As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So what exactly is the filler of One Piece.

I heard anything involving little kids, and I've gotten to the bit after Loguetown.

I'm pretty sure now I've only seen up to 75 or so in the native tongue and only about 100 in the dub, though anything after Loguetown in the dub I only sparingly watched as who the hell wouldn't be out doing something better on Saturday nights?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I heard anything involving little kids, and I've gotten to the bit after Loguetown.

I'm pretty sure now I've only seen up to 75 or so in the native tongue and only about 100 in the dub, though anything after Loguetown in the dub I only sparingly watched as who the hell wouldn't be out doing something better on Saturday nights?

A lot of the random things which happen in Loguetown is filler.

Everything after Loguetown before the Grand Line is filler.

A bunch of stuff after Alabasta, the G8 arc, some stuff after Davy Back (and about half of Davy Back itself), individual episodes that recap the history of the characters at one point, the stuff after Eneis Lobby, and pretty much every episode around New Year's are all filler.

G8 is the only worthwhile one :v

Jragghen on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's actually pretty impressive for a show that's been around for ten years.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Since I haven't been keeping up with the threads the last while (and these threads are my primary source of anime news), anything decent come out in the last month or two?

Cross Game
    Eden of the East

Those are the standouts, of what I've seen.

Sengoku

fucking

Basara

Yes. This.

Anyone who hasn't even given the first episode a shot needs to fix that right away. It might not be your thing and that is cool I suppose but you won't find out until you watch!

Slicer on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I remember this first bit with the little girl and the battleship island not being too offensive.

Not to be demanding or anything but do you happen to have general episode numbers just in case I decide to skip it? I'm probably not going to, but I might pick up a DS game or start reading forums just in case shit gets boring.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can only hope that Sengoku Basara is better than the godawful games.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can only hope that Sengoku Basara is better than the godawful games.

I've never played the games, but I will tell you that the show reaches critical levels of badassery constantly. I showed clips of the first episode to friends who hate anime and they were flabbergasted by the sheer awesomeness.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does it still have Masamune wielding 6 swords at once? That would probably get you all the over-the-top points you could ever need.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Does it still have Masamune wielding 6 swords at once? That would probably get you all the over-the-top points you could ever need.

Indeed it does!

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I remember this first bit with the little girl and the battleship island not being too offensive.

Not to be demanding or anything but do you happen to have general episode numbers just in case I decide to skip it? I'm probably not going to, but I might pick up a DS game or start reading forums just in case shit gets boring.

Here is a list of the filler arcs.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hell yes. He summons his swords as bolts of lightning in one episode. It's terrific.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    motorbike_horse.jpg

Badass, indeed.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't get any better than that

It just doesn't

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It doesn't get any better than that

It just doesn't

Hondam.

Rust on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just watched the first episode of Basquash. Other than Miyuki's amazing rack, what does this show have going for it?

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    So I just watched the first episode of Basquash. Other than Miyuki's amazing rack, what does this show have going for it?

The animation. The novel idea of having robots play basketball. The animation. The animation.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Don't forget background design!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

More characters with amazing racks?

Oh, yea, I guess sometimes these giant robots play basketball in the streets, and the moon plays MTV music videos.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »

More characters with amazing racks?

Oh, yea, I guess sometimes these giant robots play basketball in the streets, and the moon plays MTV music videos.

And police robots who chase around the ones playing basketball shooting handcuffs from their wrists.

Kelor on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks like I'm going to have to give Cross Game a look-see.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going to have to give Cross Game a look-see.

It is excellent.

Kelor on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well post-Loguetown only has the 4Kids dub so far anyway(until like episode 140 or something), and I hear it's awful. The Funi uncut, redone dub is only at 52 so far.

I'm on epsiode 40-something right now. I really like this dub.

But man, I WISH the sets were $25 here. In Canada they're 45-50. Anime is incredible expensive everywhere, including online. And ordering from American sites is no help cause you get hit with shipping and conversion costs that bring the price up anyay.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It would be really swell if Funi decided to skip out on the filler stuff, because man, the Apis arc sucked.

It would really stink to have to shell out another fifty for thirteen episodes of that stuff.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    How long is the first filler arc? Is the next set going to literally be all filler?

And I can understand not skipping the filler. I'm kind of a completionist anyway so I'd like to have the full series. I'm buying the newer Naruto volumes and it's basically six straight sets of filler.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    How long is the first filler arc? Is the next set going to literally be all filler?

And I can understand not skipping the filler. I'm kind of a completionist anyway so I'd like to have the full series. I'm buying the newer Naruto volumes and it's basically six straight sets of filler.

I think they lost a hell of a lot of people watching it when they brought those fillers out. What was it, a solid year and a half or so?

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Around 80 episodes, I think.

I'm only a few arcs into it, and I do think it's kinda nice to see the other genin squads get screen time. But I can see it getting old.

I can see them losing viewers, definately. The worst part is, they did this so they wouldn't have to heap Shippuden up with a bunch of filler, than did it anyway.

It's too bad, cause I really like the Naruto anime when it's not stuck in filler hell.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    kooperkooper Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Why can't I find Cross Game 05 anywhere? Wikipedia tells me It came out on the 3rd.

kooper on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doing a little research, it looks like the next OP set coming out in June will be about half-filler. Kinda sucks but oh well.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kooper wrote: »
    Why can't I find Cross Game 05 anywhere? Wikipedia tells me It came out on the 3rd.

Quick search on TT shows that Subsmith did a speed sub of it. All the other groups seem to release episodes at least a week after the airdate.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have people forgot about Sengoku Basara because this shit got so real. Episode 5 pierces heavens not just with drills but with spears.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    Have people forgot about Sengoku Basara because this shit got so real. Episode 5 pierces heavens not just with drills but with spears.
    cffaf68e60d33e55372258a2ac7f20a5123.jpg

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Most excellent, sir.

Smasher on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want something good, complete, and less than two years old.

This will likely filter out most of what I've seen.

Genre doesn't matter, the subjective feeling of awesome, neat, well crafted, etc, matters

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Genre doesn't matter, the subjective feeling of awesome, neat, well crafted, etc, matters

Baccano!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Off of the very top of my head: Bamboo Blade, Black Lagoon; though the second is a bit over 2 years old.

Very different, but both well done.

edit: why do these all start with B?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

Baccano!

You had to pick the only exception to most didn't you.

@Elldren Thanks I'll check them out.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'll throw a couple at you.

Detroit Metal City: Country boy moves into the city to start a Swedish pop music band but is dragooned into playing lead singer of new death metal band. There's only a dozen episodes that are ten minutes long each, but every one is solid gold.

Library War: The Japanese government passes an act which allows censorship of media deemed harmful to the government or society. Local governments oppose it and create an opposing organization to protect various media from being confiscated. A revision is passed where libraries are allowed to store contraband titles and things settle down somewhat, outside of occasional raids. Then they start using guns. Fun series and again, only a dozen episodes.

Darker than Black:A series about an Chinese espionage team set up in Japan to investigate a research lab. 10 years previous to the show commencing there was an anomaly in South America, the night sky has been replaced with an entirely new set of fake stars, each is linked to a certain person. These people are called contractors, who have special powers (can freeze water, levitate or conduct electricity, phase through objects) but after using them are required to pay a renumeration (must smoke a cigarette, lay a set of stones in a precise way, drink a child's blood) and are totally rational and amoral. They feel no guilt and they don't interact very well with other people.

Edit: I skipped Baccano because I knew everyone would mention it and you've probably seen it. If not, the dub was fantastic. Check it out.

Kelor on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

Library War: The Japanese government passes an act which allows censorship of media deemed harmful to the government or society. Local governments oppose it and create an opposing organization to protect various media from being confiscated. A revision is passed where libraries are allowed to store contraband titles and things settle down somewhat, outside of occasional raids. Then they start using guns. Fun series and again, only a dozen episodes.

This. I just finished watching it the other night. It's actually really good, despite the goofy sounding title and premise. There's a really good balance between military encounters and character driven romance and comedy. If you've seen Gunparade March, it's kind of like that mix. Less a show about gun fighting, but rather a character driven story where the characters sometimes defend works of art with guns.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This. I just finished watching it the other night. It's actually really good, despite the goofy sounding title and premise. There's a really good balance between military encounters and character driven romance and comedy. If you've seen Gunparade March, it's kind of like that mix. Less a show about gun fighting, but rather a character driven story where the characters sometimes defend works of art with guns.

I know I'd be out with a gun in hand if someone decided that everyone had to burn their copies of Dumbo or Aladdin.

Kelor on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't think nearly enough people have watched Kaiba. I thought it was pretty good, though I'd expect a lot of people to not really be capable of liking it. It's a little odd, but quite well done.

Spice and Wolf is really good as well, if anthropomorphic wolf gods and 17th century monetary policy are your thing.

Xam'd: Lost Memories is fantastic. Good animation and music. It's kinda mechaish in it's plot. Kinda confusing without explaining a whole lot till the end, but the characters are good.

Toradora and Minami-ke were both quite good as well.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.