As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suggestions for sightseeing in the general San Francisco area

GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm traveling to San Francisco on the 22nd for a Memorial Service for a relative. So up until that monday I will be occupied but I plan on seeing things while I am in California (I'm an east coaster and don't get out that way much). My plan right now is to visit in San Francisco for a day or two and then go south and visit the Monterrey bay area and see the aquarium there. Next, head south for some sightseeing in the Big Sur area. From there I'm not really sure. I would like to see the redwoods in Sequoia National Park but that's about 5 hours inland and there doesn't seem to be anything on the way. Also getting anywhere from there is another big long drive.

Also, I've been to San Francisco a few years ago. Visited the marina area, the MoMA, Asian Art Museum and Golden Gate park. Also biked across the bridge and around Sausalito. Went to Napa and Muir woods along with Point Reyes. Those things don't really hold my interest now so...what else am I missing in this area?

Basically I'm asking, what else is in striking distance that is worth seeing in the NorCal area? What stuff do you think everyone should see?

Also: Based on this route so far I think flying into San Francisco but out of another airport might be easier.

sierracrest.jpg
Gafoto on

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alcatraz Island is good, if you're into that type of sightseeing (guided tours, etc.).

The California Academy of Sciences is supposed to be the shit, but I have yet to have a chance to go.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have you taken a tour of the city yet? we took our visiting family on a bus one and it was really a lot of fun/interesting. i also second alcatraz especially if you can do the night tour

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The California Academy of Sciences is supposed to be the shit, but I have yet to have a chance to go.

It's a really interesting place, but unless you go early enough to get tickets for one of the shows (planetarium/etc - they're free, but first-come first-serve, so you have to get there in the earlyish morning), it doesn't really have more than 2 or 3 hours of stuff to walk around and see... I took a group of interview students there as a trip this year, and it was somewhat disappointing after hearing the rave reviews. Still good, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't go in expecting the most amazing experience ever

Have you been to the exploratorium? I've heard that's also pretty fun, depending on how much your inner child still controls you :)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    nah exploratorium is ok, but i don't think its worth it. unless you have kids

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hire a bike and cycle accross the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalita. Then catch the ferry back accross. Me and my mates were so glad we did that, awesome awesome views.

I think it's about 7 miles and it's not too hard a cycle. Some hills but overall we managed it.

Ponge on
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well South of Big Sur there's Hearst Castle and you could continue on for wine tasting in Paso Robles if that's your thing.

There's always Yosemite if you do end up heading inland.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Most of the touristy stuff sucks.

Go down to San Jose and check out the Winchester Mystery Mansion for a little bit of crazy. If you like piercings and stuff there's a place called Paisley Haus which is pretty cool, or used to be, and it's close by.

Taking highway 1 down to Monterrey is more interesting than the aquarium itself in my opinion. Stop often and just go roam around some gorgeous beaches, the weather is awesome right now.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd probably hang out in the Haight for an afternoon, hang out on Castro St. for a lunch or so and browse the shops, check out the Metreon in SOMA, walk around North Beach and check out the City Lights bookstore and have lunch at the Stinking Rose. You can check out Coit Tower too, if you want, but it's not essential. Walking the Embarcadero down to FiDi is kind of fun too, but you can take the Muni for that.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cable cars were cool. And the guided city tour (on a bus made up to look like a cable car) my wfie says was good (I had to work and she needed to burn an afternoon before I could pick her up).

I can second the Winchester Mystery House if you don't mind driving to San Jose.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ponge wrote: »
    Hire a bike and cycle accross the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalita. Then catch the ferry back accross. Me and my mates were so glad we did that, awesome awesome views.

I think it's about 7 miles and it's not too hard a cycle. Some hills but overall we managed it.

I already did this. Not to be snippy but if you read my post you would've seen this.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions for San Francisco, I think I can fill up a day quite nicely with some of these activities.

How are Yosemite and Sequoia? Could I see the best stuff in a day?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    well as far as yosemite, probably not, but you can drive through see the valley and maybe do a falls hike. but the fals won't be going and it will be bloody hot in the valley. if you want to nature sightsee in yosemite head to tuolumne, it will be much nicer

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DiogeeDiogee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RIDE THE DUCKS!

http://www.sanfranciscoducks.com/

QUACK QUACK

Diogee on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Might also want to check out some of the lesser known but just as awesome national parks local to the Bay Area like Mt. Diablo. You know, unless you've already been on the top of a mountain from which you can see the curvature of the earth.

Also, for Redwoods, I think Big Basin is pretty great and a lot closer to SF. Santa Cruz is also nearby and that's a pretty great place to hang out, especially at the boardwalk. The weather should be great this time of year too.

There's also the San Jose Tech Museum.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MisterGrok wrote: »
    Might also want to check out some of the lesser known but just as awesome national parks local to the Bay Area like Mt. Diablo. You know, unless you've already been on the top of a mountain from which you can see the curvature of the earth.

Also, for Redwoods, I think Big Basin is pretty great and a lot closer to SF. Santa Cruz is also nearby and that's a pretty great place to hang out, especially at the boardwalk. The weather should be great this time of year too.

I actually live in concord and I can see the damn mountain from here... I've considered just walking up the bastard one day when I have some time off, but getting down would take too long.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I was told to do this in a more abstract way but I'll just flat out say it's a sort of scavenger hunt for art game in the guise of some crazy cult. It's free and a lot of fun if you have a couple hours to blow and want to see art/China town in an interesting way. Their website has the building address.

My wife and I did it a few months back and it really is a neat and weird way of sight seeing.

Quid on
  • Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »

I actually live in concord and I can see the damn mountain from here... I've considered just walking up the bastard one day when I have some time off, but getting down would take too long.

I hiked up the mountain once. It was pretty challenging further up, thin air doesn't agree with me. We actually ended up catching a ride down in the back of someone's pickup because the weather was pretty crappy and we were tired.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Check out the old military bunkers in the Marin Headlands. I can tell you where the best ones are if you're interested. I wouldn't bother with Yosemite unless you can spend at least a full day there (it'll be crowded as hell anyway).

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I went up to Point Reyes area last time I was in SF and I don't think I'll get as much mileage out of heading north as I did last time.
    mts wrote: »
    well as far as yosemite, probably not, but you can drive through see the valley and maybe do a falls hike. but the fals won't be going and it will be bloody hot in the valley. if you want to nature sightsee in yosemite head to tuolumne, it will be much nicer

Ok, so if I do go, I guess I should plan on spending a full day at least in Yosemite. This site claims the falls will be in good stead by late may, has the weather in California been particularly dry lately?

I'm going to be travelling with my father and unfortunately he's not as spry as I am and I don't think he would be all that enthused about a long hike up Mt. Diablo.

Big Basin looks nice though and I think we will definitely work it into a Monterrey area excursion.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »
    I went up to Point Reyes area last time I was in SF and I don't think I'll get as much mileage out of heading north as I did last time.

Ok, so if I do go, I guess I should plan on spending a full day at least in Yosemite. This site claims the falls will be in good stead by late may, has the weather in California been particularly dry lately?

I'm going to be travelling with my father and unfortunately he's not as spry as I am and I don't think he would be all that enthused about a long hike up Mt. Diablo.

Big Basin looks nice though and I think we will definitely work it into a Monterrey area excursion.

... You can drive up Mt Diablo, man. I was just talking about walking it one day because if I'm out and about having a cup of coffee and look left, there that fucker is... taunting me.

edit: The weather in Northern California is always dry, because even if we get normal rainfall we have 45 million people living in a desert to the south stealing our water. Fuck southern California, seriously.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »

edit: The weather in Northern California is always dry, because even if we get normal rainfall we have 45 million people living in a desert to the south stealing our water. Fuck southern California, seriously.

Kind of off-topic, but those same assholes are stealing water from Arizona and Nevada too. Between LA and Las Vegas, they're stealing water from the surrounding 7 or 8 states.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    if you want to nature sightsee in yosemite head to tuolumne, it will be much nicer

Yeah, the Tuolumne River has some really cool whitewater day trips.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yea the T is a sweet river to run.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you like fishing you can get a charter for a day or go out on a party boat and just relax.

dispatch.o on