Options

Computer Build Thread: Now sublimating the desire for a 5850 into cheap builds!

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Excellent! I expect I will be able to figure out hard drive on my own. That leaves just the one question, are there any viable Nvidia graphics cards available? Thank you so much for your help by the way LLC, you have no idea how helpful this is.

Vic on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Welp, it looks like it's time for me to finally upgrade my ram.

So I'm running a Asus P5K-E with some Crucial Ballistix sticks that I ordered right before all that shit about them crapping out started to crop up (luckily mine've held out fine, but I need the extra space for futureproofing and system hogs like Stalker Clear Sky). Any suggestions on good 240-pin 1066ers for a 32-bit Vista system?

I've heard good things about G.Skill stuff, and this looks like it'll cover all my bases, but you dudes probably know a lot more about what's good and what's viable.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Excellent! I expect I will be able to figure out hard drive on my own. That leaves just the one question, are there any viable Nvidia graphics cards available? Thank you so much for your help by the way LLC, you have no idea how helpful this is.

In the US the GTX 260 is Nvidia's most competitive card at the moment. It's roughly comparable to a 4870 1GB card. But I don't know how much power you need to really do that 3D stuff right so you'll have to do some research.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Apparently the 5750 and 5770 should be announced/released on the 13th.

link

[edit]

So apparently ATI is trying to make all DX 10 cards obsolete:

juniper_specs_hd5770whvf.png

03.png

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What? Are those prices real? These are the new, ass-blasting DX11 cards, right? Why are they so cheap?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah these prices are ridiculous, I feel like most of the higher end 4xxx series broke the $200 mark...

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damnit, ATI! Stop usurping my decision-making process!

Edit: I heard the 5770 had a 128-bit memory interface. Not sure how that's going to affect it. I'm waiting for benchmarks.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fuck.

I want a new PC NOW.

But. 5 days. Hmm.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    OllibolliOllibolli Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hello MSTT people! I come humbly begging your assistance. It just so happens that I will be getting my hands on a spot of cash at the end of this month, and I have decided it is high time that I upgrade my old machine. It has served me well over the last four years with only a few upgrades, but I fear it is nearing the end of its life.

Now, on to the build. My intention is to build a machine that will last a long time. On one hand I don't really feel like I need to be on the cutting edge, but it would feel good to play a few games on high settings for the first time in years.

I will, being Swedish, purchase almost all of my components from a Swedish online shop, http://www.webhallen.com. While the webpage is in Swedish, it should be quite navigable even to non-swedish speakers and give a good idea of what the prices of different components will be. I expect that most components are available through there, but it is possible that some are not.

My intended budget is around 10 000 swedish crowns. This amounts to around 1400 dollars but with price differences will probably give me around 1000 dollars worth of computer. Considering my budget I looked at the sample builds for inspiration, and it should be noted here that I know jack shit about computer parts beyond the most basic numbers (higher ram is better, etc).

Initial build suggestion:

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2,66GHz / 8MB / 4,8GT/s Socket 1366 (Boxed) 2690 kr
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Socket 1366 - ATX Intel X58 (GA-EX58-UD3R) - DDR3 / PCI-E / SATA 2179 kr
    Graphics card: Asus ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB (EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5) 2075 kr
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case - Svart (Ej PSU) 1095 kr

Total of 8039 kr/10 000 kr

That leaves memory, Hard drive and Power supply. It also seems to have consumed almost all of my budget, though it wouldn't kill me to go 1000 kr over budget. Do you have any ideas on how to proceed, or slots where I could get a better bang for my buck/crown?

Sincerest thanks in advance for any help you may give!

Are you determined to buy from Webhallen? I checked the prices of the above list of items at komplett.se, turned out to 7528 kr. It might be worth it to shop around, there are several reputable online vendors to choose from. It probably makes sense to buy most of the parts from the same place to avoid multiple shipping costs, but it might be possible to save quite a bit by comparing prices.

If you are a student with a student account at dustinhome.se you'll get free shipping (and rebates on some items), might be worth checking out if you happen to find some cheap parts there.

I think that the i5-750 is a better choice than the i7-920 at the moment, but it seems you've already been made aware of this.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I have returned an mp3-player that broke a year or so after I bought it to Webhallen without problems, got a complete refund. So I don't have anything against them in particular. I've also returned a mouse twice to Komplett (Intellimouse Explorer that seemed to break once a year), in my experience their customer service is excellent as well.

Ollibolli on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Damnit, ATI! Stop usurping my decision-making process!

Edit: I heard the 5770 had a 128-bit memory interface. Not sure how that's going to affect it. I'm waiting for benchmarks.

Yeah, it should be interesting. Basically looks to be a DX 11 4890 but with the 4770's memory bus. Anyway if you weren't planning on getting a 58XX it seems like waiting for these to launch would be a good idea.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    According to this source the 5770 is slightly slower than the 4890 and GTX 260, however, it is a full DX11 part and should run much cooler (and quieter?) than the aforementioned cards.

Seems like a good option if you want to get something cheaper than a 5850.

Edit: This article claims 5770 performance equal to the 4890, and 5750 performance equal to the 4870.

Ollibolli on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Alright, so how do "card launches" work?

Do these show up on Newegg on Oct. 13, or is it some kinda thing where it gets released on the 13th, but still two weeks after that until it shows up on places like Newegg?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well then. Looks like one of the 5700s for me.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shit yes, 5700 series here I come. Daddy needs a new set of phong-shaded SSAO-enhanced DX11 shoes.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Alright, so how do "card launches" work?

Do these show up on Newegg on Oct. 13, or is it some kinda thing where it gets released on the 13th, but still two weeks after that until it shows up on places like Newegg?

I believe ATi are pretty good at doing hard launches, however, initial shipments of new cards tend to be pretty small, which means they usually sell out pretty quickly. Being a mainstream part, it is likely that the shipments for the 5700 series will be larger than for the 5870 and 5850, which means that they should be easier to get hold of right after launch.

So yes, I do believe it should be possible to get one on launch day.

Ollibolli on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God dammit. So now do I need another new build? I just want a computer...

Also, DX11? I didn't even play anything with DX10....

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dragging up an answer from last page in the light of the new DX11 cards.

In the US the GTX 260 is Nvidia's most competitive card at the moment. It's roughly comparable to a 4870 1GB card. But I don't know how much power you need to really do that 3D stuff right so you'll have to do some research.

Are the nVidia cards truly obsolete with these new cards, bang-for-buck-wise?

Secondly, an issue a friend of mine brought up on the matter of me buying a new computer. It would seem quite desirable for me to get windows 7 for my new computer but it only just launches around the time when I am supposed buy it here in Sweden, it seems.. Should I be worried about buying a new Microsoft OS right at launch?

Vic on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Peeps have been running Win7 for months now, and it's a damn solid system even during beta (let alone retail). That whole "wait until the first service pack before buying a Microsoft OS" doesn't apply with it. Or if you want, think of it as Vista with Service Pack Awesome.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question for anyone with an i7, is the Dark Knight Cooler any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.235111

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    God dammit. So now do I need another new build? I just want a computer...

Also, DX11? I didn't even play anything with DX10....

Yeah, the DX11 part is probably more about future proofing than anything else, it's the price/performance/heat combination that makes the new cards attractive.

Vic: I would definately wait until October 22nd so that you can get Win7 for your new computer (Edit: Unless you already own a copy of Vista or something). The NVidia cards are indeed obsolete at current price points if the info we have on the 5700-series cards is correct, however, I expect price cuts from NVidia on their existing cards. They don't have anything new to launch until Q1 or Q2 2010, so they have to cut prices to stay competitive. When these price cuts occur, and how long it will take until we notice them in Sweden is hard to guess though...

Ollibolli on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Welp, I've ordered everything on my list (except I used 'cook's combo for some of it), plus a couple of other little things.

I'll report back with great success before too long, hopefully.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    McVikingMcViking Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm looking at building a new system. I'm currently rocking with a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 that is starting to show its age. My boundaries are as follows:

* I work at home, so this is my office computer, my gaming computer, my home theater, and my home recording studio. Between work and play, I'll be sitting at this thing for 50-60 hours a week, so I don't mind spending some money to make a quality system that will be upgradeable as new shiny components come along. So, for example, I'm not so worried about waiting around for a DX11 video card as long as I can add one in a year when they're more affordable and there are games that support it.

* I don't really have a cost ceiling; I want a quality system. Obviously, I don't want to pay more for worse components, but I will pay more for better components.

* My gaming can best be described as "casual", but I do like the shinies when I game, and I can afford them.

* I'm a dual-booter, and spend my entire workday in Linux. The windows partition is for gaming and sound recording only. Historically, I've liked the NVidia Linux drivers better than the ATI drivers, but it's been a few years since I've explored that, and the terrain may have changed.

* About the sound recording -- I already have a PCI Audigy 2 card with a front input bay that I like, and will move into this system. I don't see much reason to replace it, unless anybody knows otherwise.

* I've got a pair of BIOS-RAIDed SATA drives in the current system that I'll also plan on moving over. The HD in this build is for data backup.

* I've got a PCI TV-tuner card that I could move over or not; I hardly ever use it, and when I do, it's only to watch VHS cassettes. So if I run out of PCI slots, I won't cry about it.

Other caveat is that this is the first brand-new system that I've built in over five years, and I don't feel like I've really kept up with current hardware. So if this build is insane/stupid, I don't mind hearing about it :) So, without further ado:

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Retail
    EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
    Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor - Retail
    PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD Writer Black SATA Model PX-880SA LightScribe Support - OEM

Subtotal: $1,459.91

Comments?

McViking on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well I wouldn't buy an i7 over an i5 unless I had a specific need for an application that I knew ran faster with hyper-threading. Really if you can even stand to use a P4 than an i5 is going to be beautifully fast in comparison.

I'm still not really down with $200+ motherboards with 4 PCI-E slots.

A 9800 GTX+ is the same thing as a GTS250 which is in the lowest tier of cards actually suitable for gaming. For a 28" monitor I'm not sure it's the best idea. A GTX 260 would be a better bet, IMO.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dammit. Every time I think I have it all settled, something else pops up in my head that sends my plans all tumbling down. I can't believe this didn't occur to me until now. Would it be possible to simply reuse my old Dell Dimension 4600 case?

I can only assume it is...but I'm not sure how advisable that is.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dammit. Every time I think I have it all settled, something else pops up in my head that sends my plans all tumbling down. I can't believe this didn't occur to me until now. Would it be possible to simply reuse my old Dell Dimension 4600 case?

Do you know if it's an ATX motherboard in there now?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Do you know if it's an ATX motherboard in there now?

E210882. I think it is.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well I wouldn't buy an i7 over an i5 unless I had a specific need for an application that I knew ran faster with hyper-threading. Really if you can even stand to use a P4 than an i5 is going to be beautifully fast in comparison.

I'm still not really down with $200+ motherboards with 4 PCI-E slots.

A 9800 GTX+ is the same thing as a GTS250 which is in the lowest tier of cards actually suitable for gaming. For a 28" monitor I'm not sure it's the best idea. A GTX 260 would be a better bet, IMO.

since that monitor is 1920 x 1200, i'd swap out the i7 for an i5 and use the money saved and get a 5850

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hi thread!

I'm finally thinking of upgrading my two year old rig. My current bottle neck is my graphics card, but I have a feeling that if I go top of the range (or as top as my budget will allow for), then that dubious title will fall back upon my processor. I've tried my google-fu, but I'm getting mixed answers on the subject.

I'm currently rocking:

ABit AW9D-Max mobo
    Intel core 2 6600 2.4GHZ
    3GB RAM @ 800MHZ
    GeForce 7950
    I think my PSU is 500W or below, so this will definitely need upgrading with the GFX.

I've got a budget of about £250 to get the PSU and GFX, but I'm open to stretching that a bit. I just don't want to waste money on the graphics card only to find out my system can't even utilise it properly. Anyone know much about bottlenecking or can point me to somewhere that does?

Campy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Campy: Let's wait to see what the pricing of 57XX cards are in the UK. In the meantime, try to find out the details of your PSU, there is a very good chance you can keep using it.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The 5770 is supposed to be out this week right? I think I'd rather hold off buying my parts until it comes out and buy that instead of the 4870.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So back in budget-world, where we shun discussions of the ATi 5xxx range; am I correct in assuming that all iterations of the 4850 are more powerful than any 4670? I ask because I've found a deal for a 4850 at about £65, down from £80, whereas I had planned to spend £50 on a 4670 to tide me over for a few months.

The 4850 in question is a XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 "XXX Edition" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI. I could try and snatch that up if it's worth it, or just spend about £53 on an Asus 4670 1GB. I will not be gaming at massive resolutions, but I am hoping to play some nice-looking titles (Fallout 3, Empire: TW, Dragon Age) at settings that are pleasing to the eye.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aren't the 57xx series in budget range?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    5770 is supposed to be at or just below the 4890 in performance with a price of $159

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So back in budget-world, where we shun discussions of the ATi 5xxx range; am I correct in assuming that all iterations of the 4850 are more powerful than any 4670? I ask because I've found a deal for a 4850 at about £65, down from £80, whereas I had planned to spend £50 on a 4670 to tide me over for a few months.

The 4850 in question is a XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 "XXX Edition" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI. I could try and snatch that up if it's worth it, or just spend about £53 on an Asus 4670 1GB. I will not be gaming at massive resolutions, but I am hoping to play some nice-looking titles (Fallout 3, Empire: TW, Dragon Age) at settings that are pleasing to the eye.

A 4850 should be significantly faster than any 4670. Also draws more power etc. if that concerns you.

Ollibolli on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I posted a while back about my new (and first!) computer build. I've spent some time looking around, replaced the motherboard but otherwise the list is still pretty much the same.

Antec 300
    Corsair TX750W
    Asus P7P55D
    i5-750
    Corsair Dominator PC3-12800, 1600MHz, CL8
    Asus GTX275, 896MB

I've heard the Antec 300 is a quite small mid-tower, but it is very cheap and looks cool. So I hope the parts will fit.

The PSU is on the excessive side I think, it's on sale though and is cheaper than the 500W and 650W versions. This'll hopefully give me some room to upgrade should I want to.

This will be a work & gaming computer. I'm going with a Nvidia card because I now have it confirmed that their drivers have better support for certain applications I use for work stuff. Would probably have gone with an ATI card if this were to be a dedicated gaming machine.

For a hard drive I'll either butcher my external drive which I know contains a Caviar Green, or just pick one up at the store - they're pretty cheap regardless of size nowadays.

The DVD drive will be moved over from my current computer.

Any feedback, corrections before I order this beauty? :)

e: Video card is also on sale, though not by much - it's maybe $20 or so cheaper than GTX275 cards from other manufacturers.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Honk, unless you are really set on a NVidia card, you might want to wait 2 days before ordering. In any case prices of DX10 cards are probably going to have to come down after the 57XX cards launch.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Is that in two days?

In that case I may go ahead and order the rest but wait a while for the video card. That'll actually work out nicely because the store I'm ordering from usually has video cards in stock but some/most of the other stuff is only for ordering. Delivery could take up to a week for that stuff, so that'll be good. Thanks for the heads up!

Also thank you, and this thread, very much for being great!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    darn. I really wanted to get this EVGA 260 GTX Superclocked 216 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

to replace my aging 8800 GTX. I guess I should wait, then? Until maybe December?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys, i'm looking to upgrade my parent's older computer- but i'm having a lot of trouble finding a reliable dealer for a few of the parts.

1. Which parts, if any, will significantly increase performance to the machine?

2. Is it more cost effective to start from scratch? (new mobo)

3. Where can I get older parts without getting scammed?

Details:

KT-600 motherboard (462 socket)
    supports: Athlon XP processors, ?
    current processor: Athlon XP 2600+

Compatible ram: DDR SDRAM 266,333,400mhz. Up to 2gb of the 400mhz, 4gb of slower ram
    Current ram: 512mb of DDR 333mhz

Compatible Video Cards: ? It has an 8x AGP slot, are there any of these cards that can do shader model 2.0?
    Current video card: Radeon 7000 series

I'm looking to keep it under $200 for upgrades, but upgrading to 2gb ram is already at about $90 at the local shop.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.