As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 5/6/09: The Gladiator is made of Awesome and Sugar

DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Graphic Violence
Ok since nobody came up with a new MOTW thread I am hijacking the honour.

My Motw is from the War of Kings # 3 which was not that good until the last defining moment:
Starjammers and Guardians of Galaxy charges up to the prison where Gladiator and his crew is holding up Llliandra. They took down the gladiator with making him belive they do have a super effective weapon against him. Gladitaor realises that catches up Lliandra. Ll' asks him who he is really royal to, who is really the throne.

Anyway long story short Gladiator changed his side and freaking zapped Smashers head off. Superman with no morals that's why I love him so much.

Dreamon on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Invincible Iron Man. Matt Fraction nails it again, just like every issue. Basically, the week in which Iron Man comes out, there's like a 99.9% chance it will be my motw.

Seriously. Awesome.
    I am really interested to see where this "brain decay" thing is going. Its pretty interesting, and seeing Tony crumpled up on the floor in pain was a pretty big moment in the issue.

Also, the Pepper Potts side-arc continues to be my favorite part of the story right now. Iron Potts is awesome.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MOTW is New Krypton #3. They've really thought this through with all the Super-titles, which is surprising compared to other stuff like Battle for the Cowl and JLA.
    Clark shoots himself with the red sun gun to go in and negotiate with the labor guild, and we have a good scene like this that actually delves into a planet full of Supermen:

wonk3a.jpg

That first panel with legitimate realizations about having super-powers works so well.
    Superman negotiates, but the lieutenant who was going to kill some labor guild members tries to snipe Tam-or, but Kara stops it from happening.

So he picks a fight with Supes:

wonk3b.jpg

wonk3c.jpg

Supes then beats him up but is stopped because the Green Lanterns arrive to act stupid.

X-Men Finals is also good, and wraps up why Scott and Jean stayed on come Giant Sized X-Men.

Moment of the weak is my LCS getting shortchanged War of Kings #3. Flash Rebirth #2 is also weak, and some people were on the money with what is to happen to Barry now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the New Krypton stuff is pretty awesome. I have a feeling that New Krypton is gonna be the new Sinestro War. It is pretty much contained to just 4 books and is a really well orchestrated crossover. It really feels as if the writers all are on the same page as far as consistency goes.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That New Krypton fight is awesome.
    Dreamon wrote: »
    Ok since nobody came up with a new MOTW thread I am hijacking the honour.

My Motw is from the War of Kings # 3 which was not that good until the last defining moment:
    Starjammers and Guardians of Galaxy charges up to the prison where Gladiator and his crew is holding up Llliandra. They took down the gladiator with making him belive they do have a super effective weapon against him. Gladitaor realises that catches up Lliandra. Ll' asks him who he is really royal to, who is really the throne.

Anyway long story short Gladiator changed his side and freaking zapped Smashers head off. Superman with no morals that's why I love him so much.

Damn. You beat me to it. Anyway, War of Kings #3. Final page.
    WOK4.jpg

Each panel is a "Fuck Yeah!" mini-moment culminating in the last shot.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'll throw this out, but did anyone pick up BFTC: The Network? I just want to know how they shoehorn Cassandra out of the Bat-family, which would probably appear in that issue.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    My MotW: Deadpool #10.
    RESPAWN LOL

I was in tears.

cr0w on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cr0w wrote: »
    RESPAWN LOL

I was in tears.
    DPOOL010_int-5.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    God that's so funny.

cr0w on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The last half of War of Kings was fantastic, especially anything involving Rocket Raccoon. Also getting the ALIAS ultimate collection. Damn that book is great.

Moment of the weak is STILL not getting Scalped vol. 4 due to distribution fuck-ups. I hate Diamond, assuming this is their fault.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, the New Krypton stuff is pretty awesome. I have a feeling that New Krypton is gonna be the new Sinestro War. It is pretty much contained to just 4 books and is a really well orchestrated crossover. It really feels as if the writers all are on the same page as far as consistency goes.

I remember reading that Johns, Robinson, Rucka and Gates all got together and essentially mapped out the entire story over two years or something like that. I wish Dini, Morrison, Tomasi and Dixon could have done something like this before Batman RIP so maybe we wouldn't have gotten all those "tie-ins" and a terrible sense of everything being jumbled up.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    New moment of the weak: The Mighty #4 turning out to be nothing new in the "alternative Superman" formula.
    Alpha One is the one killing innocent people (and the former captain it seems) for some grand plan, such a cliche. It would have been nice if he was just a good guy but rather all the things that happen around him, like increased workload and ruining the lives of those he works with, etc.

I expected something better from Tomasi.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    RESPAWN LOL

I was in tears.
    DPOOL010_int-5.jpg

exposition?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    RESPAWN LOL

I was in tears.
    DPOOL010_int-5.jpg

exposition?
    Norman goes to have a TV interview (probably the one he planned at the end of DA#4 in response to Ronin's words about Norman) only for the interviewer and the production crew to freak out at something he didn't see until they showed him what they taped so far. That being Deadpool popping up quick as seen in the freeze-frame behind Norman.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just read all 9 of my grabs:

Irredeemable is balls. I don't think I'll be bothering with it anymore.
    Looks like The Plutonian is just some douchey guy with bi-polar disorder. Also, his girlfriend is a bitch. There's no subtlety to the writing or planning here, everything has to be a huge disaster that spirals out of control for no reason.

Destroyer 2 was ok, but it wasn't as fun as I had hoped/expected. Seaguy was kind of the same way; it feels like it's losing steam. New Krypton is still good but not amazing.

The revelations in War of Kings really didn't surprise me. The 'big surprise' was almost guaranteed, and it's where they'll go with it that will decide whether or not it was the right way to go.

Flash: Rebirth... I just don't really like it. After 2 issues, I can't stand Barry at all. Maybe by the end, when all of his worries are cleared, he'll become tolerable again, but I'm really afraid his whole "I've been gone for so long, I'm so out of time!' thing is going to be the crux of a future ongoing.

Without any of the heavy-hitters sticking out, my real MotW is Exiles 2. It was just a whole lot of fun, and it may even make me into a Parker convert if I happen into some more cash soon.

Beyond that, I grabbed Spider-Man (enjoyed), New Mutants (meh).

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    i grabbed the escape from bizarro world trade, the new league of extraordinary gentlemen, and seaguy.

so far i've only just started the league, but i'm very curious about the lithe young naked lady who, it seems, will be prominent in this volume.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    RESPAWN LOL

I was in tears.
    DPOOL010_int-5.jpg

exposition?
    Norman goes to have a TV interview (probably the one he planned at the end of DA#4 in response to Ronin's words about Norman) only for the interviewer and the production crew to freak out at something he didn't see until they showed him what they taped so far. That being Deadpool popping up quick as seen in the freeze-frame behind Norman.

Also
    Norman thinks the Thunderbolts have taken care of Deadpool, since he sent them after him for that whole Magnum Opus thing. At the end, Deadpool's decapitated, but Black Widow keeps his head and sews it back onto his body. Norman thought he was dead, hence the RESPAWN LOL

cr0w on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Invincible Iron Man. Was boss as usual.

PowerGirl #1.

Yeah I said it. Was an excellent first issue that got her back to kicking ass (vs. Johns JSA wishy-washy-whoa-is-me girl) And Amanda Connor art.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My MOTW is also from WoK, but not from Gladiator. Definitely every part of the GoG in the issue.

Access Fist.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I'll throw this out, but did anyone pick up BFTC: The Network? I just want to know how they shoehorn Cassandra out of the Bat-family, which would probably appear in that issue.

I picked it up. I enjoyed it. And to answer your question about Cassandra
    They don't.

More to the point, the issue is of
    Oracle coordinating Batgirl, Huntress, Misfit, Ragman, Manhunter in taking down Hugo Strange's betting ring. It's Oracle being Oracle(as opposed to the 'BFTC: The Cure' mini), and doing what she does best. I also liked Babs and Cass making fun of Huntress going back to her midriff baring costume.

Interpreter on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My MOTW:
    Rocket Raccoon holding a broom.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

They don't.

Oracle coordinating Batgirl, Huntress, Misfit, Ragman, Manhunter in taking down Hugo Strange's betting ring. It's Oracle being Oracle(as opposed to the 'BFTC: The Cure' mini), and doing what she does best. I also liked Babs and Cass making fun of Huntress going back to her midriff baring costume.

The Network was great.

It was like Birds of Prey, only with Batgirl being badass. She was back to her competent, curt self.

"There is no try. Do or do not."

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Exiles issue two was pretty great. MotW: Forge getting punched in the face by his own mechanical arm. Also some pretty good one-liners from Black Panther.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    My MOTW is also from WoK, but not from Gladiator. Definitely every part of the GoG in the issue.

Access Fist.

"You're why we brought a big stick!"

Drax was background noise, though. And while I'm not a huge Drax fanboy (especially now that he's a green Riddick) like my stepbro, but dude...
    kfrooster wrote: »
    Exiles issue two was pretty great. MotW: Forge getting punched in the face by his own mechanical arm. Also some pretty good one-liners from Black Panther.

So... he probably is his world's Peter Parker?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So... he probably is his world's Peter Parker?

I totally got that vibe too.
    Minus the fact that he's willing to unmask himself.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

They don't.

The Network was great.

It was like Birds of Prey, only with Batgirl being badass. She was back to her competent, curt self.

"There is no try. Do or do not."

Take that everyone who thought it was going to be awful for some reason!

Furu on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Furu wrote: »

The few scans I saw here left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Was the rest of the issue any better?

Also? I hate Tony Daniel's reason for using the Jim Lee costume for Huntress, for the duration of the event. Sure it's ultimately pretty harmless, but it bugs me that he's willing to throw logic out the window just so he can draw a female character showing skin.

It's like a female artist choosing to draw Batman in nothing but a cowl and a cocksock. It feels totally unprofessional and fanboyish.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The excerpt I read actually gave the impression that Huntress was only there in her belly outfit and ready to shoot innocent dudes so Batgirl could disrespect her and look supercool in the process.

Still, if they're building up Batgirl, maybe she isn't just going to die.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The excerpt I read actually gave the impression that Huntress was only there in her belly outfit and ready to shoot innocent dudes so Batgirl could disrespect her and look supercool in the process.

Still, if they're building up Batgirl, maybe she isn't just going to die.

Well if the role of Bat Woman is already filled, and Babs is presumably gonna move into the role of Batgirl, perhaps Cassie will become Red Robin Girl.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Munch wrote: »

The few scans I saw here left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Was the rest of the issue any better?

Also? I hate Tony Daniel's reason for using the Jim Lee costume for Huntress, for the duration of the event. Sure it's ultimately pretty harmless, but it bugs me that he's willing to throw logic out the window just so he can draw a female character showing skin.

It's like a female artist choosing to draw Batman in nothing but a cowl and a cocksock. It feels totally unprofessional and fanboyish

Well to be fair that would definately strike confusion and probably fear into the hearts of criminals.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shut your damn filthy mout that is beyond terrible, Lucas.

servo
    , the new league of extraordinary gentlemen,

man, how did I miss this!?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, I keep waiting for someone to take the name Catgirl. Despite the negative associations, I think the name has a nice ring to it.

Munch on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shut your damn filthy mout that is beyond terrible, Lucas.

servo
    , the new league of extraordinary gentlemen,

man, how did I miss this!?

Apparently it didn't ship to alot of places. I've been keeping my eye out for it, and didn't see it. Of course, I didn't know it was out this week either, so I didn't look particularly hard.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It's like a female artist choosing to draw Batman in nothing but a cowl and a cocksock. It feels totally unprofessional and fanboyish

Well to be fair that would definately strike confusion and probably fear into the pants of criminals.

Fixed.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Irredeemable is balls. I don't think I'll be bothering with it anymore.
    Looks like The Plutonian is just some douchey guy with bi-polar disorder. Also, his girlfriend is a bitch. There's no subtlety to the writing or planning here, everything has to be a huge disaster that spirals out of control for no reason.

That issue was also kind of a ripoff of an issue of Astro City, only that was an homage and sendoff to Silver Age Superman and a bit better overall.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I want Peter to flip out and get in JJJs face, after the last issue where hes being presented with reason and chooses to ignore it? Hes just fucking insane and getting to a stage where hes no better than a low-tier super villain, sick of his schtick.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man, Jonah used to commission killer robots to attack Spider-Man. He even created the Scorpion!

Still, I think the most recent issue shows that Peter is projecting his issues with Norman Osborn onto JJ. As for why he doesn't just go after Norman, I imagine it's because he has no idea how to approach that problem.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah but since then its fairly consistently proven that Spider-Man is not that big of a dick (he is to us the readers but not to the citizens of NYC) and that JJJ still going after him is a tired story that I thought BND was supposed to do away with.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ASM #593 is channeling red lanterns too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RESPAWN LOL

I was in tears.
    DPOOL010_int-5.jpg

exposition?

Also
    Norman thinks the Thunderbolts have taken care of Deadpool, since he sent them after him for that whole Magnum Opus thing. At the end, Deadpool's decapitated, but Black Widow keeps his head and sews it back onto his body. Norman thought he was dead, hence the RESPAWN LOL

thanks

Antimatter on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It's like a female artist choosing to draw Batman in nothing but a cowl and a cocksock. It feels totally unprofessional and fanboyish.

You have to understand, I don't care about Huntress and whether or not she's been mischaracterized. It's not dislike, it's apathy. Not even Birds of Prey could change that.

On the other hand, I absolutely adore Cassandra Cain and she kicks ass in this issue, often to the detriment of Huntress. And that's okay with me. How much you like this issue probably depends on how much you like Huntress (and even then I think the daily_scans guy is severely overreacting).

TeaSpoon on