As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unique eateries in Cincinnati and Dallas?

X5X5 Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Evening H/A folks,

I'll be in both Cincinnati and Dallas next week for about 3 days each and wanted to get some suggestions from anyone familiar with either city on some neat places to eat. Places that might be unique to each city or, in the case of Dallas, a place that might typically only be available in really large cities.

I have a few places I've read about already, though any suggestions you guys have would be cool.

Many thanks in advance.

TheX5.png
X5 on

• Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If in Cincinnati I would definitely suggest Skyline Chili. "Cincinnati-style" chili is more like a spaghetti sauce, and is routinely eaten on a bed of spaghetti noodles with a pile of cheese (we call it a 3-way). Most people aren't daring enough to try it, but I'm a huge fan. Not expensive

Also in Cincinnati there is Graeter's Ice Cream. Best ice cream I've ever had. If you get anything with something "chunky" in it, like chocolate chip or cookies and cream, you will often find chocolate chips as big as your thumbs or entire Oreo's in the ice cream :D. Slightly more expensive than your gas-station ice cream, but comparable to a Coldstone

The Montgomery Inn boathouse on the Ohio river has amazing ribs, but is expensive.

I know of a few hole-in-the-wall delicious places to eat depending on what neighborhoods in Cinci you'll be in too.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Re: Cincinnati

What kind of places are you thinking of? What level of dining I mean. There are some really fantastic local restaurants that I can suggest depending on where you'll be staying, and what kind of food you're looking for.

Murphy on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As a local of Cincy, I can probably lend some insight as well.

Skyline Chili is a Cincinnati staple, as is its main competitor, Gold Star Chili. Both chains have locations all over the city and in Northern Kentucky. They're pretty good places for lunch. I will echo SideAffect's sentiments about Graeter's as well - Aglamesis Brothers is on par (maybe better) then Graeter's and it's a local ice cream place as well (Hyde Park and Harper's Point). They're also known for the candies (chocolates especially).

I won't support SideAffect's rave about Montgomery Inn though - I've felt their overall quality has gone down over the years as well as the portions they serve, but the price continues to be high. It's a local eatery, so if that's key to you then I say have at it, though I tend to stick with their chicken myself if I have to go there.

Some might say LaRosa's as well for pizza - it's a local chain that seems to outperform the big chains in the Cincinnati area. Sometimes it's great, especially when you eat in one of their restaurants - delivery can sometimes be hit and miss though. Of course, if you're going to eat at a pizza place, there's plenty that's better that is also local:
    Mac's (Clifton) - located near UC's campus, they have excellent pizza for being a college-oriented joint, excellent beer/drink selections there as well.
    Palmadori's (Clifton and Montgomery) - great woodfired pizza.
    Dewey's (multiple - not solely local to Cincy, but very limited locations outside of the area) - maybe a little better then Palma's.

If you're able to give a more specific area of town, it sounds like several of us can give you a list of places nearby. :)

Slagmire on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Hah, good luck finding anything in Dallas that isn't a chain.

About the only recommendations I can make are:

Freebirds World Burrito Chipotle-ish (but with more options) burrito place local to Texas.

Zea is a semi-localized chain (Louisiana and Texas) that's really excellent (or at least it was when I went there a couple of years back.

There are a couple of Rudy's Barbecue places on the very north end of Dallas (Denton and Frisco), but unless you're in that general area or a huge barbecue fan (Rudy's is quintessential Texas barbecue), I wouldn't make the drive.

About the only non-chain I can unreservedly recommend is Tokyo One. All you can eat sushi, hibachi, and general asian food.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In what I can only assume is a local chain in Dallas, "Snuffers" has great burgers, fries, etc.

There are so many independent places in Dallas it isn't funny. Check this http://listings.guidelive.com/restaurants you can sort by price, cuisine, location, etc. Well worth a look and the reviews are pretty accurate.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There are so many independent places in Dallas it isn't funny. Check this http://listings.guidelive.com/restaurants you can sort by price, cuisine, location, etc. Well worth a look and the reviews are pretty accurate.

Yeah, I'm sure downtown there are more independent places, but by and large, Dallas is a chain wasteland.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unique to Dallas means either steak or tex-mex to me. Luckily, there are about a million billion choices for each, in any price range. Some of my favorites:

-Love Chamberlains for a fancy steakhouse. Bob's also comes highly recommended
    -Texas Land and Cattle is a great bang-for-the-buck steak. As is Saltgrass (both local chains)
    -Mercado Juarez is some delicious Mexican food. Joe T. Garcia's and Uncle Julios are also good (all local chains I think)

It's worth noting that "Burger House" (3 locations in dallas) is the greatest burger-joint burger in the history of burger joints. Whataburger is also nice if you need some food in the middle of the night (all locations open 24hrs I think).

Also, it doesn't seem very "Texan" but Dallas has a huge asian immigrant population, and as such there are tons of Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese (traditional and US-style), Thai, etc. places, especially in the North Dallas/Richardson Area. Personally, I love Masala Wok (Fast food Indian, never seen that anywhere else) and Thai Garden

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, if you want more targeted recommendations, tell us where you are staying in Dallas. The DFW area is like the size of Rhode Island, so where you are close to makes a big difference.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, if you want more targeted recommendations, tell us where you are staying in Dallas. The DFW area is like the size of Rhode Island, so where you are close to makes a big difference.
    2nding this, and bluedotting in the meanwhile. I might be able to offer suggestions if you know whereabouts you'll be.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Same here.

If you never been, Medieval Times in Dallas is pretty damn awesome. The food is merely okay, but the experience definitely adds to it. If you're into Sushi, there's some pretty good restaurants in the area. My faves are Japan House in Plano, or Genki Sushu in North Dallas.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    FYI, the best crab cakes in Dallas are at Ruth's Chris. A chain, I know, but DUDE.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cincinnati Chili is something I tend to force out of towners to eat. Skyline works, but I'd encourage you to find a non-chain. Camp Washington Chili is pretty classic.

If you're downtown, JeanRo Bistro is pretty fantastic, finer dining. Nearby Via Vite, on the square does what I consider to be the best pizza in town. They are like 5 bucks each during happy-hour and after 10pm, and the owner, Nicola, runs one of the finer dining spots in the city, Nicola's.

In addition to being a little pricey, Montgomery Inn boils their ribs. Some people have a problem with that.

Cincinnati has a pretty decent scene for the epicurious, but some details on where you are staying would really help us help you.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is a boutique "chain" of cupcake stores called Sprinkles, and one of them is located in Dallas. Some of the best cupcakes I have *ever* had.

For more food-related eatings, Snuffers is worth eating once (a lot, really, but if you're only here for a short time, once will have to do). Pluckers is on Greenville Ave. and Lover's Lane, VERY good wings and has a college hangout feel to it. Also, Freebirds is RIGHT around the corner from it.

Those are my favorite "unique" places here, but there are a lot I can think of - let us know the local parts you'll be staying near.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unique to Dallas means either steak or tex-mex to me. Luckily, there are about a million billion choices for each, in any price range. Some of my favorites:

-Love Chamberlains for a fancy steakhouse. Bob's also comes highly recommended
    -Texas Land and Cattle is a great bang-for-the-buck steak. As is Saltgrass (both local chains)
    -Mercado Juarez is some delicious Mexican food. Joe T. Garcia's and Uncle Julios are also good (all local chains I think)

It's worth noting that "Burger House" (3 locations in dallas) is the greatest burger-joint burger in the history of burger joints. Whataburger is also nice if you need some food in the middle of the night (all locations open 24hrs I think).

Also, it doesn't seem very "Texan" but Dallas has a huge asian immigrant population, and as such there are tons of Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese (traditional and US-style), Thai, etc. places, especially in the North Dallas/Richardson Area. Personally, I love Masala Wok (Fast food Indian, never seen that anywhere else) and Thai Garden
    In what I can only assume is a local chain in Dallas, "Snuffers" has great burgers, fries, etc.
    Thanks! Just the other day I was trying to remember the name of the grill my 4th grade teacher took me and some classmates to for winning a contest. Turns out it was Snuffers.

As far as other restaurants in Dallas:
    Kalachandji's is an all-you-can-eat Indian vegetarian buffet, run by the hare-krishna's (I think) in their temple. The food is amazing. I took some friends there to eat once and everyone was full after the first plate, but we all went back for seconds, because it was just so good. They don't usually have more than 4-5 entree's, but they're all freshmade and delicious.

Matt's Rancho Martinez: Has some excellent Tex-Mex. A local institution in the Lakewood area. My dad is good friends with the chef*. If you go, I recommend the Chile Relleno.

*He may have since moved to reopen his own restaurant I haven't been home in a few years. But the food is still good.

I second the recommendation for Burger House. The burgers are gigantic and messy and delicious.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, Pluckers looks great. I can fucking devour wings by a dozen and can't believe I never came across this place. And it's like ten minutes from where I live!

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    1ddqd wrote: »
    There is a boutique "chain" of cupcake stores called Sprinkles, and one of them is located in Dallas. Some of the best cupcakes I have *ever* had.

This.

The cupcakes are a couple bucks a piece, but they are, without question, the best cupcakes.

And if you're in the mood for a good drinking session, Texadelphia, across the parking lot from the aforementioned Pluckers, has $1 bottles of domestic light beer. $1 Miller Lites? It's almost that price in a liquor store now, great value. Get trashed there and stumble across into Pluckers for their fried pickles. Pluckers also has a pretty good deal on buckets of beer.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Where are you going to be in Cincinnati? Skyline is unique I guess but I never thought it was anything special and depending on where you go the employees have all the dedication of a McDonalds franchise. There's a nice vegetarian restaurand, Myra's Dionysus iirc, in Clifton if you're into that sort of thing. Thai Cafe on Ludlow Ave is amazing, and The Orient is a delightful hole in the wall downtown. If you've never been to one, there is a Moe's Southwest Grille just across the river in Newport, KY. It's like if Chipotle was sacrificed to summon the dark god of flavor and awesome on the altar of gigantic fucking burrito.

TL DR on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, many replies thus far.

Definitely should have been more specific on the areas of town I'll be around. In both cities I will have a car, so things don't have to be within walking distance.

For Cincinnati I'll be in the central business district. Looks to be relatively near the University of Cincinnati.

For Dallas I'll basically be around Dallas Love field area for the most part.

I'll try anything, and have no food allergies.

The suggestions thus far have been great, I love chili so for sure be diggin on some of that in Cincinnati.

Thanks very much for all of the ideas.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're in the UC/Clifton area, then you're pretty much hip deep in places to dine and most of them are pretty good. Get to know Ludlow Ave in Clifton - there's a lot of diverse places just on that street alone. Probably the best Skyline in town, best Indian (Ambar) and a couple others that are pretty good, a couple pizza joints: Adriatico's (sp?) and Dewey's is next to Skyline, place called Olives (haven't been there yet and have heard mixed reviews), Biagio's Bistro and several more I can't even think of right now.

Mecklenburg Gardens is a really good German restaurant in Clifton as well. Plenty of others that I'm forgetting right now too. If you're in the mood for something specific, you're likely not far away from it - plus downtown and northern Kentucky are about five minutes away.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    TronTron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FYI 75 is the major NOrth South Highway, it divides the city and suburbs.

Let's see for Dallas, agree on Plucker's, only place I know of for wings. Good place to watch a game.

There is an Asia town in the Richardson area if you go exploring. Favorites are MAxim's, 1st chinese BBQ, and Boba Latte for bubble slush.

For a down home southern Style- NYC Jewish Deli owned by Vietnamese, there's cindy's near forest and 75(Good Blintz's and Breakfast). Also near forest and 75 is Asian Mint, a good fusion type place.

For more texanish stuff, There's Sonny Brian's on Inwood, by you should go around lunch, I think they close when they run out of BBQ.

Bubba's Fried Chicken is good, that's near Southern Methodist University.

South Bound Greenville Ave is a good main drag for Resauraunt and Bar type stuff.

I reccomend cafe Brazil, there's 2 places for them, there's the volume/drunk time location, open 24 hours near 75 and Yale, Then there's the good location at 75 and Gatlyn.

Tron on
    Oh noes,
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you're around Southern Methodist Univesity, (a few miles East of Love Field) there's a great BBQ place called Peggy Sue's. Just on the Northwest corner of campus across from the Law School. Very traditional, great food (specially the BBQ), big portions, and pretty cheap.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    X5 wrote: »
    Wow, many replies thus far.

Definitely should have been more specific on the areas of town I'll be around. In both cities I will have a car, so things don't have to be within walking distance.

For Cincinnati I'll be in the central business district. Looks to be relatively near the University of Cincinnati.

If you're in Cincinnati on a sunday night you should hit up the Comet. They live have bluegrass music (I was extremely skeptical I hate country) and they serve the bomb burritos with various home made salsas. This is a bar, seating is tight, it is really cool.

I love larosas and skyline, you should get those, but montgomery inn is OVER-RATED. Follow that up with some graeters and you have a nice cincinnati themed evening. (get strawberry chip it's the flavor of the month...er..."season" now)

But really most of the cool shit is in covington or newport on the levee across the river. Strips of bars and a hofbrau house, nothing special about most of these places but a nice area.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For the dallas area I would Recommend Alibabas Mediterranean Grill they have a location in las colinas area and in greenville They may have oepned more locations, lunch is a buffett style but all the food is fantastic. The humus is amazing.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tron wrote: »
    There is an Asia town in the Richardson area if you go exploring. Favorites are MAxim's, 1st chinese BBQ, and Boba Latte for bubble slush.

I like Boba Latte, there's also Fat Straws by the Galleria. Cool little places to get Bubble Tea(which if you never tried, I recommend)

noir_blood on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're around Southern Methodist Univesity, (a few miles East of Love Field) there's a great BBQ place called Peggy Sue's. Just on the Northwest corner of campus across from the Law School. Very traditional, great food (specially the BBQ), big portions, and pretty cheap.
    There is a bakery by SMU. I can't remember the name, but it's pretty well known in the area. It has really good stuff.
    For more texanish stuff, There's Sonny Brian's on Inwood, by you should go around lunch, I think they close when they run out of BBQ.

Bubba's Fried Chicken is good, that's near Southern Methodist University.

South Bound Greenville Ave is a good main drag for Resauraunt and Bar type stuff.

I reccomend cafe Brazil, there's 2 places for them, there's the volume/drunk time location, open 24 hours near 75 and Yale, Then there's the good location at 75 and Gatlyn.
    Uggh, how could I forget Sonny Brian's.
    Greenville does have a ton of places. Lots of bars, a mexican restaurant or two, a sushi place (Blue Fish, has buy 1 get 1 sushi at lunch if you get a drink, or at least they did last spring.) The Greenville area is actually about a mile from where I grew up. Cafe Brazil has great artichoke dip.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Note that the 75 and Yale site is terrible food and service (IMO Tron should have said "exclusively if you're drunk"), the 75 and Gatlyn one is not bad, and the one in Oakcliff (Bishop Ave. and Davis St.) is fantastic.

If you want a coffee shop to chill at, I would direct you first to Crooked Tree, or Urban Dog.

For Italian, I have found none finer than Porta Di Roma (downtown on Main St). A second favorite is Buca Di Beppo, which is very strange in its decoration and even more flavorful with its food.
    For Thai, Chan Thai over in the Bishop Arts district (7th and Madison) has a large and tasty selection.
    For Mexican (and by Mexican, I mean Tex-Mex), people have said Mercado Juarez and Joe T. Garcia's, and these people are absolutely right. However, Joe T.'s doesn't have a chain in Dallas as I recall, only Fort Worth. I would almost say it's worth the drive, however, considering the vast amount of open outdoor garden seating they have, to say nothing of its food, surpassed in its divinity only by ambrosia. Mercado Juarez, and also Abuelo's Mexican Embassy, are excellent choices in their own right, and are significantly closer to where you'll be.
    For barbecue, Sonny Bryan's is your best bet. Rudy's is stupendous, but like Joe T.'s, is a bit out of your way.

This is off of the top of my head anyway.

edit: added Bucca di Beppo

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Buca di Beppo is definitely a chain, but it's fun if you go with a group (entrees are WAY too big for one person). Make sure you get the tiramisu. It's the most potent one I've ever had.

necroSYS on