As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deadliest Brorrior]Broldiers vs Brommandos

• Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    The whole point of a phalanx is so that individual hoplite soldiers can protect each other with their shields (and contrary to 300, there's no reason for individual soldiers to go run out ahead and start stabbing people). The combat between phalanxes evolved specifically as a means of resolving conflict between Greek city-states and probably wouldn't function exceptionally well outside of the fitting geography of Greece (Greek armies of the 7th-4th century BC generally lacked ranged support or cavalry).
    Actually, the Phalanx wound up crushing the Persian empire when Alexander the great went forth to fight them.

Alexander was Macedonian and utilized cavalry as well as other foreign troops. My time periods might be off, but I believe that also approaches a period when spears began growing progressively longer. The general idea of a phalanx corresponds to a tight formation of spearman, which is why a formation of Swiss halberdiers is sometimes called a phalanx. Despite the similarity, hoplite-based phanlaxes fought in a different way than spearmen designed to combat cavalry or non-hoplite infantry.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't say I'm surpised about tonights victor.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That was one of the more rewarding episodes. Seeing the guy go to town on the gel dummy with the pointed rods was nuts. Even the Maori guy was impressed.

I can't wait to see next week. William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu. Dear god.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    That was one of the more rewarding episodes. Seeing the guy go to town on the gel dummy with the pointed rods was nuts. Even the Maori guy was impressed.

So its no longer the deadliest warriors but now the deadliest people?

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I can't say I'm surpised about tonights victor.

I actually think they fucked it up. They kept placing the shaolin as the one who was skilled and well trained when, if you think about it, they were amateurs compared to the dedicated warrior class of the Polynesians. They also forgot that the main benefit of metal is its malleability, and that, once they're both made, the "modern" stone tool is probably going to work better.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think Wallace and Shaka Zulu is going to be a once in a while thing.

And maybe Scalfin, but I don't know too much about either side really.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone boasting that they would just keep fighting after getting hit by one of those Monk Weapons has earned a slow and bloody death.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Trus wrote: »

Mike Wallace vs. Chaka Khan

GungHo on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

Andy Rooney is the one to watch for. If age and guile beat youth and strength, then Andy Rooney has to be one of the most devious bastards around.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Damnit I really want to see stormtrooper vs red shirt... I've been thinking about it and it would be the greatest battle ever

override367 on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Damnit I really want to see stormtrooper vs red shirt... I've been thinking about it and it would be the greatest battle ever
    Both die :P

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It would be boring. They'd both stand there and shoot at each other, missing each time until they run out of shots.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Everything about this show is totally devoid of intelligence. I love it.

I don't care how stupid it is. This is the only show where I get to see dudes fuck up a pig corpse with nun-chucks.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seemed odd that they never had the Shaolin guys demonstrate any weaponless martial arts.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Those Maori guys were hilarious

"B-b-b-b-but we're big!!"

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Seemed odd that they never had the Shaolin guys demonstrate any weaponless martial arts.
    Weaponless martial arts are meaningless if the other guy has a weapon. Jujutsu wasn't developed because some samurai decided to be a tough shit and would throw down his sword in every battle. It was developed because if you lost your sword in a battle, you're fuckin screwed until you can get another one.

And, given some of the "flash transitions", it looks like they did. You can see people kicking the shit out of the dummies. However, they only aired weapon comparison segments.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

they'd just rate it as non-lethal and no matter how effective you'd lose all points, like the ninja egg.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Weaponless martial arts are meaningless if the other guy has a weapon. Jujutsu wasn't developed because some samurai decided to be a tough shit and would throw down his sword in every battle. It was developed because if you lost your sword in a battle, you're fuckin screwed until you can get another one.

And, given some of the "flash transitions", it looks like they did. You can see people kicking the shit out of the dummies. However, they only aired weapon comparison segments.

But it's what the monks are most famous for. The show is for entertainment, not any sort of accuracy, otherwise gun >> all.

Especially when the tested the maori club thing breaking bricks... seems like the type of thing the monks ought to be able to do with their bare hands.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

But it's what the monks are most famous for. The show is for entertainment, not any sort of accuracy, otherwise gun >> all.

Especially when the tested the maori club thing breaking bricks... seems like the type of thing the monks ought to be able to do with their bare hands.

Also that they were proving the superiority of the stone to steel by trying to break the bricks with a steel knife. WTF, try a steel mace or a maul and see those bricks turn to dust.

Doc on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Audie Murphy vs Eddie Murphy

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Both die :P
    I'd like to think that the Storm Trooper armor would offer at least some protection against the Two-Fisted Punch and the Palm Thrust to the Chin, which are both the only martial arts moves taught by Starfleet.

I'm not even sure that Red Shirts can use phasers. I've never seen one.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

Cat Stevens vs. Katt Williams
    It's a draw.
    Stevens brings the suicide belt.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jim Bowie vs David Bowie

Bama on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Does Eddie get to bring a tranny as his weapon of choice?
    Bama wrote: »
    Jim Bowie vs David Bowie
    While Jim Bowie has the big knife, he doesn't know whether or not to pluck out the blue eye or the brown eye and during the surprise round, he is overrun by a mariachi band.

GungHo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They need to reshoot the Pirate vs. Knight episode with modern day knights and pirates.

Paul McCartney facing down a Somalian with an RPG.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'll admit that I was a bit taken aback by Kung Fu Hero suddenly going axe crazy with the stabby things. Everything else was pretty tame. There wasn't as much shit talking as in earlier episodes.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't watch the show because it's shitballs stupid. But I'm glad for its existence because it gets David Wenham work.

Also, stormtrooper vs. red shirt? Please. As one person said, you never see a red shirt, except possibly Scotty, ever actually using their phasers. And stormtroopers...bah.

Now, clonetrooper vs. gold shirt (TNG on) would be a fight.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, so shaka zulu vs william wallace, they were all ablooo ablooo about teh claymore taking off heads and it was more designed to crush and bend plate armor to disable the more heavily armored english right >?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man I think this episode is going to reach new heights of 'Sperging idiocy.

I can't see Wallace losing this. Shaka Zulu has no armor, while Wallace is wrapped in chain mail. Armor seems to be a major factor in this show.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man I think this episode is going to reach new heights of 'Sperging idiocy.

I can't see Wallace losing this. Shaka Zulu has no armor, while Wallace is wrapped in chain mail. Armor seems to be a major factor in this show.

Nothing can take a direct hit. The big question is whether your defenses can ward off a glancing blow.

One big question is how well the models can account for style, as the claymore is a one swing weapon. While Wallace could probably bring the claymore fast enough to keep Zulu from trying to rush him, but after that swing he's wide open and can't bring it back. That means that it's a test of how well a zulu can feint versus how well Wallace can figure it out.

Another issue is heat. Armour is manly limited by heat, which becomes a major issue in the activity of battle. If it's anywhere outside of Scotland, heat buildup and fatigue will set in very quickly.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    THE COMPUTER HAS SPOKEN

I do think that they're way underestimating the usefulness of the Poison Spit. Given that Shaka Zulu's main attribute is his speed, I'd think it would give him a major advangage. But it still comes down to armor in the end. The Ilkwa can pierce chain mail but only with a full force piercing blow, which isn't what it's designed for. Unless Shaka can get a blow in Wallace's head or neck there's not much he can do.

Can't wait for next week. Taliban vs IRA. Who the hell are they going to have as the advocates?

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Considering the Mujahideen roots, I'd call next week for the Taliban.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yet another person gets screwed over by a defense weapon.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    THE COMPUTER HAS SPOKEN

I do think that they're way underestimating the usefulness of the Poison Spit. Given that Shaka Zulu's main attribute is his speed, I'd think it would give him a major advangage. But it still comes down to armor in the end. The Ilkwa can pierce chain mail but only with a full force piercing blow, which isn't what it's designed for. Unless Shaka can get a blow in Wallace's head or neck there's not much he can do.

Can't wait for next week. Taliban vs IRA. Who the hell are they going to have as the advocates?

I find it mostly funny that they gave William Wallace a claymore when they didn't even exist when he was active.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    IRA vs Taliban....do the IRA get car bombs?

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, but they'll be foiled by the fact that the Taliben get caves, not cars.

This is such a bizarre show.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    One big question is how well the models can account for style, as the claymore is a one swing weapon. While Wallace could probably bring the claymore fast enough to keep Zulu from trying to rush him, but after that swing he's wide open and can't bring it back. That means that it's a test of how well a zulu can feint versus how well Wallace can figure it out.

A claymore is one of the smaller two handed weapons. It's not as fast as a one handed longsword, but the idea that it's a one swing weapon is more a movie idea then a real one. Most two handed Claymores were 4.5' to 5' in length. To put that in comparison, most period long swords were 3.5' to 4.0' in length. So they are longer and will have more momentum on a swing but not so much that it's one swing and you're guard is wide open. Against a foe with a shorter weapon and no armor you don't open with a wide swing, but a number of thrusting attacks.
    Another issue is heat. Armour is manly limited by heat, which becomes a major issue in the activity of battle. If it's anywhere outside of Scotland, heat buildup and fatigue will set in very quickly.

For a short one on one fight with both combatants close? No, not really. You're going to work up a sweat, but it's not going to be long enough for it to really become a hindrance. And chain doesn't really hold in heat that well, not in the way that plate does. Even tight weaves on chain flex quite a bit.
    Ok, so shaka zulu vs william wallace, they were all ablooo ablooo about teh claymore taking off heads and it was more designed to crush and bend plate armor to disable the more heavily armored english right >?

It tends to depend on when you're talking about. Early Claymores were used in clan fighting. So lightly armored foes with similar weapons. Those claymores tended to be smaller and lighter then later examples. Later Claymores tended to be longer and pretty good at opening up armor. In the end it doesn't matter. Even if it didn't cleave the head off, it's doing to do enough damage to a neck or head to be a fatal wound.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

well seeing as how the crusades were fought with full plate armor in the middle east, you can safely say that there are ways around heat issues.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

well seeing as how the crusades were fought with full plate armor in the middle east, you can safely say that there are ways around heat issues.

Didn't they lose?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Didn't they lose?

Both sides wore armor. All 50 and still counting sides.

DanHibiki on