i have to use itunes to load/sync music files to/from my pc? are there any third-party programs i can do this with? can i access the ipod manually like a thumb drive?

tl:dr HOW DO I SHOT IPOD??

armedroberty.jpg
ascannerlightly on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    no, i use winamp. hate itunes and you can use it like a thumb drive but what you put in there like that you can't play as songs.

tldr; winamp

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Depending on how old it is, you might well be able to replace the firmware with Rockbox, which would then allow you to manage your music just by dragging and dropping it into a folder tree. The nice thing about this is that it behaves just like a portable hard drive that also plays music.

However, the main advantage of using an iPod is iTunes. If you're not going to use it, why iPod? Why not look at other players that might work like you want natively?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i plan to use itunes at some point in the future, i was just wondering if i "had" to. i'm looking at the ipod classic specifically because of it's aforementioned storage capacity and (because of it's relative age) the lower price range. i also think they're well-designed as far as controls & ui. my current music player is this piece of shit. 2 gig and the software (firmware? i guess?) acts weird. it crashes and at random chooses to only see 25% of the currently-loaded files. if anyone knows of an inexpensive, reliable mp3 player in the 20g range i'm open to suggestions.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i plan to use itunes at some point in the future, i was just wondering if i "had" to. i'm looking at the ipod classic specifically because of it's aforementioned storage capacity and (because of it's relative age) the lower price range. i also think they're well-designed as far as controls & ui. my current music player is this piece of shit. 2 gig and the software (firmware? i guess?) acts weird. it crashes and at random chooses to only see 25% of the currently-loaded files. if anyone knows of an inexpensive, reliable mp3 player in the 20g range i'm open to suggestions.

cheap video player?

creative zen. i had a 30gb version for 2 years before it broke

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    music player. if it will play videos too (such as the ipod classic) then hey, great. but my main focus is music.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    update:
    creative zen. i had a 30gb version for 2 years before it broke
    winner. after some more digging i found a "used" creative zen vision:m 30gb for $45.

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure from your last post if you bough tit or not, but I can reccomend the old iPod 4th generation models. I worked a summer repairing iPods; those ones are built like rocks. Tough the break.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As a counterpoint, I had a Creative Zen which broke after a few months of usage. I went over to the iPod line from there and have been pretty pleased with things since.

If you're using a PC and you're just loading music, you can't beat foobar2000 and foo_dop.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg