As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tournament On] Blood Bowl

• Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Hey Nion!

ABLOO ABLOO ABLOO :|

the key to retaining players: flaming them.
    Well if he's already quit because he lost one game flaming him really isn't going to do any more harm

Well, it pushed me to going. Not the kind of atmo i look for in a playerbase.
    I think you'd have to look long and hard to find a playerbase where at least one person won't flame someone for quitting a tourney they committed to early and screwing everyone else in the tourney

It would surprise me if a) the league admin can't force a concession, or b) nion would be unwilling to hop on and concede once a week.
    Considering that he fouled the opposing team for 4 turns straight hoping to cause more injuries, and in the process ignoring the ball allowing his opponent to score even MORE TD's... and THEN ragequitting after he inevitably lost, I'm pretty sure he won't be coming back to concede once a week at all.

These tourneys are organized often, and they are always sabotaged by just such players, if you're going to sign up to a tournament, see it through. After the 3rd or so tourney/league this has occured excuse me for being just a little bitter.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Uhhh, what the hell happened?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey Nion!

Well if he's already quit because he lost one game flaming him really isn't going to do any more harm

I think you'd have to look long and hard to find a playerbase where at least one person won't flame someone for quitting a tourney they committed to early and screwing everyone else in the tourney

It would surprise me if a) the league admin can't force a concession, or b) nion would be unwilling to hop on and concede once a week.
    Considering that he fouled the opposing team for 4 turns straight hoping to cause more injuries, and in the process ignoring the ball allowing his opponent to score even MORE TD's... and THEN ragequitting after he inevitably lost, I'm pretty sure he won't be coming back to concede once a week at all.

These tourneys are organized often, and they are always sabotaged by just such players, if you're going to sign up to a tournament, see it through. After the 3rd or so tourney/league this has occured excuse me for being just a little bitter.

I'm sure lying about what I did in the game will somehow help the tournament.

No, wait, it really doesn't.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    *Double post, gah*

Nion on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nion wrote: »
    Hey Nion!

I'm sure lying about what I did in the game will somehow help the tournament.

No, wait, it really doesn't.
    I'm taking another player's quote, who doesn't want to be named, but now that you're here why don't you try to justify why exactly you just kneejerk abandoned the tournament?

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Two games in a row where I failed everything I did was bad. Having my opponent break armor 8 times in a row, and foul almost every turn but never get sent off was aggravating.

Being flamed in the thread made me realize that coming back after cooling down like I'd normaly do would be a waste of my time.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Two games in a row where I failed everything I did was bad. Having my opponent break armor 8 times in a row, and foul almost every turn but never get sent off was aggravating.

Being flamed in the thread made me realize that coming back after cooling down like I'd normaly do would be a waste of my time.
    If you came back and continued I'm pretty sure everyone would be fine and be glad, but dropping everything and leaving us high and dry is going to leave alot of us understandably pissed, eh Nion? It's not like we can get someone to replace you now two rounds into it, and this is blood bowl, people have unlucky streaks - you take the good with the bad.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Or your like me and cursed to get your shit pushed in regularly.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You guys are so mean. :(

tgbob on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, well, anyway. Moving on.

Found this nice write up on LRB5 changes. All sounds good to me and makes me excited for the Cyanide version. The Inducement stuff really sounds like an excellent way of balancing teams with mismatched ratings. Was that in the Beta at all? Also the free temporary linemen for teams below full strength is a fantastic idea.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Both of these things were in the beta, I was pleasantly surprised!

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also I guess match report for Jellied Brains (Me Undead) vs Histories Graveyard (Kaliyama Necromantic).

Both teams were pretty evenly matched capability wise, both employing the 'smash big holes in the line and send through the (relatively) agile nippy guys to sprint for the line' tactic. Ended in a gentleman's 2-2 draw, memorable moments being a Hail Mary pass from one touchline to the other when Kaliyama had neglected back line defence and a final turn touch down from his fantastic dodging Wolf. My moment of shame being when a Mummy failed to even manage a pushback to send said Wolf crowdsurfing, instead opting for the double skulls/both down, rerolled to the same.

No long term damage to either team (though his Wolf aged a niggle which was most unjust) and The Brains are now feeling like they're really coming together nicely as the skills start to appear and enough cash was scraped together to replace the early Ghoul fatality. Conifidently we march forward to our inevitable doom in round 3!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also I guess match report for Jellied Brains (Me Undead) vs Histories Graveyard (Kaliyama Necromantic).

Both teams were pretty evenly matched capability wise, both employing the 'smash big holes in the line and send through the (relatively) agile nippy guys to sprint for the line' tactic. Ended in a gentleman's 2-2 draw, memorable moments being a Hail Mary pass from one touchline to the other when Kaliyama had neglected back line defence and a final turn touch down from his fantastic dodging Wolf. My moment of shame being when a Mummy failed to even manage a pushback to send said Wolf crowdsurfing, instead opting for the double skulls/both down, rerolled to the same.

No long term damage to either team (though his Wolf aged a niggle which was most unjust) and The Brains are now feeling like they're really coming together nicely as the skills start to appear and enough cash was scraped together to replace the early Ghoul fatality. Conifidently we march forward to our inevitable doom in round 3!

By the second half, though, JamWarrior was waxing me. The hail mary pass was brilliant.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brass Zeppelin vs Khaza Trol 0-1

Two teams of armour 9 players with block and crappy movement facing off,This game was predictable draw out and bloody.

Brass Zeppelin went onto the pitch outnumbered 10 to 11 thanks to a SI from the previous rounds, with odds quickly lengthening to 8 vs 11 thanks to a couple of lucky early KOs from the Dwarves, in spite of this numerical advatange a sum total of nothing happened in the first half, thanks to some determined delaying tactics from Brass Zeppelin and a failed GFI roll from a Khaza Trol blitzer on the touch line.

The second half continued in much the same spirit, with both teams grinding away on each other, but did feature a hobgoblin returning the favour and fouling a troll slayer to death, only to have his hard work destroyed by an apothecary, until Brass Zepplin were betrayed at the start of a turn by a fucking touchpad causing an AGI 2 chaos dwarf to attempt to dodge into a dwarfs tackle zone, leaving the team in a painful position, the dwarves quickly took advantage of this fuck up, seizing the initative, outnumbering and overwhelming the few CDs who hadn't been knocked down without a chance to stand back up and making it into the CDs end-zone for the only touch down of the match.

Those of you wishing to recreate this match from the Chaos Dwarves perspective, take a brick and rub it against some concrete for half an hour, then when it comes time to change half stick your dick in between the brick and concrete for a minute or so. Thats how you feel after you lose a game because your hand bumped a pad.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    on the other hand if your going for the dwarfs side just skip the dick part

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    cinderblock vs concrete slab! the ultimate grudge match!

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've decided that I don't want to fuck up the tournament for everyone just because of LightReaper making up crap just to flame. I will play the tournament games, but I'm still out of the league. I see no reason to stay when the only difference from ranked games is that it's much harder to find an opponent.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just watched that game's replay, it doesn't have the first half for some reason. But I saw no fouling in Nion's part on the second half. I did catch Jack's bullshit chain fouling on Nion's gutter rat though.

tgbob on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Having reviewed the replay i agree with bob, Jack be less of a cunt.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Having reviewed the replay i agree with bob, Jack be less of a cunt.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Look. Normally, I never foul. I never stall. Ask JamWarrior about that if you have to. But the fact is that when Nion has something as game-breaking as a one-turn scorer, unorthodox tactics are called for. I even asked the chat room at one point--"would it be poor form to foul at this point?" and had at least three people that I can still recall tell me to do it for the good of the league. After he scored without me ever moving or rolling a dice, I was compelled to try and remove that bullshit. I essentially had to move my defensive spirit into my offense, otherwise it was unlikely that I would have had a chance at all.

I understand that Nion is disappointed that he couldn't just one-turn his way to victory without me ever making a defensive move, but frankly I don't think that justifies any bitching, let alone chastising the way I played. If he had had any sort of strategy besides an offensive game in which I could have no effect, maybe he would have done better.

I know there were bad rolls too, and I'm sorry about that. But don't blame me for trying to remove a one-turn scorer that essentially doesn't even let me play the game.

And the references to Nion's fouling weren't about my game, they were about Nion's league game before ours, where apparently he late-game fouled with no justification. I don't really know, and I don't really care. But if you're going to tell me to 'be less of a cunt' then it seems like you're going against logic and at least four members of this league.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jackisreal wrote: »
    I know there were bad rolls too, and I'm sorry about that. But don't blame me for trying to remove a one-turn scorer that essentially doesn't even let me play the game.

Uhhh, you don't lose anything from a one turn score except being a goal down. You still get the same amount of turns, the same amount of moves and so forth. And you weren't a goal down. You were a goal up. You had possession of the ball, with Nion undermanned and having no way of threatening your ballcarrier in a meaningful manner barring any major mistakes on your part. Just because the peanut gallery told you to be a cunt doesn't make you any less of a cunt.

You honestly don't see anything wrong with fouling 8 times in a match against a squishy team, even after you were rolling in CAS and the clear winner of the game?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes, I did late-game foul in my earlier game. After failing to do anything at all for most of the game (my first two actions were two-dice blocks with rerolls that caused turnovers, and it didn't get any better after that) I just started essentially skipping my turns, and just letting my opponent win. And after telling him that I'd given up, he kept fouling. So I fouled back. Not my best moment of sportsmanship, I know.

And as for the tournament game: Breaking armor 9 times out of 10 (literally) is not a brilliant offensive strategy. It's just bullshit luck. As is starting your turns with 1die frenzy blocks and fouling every turn, and never getting a turnover from it.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Less drama, more Blood Bowl, all of you. Just drop it and move on.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I concur with the fairy. Everyone also needs to be less of a cunt, but that's kinda automatic.

tgbob on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've decided that I don't want to fuck up the tournament for everyone just because of LightReaper making up crap just to flame. I will play the tournament games, but I'm still out of the league. I see no reason to stay when the only difference from ranked games is that it's much harder to find an opponent.
    I'm not going to start this up again because I'm genuinely glad that you're back and I did over-react, but I didn't make anything up, I was going off what someone else told me.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes, I did late-game foul in my earlier game. After failing to do anything at all for most of the game (my first two actions were two-dice blocks with rerolls that caused turnovers, and it didn't get any better after that) I just started essentially skipping my turns, and just letting my opponent win. And after telling him that I'd given up, he kept fouling. So I fouled back. Not my best moment of sportsmanship, I know.

And as for the tournament game: Breaking armor 9 times out of 10 (literally) is not a brilliant offensive strategy. It's just bullshit luck. As is starting your turns with 1die frenzy blocks and fouling every turn, and never getting a turnover from it.

Watch the replay man. I clearly didn't foul every turn, even though I could have. I don't see anything wrong with 1d blocks when all my guys have block and 4 team rerolls, if it's an important block. But that's besides the point.

I understand the dice really didn't go your way, and I'm sorry for that, but that's just part of the game. At least at the end of the day nothing really bad happened to your team. But even if you'd had a casualty, it doesn't matter. Your team is made up of diabolical rat people, and my guys never wear shirts.I really don't think we should take this too seriously.

Let's just play some games.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I go into every game expecting to lose. I get an adrenaline high every time my guys don't get killed after a block. It's kinda sad.

tgbob on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Uhhh, you don't lose anything from a one turn score except being a goal down. You still get the same amount of turns, the same amount of moves and so forth. And you weren't a goal down. You were a goal up. You had possession of the ball, with Nion undermanned and having no way of threatening your ballcarrier in a meaningful manner barring any major mistakes on your part. Just because the peanut gallery told you to be a cunt doesn't make you any less of a cunt.

You honestly don't see anything wrong with fouling 8 times in a match against a squishy team, even after you were rolling in CAS and the clear winner of the game?

As someone completely neutral who just happened to randomly look at this thread...

Fouling 1 turn scorers is totally, completely legit. No matter what the circumstances, I don't care if you're up 4 tds.

This is because being fouled out/injured/killed is the only weakness of those players. And for all you know you might be up against that team later in league play or a tournament or whatever.

It sucks having your star player killed, but boo hoo. That's the whole balancing factor of squishy teams in the first place, if you don't like it then there are plenty of tougher teams to play as. They can't score in one turn with a few lucky rolls on a runner though.

If you're going to both play a squishy team and paint a gigantic target on a player by giving them +MA/VLL, then you have to realize that player is going to die.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

As someone completely neutral who just happened to randomly look at this thread...

Fouling 1 turn scorers is totally, completely legit. No matter what the circumstances, I don't care if you're up 4 tds.

This is because being fouled out/injured/killed is the only weakness of those players. And for all you know you might be up against that team later in league play or a tournament or whatever.

It sucks having your star player killed, but boo hoo. That's the whole balancing factor of squishy teams in the first place, if you don't like it then there are plenty of tougher teams to play as. They can't score in one turn with a few lucky rolls on a runner though.

If you're going to both play a squishy team and paint a gigantic target on a player by giving them +MA/VLL, then you have to realize that player is going to die.

Well, he never actually fouled the one-turner.

Nion on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Not with any success, you mean.

jackisreal on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    me and nulflis just had our game , and I believe his vikings are cursed. i berat him 3 - 1 by the end of it he was down to 7 men, had a niggle and his ogre died. Granted his ogre thought he was an elf for a second and tried to dodge blitz. Needless to say I think vic vikes are essently boned for the rest of the tournament.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was already down 3 guys at that point and a touchdown, who figures an Ogre will completely fail an injury roll like that? But otherwise yeah, the Vikes are pretty much just like their real NFL counterparts, worthless.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Has this ground to a halt or what? I may not have been in the IRC but it seems like there's been no round 2 progress in ages.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kay has been busy moving for the past week or so, so our game has not been played. I believe he mentioned today being the day he got his internet connected, but I'm at work for another 3-4 hours, so I won't know till then.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Whee internet!

Need to move stuff around in the new bedroom and get my desktop set up, but I should be able to play tonight or tomorrow, depending on when stuff gets done, and when Rakh/Cynic's around. Starting a match at 11pm on a worknight is not a good plan, usually.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Game on in 2-2,5 hours as of the writing of this post for people who have voyeur tendencies and want to watch orcs get stomped by dinosaurs.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    :( Dinosaurs.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Is the tournament dead from due to the lazy folks?

tgbob on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dead from lazy. I should be able to play my next round match tomorrow!

Kay2 on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can do my match tonight if Tiger's around.

troublebrewing on