As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone ever donate plasma?

misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Social Entropy++
Is it any more painful than giving blood?

misbehavin on

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Morbius circa the 90s Spider-Man cartoon

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hahaha, where's DL, he's been giving that shit for months

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    lose most of your money day trading? or were you just pretending to be well off all this time?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    lose most of your money day trading? or were you just pretending to be well off all this time?

I'm not SELLING my plasma, I'm DONATING.

misbehavin on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This seems like more of an HA thread

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

the 'making stupid threads for whatever pops into my head' market tanked.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

the 'making stupid threads for whatever pops into my head' market tanked.

Actually, it seems to be rallying at the moment

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    given blood a few times, never plasma

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I think they don't even pay you here.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »

I'm not SELLING my plasma, I'm DONATING.

But you receive compensation for your time.

I made $35 today when I went and gave plasma.

It doesn't hurt anymore than giving blood would, I imagine.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    what is the better money maker

maybe ill do this

redfenix on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it hurts like hell. They take a needle that's about 4 inches long and jab it into the base of your skull, up into your brain. And then they go for the one they'll actually take the plasma with . . .

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This guy I used to hang out with sold plasma twice a week, every week

He lived like a crack head

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can you still give plasma if you have THC in your system?

uberneko on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Plasma is just what they separate from your blood after taking it out. I think they put the other half back into you though.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    uberneko wrote: »

Yes

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One of my wife's ex-boyfriends sold his plasma for gas money.

His family also got her dishtowels for Christmas one year.

I think she made the right choice.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    This guy I used to hang out with sold plasma twice a week, every week

He lived like a crack head

I have never lived with you.

Speaking of, you really get a good dose of Americana when you're at the plasma place.

You get to see all walks of life and realize just how lucky you are.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why don't you donate sperm?

What are you, infertile?

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I tried selling plasma once. Took me forever to get through the interview process, then i finally got hooked up. Tried my left arm first, and the machine shut down, couldn't extract my blood. Then the right arm, same result.

I cannot even be bled by a machine designed to do so. It was kind of awesome, but i also would've liked $25.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »

Yes

Sweet! I don't know too much about giving bodily fluids but I am gonna try this.

uberneko on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They take more blood and then return some of it to you after removing the plasma.

I love it. Like life getting pumped back into you.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have a crippling needle phobia so I will never do this

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Test prior to donating:
    In order to donate you must have valid drivers license, social security card, and proof of residency in the last 30 days. They also test for Hepatitis, HIV, and do a drug screen. The do a basic vitals- temperature, blood pressure and pulse, and check your protein and iron levels. At the first visit they also do a brief physical.

I assume they are looking for crazy ass drugs?

uberneko on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Donating plasma. They stick a needle in you, tape it down, draw blood for 5 minutes, at which point it goes through a pot that spins it around at like 7200 RPM and separates the plasma from the blood. Then for another 5 minutes the blood gets pumped back into you. This is one cycle. It typically takes 5 - 6 cycles to get done.

Depending on your body weight, if you're over 175, you donate 900ml of plasma (about a quart), if you're 145 - 165, you donate around 750ml, and if you're above 105 but below 145 you donate around 600ml, I think.

The plasma is put into a big jug, where it appears like darkcolored piss, or "wheat colored", and your blood is put back into you. The more hydrated you are, the better.

If you donate plasma, you have to go back a second time, because if they don't have two collections from you, it's worthless and can't be used to make the medicine they need it for or for transfusions.

Usually takes about 2 hours, unless you're a first time donor, and they run you through a standard physical. That takes a while.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    They give you 80 the first time here but I've never done it. The place is so packed it takes about 8 hours to sell your plasma.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It feels about the same as giving blood. But since you can do it twice a week you look like a heroin addict in about 2 months.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Test prior to donating:
    In order to donate you must have valid drivers license, social security card, and proof of residency in the last 30 days. They also test for Hepatitis, HIV, and do a drug screen. The do a basic vitals- temperature, blood pressure and pulse, and check your protein and iron levels. At the first visit they also do a brief physical.

That and Tegusin and Soriatane and Propecia and other shit.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you donate plasma, you have to go back a second time, because if they don't have two collections from you, it's worthless and can't be used to make the medicine they need it for or for transfusions.

Usually takes about 2 hours, unless you're a first time donor, and they run you through a standard physical. That takes a while.

When I gave, I was always paid per visit, and no one said "you have to come back."

I imagine it's a tad bit more uncomfortable than giving blood, depending on the specific practices at the location, because the saline they put into your body to replace the fluid may be at room temperature. That feels uncomfortable inside your 98 degree body.

My visits, after the first were generally about 50 minutes long.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Test prior to donating:

It's also worth noting that if you have any tattoos, you have to fill out a chart that's an outline of a person, listing every tattoo you have with a description, location, and year that you got it. That took me like an hour. :(

And if you have any tattoos within the past year, they won't take you. This however is just a hepatitis concern, so if you don't have the hepatitis feel free to lie, fresh tattoos won't hurt anything.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think the two places I've been may also deny people if they routinely have anal sex(or perhaps just for being male and gay, not sure), and if you've spent a certain amount of time in some foreign countries like places in Africa, or possibly even the UK, for foot-and-mouth disease.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Septus wrote: »

When I gave, I was always paid per visit, and no one said "you have to come back."

I imagine it's a tad bit more uncomfortable than giving blood, depending on the specific practices at the location, because the saline they put into your body to replace the fluid may be at room temperature. That feels uncomfortable inside your 98 degree body.

My visits, after the first were generally about 50 minutes long.

you don't have to go back.

but they pay you more money for every consecutive visit. But they have shit posted up all over the walls requesting that you come back and do so regularly because blah blah blah

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I gave plasma for about a year to survive. The place I went go gave incentives they would do drawings and give away scratch off lottery tickets. Dude right before me got a scratch off ticket and won $2000. Lucky son of a bitch, and also they ran out of tickets after him :( It doesn't really hurt except for the initial stick. Also I would get my finger pricked each time and they would check something.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I sold a lot of plasma in the mid-90s to subsidize underage binge drinking. It feels about the same as giving blood. I'm actually scarred on my right arm from selling so much plasma.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I gave plasma for about a year to survive. The place I went go gave incentives they would do drawings and give away scratch off lottery tickets. Dude right before me got a scratch off ticket and won $2000. Lucky son of a bitch, and also they ran out of tickets after him :( It doesn't really hurt except for the initial stick. Also I would get my finger pricked each time and they would check something.

they prick your finger to check your iron levels

edit: and it doesn't hurt after the initial stick unless you're getting a high return in which case it is rather uncomfortable

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Selling plasma is good money, it just takes longer then giving blood and can be boring. When I did it in college you have to give on a schedule or you wouldn't make the most cash for it.

It kept my beer fund going for 4 years.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    shit, if i went back next week, i would make 80 bucks, guaranteed.

but i don't want to drive an hour to do so, so i won't

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    80 bucks is a good bit of beer money.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    go figure the week i can't make it they would pay me the most.

hell, i made $60 this week.

but i'll be glad to not donate again.

hunter: i'll actually be out of school next week and living at home again so i will have time to earn money in legitimate ways as opposed to donating plasma.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When does your shift out behind the Olive Garden start?

Hunter on