As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cops! (responsible methods of curtailing corruption)

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I made this thread on another forum but I think the responses are a bit skewed because of partisanship. I'm going to compile a few of my posts from that discussion.

So... this is kind of a broad thread. I guess I'll guide it with some very minimal precursors:

-Many cops are good.

-Many cops are bad.

-Cops hold a lot of power. This is unavoidable, and is a condition of the objectives which we task to them.

-What steps can we take to ensure that their behavior is somewhat transparent while not compromising their efficacy as enforcers of the law?

I'm not suggesting that they need to be under constant surveillance (or even that such a thing is feasible). I'm saying that:

-these are people who have guns, and other disabling but less lethal weapons
-these are people who can garner instant and total compliance and acquiescence from a great deal of the population
-these are people with a network of other people (other cops) who can assist them in multiple ways through eyewitness testimony, evidential falsification, creative paperwork etc.

Because of these things, I think it's necessary to implement some measures to curtail the extent to which these officers can possibly skirt the law. I think that car mounted cameras is a decent step. I think that having a powerful Internal Affairs department is another (though I'm sure if IA is too powerful that certain personal and professional taints can come into play if there isn't a useful mechanism for oversight).

Those posters who are cops are very welcome to make any suggestions.

Go!

Organichu on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that they need to be under constant surveillance (or even that such a thing is feasible).

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23403984-details/'Smile,+you're+on+camera!'+Police+to+get+'head-cams'/article.do

I'm not certain of the details, but it strikes me that this should cut both ways. The video recorded by these devices should be retained and available whenever any allegation of misconduct is made. If ever there was a job where it's perfectly reasonable to be under constant surveillance it's Police Officer.

japan on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    japan wrote: »
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23403984-details/'Smile,+you're+on+camera!'+Police+to+get+'head-cams'/article.do

I'm not certain of the details, but it strikes me that this should cut both ways. The video recorded by these devices should be retained and available whenever any allegation of misconduct is made. If ever there was a job where it's perfectly reasonable to be under constant surveillance it's Police Officer.
    This is the kind of thing that should be public domain, much like police reports. Plus how great would it be to be able to connect to a youtube-like site full of video recorded police encounters. Coptube, where justice is served.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I'm not saying that it's ethically unsavory- I'm saying that a comprehensive surveillance model would probably be impossible. Is it financially reasonable to fund those cameras for every single officer in the country? There are 6,500 officers in my city alone. The economic undertaking would be gargantuan.

Also what happens when there is a scuffle that disables the camera?

Organichu on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I'm not suggesting that they need to be under constant surveillance (or even that such a thing is feasible).
    Note: I fucking despise cops. I think they have far too much power in society, most to all of it is unchecked, and corruption and abuse is highly prevalent in the cop culture. Unlike the other profession most closely related to it (the military), they have no real central disciplinary force (like the military's UCMJ/JAG courts), I am of the opinion that rates of abuse and corruption is far higher than that of the military, and most allegations of abuse go unpunished. The culture of silence they provoke is fucking disgusting and shameful. Now that you know my bias, read the below.

Why not? Unless it's sensitive information (Drug raids, plainclothes, infiltration stuff), why shouldn't they have to be monitored 24/7 and have such information be publicly available?
    No-one's gonna actually check that shit out unless allegations of abuse get levelled against the cop, so if anything this'll create a better legal defense if police officers get accused of shit they don't do

Rent on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Because that's expensive and that money would be better spent on more prisons and bars HARGAHBLARGL

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Rent believe me hurting people's feelings isn't a factor in my hesitancy. :P I simply can't imagine that high quality cameras and mics (meaning no $40 Logitech web cams :D ) can be distributed to- and maintained- the country without an absolutely unbelievable price tag. A quick Google suggests there are 83,000 cops in California. NYC alone has 35,000. My city has 6,500. Chicago has 13,500.

So just outfitting California and a few other big urban cities would equal over 138,000. Assuming only 75% of those actually ever hit the street (and it's probably more than that) it's still well over 100,000 officers being given units that must cost into the hundreds of dollars per, and I'm sure require huge amounts of maintenance for the off site servers to collect the content (away from possibly corrupting eyes)...

Organichu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Note: I fucking despise cops. I think they have far too much power in society, most to all of it is unchecked, and corruption and abuse is highly prevalent in the cop culture. Unlike the other profession most closely related to it (the military), they have no real central disciplinary force (like the military's UCMJ/JAG courts), I am of the opinion that rates of abuse and corruption is far higher than that of the military, and most allegations of abuse go unpunished. The culture of silence they provoke is fucking disgusting and shameful. Now that you know my bias, read the below.

Why not? Unless it's sensitive information (Drug raids, plainclothes, infiltration stuff), why shouldn't they have to be monitored 24/7 and have such information be publicly available?
    No-one's gonna actually check that shit out unless allegations of abuse get levelled against the cop, so if anything this'll create a better legal defense if police officers get accused of shit they don't do

Well, part of the problem with this system is that the victims do deserve privacy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Why the fuck would you despise cops

Do you despise fire fighters too

Obs on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs wrote: »

Ah, Obs - your middle class privilege shines through yet again.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Cops != firefighters, and I already listed all the reasons I despised cops
    Seriously do you even read posts
    What the fuck
    "RENT SAID HE HATES COPS MUST MAKE ANGRY POST FUCK READING REST OF SENTENCE"

Rent on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I actually just want the headcams video to be publicly available because I'm one of those people who enjoys reading the police blotter and interesting police reports, especially when it's something nearby.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

What the fuck

You're doing it wrong.

TL DR on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Well, part of the problem with this system is that the victims do deserve privacy.

The victim could then possibly ask for it to be sealed.

I do agree on the 24/7 recording aspect, however. Cops can get away with a lot of shit due to lack of evidence to prove their abuses. Also, all states should move to a one part recording law, so that an individual citizen has a right to record his interactions with the police on his end as well. In many states, a cop can arrest you if you attempt to record his abuses of power.

Also, the single most important easy reduction of corruption:
    - Both individual police and entire departments cannot affect their salaries or budgets by enforcing or not enforcing the laws. Speeding tickets and asset forfeiture are a gigantic source of entire department wide corruption. Even if we use those mechanisms, the funds should be spread out over all fifty states on a per capita basis, so that no department can meaningfully make themselves more money by using them abusively.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

To: JManderley//UNATCO.00013.76490
    Cc: ANavarre//UNATCO.9954.1131
    Subject: Skul-gun

Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head. Yesterday in Batery Park, some
    scum we all know pushes smack for NSF gets jumpy and draws. I take 2 .22's,
    1 in flesh, 1 in augs, befor I can get out that dam asalt gun.

If I could kil just by thought, it would be beter. Is it my job to be a
    human target-practis backstop?

Gunther Hermann

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I might just have been too heavily influenced by the movie Serpico but I think American culture is definitely part of the problem. Mistrust of cops might be rampant in the U.S. but it seems to me that it's incredibly difficult to bring a police officer to justice after they decide to do some fucked up shit.

Does anyone know what happened to the cop that shot the guy in the back on the subway after he was subdued? Or how about the other office who beat up the girl after she threw her shoe at him? How many of these guys actually see prison time for their actions instead of the usual suspension? I would love to see any politician make police corruption and violence a major platform issue.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

This is the kind of thing that should be public domain, much like police reports. Plus how great would it be to be able to connect to a youtube-like site full of video recorded police encounters. Coptube, where justice is served.

Hell no. It should require court order to release. Some serious privacy violations are possible here.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    The answer is robocop

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe we could cut down on the cost of putting all the cops under surveillance by getting rid of some of them. Do we really need this many police? We could focus on higher standards for the ones that we keep and could maybe even afford to pay them better.

Drake on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I always get the feeling that cops are both good and bad, but also regionally good and bad. i never had any problems with the police when i was a kid in Minnesota. Hell, one of my best friends dads was a sheriff and he was a great guy.

but then i moved to southern California, where i have been personally harassed by police two times, witnessed a officer beating a homeless man, and seen a drunk cop hit a parked car with his car. All within about 3 blocks of the city police department. Beyond that the police around here seem largely useless, they just hand out tickets and ignore the greater crimes and gangs in the area, or park on the freeway on the weekends and pull over anyone that leaves the bar scene after 8pm.

also: click it or ticket

Barcardi on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well, I guess if your son was killed because four police officers were scared of one man with a stapler, you might be less than impressed with the profession.

Not to bog down in this one example, specifically, some people dis-like or even hate cops because of the actions of the bad cops, and the ridiculous solidarity that the profession extends to protect even the worst of its members.

As to how to fix the problem?

Independent oversight. Complaints against the police need to be investigated by an independent agency that is not a police department. Cops investigating themselves has time and time again shown to be both slow and ineffective at fixing the problems in the profession. And having outside police departments investigate each other isn't a solution.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hell no. It should require court order to release. Some serious privacy violations are possible here.

Is it much different than when I go up to the police station and get a police report, with full names and a first-hand account of the goings on by the officer?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As a specific suggestion, police should always have badge numbers visible. This has become a problem with riot control, where police have been removing their badges. (This was talked about in an earlier DnD thread, where velcro badges were recommended.)

In addition, with the advent of camera phones, there needs to be a *very* good procedure in place for "I just took a video of a police officer doing something he shouldn't, and now he's trying to confiscate all cameras in the area as 'evidence'." This keeps happening, and the current procedure is "the police confiscate all cameras they can find, deny the crime ever occurred, then the one video they missed ends up on youtube."

These suggestions don't do anything against institutionalized corruption, but they do counteract two significant issues.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Police should be recorded at all times. We've already attempt to record them as much as possible via dash-cams so it's not an ethical issue, it's just a technical issue. Technology has advanced fast enough that we can get cameras on every cop, and we can store and upload all the video. There's no reason not to make that data available publicly.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cops can go into places that are otherwise private, though. That's a good reason to make the data public on request rather than automatically public. If institutional corruption is a concern, perhaps a few legislature-approved watchdog NGOs can have unrestricted access to the video.

Building a camera light and small enough to record and continually upload video is possible now, I guess. Storing all the video seems excessive; past year, perhaps?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not saying that it's ethically unsavory- I'm saying that a comprehensive surveillance model would probably be impossible. Is it financially reasonable to fund those cameras for every single officer in the country? There are 6,500 officers in my city alone. The economic undertaking would be gargantuan.

Also what happens when there is a scuffle that disables the camera?

Regarding disabled cameras, it would happen, it could be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Regarding the economics, video recording equipment is cheap and becoming cheaper, as is digital storage. I don't think it's necessarily completely unfeasible, and ultimately I think having police officers under constant surveillance is the preferred solution.

I don't think the video should be public domain, since that's a pretty extreme violation of the privacy of anyone who interacts with the police. I do think it should be stored for at least a given period of time and that there should be a robust procedure for it to be reviewed in the event of a complaint, and that it should form part of any evidence presented in any prosecution.

I also have issues with the fact that the entry requirements for becoming a Police Officer seem really, really, open in terms of education. It basically seems like the sole requirement over here is that you don't have multiple criminal convictions. This is kind of anecdotal, I admit, but I have known several people who entered the police force who I would basically consider to be petty criminals. I'm not sure wnat the best way to counter that is.

japan on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it much different than when I go up to the police station and get a police report, with full names and a first-hand account of the goings on by the officer?

Yes. 4th and 5th amendment stuff.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey what happend to that officer in Oakland? You know the guy that shot a suspect lieing down.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

What the fuck

You're doing it wrong.

The cops who threatened to arrest me after I got mugged were doing it wrong too....

Shade on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shade wrote: »

What the fuck

You're doing it wrong.

The cops who threatened to arrest me after I got mugged were doing it wrong too....

No man. See my sig.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Hey what happend to that officer in Oakland? You know the guy that shot a suspect lieing down.

Presumably they made a concerted effort to bury the whole thing so they can try the guy in a place that isn't oakland, and he'll get acquitted and be a cop again somewhere else within the year

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

There's a joke about this.

What do you call a cop who's not on a power trip?
    A firefighter

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess it is heavily dependant upon where you are located. In my experience in both applying for police officer positions, and dating a deputy sheriff. Even a hint of a breath of wrongdoing can get you fired, and possibly brought up on charges here. The girl I was dating at the time flat refused to even meet some of my friends, because she heard they smoked pot once in a while, and she was terrified of losing her job due to "association with criminal elements"

Code on
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Corvus wrote: »

Well, I guess if your son was killed because four police officers were scared of one man with a stapler, you might be less than impressed with the profession.

That guy was going apeshit in an airport...I'm glad they did what they did. Just because you don't know English, doesn't mean you get to act like a loony-tune. I mean, he was upset because he couldn't find his way out of the airport or something, and he feels that the best course of action is to start yelling and throwing tables?

Lail on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Uh, you're glad the RCMP tasered him five times and killed him, and then tried to cover it up?

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As an officer, I would have tazed that guy in the airport without hesitation. As far as five times...I don't know about that one. Most I have had to give one guy is two separate rides because they know how the tazer works. Hurts like a son of a bitch for those five seconds, but after that you can get up and keep doing what you need to do after that. An ideal tazer incident would be one ride and while the guy is down your partner goes up and handcuffs them.

Our tazers in our department come equipped with a camera which includes audio and video. Every time we flip ours on it starts automatically until it's turned off and is reviewed to make sure we were in our lawful right to utilize it. Since we had our's for the past year and a half, I have had to use mine twice.

I actually enjoy the cameras because it protects me against any false allegations where I tazed a guy for 'no reason'. The video shows exactly what happened and how the suspect acted. As far as the curtailing corruption, I bought a digital audio recorder and record every encounter I go to to save my ass from false allegations.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was watching cops last night and some dude high on crack was tazed ~5 times.

There were two big dudes on him, and he fought for a good five minutes. It was pretty insane.

At any rate I don't think the majority of cops are 'bad'. Might some look the other way when they shouldn't? Sure. But you can say that for every profession, and especially the ones with high stress. Then again I've never had any problems with the police, and when I was a kid some of my neighbors were state troopers and riding in a patrol car is awesome.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Not to bog down in this one example, specifically, some people dis-like or even hate cops because of the actions of the bad cops, and the ridiculous solidarity that the profession extends to protect even the worst of its members.

As to how to fix the problem?

Independent oversight. Complaints against the police need to be investigated by an independent agency that is not a police department. Cops investigating themselves has time and time again shown to be both slow and ineffective at fixing the problems in the profession. And having outside police departments investigate each other isn't a solution.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lail wrote: »

That guy was going apeshit in an airport...I'm glad they did what they did. Just because you don't know English, doesn't mean you get to act like a loony-tune. I mean, he was upset because he couldn't find his way out of the airport or something, and he feels that the best course of action is to start yelling and throwing tables?

Yes. The proper recourse for someone acting out is to kill them.

Remind me not to go to you for child care.

Also, is it bad that I can't actually bring myself to block Obs? it's like, I'm fundamentally flawed as a human being...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Our tazers in our department come equipped with a camera which includes audio and video. Every time we flip ours on it starts automatically until it's turned off and is reviewed to make sure we were in our lawful right to utilize it.

That's really interesting. Are camera equipped tazers more or less standard issue now?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember my father talking about how when he drove home drunk he had a police escort, and was given a harsh warning not to do it again. I remember my "uncle" talking about how he got his ass kicked, maced, and tazed bringing his father to the emergency room while the guy was having a stroke.

Which is more commonplace today, you ask?

Definitely emergency room beatings, I have met three seperate people who have had that happen to them, said officer kept his job.

Edith Upwards on