As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 5/13/09: Nothing clever, it was Fables

2»

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The issue also reveals an interesting bit regarding the protagonists superpowers
    I thought that it was interesting that she seems to have the same sort of meltdown that Rulk does when he gets "angrier". Probably just a coincidence.

Of course with Rulk it's got something more to do with his blood getting hotter or something weird like that.

And on the subject of moments of the week, the entire issue of Pet Avengers was golden. I hope they shamelessly milk this thing harder than Marvel Zombies.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Divebommah wrote: »
    MotW for me was War of Kings: Ascension #2.

For the way they totally pulled a
    Dallas
    on Darkhawk's backstory. It's not that I like what they did, I'm just so damn amused about how they did it.

Umm...I didn't read it that way at all.
    I thought the 'rewrite' of Darkhawk's history was just the Servants of The Source fucking with Powell's brain. Or are we to assume that everything up until the tree is the new origin?

My own MOTW was the final page of Secret Warriors. I love this book. It's G. I. Joe done right.

KidDork on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My MotW was LoEG: 1910 not sucking....

muninn on
  • Options
    DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    KidDork wrote: »

Umm...I didn't read it that way at all.
    I thought the 'rewrite' of Darkhawk's history was just the Servants of The Source fucking with Powell's brain. Or are we to assume that everything up until the tree is the new origin?

No, no mind-fucking was going on here. This was not a hallucination -- I seriously think they've made his entire past out to be
    a hallucination caused by the fact that his brain can't handle the amulet, as opposed to The Servants trying to trick him into thinking that.

I see that it is still not 100% and can be interpreted the way you did though, so I'm keeping an open mind.

What do you guys think of his OMGMECHALOL armor?

Divebommah on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    muninn wrote: »
    My MotW was LoEG: 1910 not sucking....

It was quite good. And I enjoyed without having read The Black Dossier, which you still can't buy in Canada. Stupid Billy Bunter.

KidDork on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My new moment of the week is getting the Starman Omnibus Vol. 2 and Robin: A Hero Reborn.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Divebommah wrote: »
    MotW for me was War of Kings: Ascension #2.

For the way they totally pulled a
    Dallas
    on Darkhawk's backstory. It's not that I like what they did, I'm just so damn amused about how they did it.

Reading it gave me the impression that I'd be pissed off if I knew anything about the character.

For all I know they just made up Evilhawk.

Scooter on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My anti-moment of last week was that avengers reunion thing, which I have no idea why I'm reading. Skrull Tigra hanging from a tree, talking to Skrull Hawkeye:

"I can has cheeseburger?"

desc on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    desc wrote: »
    My anti-moment of last week was that avengers reunion thing, which I have no idea why I'm reading. Skrull Tigra hanging from a tree, talking to Skrull Hawkeye:

"I can has cheeseburger?"

He actually spelled it with a "z". I was reading it because I like the idea and characters. But McCann should keep his day job because so far it's a turd.

Your moment of anti-zen:
    30lh1zq.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What the fuck is the context of that scene?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    What the fuck is the context of that scene?
    Mockingbird, lacking any superpowers, is deemed the easiest superhero for the skrulls to kidnap and replace first. The skrulls lock her up, then impersonate her buddies to break her mind, and that's the scene before she wises up and breaks free from skrull prison. Mockingbird hears them bitching each other out about their shitty acting skills, like, a room away from her while she's still in the hallway, and then she beats them up and runs off.

It's pretty pointless to read.

desc on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, going back to my MotW regarding War of Kings: Ascension #2 and the Darkhawk revelation, I just remembered something big about the character that totally destroys my suspension of disbelief. DnA fucked up. Here goes.
    The "retcon" (I know it isn't one, but it serves my purposes) depends on the fact that Darkhawk has been hallucinating his past and fights with Evilhawk & co. How, though, do they explain Portal? Portal, AKA the guy in charge of A.R.M.O.R. who killed a Darkhawk and (if I recall correctly) helped Chris Powell defend New York against Evilhawk and his bad dudes in the final issues of his run? Portal basically proves it wasn't a hallucination.

So either the retcon is garbage or indeed, as someone else mentioned, it is the Servants fucking with Powell's mind.

The only other possible explanation here is that Evilhawk & co. were real, but were actually remote-controlled Darkhawk alts, but we haven't seen Chris do that before.

Finally, WTF happened to his alternate 2.0 Darkhawk armor? It showed up in the last issue of The Loners when he beat the shit out of the Hobgoblin.

I'm going to go cry in the corner now.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Loners was terrible.

I'd read Ascension, but I still have to read Annihilation.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Loners was terrible.

I'd read Ascension, but I still have to read Annihilation.

Yeah, Annihilation was damn good. Conquest is meh. War of Kings is pretty good so far.

Divebommah on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There was a lot of stuff I really enjoyed that came out on the 6th, but I never got around to posting anything about them. I wanted to remedy that, before tomorrow's MoTW thread rolls around. I'm going to forgo the usual spoiler tags, as these issues are two weeks old.

Scott Wegener was all over the place, with his art gracing three different books; Human Torch, Atomic Robo: Shadow From Beyond Time, and Killer of Demons, written by Scott Snyder, Brian Clevinger, and Chris Yost, respectively.

Human Torch didn't have much to the story, and I honestly expected more robots-punching-Nazis action when I heard that Marvel got the artist for Atomic Robo to illustrate a book starring the original Nazi-punchin' robot. Still, it was an enjoyable little period piece that told a dramatic story without taking itself too seriously.

Plus, Jim Hammond? Classy fuckin' dude.
    HumanTorch1A.jpg
    You wouldn't see Wolverine doing that.

In Atomic Robo, the titular Robo was visited by lovable racist H.P. Lovecraft, and his companion Charles Fort, regarding a matter concerning Tunguska. Cue flashback.
    AtomicRoboSBT1A.jpg

Killer of Demons wrapped up, neatly resolving the story while still leaving enough dangling plot threads, and a great cliffhanger, to set up another volume. I was initially pretty reticent about the series, given that I haven't enjoyed much of Yost's past work, but I'm glad I gave it a shot. Due in large part, I think, to the art. Had an artist with a more realistic style illustrated it, I think the ultra-violence and generally dark happenings would have been more difficult to enjoy. But with Wegener drawing it, it comes across as absurd and fun, like a really violent dark comedy.

I highly recommend the inevitable TPB to everyone.
    KillerofDemons3A.jpg

Astonishing Tales was again really good, with stories featuring Punisher, Wolverine, the Iron Man of the future, Mojo, Cannonball, Sunspot, and Daredevil. I can't wait to see Kenneth Rocafort tackle another project for Marvel because his art is just killer on the Punisher/Wolverine story.

But the Mojo story was, again, my favorite of the bunch. Continuing the previous plot, wherein Sunspot and Cannonball have been forced to make movies for the belligerent blob, they opt to remake Wedding Crashers, with things quickly going awry as Mojo asks them for help with his love life. There's a few good gags for people who know the movie, like a slovenly Wolverine sitting on the couch with nunchucks draped around his neck, but for the most part the plot focuses on Mojo trying to get laid, and suffering catastrophic failure at every turn.

I particularly enjoyed this panel, especially in light of Boom Boom's recent death in X-Force.
    AstonishingTales4A.jpg

But this page is more indicative of plot. Plus, I love Mojo's face in the last panel.
    AstonishingTales4B.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    wait, what is astonishing tales? i don't think i've noticed it at all but the idea of mojo fucking...intrigues me.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's a collection of various stories. It's actually really enjoyable to read. Really one of the few things Marvel's putting out that doesn't make me want to kill after I finish it. There's a Punisher/Wolverine teamup vs. Predator X on Madripoor, Iron Man 2020, the Mojo story with Sam and Roberto, and like one-shots. There was one with MODOK in a roadside desert diner, Spiderwoman doing PI work in L.A. (though the intro narration was retarded, but the story was good). The Frank/Logan story has Rocquefort doing arc which is just swell.

Also, an upcoming issue features Sabra--a mutant Mossad agent/superhero. So it's fucking gold as far as I'm concerned.

You should check it out. Also, these Marvel Adventure books are actually pretty good. I started getting them with the issue of Super Heroes featuring Dr. Strange and Foggy Nelson and I laughed my ass off. But I'm still not ever reading Spidey again.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    wait, what is astonishing tales? i don't think i've noticed it at all but the idea of mojo fucking...intrigues me.

Like Crimsondude said, it's the latest Marvel anthology title, and a damn good one.

I believe all the material is stuff that Marvel originally commissioned for their digital subscription service, which they then decided to put into print. I'm hoping that alternative revenue stream will let it last longer than Marvel's past anthologies.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Cannonball/Sunspot stories the last few months have been great. Their "marvel civil war" film may have been better than the actual Civil War crossover.

Also how did I miss that Human Torch issue, Munch. Must get.

Killer of Demons looks pretty good too. Hmm.

desc on