Options

Steal my town? Quiver before darkling might in DOKAPON KINGDOM (Go to hell 56K)

MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
So I searched, couldn't find a thread dedicated to this. The recent discovery of DOKAPON JOURNEY on the DS by Tycho has prompted me to make this thread. This is for the Wii/PS2 original game that inspired the DS sequel:

DOKAPON KINGDOM

dokapon_boxart_wii.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Gameplay

The game is a hybrid board game and RPG with modes varying from story mode to battle royale.

Players spin a spinner and then move to any spot on the board that is reachable by moving that number of spaces. Players will have the freedom to choose the direction they want to go. Landing on an "empty" yellow space or another player will typically cause a battle, which plays out in rock-paper-scissors style, with the Attack option beating Counter, the Counter option beating Strike, and the Defend option resisting the Attack option. Multiple magics and stat changes play out both in battle and on the game board, while class-specific skills increase with player level.

Three starting classes are available to the new adventurer (warrior, thief, and magician), and following a pattern of leveling, ten character classes are possible.

The game will always include at least two characters and the game allows one to four human players to participate. Human players may leave and be replaced by CPU opponents at any stage of the game, and vice-versa.

A key element of the game is hindering the progress of other players. Players can obstruct each other by hiring assassins, or bandits to cause harm to the player. They also have the option of stealing tax revenue and player-controlled cities. Due to the tension these events are likely to cause, Atlus has dubbed the game "friendship destroying" in their marketing materials.

The game is won by the player with the most money at the end. A unique system of upgrades makes sure no player gets too far behind to catch up and get ahead. The player who wins the story mode gets to marry the King's daughter - even if the player concerned is female.

s35563_wii_1.jpg

Imagine if you were playing DRAGON WARRIOR on the NES, except, 3 of your friends were playing DRAGON WARRIOR as well. Only, all in the same game world. So you had to compete for quests and resources. This is DOKAPON KINGDOM. This is where men are made. "The Friendship Destroying" game feels quite accurate as although many quests require the players to work as a team, in the end it's easier to betray your friends because inevitably only one of you can be the victor.

Part of what makes this game so fun is there are so many ways to play it. It's not the deepest leveling and stat system but it really allows for a lot of customization.

There are three classes available at the start:

Warrior
dokapon-warrior-2.jpg

Mage
dokapon-mage-2.jpg

Thief
Thief_Male.jpg

And you can max these out in combination to one another to unlock more and more classes! In addition every time you level you can add stat boosts to whichever one's you'd like.

s35563_wii_27.jpg

The mains storyline focuses around the king of Dokapon sending you on various quests and errands with an overarching goal of making money. Money is the single most important thing to Dokapon society, and the game comes off very tongue in cheek because of it.

One of the most interesting gameplay aspects is the fact that there's really no way to dominate in this game. So much is left to chance that you'll often spend ten turns completely DOMINATING everyone, and thinking you've got it in the bag, and then for the next ten turns someone else will take EVERYTHING you just had and mock you all the while. This game truly can destroy friendships. If you're in fourth place and feeling down on your luck, you can be offered a trade to essentially sell your soul (along with all money, towns, and resources) and have all of your stats quadrupled for the next several turns as you can revive boss monsters and completely kill all other places and throw everything they have away. This is called becoming a darkling. You also get to look like a badass demon version of your character during this time as well.

So come one come all and discuss your DOKAPON KINGDOM stories. I'm sure there are lots cause this game is honestly amazing. I just bought two copies of Dokapon Journey on DS so my younger sister and I can take this on the road. I'll add more about that game once I'm more familiar, so far it's more of the same, but PORTABLE.

Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
MC Mystery on

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love board games, but I do not love board games that rely heavily on chance.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The game never really feels like it's completely chance based or anything, just on occasion random events can occur that can greatly effect the game. Certain curses and items you can use on your opponents can have varying effects in a positive or negative way based on this. The randomness is more a balancing issue than anything.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I keep meaning to pick this up, as I know my partner would adore it. I should get on that one of these days.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From Three Panel Soul (formerly Mac Hall):

112.jpg
    121.jpg

Interesting fact: Dokapon Journey is actually a DS port of the SNES Dokapon series entry, whereas Dokapon Kingdom is a newer version of the game.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh! I didn't even know about the Japanese series. Give links for more info on the original series and I'll ad them to the OP. That comic is adorable.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You've got the GBA gem, which isn't exactly the same flavor of board game / RPG as the others, as well as this other PS2 / GameCube entry. Oh, and an ancient Game Boy Color portion. The newest DS game, Journey, is a remake of a game called "Dokapon 3-2-1", but I can't seem to find much out about that one online.

Cruising over to the more recent times, there's an up-and-coming PC game, Dokapon World Online, and what looks like a mobile phone version. I'm not surprised, because everything gets a phone game in Japan.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit. Hopefully online Dokapon will hit the states, and for my sake, Macs.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Interestingly enough, end of semester means my Dokapon crew is back in action.

Journey is better balanced in a lot of ways. Gets rid of the dominance of magic, makes striking worth it if you have high sp, and has easier cpu opponents.

Kingdom has that crazy job system though. Switching classes is hella fun, and having a decent challenge on the cpu end is good for you friendless losers out there.

That being said I'd kill for online though.

50 hour game of Talisman with more shit to do? Yes please.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I saw this game for 20 bucks at the ol gamestop.

So if you play with your friends for a bit, but decide to play alone later or with different people, how does that work exactly?

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I also take offense at the notion that the game is balanced because luck can or will knock top players out of the lead. That is not actually how this game works.

It's actually closer to Mario Kart style play where the game changing events favor those in last.

Consider this, being in last for 2-4 weeks is enough to get the bat. Usually a week after that you will get the contract. Now expert player can indeed try and prevent someone from going Darkling, but its usually easy enough to hide for a few weeks and make your move. Darklings are good enough to kill almost anyone, and anytime you kill a PC who is higher level than you you will match their level. Killing someone also allows you to get rid of a piece of their equipment or a valuable town or such, or take all their money. Darklings can also reset all the towns to their original monster filled state, given a very little luck, making it anyone's game.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'd definitely compare it to Mario Kart, but arguably more balanced than Mario Kart.

Also, others might disagree with me, but I honestly can not imagine this game being very fun without a few friends around. It was my sister's birthday today (She turned 9!) and since I'm 11 years older than her, we've never really got to play many games together before (She hates competitive games cause she feels like I let her win, and co-op games she generally loses interest in pretty fast cause she argues that we're only playing them in the first place cause she's not very good) but I was so excited cause we literally played Dokapon Journey together for 5 hours today. (on the various bus rides to and from various family we visited today). It was the best sibling bonding we've had in a long while. (The last time we had this is when her and I became dedicated to taking turns in and beating Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on Genesis with all the Chaos Emeralds.) She went to bed several hours ago (she has school tomorrow) and I wish I could enjoy these games by myself cause I can't stop thinking about Dokapon Journey.

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So i got this game at launch, and no one wanted to play with me. Played once (up to 47 weeks) by myself. 'twas fun.

FINALLY about two weeks ago got a friend to play with me. Not have a 80+ week game and just started again yesterday, about 20 weeks.

Game's so fun and addicting. A game you love to hate.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    4 Players who know what they are doing is best.

Though 3 who know and one who doesn't is amusing to say the least.

The AI in this game is good, but it can't match a real human in spite factor. Also they'll never get so pissed that they'll target one player above everyone else like a good friend betrayed will.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I gotta say I'm not a fan of this game. It felt like Mario Party without the part that makes Mario Party worthwhile (mini games) and with what makes Mario Party a piece of shit (complete chance.)

I played it with friends. I played it with the GF. I played it alone. No one liked it.

I don't know how you can say the game isn't based purely on chance when everything you do is centered around a dice roll to start it all off.

Edit: Oh, and there certainly is already a thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=64064

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ...You can easily manipulate dice rolls, set the main part of scoring back to zero for all characters, catch a character with a huge level difference by beating them, break or steal their god equipment.

Yep, chance is really what makes this game.

I'm not saying its for everyone, mind, but that's some seriously wrong accusations to level on this game.

Also, old thread is old, why not make a new one?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Because the RPG battle component of this game isn't largely based on chance, right? You're pressing a button guessing what the other person is pressing...

And the thread is old but just as informative as this one.

Figgy on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    this game is hilarious. I can't wait to play it with my housemates next year and get agood length game ging.

excuse spelling out of srgery abd on morphine.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bought this a while back but haven't even played it yet. That comic makes me laugh though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I played Dokapon Kingdom with girlfriend (her idea) and it is fantastic.

We got to the final boss at the same time and I made it first got him down to 1 HP and she stole the kill.

URGGGGGGGGGH

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would be all over this on Wii, but they still haven't fucking released it in Europe!

Seriously Atlus, get a European publishing branch.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would be all over this on Wii, but they still haven't fucking released it in Europe!

I have thought about getting the Wii version for myself cause she has the PS2 one.

Does the Wii version have waggle?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

I have thought about getting the Wii version for myself cause she has the PS2 one.

Not that I remember, no.

Figgy on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Is there any chance of this happening? I've heard no. It's a bit of a disturbing trend this gen. Feels a bit like N64 era with the no 60hz and borders thing rearing its ugly head in a few games if they're even released at all. Fuck, it feels like the Dark Ages. That's what I'm calling this gen from now on, "The Dark Ages of Gaming."

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No waggle, and it supports three different controllers (Wiimote held sideways, classic controller, Gamecube controller) so you are just about guaranteed to have enough controllers for everyone.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    me and two other friends tried playing this a few weeks ago. we thought it was pretty fun(ny) at first but after a million turns of not being able to kill anything, they were getting bummed out on it. what game mode should we play for our first game, and for what time limit? any beginner strategy would be appreciated cause i'd like to play it again and actually feel like i was accomplishing something.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    krylon666 wrote: »
    me and two other friends tried playing this a few weeks ago. we thought it was pretty fun(ny) at first but after a million turns of not being able to kill anything, they were getting bummed out on it. what game mode should we play for our first game, and for what time limit? any beginner strategy would be appreciated cause i'd like to play it again and actually feel like i was accomplishing something.

Stay in the beginner's area near Dokapon Castle when you're first starting out, level up a few times by killing bandits and imps and pixies. Avoid the sea and the southwestern region of the starting continent. (Asiana?) Normal mode at 20-40 weeks is a good start game. Also, you can increase the start level from 1 to 10 to make it easier on yourselves,m the game gives you better start equipment if you do that.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Story is best to start with. Guards keep you (usually) from going somewhere you absolutely can't handle.

Unlike most RPGs though a bit of grinding is best. Also don't feel bad taking a risk (early on using strike mainly) to get some towns earlier than you should. Buff items and debuff spells can have you beating monsters twice your level, giving you multiple level ups.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hoping to get my girlfriend and a few friends to tackle the Wii story mode with me soon. I have a game with some AI controlled peeops I'm playing with my one friend, but only two humans is a little dull (admittedly much faster paced!)

MC Mystery on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »

No waggle, and it supports three different controllers (Wiimote held sideways, classic controller, Gamecube controller) so you are just about guaranteed to have enough controllers for everyone.

You can also just pass around one controller.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Forgot to mention that. That's an option too.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's also an option on the DS version.

MC Mystery on