As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E != mc^2 (Static vs. Expanding Universe)

Mad_MorlockMad_Morlock Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
I started the original E=mc^3 thread mostly as a joke.

However, someone asked me to read up on the dimensional analysis formula used to derive E=mc^2 and I found a problem.

Einstein uses a rest mass (also known as relativistic mass or invariant mass) calculation in his formulas, assuming zero momentum in a mass at a rest state. He did this because he assumed the Universe was static, and it wasn't until 1929 when Hubble found out that galaxies were actually receding from each other that Einstein realized his mistake.

In an expanding universe F*p != 0 because the momentum of the expanding universe is non-zero, so he would not have been able to remove this from his equation to derive E=mc^2.

Therefore E > mc^2 as the momentum of an expanding universe has not yet been figured into the equation.

Again, feel free to say rant and rave and say terrible things. I'm all for Freedom of Speech.

Mad_Morlock on

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Did you even read the link MCC so kindly posted in the last thread?

stigweard on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    scanners.jpg

Mr. Morlock, if you'd like to remain here, I recommend you don't make any new threads for awhile.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stigweard wrote:

I did, actually.

And I found a problem.

He assumed a zero momentum for a particle in it's rest frame when calculating E = mc^2, which is false if the Universe is expanding.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Good lord, havn't you learned your lesson yet?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    AzalinTheLichAzalinTheLich Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Again, feel free to say rant and rave and say terrible things. I'm all for Freedom of Speech.

I used to be like you, I was all for freedom of speech. Until I started reading what some people ( like you! )were writing on forum like this one.

AzalinTheLich on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    stigweard wrote:

I did, actually.

And I found a problem.

He assumed a zero momentum for a particle in it's rest frame when calculating E = mc^2, which is false if the Universe is expanding.

Do you have any idea what rest frame actually means? Well, no, you dont, this much is pretty damn obvious.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What part of banned from physics didn't you understand? Mass does not move due to the expansion of space. The distances increase, but the mass does not actually move.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so... it's obvious he takes some sort of sick pleasure from making these threads, so maybe its a good idea if people stopped reacting to him

after this post

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    If the Universe is expanding, and Galaxies are receding (Hubble's discovery), then mass has a momentum vector due to the expansion of Universe. I figured the concept of receding Galaxies would make that pretty clear.

You'd have to calculate the momentum vector in relation to the point of origin of the Big Bang. Einstein assumed the the Universe was completely static, not expanding, and made no allowances for the momentum of the expansionary forces of the Big Bang.

The concept of the Big Bang wasn't even there when Einstein derived the formulas for relativity. He assumed a static universe.

Therefore E != mc^2 as no allowances have been made for the conservation of universal momentum.

Mad_Morlock on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    If the Universe is expanding, and Galaxies are receding (Hubble's discovery), then mass has a momentum vector due to the expansion of Universe. I figured the concept of receding Galaxies would make that pretty clear.

You'd have to calculate the momentum vector in relation to the point of origin of the Big Bang. Einstein assumed the the Universe was completely static, not expanding, and made no allowances for the momentum of the expansionary forces of the Big Bang.

The concept of the Big Bang wasn't even there when Einstein derived the formulas for relativity. He assumed a static universe.

Therefore E != mc^2 as no allowances have been made for the conservation of universal momentum.

You don't need to make cosmological mesurements in order to assert a rest frame. One of the bigger points of relativity, in case you missed it, is that there is no absolute rest frame.

The cosmology you're talking about has nothing to do with the underpinnings of relativity.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    I started the original E=mc^3 thread mostly as a joke.

Good to hear.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.