Options

[TF2] UBERSAW? AGAIN?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BigKev wrote: »
    What's this exploit I've missed??

Activate dead ringer. Get hit, take little damage. Turn it off a second later, turn it on the moment you uncloak. Get hit, take little damage. Repeat while piping hilarious music and suggesting naughty things to the enemy team.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AirExplosiveAirExplosive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Basically, you exploit the temp invulnerability aspect of the Dead Ringer by turning it off and on rapidly as soon as you get hit. It's obvious as fuck, and often results in most of the team playing Wack-a-Spy, because, according to TF2Wiki
    TF2Wiki wrote:
    The cloak can be removed at any time, so a quick spy who can decloak fast enough can have the dead ringer available to use again before he's even fully visible. A spy who relies on this exclusively has an effective heath of 1250.

AirExplosive on

dil.gif
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just make a server, sv_lan 0, sv_pure 1. Change maps. Click to join spectate team.
    Go to sleep, eat dinner, smoke, drink, party, sleep again. Free unlocks while you are working or w/e.

Nothing to it.

rfalias on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So is it a known bug to be stuck on parsing game info when joining a game?

Gumpy on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Basically, you exploit the temp invulnerability aspect of the Dead Ringer by turning it off and on rapidly as soon as you get hit. It's obvious as fuck, and often results in most of the team playing Wack-a-Spy, because, according to TF2Wiki
    TF2Wiki wrote:
    The cloak can be removed at any time, so a quick spy who can decloak fast enough can have the dead ringer available to use again before he's even fully visible. A spy who relies on this exclusively has an effective heath of 1250.

Or just burn them to death eehehhehehe

Lemming on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fellow dead ringer fans, try this:

For about 2 minutes every 10 minutes or so, keep disguising as your own teamates and go on "suicide" runs, hopefully getting in a few kills on your "killers".

Congratulations, you've just totally hampered the efficiency of their defense (especially snipers) because they're going to assume every person who they shoot first is a spy.

edit: I was doing this in a pub, obviously. I wouldn't expect you cultured gentlemen to be taken by such a vulgar ruse.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Earlier, I joked that flareguns would be the currency of TF2. I'm not sure so it's still a joke. I have three flareguns.

Peewi on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I recieved my third flare gun today as well. Still only got the C&D + Razorback in about 35 hours.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nay, time spent on 'achievement_idle' map will be traded as currency.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    Nay, time spent on 'achievement_idle' map will be traded as currency.

Time to repost this:

TF2 Sniper v Spy update Bonus Day 2:
    tf2updatefinal3.jpg

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had four flare guns and four sandmen and other assorted duplicates along with my Razorback, Huntsman and Cloak & Dagger.

Now I've deleted all the duplicates except my other C&D.

fuck this system

Senshi on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have three flare guns, two scout drinks, two Nataschas, A jar of piss and the Dead Ringer.
    Wtb Bow.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also, it might be because I've been awake all night and I need to do something while I farm, but now I'm mentally writing a script for a parody show Achievement Idle, based on American Idol.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So far I'm up to 16 items, 3 of which were new.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    who the fuck is going to want flareguns though

they're worthless

forget about it

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love the people that go to idle servers and actually sit there and watch the spectate, when they could be like... playing

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    I love the people that go to idle servers and actually sit there and watch the spectate, when they could be like... playing

I actually had a blast screwing around with some cool guys in achievement_idle earlier. It reminded me of mulch_dm from TFC, just much tighter quarters.

And then me and one guy realized we were the only ones not afk on the 24 person server, so he went engy and built a teleporter into the spawn and I got 217 backstabs in one life.

statsevu.jpg

Thank god there's a stat reset feature.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, see I just sit in spectate. >.>

rfalias on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    let's start this thread off on the right foot

the backburner is cool

cooler than lesser flamethowers

Valve's random loot drop robot apparently thinks it's so cool that I needed a spare one, instead of any of the Medic or Heavy unlocks that I don't already have.

Now I want to be able to dual-wield flamethrowers.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I have my third ubersaw. In a row. Which would be great, if I were a fricking surgeon.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Catalase wrote: »
    Well, I have my third ubersaw. In a row. Which would be great, if I were a fricking surgeon.

I'm going to make so many people happy when trading is implemented, I've been damn lucky.

I've got a full set of the spy gear for me, and then a second full set.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    dibs, motherfucker

Senshi on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    dibs, motherfucker

fuck you, if he wants flareguns he's coming to me

since i have all the flareguns

Nuzak on
  • Options
    SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How many flareguns is a backburner worth?

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

rfalias on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sagaxus wrote: »

But only if you glue them together to create some kind of giant napalm cannon.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So lately I've been having problems running TF2 smoothly, making some classes in particular pretty shitty to play.

A couple of questions if anyone can spare some time to help me out:

What FPS do you guys usually get on a higher-end computers? I am getting 30 (in large battles) to 80 (unstressed) with a GTX 9800+, quad core 2.4 gHz cpu, and 4gb of ram.

I am aiming for an consistent fps above 67 (since that's the tick-rate on the PA servers I think?); is that possible with my hardware and does anybody know any sites explaining what I must do to optimise my fps, preferably explaining the options so I can tweak things instead of just setting everything to low and having the game look like poop. Which coincidently, only increases the fps by about 10 in large battles, so up to 40.

I'm thinking my machine should be doing a lot better, 40 choke in the middle of battle doesn't really seem acceptable.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cheese it, frankie!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Do you realize that a month from now there's going to be a dedicated TF2 server named "Trading Post"?

Fuck, there will probably be a special map that gives everybody god mode so nobody can grief the traders.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So I got my VALVe posters (TF2 and L4D packs). The sentry one is schmexy. I'll post pics later today!

rfalias on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Streltsy wrote: »
    So lately I've been having problems running TF2 smoothly, making some classes in particular pretty shitty to play.

What FPS do you guys usually get on a higher-end computers? I am getting 30 (in large battles) to 80 (unstressed) with a GTX 9800+, quad core 2.4 gHz cpu, and 4gb of ram.

I am aiming for an consistent fps above 67 (since that's the tick-rate on the PA servers I think?); is that possible with my hardware and does anybody know any sites explaining what I must do to optimise my fps, preferably explaining the options so I can tweak things instead of just setting everything to low and having the game look like poop. Which coincidently, only increases the fps by about 10 in large battles, so up to 40.

I'm thinking my machine should be doing a lot better, 40 choke in the middle of battle doesn't really seem acceptable.

Damn, something's wrong with your setup or something. I get a steady 35FPS on high with a 9600GT, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, and 2GB of ram. Check drivers, and check that nothing else is running while TF2 is

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Streltsy wrote: »

I have way worse specs than you and run it beautifully at 1280x1024 at ~80 fps maybe. I'm guessing the usual suspects in your case. Old drivers? Programs running in the background? Pointless settings turned up too high? (AA on a resultion above 1024 won't make much of a difference to the naked eye)

[EDIT] Wasn't there some issue with quad cores on the HL2 engine? I know some setups are pretty messy to get running optimally on L4D at least.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I run at 1280x1024 (17 inch monitors >.>)
    16x CSAA, maxed out everything possible.

4gb DDR3 Dual Channel
    Intel Core2 Quad, Q9550 2.8 GHz
    GeForce GTX 285 SSC Edition

Even with that, running vista x64, when I forgot to put a stick of ram back in the other day, I noticed quite a hit in FPS/load times, etc...

I don't know how much RAM you have, or what OS you have (Edit: I'm a retard, he said 4gb, color me stupid), but it was really noticeable with only 2gb ram.
    That aside, just turn stuff down is all you can really do, along with the normal driver deal, and ending any extraneous process before you play.

rfalias on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Sagaxus wrote: »

But only if you glue them together to create some kind of giant napalm cannon.
    You used Flaregun on Flaregun

...but nothing happened.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goofballs Idol server is credit to community.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    I have way worse specs than you and run it beautifully at 1280x1024 at ~80 fps maybe. I'm guessing the usual suspects in your case. Old drivers? Programs running in the background? Pointless settings turned up too high? (AA on a resultion above 1024 won't make much of a difference to the naked eye)

[EDIT] Wasn't there some issue with quad cores on the HL2 engine? I know some setups are pretty messy to get running optimally on L4D at least.

Well, my monitor is pretty large (1920x1080) so that's a pretty big load and I have AA turned on (x2). Turning down resolution sucks because everything becomes stretched out, but again, experimenting with ultra-low settings and turned down res (1680x1050) only netted in an extra 10 FPS. Thus I'm guessing it's some underlying cause, but I wanted to ask the FPS of others here with similar set-ups to be sure.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I GOTTA BOW MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh wow, so I logged on some random server and just left my self idle all night and just got five items. Not bad.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Damn AFK'ers!

Oh wait....

rfalias on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    can someone please tell me the ip to Goofballs server.

I would like to idle while I go out tonight, but I don't want to find out that I got kicked from a random pub after ten minutes and was idle on the main menu.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg