As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hyperbole on the internet, call homeland security! (Overkill or not?)

BrotherVoodooBrotherVoodoo Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4150090&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
So he says 'I'm killing Ovechkin. I'll go to jail. I don't care anymore." and the police decide to eat more donuts while reading message boards for god knows how long.
I mean really how many death threats are posted every day on the internet...millions?

13669_988031669590_13908669_57296127_2429910_n.jpg
BrotherVoodoo on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to murder you in your sleep for this thread.
    Just kidding
    Or am I!
    I am

    freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A fellow Adelaide United supporter posted on a fairly small forum a couple of years ago that they would pay someone to put a bullet in ESPN's Tommy Smyth. Someone at ESPN found it and things got massively blown out of proportion. It made traveling to the grand final that year rather interesting what with being met by the Victorian police as we crossed the state border.

    evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is all sorts of ridiculous. First of all, if you're gonna kill anyone, make it Sean Avery, not the game's most exciting player.

    saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    This is all sorts of ridiculous. First of all, if you're gonna kill anyone, make it Sean Avery, not the game's most exciting player.

    The police will be visiting you shortly.

    Endomatic on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    This is all sorts of ridiculous. First of all, if you're gonna kill anyone, make it Sean Avery, not the game's most exciting player.

    The police will be visiting you shortly.

    I don't think even they would be spurred into action when it comes to death threats to Sean Avery.

    saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's your duty as a hockey fan to threaten that guy.

    Endomatic on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kids need to learn that just because its the internet does not mean they can say anything they want. The computer screen does not make them invulnerable.

    Worst comment ever.

    urahonky on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kids need to learn that just because its the internet does not mean they can say anything they want. The computer screen does not make them invulnerable.

    Worst comment ever.

    What on earth are you talking about? This pesky "free speech" shit has no place on the Internet, which as we all know is full of sexual predators, pornography, pirated software, and terrorists.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kids need to learn that just because its the internet does not mean they can say anything they want. The computer screen does not make them invulnerable.

    Worst comment ever.

    What on earth are you talking about? This pesky "free speech" shit has no place on the Internet, which as we all know is full of sexual predators, pornography, pirated software, and terrorists.

    Only communists would say that. You're anti-american!

    urahonky on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's like the high seas of the 1500's then.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kids need to learn that just because its the internet does not mean they can say anything they want. The computer screen does not make them invulnerable.

    Worst comment ever.

    What on earth are you talking about? This pesky "free speech" shit has no place on the Internet, which as we all know is full of sexual predators, pornography, pirated software, and terrorists.

    Only communists would say that. You're anti-american!

    Only a sexual predator, pornographer, software pirate, or terrorist wouldn't care about the safety of our children on the Internet.

    Why do you hate children? (Or love them inappropriately, depending on the case?)

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are death threats protected speech?

    Bama on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Are death threats protected speech?

    True threats (see Watts vs United States, 1969) are not, but "I'mma fuckin' kill you beyotch" on a message board would likely not qualify.

    Also, please remember that in a thread about hyperbole there may very well be meta-hyperbole flying about with reckless abandon, so do remember to duck. :P

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Are death threats protected speech?

    Yes and no.

    I've always wondered the point of free speech if there was repercussions. What's the difference between a government that says "We'll chop off your head if you say ill about the king" and one that says "You can say whatever you want... as long as it's not offensive or in bad taste" ? Nothing really free about either, and freedom of repercussion is the essence of free speech isn't it?

    And likely there's a difference between

    "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head, I'd probably pay someone to do it."
    and
    "Okay I'm planning to shoot King Louis in the head at dawn in the eve of the superbowl, anyone else in?"

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Are death threats protected speech?

    Yes and no.

    I've always wondered the point of free speech if there was repercussions. What's the difference between a government that says "We'll chop off your head if you say ill about the king" and one that says "You can say whatever you want... as long as it's not offensive or in bad taste" ? Nothing really free about either, and freedom of repercussion is the essence of free speech isn't it?

    And likely there's a difference between

    "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head, I'd probably pay someone to do it."
    and
    "Okay I'm planning to shoot King Louis in the head at dawn in the eve of the superbowl, anyone else in?"

    The difference is that under free speech it's not the government that will hit you for saying something.

    Scooter on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Death threats on the internet. Death threats on the internet are a dime a dozen.

    Although, I sure hope 4chan/SA figures out something hilarious to parody the kids on the internet guy.

    electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head, I'd probably pay someone to do it."
    and
    "Okay I'm planning to shoot King Louis in the head at dawn in the eve of the superbowl, anyone else in?"

    Technically, I think either of those would be okay as long as the statement did not constitute a credible threat.

    The statement of that 17 year old kid? Clearly not "credible". At all. Like, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I could put stock in it in this day and age, with the school shootings.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head, I'd probably pay someone to do it."
    and
    "Okay I'm planning to shoot King Louis in the head at dawn in the eve of the superbowl, anyone else in?"

    Technically, I think either of those would be okay as long as the statement did not constitute a credible threat.

    The statement of that 17 year old kid? Clearly not "credible". At all. Like, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?

    Clearly in this day and age of Troubled Teenagers with their Assault Weapons, you have to take everything seriously. Especially on the Internet. Serious Business.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    I could put stock in it in this day and age, with the school shootings.

    Except the ratio of people who make sincere death threats to those who make joke death threats is vanishingly small.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head, I'd probably pay someone to do it."
    and
    "Okay I'm planning to shoot King Louis in the head at dawn in the eve of the superbowl, anyone else in?"

    Technically, I think either of those would be okay as long as the statement did not constitute a credible threat.

    The statement of that 17 year old kid? Clearly not "credible". At all. Like, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?

    Clearly in this day and age of Troubled Teenagers with their Assault Weapons, you have to take everything seriously. Especially on the Internet. Serious Business.

    Totally. The kid may snap and shoot the hockey player with Magical Internet Bullets.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We should turn off the internet, clearly that is the best way to solve this problem.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    Or we can just lock up all kids in hermetically-sealed bubbles.

    For their own protection.

    ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thing is, if someone did post a death threat like that on the internet in a public forum, everyone laughed it off, and then the person did follow through and kill someone, there would be outrage that "something wasn't done! The signs were all there! why didn't the police act?!?!?!?"

    saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fuck "their own protection."

    What about "our own amusement?"

    Bama on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head, I'd probably pay someone to do it."
    and
    "Okay I'm planning to shoot King Louis in the head at dawn in the eve of the superbowl, anyone else in?"

    Technically, I think either of those would be okay as long as the statement did not constitute a credible threat.

    The statement of that 17 year old kid? Clearly not "credible". At all. Like, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?

    Clearly in this day and age of Troubled Teenagers with their Assault Weapons, you have to take everything seriously. Especially on the Internet. Serious Business.

    That depends. IIRC, the chance of a teenager following through on an internet threat is directly proportional to the amount of time spent playing Grand Theft Auto, right?

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    Thing is, if someone did post a death threat like that on the internet in a public forum, everyone laughed it off, and then the person did follow through and kill someone, there would be outrage that "something wasn't done! The signs were all there! why didn't the police act?!?!?!?"

    Because it would be an enormous waste of resources to follow up on every threat made on the Interbutts?

    Oh wait, I'm using logic. Never mind.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kids need to learn that just because its the internet does not mean they can say anything they want. The computer screen does not make them invulnerable.

    Worst comment ever.

    Of course it's a terrible comment. A computer screen is a thin piece of glass. It wouldn't stop a bullet or, hell, probably even a knife.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kids need to learn that just because its the internet does not mean they can say anything they want. The computer screen does not make them invulnerable.

    Worst comment ever.

    Of course it's a terrible comment. A computer screen is a thin piece of glass. It wouldn't stop a bullet or, hell, probably even a knife.

    I'll have you know the last person who tried to stab through my CRT nearly died
    Then I thanked him for destroying that piece of junk

    Dman on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    Thing is, if someone did post a death threat like that on the internet in a public forum, everyone laughed it off, and then the person did follow through and kill someone, there would be outrage that "something wasn't done! The signs were all there! why didn't the police act?!?!?!?"

    Because it would be an enormous waste of resources to follow up on every threat made on the Interbutts?

    Oh wait, I'm using logic. Never mind.

    Oh I know. I'm just saying there's no way to win, really.

    saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    Thing is, if someone did post a death threat like that on the internet in a public forum, everyone laughed it off, and then the person did follow through and kill someone, there would be outrage that "something wasn't done! The signs were all there! why didn't the police act?!?!?!?"

    Because it would be an enormous waste of resources to follow up on every threat made on the Interbutts?

    Oh wait, I'm using logic. Never mind.

    Oh I know. I'm just saying there's no way to win, really.

    Everyone knows you can't win the internet. I mean, that's a lot of killing to accomplish. Physically impossible.

    Drake on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kids need to learn that just because its the internet does not mean they can say anything they want. The computer screen does not make them invulnerable.
    Worst comment ever.

    Of course it's a terrible comment. A computer screen is a thin piece of glass. It wouldn't stop a bullet or, hell, probably even a knife.

    I'll have you know the last person who tried to stab through my CRT nearly died
    Then I thanked him for destroying that piece of junk
    Hit the capacitor did he?

    Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    This is all sorts of ridiculous. First of all, if you're gonna kill anyone, make it Sean Avery, not the game's most exciting player.

    The police will be visiting you shortly.

    To lend you a gun.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    Thing is, if someone did post a death threat like that on the internet in a public forum, everyone laughed it off, and then the person did follow through and kill someone, there would be outrage that "something wasn't done! The signs were all there! why didn't the police act?!?!?!?"

    Because it would be an enormous waste of resources to follow up on every threat made on the Interbutts?

    Oh wait, I'm using logic. Never mind.

    Oh I know. I'm just saying there's no way to win, really.

    Everyone knows you can't win the internet. I mean, that's a lot of killing to accomplish. Physically impossible.

    I'm pretty sure that 4chan is the final dungeon.

    But no one ever comes out of that one alive.

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Get out of here with your logic Perigrine. It has no place on the internets or real world.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    Thing is, if someone did post a death threat like that on the internet in a public forum, everyone laughed it off, and then the person did follow through and kill someone, there would be outrage that "something wasn't done! The signs were all there! why didn't the police act?!?!?!?"

    Because it would be an enormous waste of resources to follow up on every threat made on the Interbutts?

    Oh wait, I'm using logic. Never mind.

    Oh I know. I'm just saying there's no way to win, really.

    Everyone knows you can't win the internet. I mean, that's a lot of killing to accomplish. Physically impossible.

    I'm pretty sure that 4chan is the final dungeon.

    But no one ever comes out of that one alive.

    I guess that makes 4chan a Rogue-like, doesn't it? Like, a pimply teen-age rage, hentai Rogue-like.

    Drake on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Or we can just lock up all kids in hermetically-sealed bubbles.

    For their own protection.

    If we didn't teach our children to read, we wouldn't have these problems!

    I think we should start Mothers Against Literacy to prevent children from ever being able to read harmful things again.

    Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    saint2e wrote: »
    Thing is, if someone did post a death threat like that on the internet in a public forum, everyone laughed it off, and then the person did follow through and kill someone, there would be outrage that "something wasn't done! The signs were all there! why didn't the police act?!?!?!?"

    Because it would be an enormous waste of resources to follow up on every threat made on the Interbutts?

    Oh wait, I'm using logic. Never mind.

    Oh I know. I'm just saying there's no way to win, really.

    Everyone knows you can't win the internet. I mean, that's a lot of killing to accomplish. Physically impossible.

    I'm pretty sure that 4chan is the final dungeon.

    But no one ever comes out of that one alive.

    I guess that makes 4chan a Rogue-like, doesn't it? Like, a pimply teen-age rage, hentai Rogue-like.
    Welcome to 4chan.org!
    Possible directions are: [ a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / w / wg ]
    > /b/
    Shitting dick nipples hits you for 36.
    You die.
    Would you like your possessions identified?

    CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    Are death threats protected speech?

    Yes and no.

    I've always wondered the point of free speech if there was repercussions. What's the difference between a government that says "We'll chop off your head if you say ill about the king" and one that says "You can say whatever you want... as long as it's not offensive or in bad taste" ? Nothing really free about either, and freedom of repercussion is the essence of free speech isn't it?

    And likely there's a difference between

    "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head, I'd probably pay someone to do it."
    and
    "Okay I'm planning to shoot King Louis in the head at dawn in the eve of the superbowl, anyone else in?"

    There is a difference, though I think both are illegal under current law. The first one only because of the phrase "I'd probably pay someone to do it" indicates a personal willingness and consideration of committing conspiracy to commit murder, which is illegal. If you said "I wish someone would shoot King Louis in the head.", that's absolutely protected.

    The latter, I believe, requires investigation, but isn't necessarily always illegal.

    However, IANAL and only took one class on constitutional law, so my interpretation may be off.

    Premier kakos on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Or we can just lock up all kids in hermetically-sealed bubbles.

    For their own protection.
    Well the damn ACLU would have a fit. Better dodge that with some smart regulation. The kids can be transferred to 'the yard', which is a 20'x20' area surrounded by chain link electrified fence. This is assuming they submit to a strip search both ways.

    You know they listen to that devil music and smoke cough syrup to get high!

    TL DR on
Sign In or Register to comment.