Options

A Fistful of [Western]

Stevie2SxcStevie2Sxc __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I had to choose between that title or "The Good, the Bad and the [Western]". But I stand by my choice.

Anyway, onto the actual post. I'm in the mood to engross myself is some old-timey Westerns. I've already watched the masterful Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy and am in need of more films to satisfy myself with of the Western persuasion.

Suggestions?

EDIT: Forgot to include that I've also seen High Plains Drifter. Also I did watch a bit of Unforgiven but never finished it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stevie2Sxc on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Once upon a time in the west is a given I assume?

NotYou on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Magnificent Seven

3:10 to Yuma (I never saw the original but the remake with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale was pretty badass)

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Outlaw Josey Wales

Hondo

Hang em' High

Westworld (sort of a western/sci-fi mashup)

Two Mules for Sister Sarah

The Searchers

Unforgiven

Basically, just IMDB John Wayne and Clint Eastwood.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hondo was so awesome, they made an episode of Married with Children that revolves around Al doing everything he can to watch it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I heard that Django is made of win, although haven't seen it myself- must check it out...

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pale Rider.

True Grit.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you like your westerns a bit more actiony than I can't recommend Tombstone enough.

Val Kilmer's best role by far.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My Name is Nobody.

How awesome is it? So awesome.

Edit - Also, The Wild Bunch. Watch that first so you get the in-jokes in My Name is Nobody.

Double Edit - The Proposition is also pretty good - it's an Australian western, for a change of pace.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

Quigley Down Under?

Do these count?

I suppose I like my westerns a bit "silly."

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're doing a bit of a western kick you need to watch the Unforgiven last...

One night I watched The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly followed by Unforgiven and was in awe of Clint Eastwood... that man can get it done.

Tombstone
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Unforgiven
    The man with no name series
    No Country for Old Men
    Ned Kelly

More modern stuff than old, but I never was a fan of the Duke.

Maybe watch The Seven Samurai instead of the Magnificent Seven... Kurosawa just does it better!

Phisti on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My Name is Nobody.

How awesome is it? So awesome.

Edit - Also, The Wild Bunch. Watch that first so you get the in-jokes in My Name is Nobody.

Double Edit - The Proposition is also pretty good - it's an Australian western, for a change of pace.

I came in just to day that.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Man who Shot Liberty Valance.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DragoranDragoran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    High Noon is pretty amazing, albeit not super-actiony. Also, seconding Once Upon a Time in the West if you haven't seen it yet.

Dragoran on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dead Man. It's not a true Western like Eastwood/Wayne but it's damn good.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Appaloosa was great.

Slo on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're looking for "old timey" westerns, disregard gilbert. Dead Man is an introspective art film.

If you can track down The Sacketts tv miniseries, give that a shot. Based off of the Louis L'Amour novels and starring Tom Selleck, Sam Elliot, Ben Johnson, Glen Ford and more.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    anyone else for Young Guns? wooo

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Wild Bunch is a classic. 80th on AFI's top 100 (non-genre specific list) for hte longest time

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Phisti wrote: »
    If you're doing a bit of a western kick you need to watch the Unforgiven last...

One night I watched The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly followed by Unforgiven and was in awe of Clint Eastwood... that man can get it done.

Tombstone
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Unforgiven
    The man with no name series
    No Country for Old Men
    Ned Kelly

More modern stuff than old, but I never was a fan of the Duke.

Maybe watch The Seven Samurai instead of the Magnificent Seven... Kurosawa just does it better!

I agree with this. The Magnificent Seven feels rather sloppy when compared to Seven Samurai. Not the acting so much, just the pacing, the role of certain characters, and the awful ending.

ed: Nevermind. You've seen High Plains Drifter. <3 that so much.

guar on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you will get more out of something like Once Upon A Time In The West if you watch the Westerns it's... homaging. for lack of a real word.

not that it isn't fantastic or doesn't work on its own. just saying there's a lot of indirect references.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He wants to watch westerns. Telling him he should watch The Seven Samurai is kind of dumb, folks. Sure it's better made, it notably lacks the whole being a western thing though..

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GafferGaffer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mastman wrote: »
    The Wild Bunch is a classic. 80th on AFI's top 100 (non-genre specific list) for hte longest time

Came here to see if this was mentioned. A western set late in the era to be sure, but it has alot of good action and doesn't waste its potential. The ending is probably one of the best shootouts I can say I've watched in a film.

Gaffer on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Dead Man. It's not a true Western like Eastwood/Wayne but it's damn good.

Marooned for lies! I just watched this last weekend and I could not be less impressed. I really expected more from the cast of big name actors. About half of the time it seemed like the writers just asked themselves what they could do that would make less sense than the previous scene.

on with the recommendations

Shane (1953)
    Stagecoach (1939)

wmelon on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Watched the first two episodes of Deadwood last night, and it's really good so far.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Back to the Future 3.

Uhh...and.... uh... actually, yeah the Django movies are really awesome. Oh, and Shane!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Another film has just been brought to my attention. Film from 1969 with Lee Van Cleef, called Sabata. Annoying RottenTomatoes has no reviews for it, so if anyone has seen it here, is it any good?

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChuweroChuwero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The original Lonesome Dove miniseries is very good, but don't bother with the TV series that was made after.

Chuwero on
  • Options
    kaptein_kaffekaptein_kaffe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    - Any of the Trinity movies with Terrence Hill and Budd Spencer. Especially "my name is nobody" and "my name is still nobody".
    - For a fistful of dollars
    - For a few dollars more
    - The good the bad and the ugly
    - Hang 'em high
    - The wild bunch
    - 3:10 to Yuma
    - Seraphim falls
    - Bonanza
    - Deadwood
    - Gangs of new york?

I'm sure that there's a western called Rio Bravo as well. I'm gonna try and watch it when I get the time and give you my opinion.

kaptein_kaffe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    UPDATE: I've watched Pale Rider, Unforgiven and The Magnificent Seven now, and aside from Yul Brynner looking like an anorexic Sontaran, they were all fantastic

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I kinda liked "the assasination of Jesse James by the coward robert ford".
    i'm sure many will disagree about the movie itself, but the cast is pretty solid...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    High Noon is purposefully a subversion of traditional Westerns.

John Wayne famously called it "the most un-American thing I've ever seen in my entire life." On the other hand, it was among the favorite movies of Eisenhower, Reagan, and Bill Clinton, and it's on the American Film Institutes best movies list.

It's not nearly as shocking in 2009 as it was in 1952, but it's still a great movie.

Edit: And for the people who mentioned Rio Bravo, that movie was John Wayne's "response" to what he thought was wrong with Hign Noon.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    S.S. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    S. on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Django? Really? Really?
    Stevie2Sxc wrote: »
    Anyway, onto the actual post. I'm in the mood to engross myself is some old-timey Westerns.

Cripes, people.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My Darling Clementine is a solid choice.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    You should definitely check out "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". Also try "The Outlaw Jose Wales" and "Wyatt Earp", which is a biopic of the main character for that film "Tombstone", with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer, which, by the way, I also heavily recommend.

KeyScourge on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really liked the Outlaw Josey Wales. Recommended if you enjoyed the Dollar trilogy.

If you liked the Dollar trilogy, I recommend you stay away from anything with John Wayne.

John Wayne:Clint Eastwood::Adam West's Batman:Christopher Bale's Batman.

SammyF on
  • Options
    KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    I'd say it was: John Wayne:Adam West's Batman:Christian Bale's Batman:Clint Eastwood. assuming they go from left to right in terms of awesomeness

KeyScourge on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Throwing my votes behind:

Tombstone
    3:10 to Yuma
    KeyScourge wrote:
    SammyF wrote:
    :
    I'd say it was: John Wayne:Adam West's Batman:Christian Bale's Batman:Clint Eastwood. assuming they go from left to right in terms of awesomeness

I think he's saying John Wayne is to Clint Eastwood as Adam West's Batman is to Christopher Bales Batman.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    And for some reason, I can't figure out why I put Christopher Bale and not Christian Bale. Except that Sammy F started it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shut up, I'm tired. :P

SammyF on