As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Switching out Hard Drives

KrugKrug Registered User regular
I recently bought a new hard drive for my computer, and I wanted to transfer all of my data over to the new one, but I've been running into some issues remembering how to do it.

The new drive is a 640GB WD Caviar Blue, and the old one is also Western Digital.

I first plugged in the new drive and formatted it and installed my OS, but now I can't recall how I get the data from the old to the new. I seem to think that I need to somehow set the old drive up as the master and the new one as a slave, and that to do so I would use a jumper to cross two of the pins on the back of the drive, but I don't have a jumper(none came with the drive), nor do I know where to get one, nor the configuration I'd use if I did have one.

Also, once I do get a jumper or two, what's the best way to transfer my crap?

Krug on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it is likely a SATA drive, no jumpers needed. Just hook the second drive up, they will both show up in windows, and copy/paste.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They are SATA drives. I tried just hooking them up once already, but the second drive didn't show up in windows.

I have the single power strip hooked into both of them, 2 data cables, each one connecting one drive to the mobo, and I turned on drive 1 in addition to drive 0 in the BIOS.

Krug on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah, I made a rather silly mistake. I didn't realize that my computer had 4 slots for data cables and plugged into slot #2 thinking it was #1. Now I've got it straight. All solved.

Krug on