HALO 3: ODST

BeyondBeyond Nerd SlayerIn the SkyRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
THE NEW HALO 3: ODST (formerly known as H3: RECON)

9687-halo3odst8copy.jpg

The official release was supposed to take place in Fall '09

-New multiplayer maps will be avalibe

-A new strategic style of game play

-Brand new campaign (master chief isn't even in this one) where you play as a ODST marine, rather then a Spartan super soldier.

-Online gameplay and Co-Op Campaign will be avalible, along with forge (all the same features of regular Halo 3).

-1000 gamerscore to achive in this game :)

Here are a few pictures:
ODST2.jpg
829031-halo_3_odst_large.jpg
halo_3_odst_05.jpg
halo_3_odst_01.jpg
halo3-odst.jpg

Get ready for a new generation of strategic warfare.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKjXkJVRWk

See you in game!

Beyond on

• Sick MuseSick Muse __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    GOTY 2009

Sick Muse on
    einvolk.gif
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Knowing Bungie moar liek GOTY 2011 mirite

Robman on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I admit I don't have anything in the halo thread about ODST, but there is an existing Halo thread.

In fact, I'll probably just correct that this afternoon.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • BeyondBeyond Nerd Slayer In the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know, but this game will rock.

Beyond on
    edited May 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    I admit I don't have anything in the halo thread about ODST, but there is an existing Halo thread.

In fact, I'll probably just correct that this afternoon.

Oh, all righty then.. :P

Beyond on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It saddens me that 1000 gamerpoints is worthy of your bullet point list. AND that it apparently deserves a smiley face.

I am very excited about this game though. I look forward to seeing the halo universe through the eyes of someone who isn't a super soldier.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Rainbow Six damage styles only work if it's a two way street.

Does that mean a single headshot will take down a brute now?

Robman on
    edited May 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    It saddens me that 1000 gamerpoints is worthy of your bullet point list. AND that it apparently deserves a smiley face.

I am very excited about this game though. I look forward to seeing the halo universe through the eyes of someone who isn't a super soldier.

Im excited also, but 1k gamerscore is better than none right? Also, I forgot to mention that there might be secrets in this game.... like the Halo 3 skull collection.

Beyond on
    edited May 2009
    Except its mandatory that all xbox360 games have 1000pts worth of achievments.

Also - Secrets in a game? Why, thats amazing!

Kor on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Release was supposed to be fall '09"?

What does that mean? Delayed already? I heard nothing.

xzzy on
    edited May 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

No, OP is just an idiot. The game has been done for quite some time, and the Mythic maps even longer than that. Its just that Microsoft wants something to sell this holiday season.

Kor on
    edited May 2009

No, OP is just an idiot. The game has been done for quite some time, and the Mythic maps even longer than that. Its just that Microsoft wants something to sell this holiday season.

Got a source on that? Because that seems kind of bullshit-esque and very tinfoily.

Robman on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Got a source on that? Because that seems kind of bullshit-esque and very tinfoily.

That's because it is.

The_Scarab on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, it's Halo but not Halo?!

I might possibly maybe be down!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait a second

Did you use Comics Sans?

What the fuck, guy

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    All the multiplayer maps that will come with ODST have been done since later '08. Bungie has said this themselves, and some of the variants for the current part of Mythic we have have a timestamp of creation of later '08 (nov/oct).

ODST is in crunch mode right now. The game will be done waaay before it's release date. In their 'lost' podcast that they posted after ODST was announced, they kept mentioning how it was coming out that winter. They've already sent all the animators home as of 2 months ago.

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2009
    And seriously how is this game going to work, I thought Halo established in very clear terms that the Covenant generally fuck the humans right up in battle. I mean, that's why they introduced the Spartans, because every other human force got their asses kicked across the room.

Robman on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And seriously how is this game going to work, I thought Halo established in very clear terms that the Covenant generally fuck the humans right up in battle. I mean, that's why they introduced the Spartans, because every other human force got their asses kicked across the room.

Well maybe the game will present a challenge of some sort. Alternatively running into a room and holding down 'shoot shit' might not be the best tactic.

Doubt it though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited May 2009

That doesn't mean humans are incapable of fighting them. The odds are just severely stacked against them.

Get one dude bad enough to survive a fight against the covenant, and base a game around him.. you're good to go.

xzzy on
    edited May 2009
    Nevermind, fyre cleaned that up for me nicely.

Kor on
    edited May 2009
    Because you're going to be fighting against unshielded Brutes, not Elites. Bungie has already said there are no Elites in ODST.

They've also said that you're going to have to sometimes choose to not engage/avoid encounters or you'll get your shit wrecked.

FyreWulff on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Wait a second

Did you use Comics Sans?

What the fuck, guy

WHAT'S WITH PEOPLE HATING COMIC SANS ALL OF A SUDDEN? IT'S SUCH A NICE FRIENDLY NON-THREATENING FONT. WHAT DID IT EVER DO TO YOU?

Food on
    edited May 2009
    Real men use Impact

I would have preferred they staged the game in the early portions of Halo 2, I much prefer shooting elites than I do brutes. Elites seem like they actually have a personality, and I admit I am a huge sucker for listening to them chant "wort wort wort".

xzzy on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That infamous Achewood comic in 3... 2...

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Real men use Impact

I would have preferred they staged the game in the early portions of Halo 2, I much prefer shooting elites than I do brutes. Elites seem like they actually have a personality, and I admit I am a huge sucker for listening to them chant "wort wort wort".

I always loved their "excruciating pain!".

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited May 2009
    re: maps being done a long time ago

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/reconclarification.html
    Long ago, all six maps were considered the "Mythic Collection" but now we're in a situation where three of them will be released early as the "Mythic Map Pack." Technically all six are still "Mythic" though. A little confusing, eh? The reality is that these maps and plans originated long ago and a lot has changed since then, creating a little bit of a convoluted situation but the upside is that three of the maps are coming out before the Halo 3: Recon retail release.

FyreWulff on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This reminds me a bit of Republic Commando.

Man that game was awesome.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Food wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Wait a second

Did you use Comics Sans?

What the fuck, guy

WHAT'S WITH PEOPLE HATING COMIC SANS ALL OF A SUDDEN? IT'S SUCH A NICE FRIENDLY NON-THREATENING FONT. WHAT DID IT EVER DO TO YOU?

Well, Comic Sans is the superhero of the font world.

So this game is going to be like playing Halo with a character without regenerating shields, the ability to hold a weapon pinpoint-accurate for hours on end, a suit of armor injecting magical happy juices that prevent physical death, and the strength to kill things by punching them and flip cars? Will it at least be Republic Commando-esque where you have a squad of soldiers that are sort of competent? I'm sure the humans had to have won at least one battle without Spartan support, but I haven't read any Halo books so maybe they're terrible. But the ODSTs are supposed to be the elite human soldiers if I recall.

The article at the Halopedia (apparently everything has its own encyclopedia and you can find it by adding -pedia to the concept) seems somewhat informative.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
    edited May 2009
    ODSTs are closer to Spartans than they are to regular shitty marines.

I mean, they don't have the Godlike powers or the alien suits of armour but they all have big manly bears underneath those helmets and they will fuck you up.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    That was supposed to say beards but fuck it, I like the mistake more.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    the game is based primarily around a 4-man squad.

You don't use some of the weapons master chief uses. Mostly because you can't physically lift them.

since its more based around covert ops, you have silenced weapons.

Kor on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Nah, the way I've always seen it is that ODSTs are the Marines that they would normally kick out for being so batshit fucking crazy.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Really like the suit the guy's wearing. I'll pick this up... Full fledged release right?

urahonky on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Nah, the way I've always seen it is that ODSTs are the Marines that they would normally kick out for being so batshit fucking crazy.

Can't they be both?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited May 2009

I dunno. In Halo 2 and 3 when they show up, they seem to get shit done. I mean maybe it is the advanced AI from game to game but I remember legions of marines dying in Halo 1 but in the latter two the ones with the shiny helmets doing alright.

The_Scarab on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well, if Halo Wars is any indication, ODST troops kick the shit out of other ground troops.

Ganluan on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We'll know more details after E3, I imagine. If not, PAX. They've said it'll be priced as an expansion, but I imagine it'll end up being full price. To be honest I'm willing to pay it, though - they've proved to me that their games are top notch.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited May 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »

Well, if Halo Wars is any indication, ODST troops kick the shit out of other ground troops.

They're pretty beefy in the Halo books as well.

They were basically the best and most feared warriors of the human race, up until the Spartans came along.

xzzy on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That was supposed to say beards but fuck it, I like the mistake more.

Given odds are fair your guy is a woman, D:

As for the covenant fucking us up, it's mostly space dominance they have. Things are (slightly) more even on the ground, especially given you'll be an SAS analog. The one thing I wonder is whether they'll have ways of differentiating your teammates in co-op which seems likely.

halo-3-odst-20090410091321323.jpg

Possibly different starting weapons to encourage team work?

I hope this is a love letter to the Halo trilogy and it has all the indicators of it (outside the lack of elites). Hell they're using the ensemble dark horse, in New Mombasa. One can only hope that there's the option for it to be ball breakingly hard, even with four guy co-op and packed with secrets. Oh and some new vehicles on top of the weapons would be pretty sweet.

Leitner on
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Best of the Best. Feet first into Hell! Oooh-RAH.

343px-ODST_Fast_roping.png

All that jazz.

OmnomnomPancake on