As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just had an attempted break-in. Your run-ins with criminals?

18910111214»

• Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »

You turned your nose up at a FREE (as in beer) keg of beer? Any beer? Wow.

Well, my brother did sell it for 50 bucks or so the next weekend.

I had brought some of my nice cigars with me and we just didn't feel like smoking Maduros with Miller Lite.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Back when my younger brother lived in Gettysburg, I was up visiting him and hanging out for a weekend. For those that don't know, Gettysburg, PA is home to Gettysburg college which is a pretty nice liberal arts college. We were walking through the part of town where the college and the town merge where there are a lot of frat houses. It was Friday evening around 9 P.M. in the middle of July.

We walk by this one house with music blaring, people hanging out on the lawn, basically a lot of commotion and muffled noise from the street. A black Escalade pulls up to the curb about 100 feet in front of us and 4 or 5 twenty-something guys jump out and start unloading the back which is filled with at least a half dozen kegs. The guy unloading the SUV sees my brother, rolls a keg towards us and shouts, take that downstairs to the cooler.

Being the obliging fellows that we are, we glance at each other, each grab a handle and head towards the frat house. We get lost in the back hallways since this was a pretty big house and eventually lurch onto the back patio without having found the stairs to wherever we were supposed to take it. My brother looks at me and says, "This is a lot of beer"

Since we were on our way to the liquor store before we were accosted by the keg transportation vehicle, we just started walking across the lawn and back onto the street. We carried that thing half a mile back to my bro's place and took all the bottom shelves out of the fridge to fit it in. Turns out is was some crappy light beer, Miller Light I think so we never tapped it and ended up going to the liquor store anyways.

Eventually my brother took another trip down to frat row and found a house that was willing to buy it for like half the normal price. He got like 50 bucks for it.

Not sure if this counts as criminal since someone did hand us (roll us) the keg.

Yeah, straight up calling shenanigans on this story. No college kid would turn down free beer of any kind.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Back when my younger brother lived in Gettysburg, I was up visiting him and hanging out for a weekend. For those that don't know, Gettysburg, PA is home to Gettysburg college which is a pretty nice liberal arts college. We were walking through the part of town where the college and the town merge where there are a lot of frat houses. It was Friday evening around 9 P.M. in the middle of July.

We walk by this one house with music blaring, people hanging out on the lawn, basically a lot of commotion and muffled noise from the street. A black Escalade pulls up to the curb about 100 feet in front of us and 4 or 5 twenty-something guys jump out and start unloading the back which is filled with at least a half dozen kegs. The guy unloading the SUV sees my brother, rolls a keg towards us and shouts, take that downstairs to the cooler.

Being the obliging fellows that we are, we glance at each other, each grab a handle and head towards the frat house. We get lost in the back hallways since this was a pretty big house and eventually lurch onto the back patio without having found the stairs to wherever we were supposed to take it. My brother looks at me and says, "This is a lot of beer"

Since we were on our way to the liquor store before we were accosted by the keg transportation vehicle, we just started walking across the lawn and back onto the street. We carried that thing half a mile back to my bro's place and took all the bottom shelves out of the fridge to fit it in. Turns out is was some crappy light beer, Miller Light I think so we never tapped it and ended up going to the liquor store anyways.

Eventually my brother took another trip down to frat row and found a house that was willing to buy it for like half the normal price. He got like 50 bucks for it.

Not sure if this counts as criminal since someone did hand us (roll us) the keg.

Yeah, straight up calling shenanigans on this story. No college kid would turn down free beer of any kind.

Neither of us were in college. He was working in the area and I had graduated several years before this.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Neither of us were in college. He was working in the area and I had graduated several years before this.
    Ah, this is relevant information that brings the story together.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We carried that thing half a mile back to my bro's place and took all the bottom shelves out of the fridge to fit it in. Turns out is was some crappy light beer, Miller Light I think so we never tapped it and ended up going to the liquor store anyways.

I think the real crime here is you calling miller light crappy beer.

Because "crappy" isn't strong enough a term for that vile filth?

Probably have a ton of stories like this from working in a gas station from the time I graduated high school until almost graduating college, but here's a fun one about employee theft.

It was a Saturday and I had to do the daily sales report for the previous day's business. The lottery count for instant tickets was roughly 300 dollar short. I did the count roughly 3 or 4 times to verify. On our shift tracking sheets you were supposed to write down the last 3 digits of all the books at the start and end of your shift. This was mostly to cover your own ass. We could look at your counts versus what the register said you sold. If it was on, you were golden, if it was off, you were screwed. Well, third shift didn't do beginning or end counts. Everyone else was spot on. I then got to spend nearly the rest of my shift watching the CCTV tape from the previous night, and sure enough, dude was scratching off instant lottery tickets without paying for them. 300 bucks worth and thought he wouldn't get caught. Called the store manager and he told me to call the dude up and fire him and that I'd have to then work third shift that night and my scheduled shift Sunday morning. (FML?)

I think the most interesting theft was this older couple that were going to all of our stores in an older car with plates that didn't belong on that car and stealing a lot of cigarettes. They came in once when I was working and I heard the cigarette case door open and saw the dude standing there stuffing the carton of cigarettes in his pants. At the time I was cashing out a winning lottery ticket for the woman he was with. I promptly told them to get out of the store and not to ever come back. The woman threatened to call the cops if I didn't give her the lottery winnings. I began to call the cops for her and they left. Next time they came in when I was working the opened the door, saw I was there and left.

I hate theives. I had to fire so many of them while working there though. I don't gather how people thought they could get away with some of the stuff they did.

Funny story that is still mostly on topic. I quit after the manager changed the schedule without consulting me so that I was scheduled to work on a day I planned to study for a mid-term and the mid-term was the same day. This was my only day off in about 2 weeks in either direction. About a month after I quit I received a phone call from safety and security asking if I was still the Assistant Manger of the store. I laughed and said no. Apparently they couldn't get a hold of anyone responsible for the store as they had my number and the number of the person who hadn't managed the store in over a year.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You guys are freaking me out with these stories and now I feel like I need to buy some kind of alarm system for my home and carry a tazer.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You guys are freaking me out with these stories and now I feel like I need to buy some kind of alarm system for my home and carry a tazer.

Thousands of people browse these forums, and this thread self-selects those that have crime stories. Don't be silly. :P

admanb on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

This is an excellent idea. your safety is your responsibility. Court cases have proved time and again that the police have no obligation to protect you.

I keep a loaded gun on every floor of my house (basement, first and second floors) and carry a knife or tazer wherever I go.

Except airports, fucking commie TSA bastards.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    evilintentevilintent Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

This is an excellent idea. your safety is your responsibility. Court cases have proved time and again that the police have no obligation to protect you.

I keep a loaded gun on every floor of my house (basement, first and second floors) and carry a knife or tazer wherever I go.

Except airports, fucking commie TSA bastards.

[reversepsych]

Try not to fall down the steps and stab yourself in the neck.

[/reversepsych]

evilintent on
    6a00d83451c45669e2011571303907970b-.jpg
  • Options
    JuiceJuice Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My step brother is a drug addict, he was clean for 2 years living with my father and I. When he relapsed he stole every thing I owned, baiscly my entire room was cleared out.

He sold it all for $600 (Australian) worth of Ice (the drug), called the police did the normal thing you supposed too. We knew it was him we knew he did it, we knew who he called to come over and load every thing into a van (we have a VoIP phone and it logs all calls) and we knew where they lived.

So we tell this all to the police, two weeks later their raid the property we told them the stuff was at, they gather whats left of my computer which as been ripped apart and sold off and some other things.

No convictions no body arrested because it was a legal transaction, he lived in the house and it was my word againts his about ownership of properity. So insurance didnt cover it either.

The annoying thing about crime is that its very very easy to do, but retaliation never ends well. We could have easly gone over with weapons and caused issues and tryed to get my shit back, but it always escilates to a point you don't want. As proven in past exploits of:

They kick in our front door.
    We burn down their drug shed.
    They put bullets through out front windows.

People suck.

Juice on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jesus, Juice... My condolences man.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    We carried that thing half a mile back to my bro's place and took all the bottom shelves out of the fridge to fit it in. Turns out is was some crappy light beer, Miller Light I think so we never tapped it and ended up going to the liquor store anyways.

Probably have a ton of stories like this from working in a gas station from the time I graduated high school until almost graduating college, but here's a fun one about employee theft.

It was a Saturday and I had to do the daily sales report for the previous day's business. The lottery count for instant tickets was roughly 300 dollar short. I did the count roughly 3 or 4 times to verify. On our shift tracking sheets you were supposed to write down the last 3 digits of all the books at the start and end of your shift. This was mostly to cover your own ass. We could look at your counts versus what the register said you sold. If it was on, you were golden, if it was off, you were screwed. Well, third shift didn't do beginning or end counts. Everyone else was spot on. I then got to spend nearly the rest of my shift watching the CCTV tape from the previous night, and sure enough, dude was scratching off instant lottery tickets without paying for them. 300 bucks worth and thought he wouldn't get caught. Called the store manager and he told me to call the dude up and fire him and that I'd have to then work third shift that night and my scheduled shift Sunday morning. (FML?)

I think the most interesting theft was this older couple that were going to all of our stores in an older car with plates that didn't belong on that car and stealing a lot of cigarettes. They came in once when I was working and I heard the cigarette case door open and saw the dude standing there stuffing the carton of cigarettes in his pants. At the time I was cashing out a winning lottery ticket for the woman he was with. I promptly told them to get out of the store and not to ever come back. The woman threatened to call the cops if I didn't give her the lottery winnings. I began to call the cops for her and they left. Next time they came in when I was working the opened the door, saw I was there and left.

I hate theives. I had to fire so many of them while working there though. I don't gather how people thought they could get away with some of the stuff they did.

Funny story that is still mostly on topic. I quit after the manager changed the schedule without consulting me so that I was scheduled to work on a day I planned to study for a mid-term and the mid-term was the same day. This was my only day off in about 2 weeks in either direction. About a month after I quit I received a phone call from safety and security asking if I was still the Assistant Manger of the store. I laughed and said no. Apparently they couldn't get a hold of anyone responsible for the store as they had my number and the number of the person who hadn't managed the store in over a year.

Any Chance you were a Certified Assistant Manager for a 7-Eleven? Sounds a hell of a lot like my job on the weekends or when the FC decides that my boss needs to spend a week doing her damn job, but not allowing us any changes in the labour to cover him.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Anyone who hates on Miller Lite is just a beer snob for beer snobbery's sake, considering:
    Miller Lite won the World Beer Cup's gold medal for Best American-Style Light Lager in 1996, 1998, 2002, and 2006. It also won the Great American Beer Festival's silver medal in 2003 in the same category.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Anyone who hates on Miller Lite is just a beer snob for beer snobbery's sake, considering:
    Miller Lite won the World Beer Cup's gold medal for Best American-Style Light Lager in 1996, 1998, 2002, and 2006. It also won the Great American Beer Festival's silver medal in 2003 in the same category.

Or they just have a problem with that.

admanb on
  • Options
    Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here’s another employee theft story (kinda long-ish):

Me and most of my friends worked at a major supermarket for years and years. This is the story of one of those friends - Philip. We’ve called him Phildo for as long as I can remember. Not really sure why. I think because it rhymes with dildo.

Mike and Phildo were tired of slummin’ with hourly wages and living with their parents. So, both of them planned to go into management for the fat cash. In order to have a chance in hell of being promoted Phil had to transfer to a new store (and continue working the customer service counter). Now these two friends were quite close and were in the middle of planning to move in together.

I think they were going to buy a house or something. Anyway, Phildo had a jar of cash to help fund this venture of theirs which Mike kept on his desk. I don’t know why it was kept there, but nevertheless it had about $3000 in it.

Mike and Phil also went splits on a flat screen HDTV. I’m not sure why they decided to do this before moving in together.

So, the PS3 comes out and Phil has to have one! After a couple weeks of stalking EB Games, he acquires the console with games and accessories spending over $1000. Every few weeks Phildo would have a new game for this thing. It was odd, but when asked about it he’d tell us about how much money he won playing the lottery (cheap ass scratch-offs).

He didn’t win the fucking lottery. Or at least not as often as he had claimed.

On Mother’s Day his family is gathered at a fancy eatery when… the phone rings! It’s Phildo! He’s in jail! Charged with theft by taking. I’m not entirely sure how this was done. But he had devised a way to scan and void cans of baby formula and then pocket the cash. From what I understand if the customer service manager had even once checked the nightly reports; Phil would have been caught. Instead he was discovered by some loss prevention people at the corporate office. He had been doing this from October until the he was arrested in May of the following year. The total damage over time value was $17,000.
    Philip avoided jail time by going to gambling counseling and by paying back the stolen money (with his parent’s money).

For his white collar criminality, Phil earned a new nickname: Enron. While another friend of ours made a YTMND page out of Phil’s mugshot and a Snoop Dogg sound clip located here.

Some extra bit of info: By this time Mike is a customer service manager at another store. The company culture is such that people who work at different stores in the area probably know each other and have probably worked together at some point in time. The way this whole thing went down really put Mike in an awkward position.

TL;DR: Through some cash register trickery, my friend steals $17,000 over a period of eight months.

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

Best American-Style Light Lager is the beer world's version of Best Movie Written, Directed, and Starring a Bunch of Retarded People.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Best American-Style Light Lager is the beer world's version of Best Movie Written, Directed, and Starring Uwe Boll.

Arrath on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I went to art school for a year in Detroit. Great city to live in, aside from the crushing poverty, urban decay, and rampant crime. I witnessed a lot of shady stuff over that year, but these two stand out:

1. I was waiting in line for the ATM with friends. A dude walks up to the guy at the machine, pulls a gun, and says "give me all your money." ATM Dude turns, pulls his gun, and says "no." Cue the rest of us in line slowly backing away while these two start shouting and waving guns at each other. Eventually the would-be robber backed off, but damn. I proceeded to walk the few blocks to the secure ATM at the bank.

2. Drove down the street one afternoon for some Burger King. Pulled up to the speaker, and waited several minutes before the clerk said "sorry, can you wait a few minutes? We're being robbed." Eventually a dude ran down the street with what I presume was a bag of cash, and the BK girl was very happy when I offered to pay in ones and change for her till.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Best American-Style Light Lager is the beer world's version of Best Movie Written, Directed, and Starring a Bunch of Retarded People.
    And Animal House was hilarious.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mom2Kat wrote: »

Any Chance you were a Certified Assistant Manager for a 7-Eleven? Sounds a hell of a lot like my job on the weekends or when the FC decides that my boss needs to spend a week doing her damn job, but not allowing us any changes in the labour to cover him.

Nah, it was a Speedway.

And me hating on Miller Lite is because if I wanted to drink water with alcohol in it, I would.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone siphoned the gas out of my truck last night. Who the fuck still does that? Seriously.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So my brother is considering moving to Windsor, which is a Canadian city just across the border from Detroit.

He hasn't told the rest of my family about this yet, he's still in the planning stages.

Why would he want to move closer to Detroit, where the auto industry is imploding and the economy is falling apart?

Because when the job market goes down, the drug market goes up, and my brother is a drug dealer.

The rest of my family outside of my mom and I don't know of his profession, and so he's not sure exactly how he's going to explain why he wants to move to a city that is, by all reasonable measures, dying.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    So my brother is considering moving to Windsor, which is a Canadian city just across the border from Detroit.

He hasn't told the rest of my family about this yet, he's still in the planning stages.

Why would he want to move closer to Detroit, where the auto industry is imploding and the economy is falling apart?

Because when the job market goes down, the drug market goes up, and my brother is a drug dealer.

The rest of my family outside of my mom and I don't know of his profession, and so he's not sure exactly how he's going to explain why he wants to move to a city that is, by all reasonable measures, dying.

I dunno, I would much rather deal drugs to rich college kids then some homeless guy who would kill you for 5 dollars worth of crack.

TheStig on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

I dunno, I would much rather deal drugs to rich college kids then some homeless guy who would kill you for 5 dollars worth of crack.

Well, see, he makes decent coin right now because we live in a college town.

This town has two universities and a community college.

The average age of this city is somewhere in the 20's

But apparently there's a lot of money being made in Windsor, primarily by trafficking.

For him, the decision basically boils down to if he wants to "level up" from dealing drugs to college kids to outright becoming involved in a cartel.

I, obviously, am against the decision and have expressed this to him multiple times.

But, he's his own man and he'll make his own decisions.

Pony on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just move to Detroit instead. Couple months of dealing and saving and he could have multiple crack houses!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just move to Detroit instead. Couple minutes of dealing and saving and he could have his own high-rise!

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Someone siphoned the gas out of my truck last night. Who the fuck still does that? Seriously.
    A girl I work with had the catalytic converter cut off her Toyota pickup while it was parked on the street. Desperate times and all.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neighbors siphoned our tractors tank, KARMA kicked in when their engine died in the middle of the highway, because diesel and unleaded are two seperate things.

:D

EDIT:Apparently I am a horrible person for suggesting their death was a good thing. Shut up.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My friend's dad was a guy totally on edge. When I was young I pretty much didn't hang out at the house, but when I did we had to be really quiet or the dude would just explode. So, anyway, my friend's dad and his mom are separated, estranged, whatever you wanna call it. She's sleeping around with quite a few people, doing something funky with his money and the dude, I guess, just can't take it. He left his job early, walked into the gas station where she worked and shot her and her friend multiple times before turning the gun on himself.
    Funny thing was another dude I occasionally hung out with was banging her. He left town the next fucking day.

Also, apparently another friend's dad was recently arrested for plotting to kill two cops in New Jersey. According to my friend there's more to this story since his dad was, according to him, just gonna take the money and leave without killing anyone. But, whatever. The people who had hired him were the ones who turned him in. Crazy, huh? Plus, they're all family.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    A girl I work with had the catalytic converter cut off her Toyota pickup while it was parked on the street. Desperate times and all.

I heard about that happening a lot on the news a while back.
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Neighbors siphoned our tractors tank, KARMA kicked in when their engine died in the middle of the highway, because diesel and unleaded are two seperate things.

:D

EDIT:Apparently I am a horrible person for suggesting their death was a good thing. Shut up.

See this is how gas siphoning stories should go. "Something something, neighbor's kids, tractor, they got what was a comin" Not getting siphoned on the street in a city, that's just wrong and out of place.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What the hell, Richard?!

Also, I'm confused. Did the psycho dad shoot the mom and her colleague? Or did your friend shoot her?

evilintent on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    evilintent wrote: »
    What the hell, Richard?!

Also, I'm confused. Did the psycho dad shoot the mom and her colleague? Or did your friend shoot her?

The dad shot the mom and her friend. Sorry bout the confusion there.

Here's the article.

What's sad is the "scholarship" established for the woman's kids only applied to her kids from another marriage. It wasn't for my friend and his brother.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    evilintent wrote: »
    What the hell, Richard?!

The dad shot the mom and her friend. Sorry bout the confusion there.

Here's the article.

What's sad is the "scholarship" established for the woman's kids only applied to her kids from another marriage. It wasn't for my friend and his brother.

"scholarship" = trust fund?

And yeah, that sucks donkey testes.

evilintent on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, here's mine. Found it this morning while taking out the trash:

IMG_0595.jpg

I walked out one night and found a guy in my car (the back window could be pushed down), but never had anyone break out a window. Douchebags.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Had a friends sister visiting her cousin. She got there, went upstairs to let them know she was ready to go. Not five minutes go by as she literally just pops in, says "lets go" and they are off. She came back to a busted window with just her cds all over the place.

I had a car stereo stolen once back when I lived with my parents. I knew the majority of the guys that pulled this shit in my area so it wasnt hard to find out who did it. I went by his place with a few friends, he promptly returned the stereo and apologized.

A friend of mine had a family business in a pretty shady area of town for nearly 25 years. Through this time they became pretty well known for helping people out with a spare job and such. He would always bring home all kinds of stuff from the "Home Boy Network". Everything from new tennis shows to large flat panel HD TV's. Think his dad got a few cars as well.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For him, the decision basically boils down to if he wants to "level up" from dealing drugs to college kids to outright becoming involved in a cartel.
    Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, allow me to present to you, Exhibit A...

GungHo on