As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest on] 4e Playtest (hybrid characters from D&D Insider)

HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
Hi folks,

Thinking about running a one-shot, short dungeon crawl for two players using the Hybrid Playtest article from DDI.

Having the Hybrid Playtest from wizards.com/dnd is a requirement for playing this game.

I will not under any circumstances distribute this article to anyone. Don't ask me to do this, and also don't offer to do so or solicit such a thing in the thread.

The playtest rules are for PHB Classes and also Swordmage. The only material available to players will be from the Player's Handbook and the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. Don't bitch about this. You're big boys and girls now.

The adventure is likely to be a variation of a Dungeon Mag article or a handful of encounters from some other published adventure that I happen to own.

Please declare interest, and if you're willing to put your back into it, post a character sheet using the playtest rules from the book. Don't ask me rules questions. If you can play, you can read the rules and understand them just fine.

If you're really really interested:
Do have access to the Hybrid Playtest from wizards.com

Do post a Character Sheet. Don't use mythweavers please. I don't care for it at all and prefer to have character sheets in the thread itself. This sort of format is what I'd prefer to use as a player and have available to me as a DM. If you post a mythweavers link I'm not likely to look at it. That is to say I won't. Don't bitch about this. If you don't like it, don't declare interest.

Do post a background. Do write a concise one that tells me what I need to know about this dude. Or just a series of bullet points. I like those too. Don't make this a long treatise that tells the story of their whole damn life. It's not necessary for a one-shot and I won't read it.

Do list other games you played in and are playing in. Also reference a single post that you think makes you look good. A post that shows how you can roleplay and handle combat at the same time is the sort of thing I like. Don't do this for every game you've played in, I only want to see one.

Do declare how many times per day you typically post in a game thread. Don't be someone who flakes out, or who thinks you might. That sort of thing irritates me.
If you think playtesting something new and nifty with a somewhat abrasive and nefarious DM at the helm sounds like the bee's knees, the cat's pajamas, or some other (insert animal) (insert article of human clothing or anatomy), then maybe you're the type of person who would like this.

So with that, interest on.

PS: also don't signup in lime or any shit like that. It's a pet peeve of mine. This ain't no Phalla.

PPS: level 5, standard 22 pt. buy -- game will be a Play-By-Post

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
Horseshoe on

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You running PbP or through some sort of chat or maptools type program, 'shoe?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    whoops forgot to mention that it's PbP, didn't I.

thanks, Pope.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I would be all over this if it wasn't limited to PHBI/FR, cause I've got a serious yearning for a Warforged Warlock/Fighter or Warlord who uses the new Eldritch Strike in place of Blast to have some fun. Other than that, most of my wanted combinations involve PHBII classes, so the templates for them aren't out yet.

Oh well. I'll at least be watching this with interest.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In that case, I'm interested and will begin compiling the needed elements so that I may be judged.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    jdark,

What are you thinking about making? Right now, I'm leaning Swordmage/Warlock or Warlord/Warlock. It seems like Defender/Striker or Defender/Leader is a good route to go.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In that case, I'll go for Warlord/Warlock so that we have some healing capability.

Edit: Actually, maybe Warlord/Paladin, since I like the idea of us going toe to toe with the baddies, bashing their faces in hardcore-style up-close.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In that case, I'll go for Warlord/Warlock so that we have some healing capability.

Edit: Actually, maybe Warlord/Paladin, since I like the idea of us going toe to toe with the baddies, bashing their faces in hardcore-style up-close.

Why not warlord/swordmage? Both classes can be played as str/int, and the hide proficiency from warlord means you don't have to blow a feat on it as a swordmage.

Although I guess it comes down to whether you want to be a dragonborn or genasi, at least from an optimization standpoint. And frankly, if you guys are going to be 2-manning shit, you probably need every advantage you can get.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    delroland wrote: »

Why not warlord/swordmage? Both classes can be played as str/int, and the hide proficiency from warlord means you don't have to blow a feat on it as a swordmage.

Although I guess it comes down to whether you want to be a dragonborn or genasi, at least from an optimization standpoint. And frankly, if you guys are going to be 2-manning shit, you probably need every advantage you can get.

I thought with hybrids you only got the armor that is shared by both classes? So if you pick wizard/paladin, you don't automatically get plate?

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    delroland wrote: »

I thought you only get armor proficiencies for those that the two hybrids share? Or am I thinking weapons?

EDIT: Beated. Barely.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ShananiganeerShananiganeer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    You only get shared armor proficiency.

Exactly why you can't use a shield. Anyway here is my dude.
    Level 5 Dragonborn Pally/Cleric
    Init +6;Senses Perception +4 (Passive 14)
    AC 19 Fort 17 Reflex 15 Will 15 Speed 5
    HP 44; Bloodied 22; Surge Value 11; Surges/Day 8
    Speed 5 Squares
    Melee Basic Flaming Halberd+1, +9 vs AC (1d10+7)
    Atk Options Divine Challenge (Hybrid)
    Special Actions Action Point, Second Wind
    At-Will Powers Righteous Brand (Cleric), Holy Strike (Pally), Lay on Hands (2/day Pally), Flaming Halberd (Item)
    Encounter Powers Dragon Breath (Fire), Healing Word (2/encounter Cleric), Healing Strike (Cleric), Righteous Smite (Pally)
    Daily Powers Paladin's Judgment (...), Weapon of the Gods (Cleric)
    Utility Powers Cure Light Wounds (1/day Cleric)
    Daily Item Powers Flaming Halberd+1, Dwarven Armor+1, Symbol of Life+1
    Abilities Str 18, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 16
    Feats Weapon Focus (Axes), Hybrid Talent (Lay on Hands), Astral Fire
    Skills Diplomacy +10, Heal +9, Insight +9, Religion +6
    Possessions Flaming Halberd+1, Dwarven Armor+1, Symbol of Life+1, Bracers of Mighty Striking, Horned Helm, Crossbow, 100 bolts, Adventurer's Kit, 55g

Cleric + Pally = Super religious zealot. I think that's enough backstory.

I traded the level 4 item in for an equivalent value of level 2's. If that's no good I'll get other stuff.

Shananiganeer on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd like to throw in on this if one of the above can't. Swordmage/Wizard, probably. Be good to have a LockLord or something as well.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    applications are still open

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alek of the Clouds
    • Entered monastery at young age for martial arts training
    • Knack for the Arcane, set out to find an elderly wizard, friend of his father
    • Old man never found, apprenticed under an Eladrin mage in first adventuring troop
    • During adventures, fused the monastic and magical styles together, gained reputation as a local hero and powerful mage.

Level 5 Human Wizard/Swordmage (Hybrid)
    Init +2; Senses Perception +2 (passive 12)
    Defenses AC 20, Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 17
    HP 54; Bloodied 27; Surge Value 13; Surges/Day 10
    Speed 5 squares
    Melee Basic Quarterstaff, +5 vs AC (1d8 + 1) or
    Melee Basic Unarmed, +2 vs AC (1d4)
    Special Actions: Action Point (See Action Surge), Second Wind 1/enc
    At Will Spells:
    Thunderwave (+7 v Fort, Close Blast 3, 1d6 + 5 damage, 3 square knockback)
    Scorching Burst (+7 v Reflex, Burst 1 Within 10, 1d6 + 5 Fire)
    Booming Blade (+9 v AC Melee, 1d6 + 5 damage, 1d6 + 4 if the target starts adjacent and moves away)
    Encounter Spells:
    Transposing Lunge (+9 v AC Melee, 2d6 + 5 damage and teleport target adjacent. Usable with Aegis of Sheilding Interrupt)
    Burning Hands(+7 v Reflex, Close Blast 3, 2d6 + 5 damage)
    Daily Spells:
    Frost Backlash: (+9 v Reflex, Immediate Interrupt 3d6 + 5 cold damage)
    Web: (+7 v Reflex, Burst 2 within 20, Target Immobilized, area difficult, end turn within immobilized)
    Utility Spells:
    Shield: +4 to AC and Reflex, 1 round.
    Swordmage Features:
    Aegis of Sheilding (Once per encounter, recharges upon target reaching 0 hp or another mark superceeding it)(Mark / If attack hits reduce damage by 8 as Immediate Interrupt)
    Wizard Features
    Staff of Defense (See Hybrid Talent. +1 to AC (passive), +3 to AC as Immediate Interrupt 1/Enc)
    Abilities Str 10, Con 17, Dex 10, Int 19, Wis 11, Cha 8
    Feats:
    Hybrid Talent: Staff of Defense
    Armor Proficiency: Leather
    Retributive Shield (+2 To attacks against triggerer of Aegis of Shielding)
    Action Surge
    Skills Acrobatics +2, Arcana +11, Athletics +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance: +10, Heal +2, History +6, Insight +2, Intimidate +1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion: +11, Stealth +2, Streetwise +1, Thievery +2
    Possessions Adventurer's Kit, Staff of Storms +1, Bloodcut Leather Armor +1, Amulet of Protection +2, 8x Potion of Healing, 460 gp

I work at my computer and always am on it in class, so I can post pretty much real-time during the day and a couple times a night.

Legionnaired on