Options

Computer Build Thread: Now sublimating the desire for a 5850 into cheap builds!

• Options
    MazloMazlo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hrm.

So maybe a monitor upgrade is in order... In the meantime, I've got an "old" (barely used) ViewSonic E90f+ 19" behemoth CRT that does 1600x1200 so maybe that can tide me over til I can get a better monitor.

Maybe something like Acer X233Hbid 23" ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009163 )

Or maybe forget the budget and get the monitor now anyways. Hmm.

-Mazlo

Mazlo on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a slightly older version of that monitor and its pretty good. Course I spent $100 more 2 years ago but thats how it goes.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How does an IDE optical drive compare to a SATA one?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey,
    I was just curious and figured Id ask for a recommendation for a PC that Im planning on building soon but won't require "cutting-edge" performance

* What is your total budget? - As cheap as possible; 500-700$
    * What has to be included in that budget? Just an upgrade, just the computer itself or a computer with monitor, mouse and keyboard? Do you have parts from your old computer that you can use?
    I have various peripherals I plan on reusing here that I will keep using. It's mainly the computer itself (The case with internals; NO dvd drivers)

* Is this computer just for gaming and casual computer use or do you have other computationally intensive tasks in mind?
    I want a PC that won't chug when using Zune/new software and can beautifully play valve games (L4D, HLF2). I realistically don't plan on ever playing new games because I don't have the time; but I would really love to be able to play L4D/TF2 with great settings and no chugging.

* What resolution to you plan on gaming at?
    1600 x 900
    * Do you feel the need for cutting edge performance in the most demanding games (*cough* Crysis) or is good performance in most games and "good enough" performance in the most demanding games? Any particular games or upcoming games you care about?
    No, I don't plan on cutting edge performance. I just want the minimum to run games like L4D on settings that would make me drop my jaw. I currently have a AGP (yes, AGP) 6800 GT by nvidia with old ass configurations that I plan on using as PC to hook up to my TV(but that's besides the point) and would like a new computer to replace as my primary PC.
    * Are you biased towards either ATI/NVidia or Intel/AMD? Never had an ATI card, but I won't be an idiot. If the market says ATI is the best, I'll go ATI. Likewise for Intel/AMD. Currently running an AMD processor and have no real preferential bias.
    * How long do you want this computer to last?
    I built this current PC in 2006 and have enjoyed it and never had any real problems for running basic programs. I had a mid-high tier PC (right between mid and high) that has served me really well (3+ years) and that's what I expect for BASIC computation. I need a new motherboard that supports PCI cards and has slots to upgrade RAM beyond 2 gigs. I would like to keep it for at least 2 years and I think I will. I built my last PC at the wrong time, imo, what with the switch from AGP to PCI vid cards and etc. So I'm hoping that if I build this new PC, I won't be short-changed.
    * How important is being able to upgrade your computer at a later time?
    Not terribly. I want a new PC, but don't really NEED one, and only want one if I can keep it running happily for another 3 years.

Basically, a mid-tier PC with a vid card/etc combo that will make TF2/L4D look beautiful and can handle new software like Zune easily. (My PC chugs a bit when running Zune and I would enjoy not having that dilemma)

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »

SATA drives allow for a faster data transfer. It can be more stable as well since it's only one drive per port/cable.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, but I don't think extra bandwidth is going to matter for a disc drive.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Hey,
    I was just curious and figured Id ask for a recommendation for a PC that Im planning on building soon but won't require "cutting-edge" performance.
    * What has to be included in that budget? Just an upgrade, just the computer itself or a computer with monitor, mouse and keyboard? Do you have parts from your old computer that you can use?
    I have various peripherals I plan on reusing here that I will keep using. It's mainly the computer itself (The case with internals; NO dvd drivers)

* Is this computer just for gaming and casual computer use or do you have other computationally intensive tasks in mind?
    I want a PC that won't chug when using Zune/new software and can beautifully play valve games (L4D, HLF2). I realistically don't plan on ever playing new games because I don't have the time; but I would really love to be able to play L4D/TF2 with great settings and no chugging.

1600 x 900
    * Do you feel the need for cutting edge performance in the most demanding games (*cough* Crysis) or is good performance in most games and "good enough" performance in the most demanding games? Any particular games or upcoming games you care about?
    No, I don't plan on cutting edge performance. I just want the minimum to run games like L4D on settings that would make me drop my jaw. I currently have a AGP (yes, AGP) 6800 GT by nvidia with old ass configurations that I plan on using as PC to hook up to my TV(but that's besides the point) and would like a new computer to replace as my primary PC.
    * Are you biased towards either ATI/NVidia or Intel/AMD? Never had an ATI card, but I won't be an idiot. If the market says ATI is the best, I'll go ATI. Likewise for Intel/AMD. Currently running an AMD processor and have no real preferential bias.
    I built this current PC in 2006 and have enjoyed it and never had any real problems for running basic programs. I had a mid-high tier PC (right between mid and high) that has served me really well (3+ years) and that's what I expect for BASIC computation. I need a new motherboard that supports PCI cards and has slots to upgrade RAM beyond 2 gigs. I would like to keep it for at least 2 years and I think I will. I built my last PC at the wrong time, imo, what with the switch from AGP to PCI vid cards and etc. So I'm hoping that if I build this new PC, I won't be short-changed.
    Not terribly. I want a new PC, but don't really NEED one, and only want one if I can keep it running happily for another 3 years.

Basically, a mid-tier PC with a vid card/etc combo that will make TF2/L4D look beautiful and can handle new software like Zune easily. (My PC chugs a bit when running Zune and I would enjoy not having that dilemma)

I would recommend a Core i5 rig, I'm assuming you're going to reuse a case.

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX & Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core $299.98

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) <- Updated

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA $74.99

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 & Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W 80 PLUS Certified $209.98

Shipping $0, Grand Total: $669.94

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    * What is your total budget?
    I am willing to spend up to 1k.
    * What has to be included in that budget?
    Mouse, keyboard and monitor I can re-use. I would like to upgrade to a bigger monitor if budget allows, however. I'm knowledgeable enough on displays to where I'm confident figuring that out on my own, though.
    I don't game very heavily on the PC, though I'm looking forward to APB and would like it to run pretty and smooth. My bigger concern is that I'd like to be able to have high quality options for recording music and the subsequent playback. My old Dell just never had a good audio setup or very good gaming performance, and it's showing its age with casual use now as well.
    My current monitor supports 1600x1000, which my Xbox 360 plays in, though with my old video card I just let the computer run at 1440x900 and I'm fine with that.
    * Do you feel the need for cutting edge performance in the most demanding games or is good performance in most games and "good enough" performance in the most demanding games? Any particular games or upcoming games you care about?
    For the most part I'm not terribly concerned with the most cutting edge stuff. It's always nice if I can max out settings, but not pay-a-huge-premium nice. But as mentioned, APB is my planned PC purchase that's coming up, and I'd like to be able to have draw distance, graphics, and performance all fairly high. I don't see a need to plan my machine to run the max settings on games that are coming out years from now without upgrading.
    I don't even really know what the "average" lifespan for a computer is. I had this one since 2002, but I couldn't even run the Sims 2 without chugging on low settings when it came out. I suppose I would like to be able to run games that come out in the next couple years at remotely decent settings.
    It's another one of those things I've never put a lot of thought into. I upgraded RAM and the videocard in this PC about halfway through it's lifespan, but ideally this new PC would be starting out at a higher relative bar than my current one so perhaps that's not as big a deal.

Appreciate any guidance with what I should be looking for.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have a memory upgrade question and I figured i'd put it in here. I'd like to upgrade my computer memory to 4gb since i'm running Windows 7 64bit. It's currently 2gb.

The ram i'm currently using is this type:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-058-GL

This is on a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (1066FSB) as a processor. I'm useless when it comes to calculations, so i'm wondering if someone could advise me as to what RAM I should be looking at or indeed buy as an upgrade!?

Thanks.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    I have a memory upgrade question and I figured i'd put it in here. I'd like to upgrade my computer memory to 4gb since i'm running Windows 7 64bit. It's currently 2gb.

This is on a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (1066FSB) as a processor. I'm useless when it comes to calculations, so i'm wondering if someone could advise me as to what RAM I should be looking at or indeed buy as an upgrade!?

Thanks.

If that's the RAM you're using just get that. Assuming you have 2 open DIMM's. Though, I have no idea if GeIL is any good or utter crap.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Thanks.

If that's the RAM you're using just get that. Assuming you have 2 open DIMM's. Though, I have no idea if GeIL is any good or utter crap.

Pretty good I think (well...i'd hope. I built my computer!)

WMain00 on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey,
    I was just curious and figured Id ask for a recommendation for a PC that Im planning on building soon but won't require "cutting-edge" performance.

1600 x 900

I would a Core i5 rig, I'm assumeing you're going to reuse a case.

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX & Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core $299.98

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) $79.99

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 & Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W 80 PLUS Certified $209.98

Shipping $0, Grand Total: $664.94

He'll need DDR3 memory though. Maybe this?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey,

1600 x 900

I would a Core i5 rig, I'm assumeing you're going to reuse a case.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) $79.99

Shipping $0, Grand Total: $664.94

The case is up to debate. If I was ever going to reuse my old components as a backup PC, then no. But for the meantime, it's a safe bet that I would reuse the case. Thanks for the find and help

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, my old computer died after a good 5 years and I'm finally gonna make the jump into buying a new one instead of camping my wife's computer all day. Problem is, I've been pretty damn out of the loop for a while when it comes to computer tech (quad core? Last I payed attention dual core was the "next big thing!") and have found myself...lost when searching around Newegg. I know computers in the fundamental sense (I focused on programming in school for a handful of years though that was a while back and know how to build and maintain a computer) but am not up to date with what I should be looking at.

I'm looking at a $600ish budget with less being ideal and am not too focused on omgawd-powar, just enough to play Champions online without looking like ass is plenty for me. Have a preference for AMD/ATI. All in all I want to know what would be a good place to start at (good range mobo/cpu/gpu to meet those sorta guidelines)?

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Thanks.

That is good memory, but I'll suggest this. Since that memory you recommend doesn't have free shipping it will add somewhere around another $6 to the cost. So I figure just spend a few more dollars and get better memory. Plus the one I picked out should match the mobo nicely in looks.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Thanks.

That is good memory, but I'll suggest this. Since that memory you recommend doesn't have free shipping it will add somewhere around another $6 to the cost. So I figure just spend a few more dollars and get better memory. Plus the one I picked out should match the mobo nicely in looks.

I think the ones you just quoted me are above and beyond my chipset.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I'm looking at purchasing this processor and this motherboard, would that RAM work well for me Shroud?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Typhus733 wrote: »
    So, my old computer died after a good 5 years and I'm finally gonna make the jump into buying a new one instead of camping my wife's computer all day. Problem is, I've been pretty damn out of the loop for a while when it comes to computer tech (quad core? Last I payed attention dual core was the "next big thing!") and have found myself...lost when searching around Newegg. I know computers in the fundamental sense (I focused on programming in school for a handful of years though that was a while back and know how to build and maintain a computer) but am not up to date with what I should be looking at.

I'm looking at a $600ish budget with less being ideal and am not too focused on omgawd-powar, just enough to play Champions online without looking like ass is plenty for me. Have a preference for AMD/ATI. All in all I want to know what would be a good place to start at (good range mobo/cpu/gpu to meet those sorta guidelines)?

Well this is what I'm working on for the budget build now:

AMD Phenom II X2 3.0 Ghz + motherboard
    Asus 5750 1GB video card
    400W Corsair PSU
    Raidmax case
    4GB DDR2 memory
    750 GB WD Green HD
    DVD drive
    Total $538 - $20 MiR = $518

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TrippyJing wrote: »

SATA drives allow for a faster data transfer. It can be more stable as well since it's only one drive per port/cable.
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Yeah, but I don't think extra bandwidth is going to matter for a disc drive.

Well, then which one is it? If I don't get a SATA, that's $30 (barring combos) toward something else!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, two things remain uncertain about my build.

First of all: the 5850 is seriously this fucking annoying to purchase, right? I'm not hallucinating? I've never had this much trouble figuring out if I could buy a new product ever. Is there another card that's equally good but available right now?

Second: I know I should hunt down combo deals, but oddly I keep finding ones that seem to cost $50 more for the same products I'm getting. I mean, my processor/mobo are $310 together, but $375 in a combo? That seems wrong to me.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Thanks.

I think the ones you just quoted me are above and beyond my chipset.

:oops: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First of all: the 5850 is seriously this fucking annoying to purchase, right? I'm not hallucinating? I've never had this much trouble figuring out if I could buy a new product ever. Is there another card that's equally good but available right now?

According to... uh, this thread, I think... the 4870 or 4890 are comparable, if not better, performance-wise. They just don't do DX11, which you probably won't even have to worry about for two or three years. And they use more juice.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    YontouryuYontouryu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Any Canadians in this thread ever order from BestDirect.ca, and if so, good or bad? Asking because they list the Cooler Master HAF 922 for $101 with $9 shipping "Promo Shipping" (from BC to ON no less!), which seems too good to be true.

Yontouryu on
    a3968.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Seeks wrote: »

According to... uh, this thread, I think... the 4870 or 4890 are comparable, if not better, performance-wise. They just don't do DX11, which you probably won't even have to worry about for two or three years. And they use more juice.

Uh no the 4870 & 4890 are not better than a 5850. The 5850 also drops to very low power usage when idle or very low usage. It should be around 27 watts.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Uh no the 4870 & 4890 are not better than a 5850. The 5850 also drops to very low power usage when idle or very low usage. It should be around 27 watts.
    Neither of those statements really connect to what Seeks actually said.

What about the 4850? The 4870 and 4890 are both only about $20-30 cheaper than the 5850, which seems a bit pricey. The 4850 is about half price.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

What about the 4850? The 4870 and 4890 are both only about $20-30 cheaper than the 5850, which seems a bit pricey. The 4850 is about half price.

Other than Dark Shroud, are you guys thinking of the 5770? Because the 5850 is a good amount faster than the 4890/4870. It's also a good amount more expensive.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Now we have Athlon II X3s. Also some low power Athlons.

Read about it on anandtech.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    bobmyknob wrote: »

Other than Dark Shroud, are you guys thinking of the 5770? Because the 5850 is a good amount faster than the 4890/4870. It's also a good amount more expensive.

Nope. The 5850 is what I was looking at. Now I'm also looking for alternate cards (not necessarily as good, but if they're not at least cheaper) because of how annoying it is to actually buy a 5850. And I'm incredibly confused about what the other options are.

Edit: Okay, the 5770? It's a little slower on that benchmark, but it's also $100 cheaper and available right now.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I might be. I'm thinking of whatever the new ATI cards that just came out are called. DX11 ones, around $150.

I fully acknowledge that I could be 100% wrong, though.

...off topic a bit, will I lose speeds over an ethernet cord that's 20' or 30'? I know some AV cables have problems over longish distances, so I figured I'd ask. Also, how much do such cords usually cost?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've thought about picking up the 5770, mainly because it's almost as fast as the 4870/4890, but uses way less power and runs cooler. But yeah, if you're looking for more performance the 4970/4890 can still surpass the 5770. Until AMD releases something in between the 5770 and the 5850, there's not much else to choose though.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've thought about picking up the 5770, mainly because it's almost as fast as the 4870/4890, but uses way less power and runs cooler. But yeah, if you're looking for more performance the 4970/4890 can still surpass the 5770. Until AMD releases something in between the 5770 and the 5850, there's not much else to choose though.

Actually if the 5770 had a 256bit memory bus it would kill the 4870/4890. There is differing thought as to why it's only 128bit and priced where it's at. Some people do think a 256bit version will be released at a higher price point. Personally I want either a 2gig 5870 or a 5870 x2 one or both should be coming out within the next month.

And yes there are 5870s in stock at Newegg at this point in time.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I was working on a new bang for the buck build. On the one hand I can put together a nice computer with a 5770 for less than $600, but on the other, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be better to have a PSU that could handle 2 PCI-E GPUs for future upgrades.

Any thoughts?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I was working on a new bang for the buck build. On the one hand I can put together a nice computer with a 5770 for less than $600, but on the other, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be better to have a PSU that could handle 2 PCI-E GPUs for future upgrades.

Any thoughts?

Get a single 5770 now and a PSU that can handle a second later?

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    OllibolliOllibolli Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd pick a PSU suitable for one high-end GPU. "Upgrading" by adding another GPU is not cost effective in my opinion, better to replace the existing GPU with a new, more powerful one down the road rather than going SLI/Crossfire.

Ollibolli on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bah!

I tried to order my PC yesterday, grabbing the last 5870 in stock off ebuyer.

Naturally, my bank dicked me about with the billing address/delivery address, and by the time I sorted it out some fucker had bought my card! From hell's heart I stab at thee!

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, 40mm is pretty much code for "not in stock". The 4770s were hard to find for a long time too.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's my latest build. Mostly trying to ensure I can play most newish games at about 1080p res, and future games at least close to 1080p for the next year or so at 30+ fps.

Will this work for me?

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO ATX AMD Motherboard

$244.98 - $5.99*Instant - $27.00*Combo = $211.99

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 100283L Video Card
    Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

$259.98 - $20.00*Instant - $30.00*Combo = $209.98

ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter

$39.99 - $5.00*Instant = $34.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $85.991

Total: $542.95 + $44.79 Tax + $9.95 Shipping = $597.69

Fraz on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fraz wrote: »
    ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter

$39.99 - $5.00*Instant = $34.99

This is yet another one of the legion of faux-N cards that only supports running at the same over-crowded clusterfuck 2.4ghz spectrum as every other wireless gadget on the planet.

Half the advantage of 802.11n is being able to use the 5ghz band.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I hadn't even thought of this: what's a decent wireless card? I need one because my computer is positioned kind of oddly.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I hadn't even thought of this: what's a decent wireless card? I need one because my computer is positioned kind of oddly.

I guess I need a recommendation on this too. My choice is not legit.

Any word on the rest of my setup?

Fraz on
This discussion has been closed.