Options

[Hesher] Goatvomit and Gasmasks

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    autothrall wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there is at least one Irish metal festival, called Day of Darkness or D.O.D. It's not a HUGE festival, it's held in Ballylinan, but...

In 2004 they had Dismember, Ancient Rites.
    In 2005 they had Rotting Christ, Desaster, Waylander.
    In 2006 they had Destruction, Primordial, Moonsorrow.
    In 2007 they had Entombed, Sabbat, Cruachan, Candlemass, Skyforger.
    In 2008 they had Unleashed, Doomsword, Watain, Nifelheim.

Some of the 'celt metal' bands like Mael Mordha and Primordial seem to play a lot.

It has a sister-fest in Germany called W.O.D or Way of Darkness which of course is much larger and has a fuck ton of bands.

Germany is just the right spot in Europe I guess.

EDIT: There are also other Irish metal fests.

Full Metal Racket, Belfast (just had this in April: Rotting Christ, Paradise Lost, etc)
    Low End Festival, Waterford (this August: Napalm Death, Onslaught, Primordial, etc)
    Cork Winterfest, Cork (December, Waylander and others, tiny fest)
    Man what? This is the first I've heard of any of those. Turns out I need to do more research.

Also Mael Mordha and Primordial are Irish, so they do the home-town gig thing a lot. Afaik, Primordial have played here around five times in the last 2 years.

edit: Shit, I really should have heard of D.O.D. My friend's brother's band played there last year :P

Tav on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Adrenaline wrote: »

I really wanted to put something up this week, but I've been house sitting without my computer and music, among other things. Really good stuff, though, kudos to everyone who put stuff up!

Oh, and that Demigod sounds totally up my alley.

I think they might be. All of their albums are good.

I don't think I could top my last review for Finland week, so I'll leave it at that. I'll announce another theme in a few weeks, might be a 'style' and not a country.

Also we need a total nerd week. I'm itching to try some game reviews.

UPDATE: ZOMG, Amorphis put my review on their site. I'd might as well wear a suit and tie now.

autothrall on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd be up for that trying to think of what recent game I've played though

I'd probably just review EDF which I've been meaning to do anyways

yakul on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll probably have that Tyr review up tonight. I need to give it another couple listens, but so far it's not grabbing me like Land and Eric The Red did.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Adrenaline wrote: »

I really wanted to put something up this week, but I've been house sitting without my computer and music, among other things. Really good stuff, though, kudos to everyone who put stuff up!

Oh, and that Demigod sounds totally up my alley.

I think they might be. All of their albums are good.

I don't think I could top my last review for Finland week, so I'll leave it at that. I'll announce another theme in a few weeks, might be a 'style' and not a country.

Also we need a total nerd week. I'm itching to try some game reviews.

UPDATE: ZOMG, Amorphis put my review on their site. I'd might as well wear a suit and tie now.

Oh wow, that's great. Congrats :D
    As for next week, my workload is finally going to be reduced, so I'll be able to get in on a few reviews. Unfortunately all new albums I've listened have been reviewed already, so I'll probably throw in some game reviews or something. Totally reserving Zeno Clash.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    As for next week, my workload is finally going to be reduced, so I'll be able to get in on a few reviews. Unfortunately all new albums I've listened have been reviewed already, so I'll probably throw in some game reviews or something. Totally reserving Zeno Clash.

You missed Finnish metal week...

This seems ironic for some reason.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Auto, because of you I may have to spend money I don't have to go to the Low End Festival despite the fact that it's 200KM away and I will probably end up sleeping on my friend's grandparent's floor afterwards.

I hope you're happy that I may be going to see Primordial and Napalm Death.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You missed Finnish metal week...

This seems ironic for some reason.

So it seems... Oh well, I've been basically swamped in work and studies for the past month and a half, so I've probably missed a bunch of other stuff too. Seems like the good folks of PA handled the reviews pretty well though. :P

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I lied about the reviews being up before the deadline.

In my defense, I'm fucking wasted and listening to Judas Priest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Iv_kAjMLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ufENTQY84

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey Rhan, does oranssi mean anything in Finnish?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Some more Nuclear Assault. Wooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULZ-KsWFN2s

Some of the best shit the eighties forgot.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »

Orange. :P

"Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu" means "Orange Pazuzu - (Stranger/Alien) Speaks" if that's what you were wondering about.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »

Orange. :P

"Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu" means "Orange Pazuzu - (Stranger/Alien) Speaks" if that's what you were wondering about.
    Awesome! That is indeed why I asked.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, feel free to throw any stuff like that my way if you want to know what something means. All those translator programs and such tend to royally fuck up what a sentence often means. And it takes like 5 seconds to translate by a person. :P

Stupidly complex language + multiple meanings + lazy programmers + lazy translators
    ?
    ?
    Profit!

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Will do. I have a lot of translators here at home but sadly nothing reliable and Finnish.

Away again, good job on the reviews. I'll put more up Tuesday when I get home.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Where should I start with Bolt Thrower?

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Realm of Chaos
    The IVth Crusade
    Those Once Loyal
    ...For Victory

Didn't we all just answer this a few pages ago?

autothrall on
  • Options
    S0upS0up Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I believe you guys did and I've been converted.

All hail the mighty Bolt Thrower

S0up on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hail mother fucking Bolt Thrower!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxMJDTJXleI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6dUtUcsVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wb1mHy9i30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oREpuJJ8sU

Brave are the deeds
    Of fallen victorious
    Never forgotten
    Lonely are the glorious

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I really like the new Týr album. I always found their older albums too slow and boring for my tastes.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've grown on them after listening to them a bunch thanks to the glowing review of Land on the blog, but I think the new album is possibly their best. I do like their longer songs though (specifically Land, the song). Hail to the Hammer is a fucking awesome slow song by them though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJi5ImbB7g

They also have a song about the Rainbow Warrior (I think... the lyrics would definitely fit in with it) which is pretty cool (fuck the french DGSE)

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would just like to reinterate that if you don't like Bolt Thrower you are not a metalhead. No offense intended, it's just a fact. Fire is hot, water is wet, Bolt Thrower haters don't know what the fuck.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck Bolt Thrower.

This is now a Watain thread.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was actually perusing Watain's lyrics to use a quote for the blog header, but went with Emperor instead. Watain has some great lyrics.

While I, too, am enjoying the new Týr album, I can't agree about the older albums being boring.

autothrall on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just heard a good one on net radio.....

Ahab, "The Hunt"

Sort of long dark and doomy. Any of their other stuff worth checking out?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ahab, "The Hunt"

The METAzrael signal has now been lit.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was actually perusing Watain's lyrics to use a quote for the blog header, but went with Emperor instead. Watain has some great lyrics.

While I, too, am enjoying the new Týr album, I can't agree about the older albums being boring.

You can't go wrong with Emperor lyrics, although Watain and their last album have some fucking fantastic lines.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Call of the Wretched Sea for me was ok. However I don't really enjoy that type of doom to begin with.

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Ahab, "The Hunt"

Rest of the album is in a pretty similar vein to The Hunt. Worth checking if you liked it, I suppose. Not exactly my type of music, but it seemed solid.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    GithzeraiGithzerai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do I need to reevaluate some of my friends? They were surprised that I'm flying back from Hole In The Sky a day early (granted I miss Inferngoroth, Archgoat and Ted, but the rest are at Hellfest) just to see Bolt Thrower in Birmingham.

Githzerai on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just?

Yeah new friends might be warranted...

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yea, we get it. You guys like Bolt Thrower.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    GithzeraiGithzerai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the fact I first came into contact with Madder Mortem immediately before watching Red Harvest and Enslaved kinda permanently overshadowed them for me. I don't get it, but I'm well aware lots of people do. I think they just reside in one of my musical blindspots.

Githzerai on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, I could imagine, they have nothing in common with those bands other than the fact they're Norwegian, and certainly are nowhere near as good as Red Harvest or Enslaved (the latter of which is one of the most potent musical forces on our planet).

I've been impressed with them up to this point because they're a gothic/groove metal band that doesn't suck, which is quite an accomplishment in of itself. The vocals are passionate and they build a good atmosphere with some nice melodies that aren't cheaply accessible. They're one of the few gothic/fairy metal acts who don't sound like they're fronted by some first round American Idol-rejection. The last album Desiderata hit the spot but I still have to listen to the new one.

autothrall on
  • Options
    The Southern DandyThe Southern Dandy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Red Harvest is pretty awesome. Been getting back into their material lately. Them and Zyklon. Also, the debut from Obscura is awesome if you're all into the tech/death thing, probably already reviewed it on your blog.

The Southern Dandy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Good to have you Southern. Yes, Red Harvest is great, Cold Dark Matter is genius.

I think I reviewed Cosmogenesis (the 2nd album) from Obscura, but the debut is open season for anyone who wants at it.

autothrall on