As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Career Transition?

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
With the job market what it is and my degree not really helping me in finding a job I'm considering a few paths to take in the near future that I hope will lead to some modicum of job security and satisfaction as well as the ability to buy a house and start a family.

I'm in my late 20's now, married going on four years now. My wife and I own a condo in Louisville where I got my Master's degree in Psychology from U of L. The degree is turning out to be more of a liability than an asset as I search for jobs. Jobs in Psychology, I lose out to people with PhD's who couldn't get jobs for PhD holders. So when I apply at more run of the mill jobs I get a raised eyebrow and a "Why not apply to a job in Psychology?"

Still, I've managed to land a 'long term' gig through a Temp agency doing data entry and other such things at a company that's contracted by the government to consolidate and process student loans. The upshot here is that I'm actually getting low level security clearance (C-5) and experience in handling student financial aid stuff.

I'd like to go back to school, this time to get a degree that I'll be able to apply more easily, something in the computer science/ IT arena. There's a community college here in Louisville, Sullivan University that usually seems to be hiring people to work in Financial Aid, I've gotten interviewed before but passed up for someone with a bit more experience and I think less formal education. So my tentative plan is to stick with this 'long term' temp job for awhile, get security clearance and experience and try again for a job at the university which would then allow me to take classes for reduced cost or in most cases absolutely free.

So, assuming that my crazy plan works. Are there particular clases/certifications that really help land jobs in the IT and CompScience industry?

If this plan fails I've started considering the idea of enlisting in the Army Reserve. My father was in the Army Reserve when he was about my age and it helped him get some legal experience that solidified his career aspirations of being a lawyer. I know that enlistment of any kind comes with the possibility of deployment to active combat zones and such. But does enlistment in the reserves also mean that I'll have to re-locate? and can I get training in fields like computer science and IT without bringing a whole lot of prior experience to the table? I'm also not sure that if I enlisted in the reserves whether or not I'd risk losing my Temp Job that if nothing else pays the bills. I know jobs are protected if I'm deployed to active duty but this isn't a proper job that I have is it? It's just a temp job, so I'm not sure if I should even risk asking my temp agency about this for fear that they'll just cut me loose.

Advice from those with some experience in this realm is much appreciated.

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on

• Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A+ and at least one kind of networking are pretty mandatory usually

pretty much just find a place that will transfer your credits so you don't have to retake any generals

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on