As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nonstop Chavez: gets re-elected by landslide.

• Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mostly curiousity really.

My extended family are all from Venezuela. They are all stalwartly anti-Chavistas.
    Did they vote on Sunday? Apparently here in Toronto Venezuelan ex-pats trying to vote at the consulate were picketed and protested by Chavez supporters. Nice to see that everything was clean and fair :roll:

Now, because I'm bored at work - here are some pictures of Chavez and his pals . . .

_41926172_leaders_ap_story203.jpg

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, blatantly stole national elections this time last year.

_40917824_chavezmugabe_afp203b.jpg

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe. Where do I even begin?

_41944834_chavez_ap203b.jpg

Hey, it's Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Chavez's "brother and trenchmate"

_42038494_chavez_assad_ap203.jpg

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Now there's someone who knows a thing or two about meddling in the politics of his neighbours.

_42038600_chavez_castro_ap203.jpg

Of course, last but certainly not least, good old Fidel himself.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    GiganticusGiganticus Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Giganticus wrote:
    Giganticus wrote:
    TLM: Currently Chavez is using the hatred of the US as a mainstay of his political platform. The US is currently acting against the Venezualan Government and is breeding it's own unpopularity. That's the situation. If you don't want to look at historical situations, how about current ones, like the Middle East? US is yet again creating it's own enemies.

You keep on changing the subject. I'm not going to argue about the Middle East and US foreign policy in a thread discussing Hugo Chavez, that's for another thread. I love looking at historical situations, I'm a history and political science major, but they're not winning you any points and diverting attention away from the original argument. It doesn't matter what the US's involvement is in Venezuela or what had happened in the past, Hugo Chavez is a horrible leader and will eventually bankrupt his people.

I've never said a single damn thing about his leadership skills. Just that a dictator is required in a situation like Venezuala's. Whether or not that man is Chavez remains to be seen (you feel it isn't). However, do you not at least feel that you must not try to, you know, justify Chavez's political rhetoric by attempting to undercut his Government repeatedly?

No because leaders like him don't care about their country, they're opportunists. Dictators are never required, they only take advantage of the situation and lead their nations on a path of self destruction and cultural/intellectual backwardness. I would not be surprised that by the time this is all over that Venezuela is worse off than it was 20-30 years ago.

If the US had no involvement in Venezuela, he would still find an enemy to direct the peoples attention at. He uses the US because they are pretty much untouchable and unstoppable in his current situation, the perfect scapegoat. He would probably under other circumstances use his neighbors like Colombia as scapegoats but the US is so very convenient and he can't deal with them. The US would also not be in the equation as much as they are but Chavez provokes the US and wants them to have a vested interest in Venezuela so he can stay in power.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    designMcGeedesignMcGee Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yep, they all voted to try and get the fucker out.

Oh well, people get what they vote for. It's a shame, South America is paradise on earth, if you could ever get rid of its politicians.

designMcGee on
    sig_uso.jpg
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If the US had no involvement in Venezuela, he would still find an enemy to direct the peoples attention at. He uses the US because they are pretty much untouchable and unstoppable in his current situation, the perfect scapegoat. He would probably under other circumstances use his neighbors like Colombia as scapegoats but the US is so very convenient and he can't deal with them. The US would also not be in the equation as much as they are but Chavez provokes the US and wants them to have a vested interest in Venezuela so he can stay in power.

Yar on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:
    Chavez was elected by a mass majority of his people. If the people are willing to give power to this guy so he can ammend the constitution for a 3rd term, let them elect him democratically for a 3rd time in 2012. Who are we to judge "democracy"?

Its also funny to read how clueless you are about Venezuela.

People who planned and executed the coup are still living, freely in Venezuela. One of them actually still is the leader of the opposition.

In 2002, when they were getting ready to take down Chavez, the opposition who owns the mass majority of tv media in the country simply ordered Chavez to be displayed as evil. No members of the Chavez administration were given any interview time. The state chanel's signal was blocked by somewhat technologically advanced foreign powers, *cough*.

Electoral transparency? Hmm, interesting, I guess he must have cheated 30% of the total votes to win over that guy. You know, 30% is nothing, he probably hand carried the ballots.

Well, because I was asleep people have beat me to it by about 2 pages. But how would you feel if the republicans still controlled the house and senate and Bush was going to amend the constitution to stay in power until 2012 because of the "terrorist threat"?

If the election is rigged, exactly how much Chavez has won by is meaningless. He's completely packed all of the oversight committees with Chavistas. I have no doubt that he still commands a large measure of support in his country, but that doesn't invalidate my assessment of his approach to democracy or the results of his policies. Go look up my claims instead of just claiming I'm "clueless." Specifically: media act, court packing, inflation, crime rate.

And I don't care about whether he has some fairly nasty media opponents in venezuela. His opposition is doing nothing that fox news isn't doing. Making it illegal to say *anything* bad about the government in response? Not good. Again, how would you feel if Bush gagged the daily show?

I'm not saying he's done nothing for the poor, or that there weren't gross wrongs in the older governments of venezuela. But you far leftists who want to fall at chavez's feet and worship him because he calls bush satan are being willfully delusional about exactly what he represents. Like most true believers, he's leading his society off a cliff because he doesn't think his power should be restricted.

The difference is, as far as I understand, Chavez is trying to change the constitution to allow him for a 3rd term if he gets elected, NOT putting in a clause there saying "if the current president wants to, he can sit at the palace for another 6 years or bla bla." He still needs to get elected by people.

If the election on sunday was so rigged, why have hundreds of international observers such as the European Union, Carter Institute, AAS have said the election was transparent, legit and efficient?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/world/americas/04venezuela.html

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-12-05T031401Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-278962-1.xml&archived=False

http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2006/diciembre/lun4/gano.html

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/200612040753/polling_underway_in_venezuela_election

http://www.plenglish.com/article.asp?ID=%7B79C71A63-CB81-425C-AE7C-5159FA1D3E44%7D)&language=EN

About the media comment, this is why I said "you are clueless". Most of the tv channels and newspapers in Venezuela are owned by neoliberals, Chavez's opponents.

Anyways, Chavez won 21 regions + the capital. That's the entire country. Not even one region lost. This tells me a lot about him, and more about his opponents.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Andrew_Jay wrote:

My extended family are all from Venezuela. They are all stalwartly anti-Chavistas.
    Did they vote on Sunday? Apparently here in Toronto Venezuelan ex-pats trying to vote at the consulate were picketed and protested by Chavez supporters. Nice to see that everything was clean and fair :roll:

Wow, I think you got him. I totally agree. Chavez should have sent his army to Canada to put some order in place!

:roll:

Don't blame Chavez supporters because your country couldn't handle the situation.

I also find it amusing and ironic how you complain about people protesting.

Ok, just ironic perhaps?

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:
    Chavez was elected by a mass majority of his people. If the people are willing to give power to this guy so he can ammend the constitution for a 3rd term, let them elect him democratically for a 3rd time in 2012. Who are we to judge "democracy"?

People who planned and executed the coup are still living, freely in Venezuela. One of them actually still is the leader of the opposition.

In 2002, when they were getting ready to take down Chavez, the opposition who owns the mass majority of tv media in the country simply ordered Chavez to be displayed as evil. No members of the Chavez administration were given any interview time. The state chanel's signal was blocked by somewhat technologically advanced foreign powers, *cough*.

Electoral transparency? Hmm, interesting, I guess he must have cheated 30% of the total votes to win over that guy. You know, 30% is nothing, he probably hand carried the ballots.

Well, because I was asleep people have beat me to it by about 2 pages. But how would you feel if the republicans still controlled the house and senate and Bush was going to amend the constitution to stay in power until 2012 because of the "terrorist threat"?

If the election is rigged, exactly how much Chavez has won by is meaningless. He's completely packed all of the oversight committees with Chavistas. I have no doubt that he still commands a large measure of support in his country, but that doesn't invalidate my assessment of his approach to democracy or the results of his policies. Go look up my claims instead of just claiming I'm "clueless." Specifically: media act, court packing, inflation, crime rate.

And I don't care about whether he has some fairly nasty media opponents in venezuela. His opposition is doing nothing that fox news isn't doing. Making it illegal to say *anything* bad about the government in response? Not good. Again, how would you feel if Bush gagged the daily show?

I'm not saying he's done nothing for the poor, or that there weren't gross wrongs in the older governments of venezuela. But you far leftists who want to fall at chavez's feet and worship him because he calls bush satan are being willfully delusional about exactly what he represents. Like most true believers, he's leading his society off a cliff because he doesn't think his power should be restricted.

The difference is, as far as I understand, Chavez is trying to change the constitution to allow him for a 3rd term if he gets elected, NOT putting in a clause there saying "if the current president wants to, he can sit at the palace for another 6 years or bla bla." He still needs to get elected by people.

If the election on sunday was so rigged, why have hundreds of international observers such as the European Union, Carter Institute, AAS have said the election was transparent, legit and efficient?

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-12-05T031401Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-278962-1.xml&archived=False

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/200612040753/polling_underway_in_venezuela_election

http://www.plenglish.com/article.asp?ID=%7B79C71A63-CB81-425C-AE7C-5159FA1D3E44%7D)&language=EN

About the media comment, this is why I said "you are clueless". Most of the tv channels and newspapers in Venezuela are owned by neoliberals, Chavez's opponents.

Anyways, Chavez won 21 regions + the capital. That's the entire country. Not even one region lost. This tells me a lot about him, and more about his opponents.

Popular public opinion and support does not equate to good and just leadership. What the people want is not always good for the people or their country.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:

Popular public opinion and support does not equate to good and just leadership. What the people want is not always good for the people or their country.

Perhaps the opposition should offer something better for the people and the people themselves may elect the opposition next time around. Venezuela was in a much worse shape pre-Chavez, so I can see why these people worship Chavez.

As I mentioned in the 1st page, its amusing how the opposition leaders, their friends and families, supporters all ride in Mercedes-Benz, Range Rover, etc. vehicles and live in multimillion dollar homes. I can also see why these people didn't vote for them.

Basar on

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:

Wow, I think you got him. I totally agree. Chavez should have sent his army to Canada to put some order in place!

Don't blame Chavez supporters because your country couldn't handle the situation.

Oh, I don't blame Chavez for a protest here in Toronto. I blame silly leftists like yourself who have never been to Venezuela but get it in their heads that Chavez is way cool and that his opponents ought to be harassed for simply daring to vote against him.

There's a time and a place for political protests. Outside a polling station on an election day is not one of them.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Giganticus wrote:
    George Bush and Vladimir Putin
    Shit, I knew I had forgotten somebody . . .

_40569057_bothafp203copy.jpg

However, I don't recall ever defending W. This thread is not about him and whatever my opinion on him might be, it has no bearing on Hugo Chavez and the state of Venezuelan democracy. Nice try though.

EDIT: Since you're so persistent in comparing Chavez to Bush (as if that absolves him of anything) . . .
    Giganticus wrote:
    Didn't stop George W. Bush's supporters.
    Cool. So we're agreed. At best these protestors can claim to be about as classy as some of George W. Bush's supporters. They're sure reaching for the top.

Though, all in all, I would consider a place where election officials count ballots to be a lot different than a place where the general public are casting their ballots.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Basar wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:

Oh, I don't blame Chavez for a protest here in Toronto. I blame silly leftists like yourself who have never been to Venezuela but get it in their heads that Chavez is way cool and that his opponents ought to be harassed for simply daring to vote against him.

There's a time and a place for political protests. Outside a polling station on an election day is not one of them.

I don't see anything wrong with the protest. Here in the U.S. I saw people yelling Bush's name outside my office on election day in 2004 (Washington DC). Did these Chavez supporters attack the supporters of the opposition? If not, its just a protest, nothing like what the opposition did to Chavez when they tried to take over the country and prohibited any statements by Chavez supporters on TV & papers.

Basar on

• Options
    GodGod Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Giganticus wrote:
    Outside a vote recount center when the vote is being recounted is also not one of them. Didn't stop George W. Bush's supporters.

Well no shit. All your rhetoric has been "B-b-but America!" "B-b-but Bush!" You have become the same as the "B-b-but Clinton!" crowd. Just because a political opponent of yours does something bad doesn't mean you should do it too.

God on
    sky.JPG
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    You mean the news outlets that have been repeatedly threatened by Chavez, and are losing their licenses next year because Chavez has barred their renewal?
    Yeah, an electoral sweep tells me alot about the election, too, but somehow I don't think it is telling me the same thing it is telling you.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    You mean the news outlets that have been repeatedly threatened by Chavez, and are losing their licenses next year because Chavez has barred their renewal?

We'll see when time comes around next year. Let's see the hard facts, about now? Thanks.

Basar on

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Giganticus wrote:
    AJ, man, that's right, if only I could find pictures of the current US leader shaking hands with people suspected of murdering political opponents, subverting democracy, brutalising their people...

bushjintaohp9.jpg
    China's President Hu Jintao and US President George Bush

Oh, well that's just one so...

9828bb10fa394090b5eed84vh1.jpg
    George Bush and Vladimir Putin.

Hmm...

Bush is not friends with Hu Jintao and does not claim to be. By your logic, a picture of Nixon shaking hands with Nikita Khrushchev at Disney Land would denote them as best friends. The US and China have good relations now but they are almost in a state of Cold War. Though the American corporations rely on China for cheap labor, America sees very little in return for this, something the US government does not like. The US is also stunting the growth of China and making sure that they don't make the jump from a 2nd world nation to a 1st world one. China is also one of the highest in demand sectors for CIA intelligence, the other is the middle east.

The US is very critical of Russia, especially in the handling of Chechnya. Vladimir Putin is not democratically elected, he is the Prime Minister and put into place by his party, the majority party elected by the people. He may use assassination from time to time, this has never been proved but it's sort of the old Russian way of doing things since the beginnings of the Russian nation state so it wouldn't surprise me. The Russian government is by no means perfect but at least they're working on improvement and still recovering from the Cold War. Old habits die hard but at least they are dieing in Russia. If you're looking for the oppressive soviet dictator, look at Alexander Lukashenko, because Putin is far from it.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm not going to link all this shit for you, Basar.

Just put "Chavez shutting down private television" in google.

designMcGee on
    sig_uso.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Former president of Brazil was on Fareed Zackaria's show about half a year ago
    Which one? Do you remember?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    Venezuela was in a much worse shape pre-Chavez, so I can see why these people worship Chavez.

Oh, I get it too. I feel like I've seen this pattern about 30 times before in various countries with previous authoritarian regimes. I'm disappointed that either the people of venezuela don't see it, or that the situation in their country is so bad that he's the best option they have.
    Basar wrote:

And he passed the Media Act. Was this an acceptable way to respond, in your opinion?
    Basar wrote:

They nearly disintegrated and have made an amazing comeback in the face of Chavista intimidation like the polling-place picketing you seem to be so fond of. You say people power, I say mob rule.[/url]

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    DELETED

Giganticus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Giganticus wrote:
    Democracy is mob rule.

Democracy is peaceful rule by the people, mob rule is violent rule by a faceless mass that may or may not represent the will of the general populace, usually doesn't. You're really making yourself look like someone who has no idea what they're talking about right now.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm not going to link all this shit for you, Basar.

Just put "Chavez shutting down private television" in google.

He is not shutting them down. He wants to hold a public referandum.

Basar on

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Giganticus wrote:
    Democracy is mob rule.

Democracy is peaceful rule by the people.

Oh my god!... oops, I mean Iraq!

Basar on

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    And he passed the Media Act. Was this an acceptable way to respond, in your opinion?

Yes, and you expect me to click a Weekly Standard link? Bloddy hell, no.
    The Weekly Standard is an American neoconservative [1] magazine published 48 times per year. It made its debut on September 17, 1995 and is owned by the public company News Corporation. It is viewed as a leading conservative magazine. Its current editors are founder William Kristol, chairman of the Project for the New American Century, and Fred Barnes. The Weekly Standard produces "The Daily Standard" with commentary and articles written for the magazine's website.

Basar on

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    Giganticus wrote:
    Democracy is mob rule.

Democracy is peaceful rule by the people.

Oh my god!... oops, I mean Iraq!

You obviously are not familiar with the definition of democracy, a term that has existed for almost 5,000 years.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:

So you support censorship, and you won't look at the article, even to debunk it with countervailing sources? We're done here. I've only wasted my time with you on the off chance some 14 year old is reading and happens to decide chavez is cool rather than a thuggish man with strong autocratic tendencies who's leading his country in the wrong direction

Ooh, more neoconservative sources like the new york times and human rights watch.

EDIT: one more from the ny times, for kicks

Nissl on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    [quote=CPJ]Under Article 29, for instance, television and radio stations that disseminate messages that "promote, defend, or incite breaches of public order" or "are contrary to the security of the nation" may be forced to suspend broadcasts for up to 72 hours. If a media outlet repeats the infractions within the next five years, its broadcasting concession may be suspended for up to five years. Article 7 of the law forbids "graphic descriptions or images of real violence" on the air from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m., except when the broadcast is live and the content is either "indispensable" or emerges unexpectedly.

Private television stations have altered programming to comply with the "social responsibility" law. Elsy Barroeta, news director of the 24-hour news channel Globovisión, told CPJ that the station had not restricted coverage, but she acknowledged that some colleagues were concerned about self-censorship. Barroeta said that images of violence during street protests could be aired live but could not be repeated throughout the day, according to the new guidelines. The Instituto Prensa y Sociedad (IPYS), a regional press freedom organization, found that three prominent television stations—Venevisión, Televén, and Radio Caracas Televisión—dropped half of their opinion programs since late 2004.[/quote]

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:

So you support censorship, and you won't look at the article, even to debunk it with countervailing sources? We're done here. I've only wasted my time with you on the off chance some 14 year old is reading and happens to decide chavez is cool rather than a thuggish man with strong autocratic tendencies who's leading his country in the wrong direction

Ooh, more neoconservative sources like the new york times and human rights watch.

Um, that last article was published in 1989. o_O

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:

Until now, the Chávez government has largely respected press freedom even in the face of a strident and well-resourced opposition press. Indeed, as part of the often heated and acrimonious debate between supporters of the government and its opponents, the press has been able to express strong views without restriction. Private television companies have often adopted a blatantly partisan position, and their news and debate programs have been extremely hostile to the Chávez government.

At the same time, however, many journalists working for the primarily private media that support the opposition have been victims of aggression and intimidation by government supporters. And, to a lesser degree, journalists working for the primarily state media sympathetic to the government have also been subject to acts of intimidation.

So let me get this clear, you are not against media restriction when it is neoliberals in power, but against it when Chavez is?

Ok, I am glad we got that cleared up.

Oh and about your age comment, .... nevermind. Maybe when you are old enough to get a job and a bank account we can talk. Your daddy's money gets you just about ----> this far.

Basar on

• Options
    edited December 2006
    [quote=CPJ]Under Article 29, for instance, television and radio stations that disseminate messages that "promote, defend, or incite breaches of public order" or "are contrary to the security of the nation" may be forced to suspend broadcasts for up to 72 hours. If a media outlet repeats the infractions within the next five years, its broadcasting concession may be suspended for up to five years. Article 7 of the law forbids "graphic descriptions or images of real violence" on the air from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m., except when the broadcast is live and the content is either "indispensable" or emerges unexpectedly.

Private television stations have altered programming to comply with the "social responsibility" law. Elsy Barroeta, news director of the 24-hour news channel Globovisión, told CPJ that the station had not restricted coverage, but she acknowledged that some colleagues were concerned about self-censorship. Barroeta said that images of violence during street protests could be aired live but could not be repeated throughout the day, according to the new guidelines. The Instituto Prensa y Sociedad (IPYS), a regional press freedom organization, found that three prominent television stations—Venevisión, Televén, and Radio Caracas Televisión—dropped half of their opinion programs since late 2004.
    [/quote]

Damnit, I totally forgot its perfectly ok and Americans along with Bush would just sit and watch if CNN broadcasted a message stating, "We support Bin Ladin and his war against the West." Should go well with popcorn, ja?

Basar on

• Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:

Until now, the Chávez government has largely respected press freedom even in the face of a strident and well-resourced opposition press. Indeed, as part of the often heated and acrimonious debate between supporters of the government and its opponents, the press has been able to express strong views without restriction. Private television companies have often adopted a blatantly partisan position, and their news and debate programs have been extremely hostile to the Chávez government.

At the same time, however, many journalists working for the primarily private media that support the opposition have been victims of aggression and intimidation by government supporters. And, to a lesser degree, journalists working for the primarily state media sympathetic to the government have also been subject to acts of intimidation.

So let me get this clear, you are not against media restriction when it is neoliberals in power, but against it when Chavez is?

Oh and about your age comment, .... nevermind. Maybe when you are old enough to get a job and a bank account we can talk. Your daddy's money gets you just about ----> this far.

Nobody is saying that you Chavez cheerleading bitch. We're just saying Chavez's ruling sucks but it seems that since he is your fellow socialist that you'll support him no matter and thats dumb and dangerous.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Were your roomates or ex-girlfriend Chavistas?

I'm going to go with the ex-girlfriend.

*spelling

designMcGee on
    sig_uso.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Um, that last article was published in 1989.

Oops. That's what I get for doing things fast, irritated, and at work. :oops:

Nissl on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:

Um, that last article was published in 1989. o_O

ROFL. I knew something was wrong with that article as I posted in the first page that the inflation was around 16-18% in 2005.

Basar on

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Basar wrote:

How about no media restriction, regardless of who's in power? Sweet jesus. You're a great representative of something I tend to notice with the far left (i.e. well left of kossacks or whatnot), just as with the far right: a lack of respect for democratic institutions unless they help your side to power.

As for the age stuff, you misread my comment. I'm only sticking around to prevent younger, more impressionable people from getting one side of the story although it is quite clear to me I'm wasting my time on you.

By the way, I graduated from a top university and have a good job (working in the public sector for far less than I could make privately, I might add). I appreciate your implications in the spirit that they were intended, i.e. to derail an argument you're losing. Let's get back on topic.

Nissl on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nissl wrote:
    Basar wrote:

How about no media restriction, regardless of who's in power? Sweet jesus. You're a great representative of something I tend to notice with the far left (i.e. well left of kossacks or whatnot), just as with the far right: a lack of respect for democratic institutions unless they help your side to power.

As for the age stuff, you misread my comment. I'm only sticking around to prevent younger, more impressionable people from getting one side of the story although it is quite clear to me I'm wasting my time on you.

By the way, I graduated from a top university and have a good job (working in the public sector for far less than I could make privately, I might add). I appreciate your implications in the spirit that they were intended, i.e. to derail an argument you're losing. Let's get back on topic.

Look above. Did I ever say I am pro-censorship?

Points I made in chronological order:

1. Chavez is not ordering anyone to shut down private television.
    2. He wants to hold a public referandum to close 4 private televisions he considers dangerous to the public. So its a choice of the people.
    3. I am all for freedom of speech too, read my previous posts in this forum with regards to France and Germany, but I also know full freedom of speech will be used only for American interests in Venezuela. Not for the interests of people of Venezuela.
    4. I questioned the integrity of people's views on Venezuelan media because: America was perfectly happy and did not seemed bothered when Chavez's opponents raided the state tv before the coup and prohibited them to broadcast anything by Chavez or his administration.

---

Good for you. I graduated from a decent university (Virginia Tech), not a top school. I work within the UN family for the development and improvement of health systems in Africa, Latin America and Central Asia. Please do not care for my extremism and the irony of my job, I am on annual leave. You could say the same thing about my salary but that's not the point.

Basar on