As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dog-proof shoe rack (building stuff)

AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently tore out the shitty old carpet in our bedroom and put in bamboo floors. In the process of doing this I took the sliding doors off of our closet. After I got the floors in, my wife and I both noticed that we like how the room looks better without the doors.

Here's the problem. We have 3 dogs, and they are monkey-level clever. They like shoes. We keep all of our shoes in this closet. I plan on building a shoe shelf/rack thing to organize them (they were a fucking mess before anyway). Something like this:

shoes.jpg

It's going to be about 6' long, and maybe 3 levels. If I made one exactly like that I would be going to the shoe store barefoot the next day. I need some way to secure them in there. I first thought of doors, but that is kind of a pain in the ass. Sliding ones make it so you can only see half of the shoes at a time, and swinging doors limit the placement. A flip up top (like a chest) would be awesome, but it only works for the top level.

My current idea is to have some kind of doors and a flip up top. We could put the most used shoes on the top level, although that might not work for my wife (insert women and shoes joke). Anyone have a better idea? I thought of putting a lip on the end so that you have to lift the shoes up and then out, but that would confuse our dogs for maybe a minute.

I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
AtomBomb on

• Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you have room to hang things in your closet, why not get the shoes up off the floor and out of the reach of the dogs? Instead of building a rack from the ground up, could you have it hanging from the crossbar in the closet? That would avoid needing to put doors on it.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you have room to hang things in your closet, why not get the shoes up off the floor and out of the reach of the dogs? Instead of building a rack from the ground up, could you have it hanging from the crossbar in the closet? That would avoid needing to put doors on it.

This. If the dogs really want to get at the shoes they will destroy the rack to get at them.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Sliding ones make it so you can only see half of the shoes at a time.

Sliding glass doors?

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yea, you need to get them off the floor. Ikea has these things which are neat.
    shoe-storage-ikea-trones.jpg
    and I know you are keeping an open closet, but maybe you can put something like this somewhere.
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/ikea%20shoe%20rack/JenKin_Yat/Ikea/Image1546-1.jpg

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    teach your dogs not to eat your shoes

whatever door/gate thing you design will be a pain in the ass to use regularly... and eventually one of you will forget it (in a rush, or tired, etc.) and your dogs will feast

illig on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the concept of a bottom hinge. If you're as handy as you sound you should be able to build one in.

The bottom hinge will allow for full access without you having to get on your hands and knees to get to the shoes. A simple magnet system can hold it close with little effort on your part.

Just a thought.

DrZiplock on