As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend on] long-ass single-player 360 games

LegbaLegba He did.Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
So far my Xbox collection has been devoted mostly to short(ish) games with heavy multiplayer.

However, in a couple of month's time I'll be packing my bags and heading for China. From what I understand there's no Xbox Live available in Beijing, so multiplayer games are out. And since I have only a vague idea of what it'll be like buying new 360 games there, it might be best to bring a couple of games I haven't played yet with me.

So here's the rub. I've got about 2,000 points worth of Goozex credit left that I'll need to get rid of before I go. I'm looking for two or more games that
  1. have a single-player component worth the price of admission
  2. take a nice long while to finish, and
  3. are either out now or will be out within the next month (so I can get them on Goozex before I leave)

Beyond that, basically I trust your definition of "good".

Legba on

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Oblivion. DLC is available for all three if you want to extend the experience, though you'd have to buy it before you left I guess.

elevature on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lost Odyssey is a good game that probably is longer than anything else you will find

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Oblivion. DLC is available for all three if you want to extend the experience, though you'd have to buy it before you left I guess.

DLC isn't an option unfortunately, since I have only 70 MS points on my account and money is extremely tight before the move. That's why I want to get the games on Goozex if at all possible.

Isn't Fallout 3 coming out with an expansion disc? If that is out before August it might be worth a peek.

Legba on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Grand theft auto 4.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sacred 2 is pretty good if you like diablo-ish, hack'n'slash gameplay. It's a pretty good time sink.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tried halo 3? I've played the campaign on that many times and still like it. I haven't played halo wars my self but I'll still recommend it for the vast amount of replay value RTS's have.

Casual on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wouldn't agree with Mass Effect. Whilst longer than some, it's not the longest game in the world.

I'd agree with all the other recommendations made.

Fallout 3, is massive and will take a long time to make it through so long as you explore and do side quests. It took me a week or so to do the main quest and a handful of side quests and I barely touched the meat of the game.

Oblivion is another that will proably soak up a hundred hours or so, but it's not as good as FO3.

Lost Odyssey is epic, I put in about 50 hours and only got to disc 2 before I moved onto other things, but it's well worth the admission price, and it should be pretty cheap now too.

GTA4 is okay, but found the missions kinda boring after a while and it's not as fun as the previouos GTA games.

Which reminds me of one, Saints Row 2. This game is much better than GTA4 and probably lasts about the same length of time too.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm not really into RTSs, I get owned with embarrassing regularity.

Diablo-esque hack'n'slash sounds right up my alley. I'm playing the hell out of Too Human at the moment, even with all its flaws, and I'm psyched for Diablo 3. Though I wonder how long it would keep my interest without being able to show off my shiny new gear to other players.

I used to be into JRPGs in a big way - okay, I used to be into Final Fantasy in a big way - so a JRPG-esque game might be a good option.

I need the single-player campaign to be a decent size the first time around, because I very rarely replay games - the notable exception being Mass Effect, which I'll bring with me and which I expect will get a third play-through eventually.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Lost Odyssey is epic, I put in about 50 hours and only got to disc 2 before I moved onto other things, but it's well worth the admission price, and it should be pretty cheap now too.

Day-mn. How many discs are there? And the story is good you say? That sounds pretty good.

Legba on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nalouto wrote: »
    Sacred 2 is pretty good if you like diablo-ish, hack'n'slash gameplay. It's a pretty good time sink.

Are you trying to make him hate you? The 360 port is abysmal.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Legba wrote: »
    I'm not really into RTSs, I get owned with embarrassing regularity.

Diablo-esque hack'n'slash sounds right up my alley. I'm playing the hell out of Too Human at the moment, even with all its flaws, and I'm psyched for Diablo 3. Though I wonder how long it would keep my interest without being able to show off my shiny new gear to other players.

I used to be into JRPGs in a big way - okay, I used to be into Final Fantasy in a big way - so a JRPG-esque game might be a good option.

I need the single-player campaign to be a decent size the first time around, because I very rarely replay games - the notable exception being Mass Effect, which I'll bring with me and which I expect will get a third play-through eventually.

You do have a PC for that, right?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Day-mn. How many discs are there? And the story is good you say? That sounds pretty good.

If my memory serves me right it's over 4 discs.

The story is good, although it is very much JRPG fare, its significantly better than the last few Final Fantasy's have been. Plus there are dozens of very well written short stories littered throughout the game which fill in the back story of the main protaganist.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    chasm wrote: »

Oo

Not what I have read / seen on youtube?

Not out in the UK till the 5th though

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

The story is good, although it is very much JRPG fare, its significantly better than the last few Final Fantasy's have been. Plus there are dozens of very well written short stories littered throughout the game which fill in the back story of the main protaganist.

I have heard that once you reach disc 4, though, the story just kind of dies. I am only on the end of disc 2 myself, but I was not told good things about disc 4.

That said, the first 2 discs of the game, as that is all that I have played, are probably some of the best, if not the best, storytelling I have ever seen in a game. Probably the first game I could describe as a tear-jerker.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You do have a PC for that, right?

I do, although I've barely touched it for gaming since I got my 360. We'll see how much in the way of hardware upgrades it'll need to play Diablo 3, but unless it flops horribly, that's one of the few games I'd bother going through the effort for. (So many hours spent playing Diablo 2.)

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »

Oo

Not what I have read / seen on youtube?

Not out in the UK till the 5th though

That's a good thing actually, because it means I just about might be able to get a copy on Goozex before I head off. I'll have a look at reviews and hear what people say before I pick it up, but I do like me a good hack'n'slasher.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dourin wrote: »

I have heard that once you reach disc 4, though, the story just kind of dies. I am only on the end of disc 2 myself, but I was not told good things about disc 4.

That said, the first 2 discs of the game, as that is all that I have played, are probably some of the best, if not the best, storytelling I have ever seen in a game. Probably the first game I could describe as a tear-jerker.

Hmm. Well, I'm a sucker for a good story. If three out of four discs are good, I'll be willing to put up with a disappointing ending - I didn't froth at the mouth at Assassin's Creed, and I'd like to think that that says something about how tolerant I am. Plus, a 80-100 hour long game (going by Duchess Prozac's playtime) sounds perfect. There's no way I'm not going to know how to go about getting my next game by the end of that, surely.

That's 1,400 Goozex points sorted (assuming I get Lost Odyssey and Sacred 2), which still leaves me with a decent amount of points. Keep recommending!

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hmm. Well, I'm a sucker for a good story. If three out of four discs are good, I'll be willing to put up with a disappointing ending - I didn't froth at the mouth at Assassin's Creed, and I'd like to think that that says something about how tolerant I am. Plus, a 80-100 hour long game (going by Duchess Prozac's playtime) sounds perfect. There's no way I'm not going to know how to go about getting my next game by the end of that, surely.

That's 1,400 Goozex points sorted (assuming I get Lost Odyssey and Sacred 2), which still leaves me with a decent amount of points. Keep recommending!

I would also recommend Star Ocean:TLH. So much stuff to do in that game. Admittedly, I am currently only on the first disc, of 3, clocking in so far at around 18 hours. Basically, to me, this is a next-gen Rogue Galaxy done right. There are pretty large areas to explore on each planet, they can all be revisited (or so it seems so far), pretty interesting story that spans time and space, a pretty in-depth item crafting system, and I heard people talk about a battle tournament of sorts, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

It is pretty cut-scene intensive both in length and frequency, but unlike a lot of other games, they are actually interesting, so I never seemed to mind sitting through them.

There are probably a vast number of elements of the game that I have left out, or have not yet experienced, as early in the game as I am. However, after Lost Odyssey, if you're looking for solid, lengthy games, this would be my second recommendation.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also, although I personally cannot vouch for it, my girlfriend did recently finish Tales of Vesperia, clocking in at around 100+ hours. Granted, she explored absolutely everything, and talked to everyone she could in the game, but it is the only real RPG that she has ever shown interest in, much less completed.

Dourin on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tales Of Vesperia. It can take up to 60 hours your first time through.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Best part of Lost Odyssey is the funny sidekick is actually funny and has a good (english) voice actor. (Need to finish LO once I get a hold of a 4:th disc that is not fucked, europe-edition has issues with this).

Blue Dragon is also a long rpg if you can stand the melonhead art style (has a demo up on marketplace, one part of the demo is spoiler-ish but can remember which).

Too Human isn't too bad if you are looking for a Diablo-clone (has also a demo).

Oblivion lasts longer than Fallout 3 if you do all quests and all guilds (well for me at least). F3 has a better combat system though but Oblivion can be found for cheap.

GTA is around 10 hours iirc which isn't special when it comes to shooters on the 360.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    (Need to finish LO once I get a hold of a 4:th disc that is not fucked, europe-edition has issues with this).

How prevalent is this? If I buy it in Europe, I won't exactly be able to return it once I get to Beijing, and I'd be pretty pissed off if I spent 80+ hours playing a game only to be stuck with a broken copy and no way of fixing it.

If chances are good I'll end up with a broken disc, that's a real deal breaker for me.

Legba on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yeah, this is a pretty great Diablo-like game to sink a lot of time into. There's lots of character customization, and the game world is open ended (I believe 22 square miles). When you do get back to be able to play online, we'll be waiting for you in co-op and Free Play options. :P

Mass Effect is a worth owning, although it can be beaten in like 18-25 hours if you ignore exploring the extra planets (which are all pretty much the same). I got the game two weeks early when K-Mart put it on the shelves, and popped back 22 hours later having beaten it, and that was with all the side-quests I could find, too.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are good time sinks and fun to play, although if you haven't played those before and have a PC capable of running them, getting them on the PC is better due to the incredible amount of user created content that fixes and improves and adds to the game. I'm just mentioning that in case you wanted to save some money.

Like Bartholamue said, Tales of Vesperia is a pretty long JRPG. I beat it at 65 hours. It's a fun game worth playing twice, too. As you play, you earn grade points which can be spent at the start of a new game to unlock bonuses or carry over items and skills.

Blue Dragon's story and characters are incredibly simplistic, if that's not your thing. Some people like that classic kind of tale, chasing the bad guy all the way to the end. There's little to no character development, however, so that's something you may want to know.

As far as Star Ocean: The Last Hope? The gameplay is fun, no doubt, but the story? The characters? Beyond horrible. I'm going to clock you in the face, Dourin! :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't recommend it as good, or really speak much about the story, but I did find Infinite Undiscovery in a clearance bin the other day for $10. Really the only possible recommendation I could pull out of that would be that it's a JRPG (and thus, likely at least decently long) and available at bargain bin prices.

Tales of Vesperia is great, though.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    (Need to finish LO once I get a hold of a 4:th disc that is not fucked, europe-edition has issues with this).

How prevalent is this? If I buy it in Europe, I won't exactly be able to return it once I get to Beijing, and I'd be pretty pissed off if I spent 80+ hours playing a game only to be stuck with a broken copy and no way of fixing it.

If chances are good I'll end up with a broken disc, that's a real deal breaker for me.
    According to the online retailer in the uk it was pretty normal ,I didn't bother to ship it back across the ocean since I got it so cheap. Oh and I checked http://gamespider.co.uk:
    Description : I loved this game UNTIL i got to disc 4. It just wouldnt load. Had a read around and found this a common problem. Went out and bought another copy ... put in disc 4 and it wouldnt load either. It definately wasnt my xbox. Dont think its worth buying 3 copies!

Fun fact: Star Ocean:TLH and Tales of Vesperia aren't released here in europe, end of june is release.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I can't recommend it as good, or really speak much about the story, but I did find Infinite Undiscovery in a clearance bin the other day for $10. Really the only possible recommendation I could pull out of that would be that it's a JRPG (and thus, likely at least decently long) and available at bargain bin prices.

Oh man, did you beat it yet? There are a ton of what the fuck plot hole moments right in the end (well, all throughout the game, really, but a ton happen right in a row at the finish). It's also a really short JRPG, too. It can be beaten in 20-30 hours, so that might not be what he's looking for.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

Yeah, this is a pretty great Diablo-like game to sink a lot of time into. There's lots of character customization, and the game world is open ended (I believe 22 square miles). When you do get back to be able to play online, we'll be waiting for you in co-op and Free Play options. :P

Mass Effect is a worth owning, although it can be beaten in like 18-25 hours if you ignore exploring the extra planets (which are all pretty much the same). I got the game two weeks early when K-Mart put it on the shelves, and popped back 22 hours later having beaten it, and that was with all the side-quests I could find, too.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are good time sinks and fun to play, although if you haven't played those before and have a PC capable of running them, getting them on the PC is better due to the incredible amount of user created content that fixes and improves and adds to the game. I'm just mentioning that in case you wanted to save some money.

Like Bartholamue said, Tales of Vesperia is a pretty long JRPG. I beat it at 65 hours. It's a fun game worth playing twice, too. As you play, you earn grade points which can be spent at the start of a new game to unlock bonuses or carry over items and skills.

Blue Dragon's story and characters are incredibly simplistic, if that's not your thing. Some people like that classic kind of tale, chasing the bad guy all the way to the end. There's little to no character development, however, so that's something you may want to know.

As far as Star Ocean: The Last Hope? The gameplay is fun, no doubt, but the story? The characters? Beyond horrible. I'm going to clock you in the face, Dourin! :P

Eh, like I said, SO:TLH reminds me of Rogue Galaxy for the PS2, which I absolutely loved. That said, the story seems decent enough, and if he's ever sat through a traditional jrpg, the characters will be no surprise to him. The combat, though, is so much fun, there seem to be tons of side quests to do, as well as other things to keep you busy when you're not progressing through the story, and it has a decent enough story to keep you interested.

Honestly, though, how can you complain about the characters in SO:TLH, but yet mention nothing of the characters in Vesperia, and consider the characters in SO to be worse than those in Blue Dragon? :P

Edit:

According to the online retailer in the uk it was pretty normal ,I didn't bother to ship it back across the ocean since I got it so cheap. Oh and I checked http://gamespider.co.uk:
    Description : I loved this game UNTIL i got to disc 4. It just wouldnt load. Had a read around and found this a common problem. Went out and bought another copy ... put in disc 4 and it wouldnt load either. It definately wasnt my xbox. Dont think its worth buying 3 copies!

Fun fact: Star Ocean:TLH and Tales of Vesperia aren't released here in europe, end of june is release.

Oh, ouch, really? Damn, so much awesome coming to you guys in June. God, remind me never to move to Europe.

Dourin on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Just seconding/thirding Lost Odyssey. Mistwalker studios is a good chunk of the team that made the first 10 final fantasies (such as sakaguchi and uematsu), so it's some pretty good jrpg stuff. Another game by mistwalker is Blue dragon, which is now a bargain bin title. The plot's pretty simple and "kiddy" but it's still fun and charming, and will probably last you a good 40-50 hours at least. Has a great job system that reminds me of FFV.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh man, did you beat it yet? There are a ton of what the fuck plot hole moments right in the end (well, all throughout the game, really, but a ton happen right in a row at the finish). It's also a really short JRPG, too. It can be beaten in 20-30 hours, so that might not be what he's looking for.

I actually haven't even opened the shrink wrap yet. Busy, busy.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Eh, like I said, SO:TLH reminds me of Rogue Galaxy for the PS2, which I absolutely loved. That said, the story seems decent enough, and if he's ever sat through a traditional jrpg, the characters will be no surprise to him. The combat, though, is so much fun, there seem to be tons of side quests to do, as well as other things to keep you busy when you're not progressing through the story, and it has a decent enough story to keep you interested.

Honestly, though, how can you complain about the characters in SO:TLH, but yet mention nothing of the characters in Vesperia, and consider the characters in SO to be worse than those in Blue Dragon? :P

Well, I wasn't directly comparing the titles I talked about with each other. Now that I think about it, though, I probably do think the characters in Last Hope are worse than the ones in Blue Dragon. In Last Hope, they're pretty much all extremely annoying and whiny. The rest are just bland. In Blue Dragon, I don't recall wanting to strangle them as much or yelling at my PC for the cast to shut the fuck up, I just remember they had little to no character development. Really, all you did in the game was chase the bad guy for 60 hours and win.

Vesperia's characters I really enjoyed, specifically Yuri Lowell. I consider him to be one of the better JRPG protagonists out there. He's so bad ass. They do have kid characters in the game, two specifically (one is like 16, the other 12 or so), and neither of them annoyed me. In fact, their interactions with each other were quite hilarious. The combat, as I already said, is fast and fun. It's all real-time and you learn and level up artes by using them.

Infinite Undiscovery's characters, though? They were probably the worst characters I've ever had the misfortune of seeing on screen, specifically the twins. Ugh.

As far as story for Star Ocean: The Last Hope? It was completely unoriginal almost the entire way through. Everything was a cliche. Everything. It wasn't terrible like Infinite Undiscovery, it was just bland.

Oh, and Rogue Galaxy? Awesome game until the very end where it went Dragonball Z and ridden with cliches. It started off really interesting, finding a treasure planet, and then sunk to everything we've seen before.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man. Lots of people vouching for Lost Odyssey, and it does sound good, but the game breaking thing... Mmm. Damnit. I'm not sure.

I'll keep an eye on the bargain binds first and foremost and see what happens.

End of June releases aren't a problem, by the way. I'm heading off in early August, so that leaves a good month for people to get sick and tired of the games and stick them up on Goozex. ;-)

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, I wasn't directly comparing the titles I talked about with each other. Now that I think about it, though, I probably do think the characters in Last Hope are worse than the ones in Blue Dragon. In Last Hope, they're pretty much all extremely annoying and whiny. The rest are just bland. In Blue Dragon, I don't recall wanting to strangle them as much or yelling at my PC for the cast to shut the fuck up, I just remember they had little to no character development. Really, all you did in the game was chase the bad guy for 60 hours and win.

Vesperia's characters I really enjoyed, specifically Yuri Lowell. I consider him to be one of the better JRPG protagonists out there. He's so bad ass. They do have kid characters in the game, two specifically (one is like 16, the other 12 or so), and neither of them annoyed me. In fact, their interactions with each other were quite hilarious. The combat, as I already said, is fast and fun. It's all real-time and you learn and level up artes by using them.

Infinite Undiscovery's characters, though? They were probably the worst characters I've ever had the misfortune of seeing on screen, specifically the twins. Ugh.

As far as story for Star Ocean: The Last Hope? It was completely unoriginal almost the entire way through. Everything was a cliche. Everything. It wasn't terrible like Infinite Undiscovery, it was just bland.

Really, though, in SO's defense, haven't the stories for jrpg's routinely become cliched? I mean, there seems to be this very specific formula to which they all must strictly adhere, and they seem to have run out of new ways to tell the same story. This is why gameplay in jrpg's has become so important to me lately. Gameplay, and music, really. Which, I have to say, as awesome as Vesperia seems, it is most definitely severely lacking in musical variety. I was so glad to hear my girlfriend had beat the game, as it meant I would not have to listen to that damn circus theme again for a long while.

Dourin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man. Lots of people vouching for Lost Odyssey, and it does sound good, but the game breaking thing... Mmm. Damnit. I'm not sure.

I'll keep an eye on the bargain binds first and foremost and see what happens.

End of June releases aren't a problem, by the way. I'm heading off in early August, so that leaves a good month for people to get sick and tired of the games and stick them up on Goozex. ;)

I didn't come across anything game breaking when I played it. If you can find it for cheap, it's worth it. It's turn based with random battles, but they don't shove a ridiculous amount of them in your face like other games. You could go through an entire large area with only two or three random battles. The memories you can unlock are incredibly well done and actually made me cry a few times. Good stuff. The game does have twin children that join your party, naturally (dammit Japan), but I didn't find them to be too annoying.

The only other complaint I have is the direction the story took toward the end of the game. I wish Japanese developers would stick with the style and flow of the mystery and plot all the way through with their JRPGs. They do that cliche switch-a-roo with the plot seemingly so often. It's not too bad, though, much more bearable than Rogue Galaxy, and the characters are generally pretty fun and interesting.

Edit: I know I've been pointing out a lot of flaws, but I just want to give the most informed opinion I can. Some people may not like certain things, after all. :P

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Edit: I know I've been pointing out a lot of flaws, but I just want to give the most informed opinion I can. Some people may not like certain things, after all. :P

Absolutely, and I appreciate it. I probably will pick it up, I'm just leery of being stuck with a broken 4th disc. It sounds like that's a fairly common problem with the European version. Maybe I can avoid it by waiting until I get myself sorted out in Beijing and find it there, but then, that kind of defeats the purpose of finding games to bring with me.

Of course, I could buy it here, then if the fourth disc is broken, buy it again in China. Heh.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. I hope it's okay to give this a bit of a bump, so that perhaps I can get some more ideas.

To summarize what's been suggested:

Mass Effect
    Fallout 3
    GTA4
    Halo 3
    Oblivion
    Halo Wars

This first group are games that I've already played (the first four) or aren't really interested in.

The second group (featuring a conspicuous amount of JRPGs) are games that sound interesting while matching the criteria of playtime running many moons.

Lost Odyssey
    Sacred 2
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope
    Saints Row 2
    Tales of Vesperia
    Blue Dragon

I've listed them in order of interest based on what's been suggested so far and what I've read up on. However, three of those (Sacred 2, Star Ocean and Tales of Vesperia) aren't actually out in Europe yet, so there's no guarantee that I'll be able to pick them up, and I'll have plenty of Goozex points left over if I only get the other ones.

TL;DR: I'm still open for suggestions. Perhaps a few non-JRPGs. Given that I'll grab at least two, possibly three of these long-ass games already, I'll lower the bar and not even ask for a 40+ hour game. I'm looking at the 20+ hour mark. It's more important that it's fun to play and I won't feel like I missed out because I can't play it multi-player.

Legba on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's already been mentioned and you just said you want more non-JRPG suggestions, but I'm still going to throw out another vote for Tales of Vesperia. It's a fairly incredible game, and you would have to be intentionally burning through the game quickly in order to finish it in less than 40 hours (it took me well over 60, but I was also trying to do all the sidequests and stuff).

I loved Star Ocean as well, but I don't think I could recommend it over ToV.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Saint's Row 2 is a lot like Crackdown, a very fun version of GTA. It's impressively detailed, too, if a little shallow.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you want a long ass single player game, get Tales of Vesperia, seriously. The only game that I've sunk more time into on the 360 is Soul Calibur IV, but that's not exactly a good single player suggestion.

Tales of Vesperia has been the only console JRPG to hold my interest in a long time. I've got 95 hours into it and I'm just about to enter the final dungeon (I think, anyway). All of the characters are interesting, though some people seem to have a problem with Judith and Repede though. Repede's a dog, I don't really see how they could make him all that interesting, unless he could talk (which he can't). Judith has a very blunt, dry personality. If you like British humour, you'll find Judith hilarious. I know I do.

ToV has great character development. It's some of the best that I've seen in a JRPG. Every character is flawed in a very human way and it does affect the story. I've played too many RPGs where they forget this key aspect of character development and it really makes the characters unbelieveable. This is not the case in ToV. I'd say the character development is easily the best part of the game. Their interactions with one another are always interesting and mostly very humourous!

The combat system is fun and hasn't quite gotten old at the 95 hour mark. The combo system can get really intense and there's an achievement for getting a 100 hit combo. I've heard of people getting 500+ hits, which is insane. The combat can be really flashy and there's a lot of room for creative combos once you get the proper skills. There's tons of customization to be had.

I think ToV is the 2nd best RPG on 360, right behind Mass Effect.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest LO, I got bored of it at the third disc. It doesn't help that half the cast are completely forgettable and the cliche children party members are annoying as fuck. The game starts off great and hooked me, I won't deny it. I was rather enthralled by the story through the 2nd disc, then I just became apathetic.

You get the three most interesting characters near the beginning. Then you get the ol' bait and switch and the rest of the characters suck. The combat can be pretty challenging at times. Boss fights are tough. Random encounters are pretty meh. This is your standard turn based affair.

Get Tales of Vesperia, you won't regret it. It's well worth the price of admission. It's easily in my top 5 games of this gen.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So far my Xbox collection has been devoted mostly to short(ish) games with heavy multiplayer.

However, in a couple of month's time I'll be packing my bags and heading for China. From what I understand there's no Xbox Live available in Beijing, so multiplayer games are out. And since I have only a vague idea of what it'll be like buying new 360 games there, it might be best to bring a couple of games I haven't played yet with me.
    A bit off-topic, but may I ask how you're planning on transporting your 360? I know I'd personally be really worried about bringing my 360 on such a long journey. Do you have some awesome advice for console safety or anything?

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've probably clocked more hours on Pac-Man: Championship Edition than I have on any RPG. Also on XBLA, N+ & Gripshift both have a ton of levels and will take you a looong time to finish.

And you could probably get quite a lot of play time from the various brawlers on the system seeing as how most if not all of them have multiple difficulty levels: Devil May Cry 4, The Dishwasher: Undead Samurai (XBLA game) & Ninja Gaiden 2.

RainbowDespair on