As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harry Dresden: He's In The [Source]Book

Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed VigiloConfidoRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
HarryDresden.jpg

Harry Dresden – Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or
Other Entertainment.

The world is getting weirder. Darker every single day. Things are spinning around faster and faster, and threatening to go completely awry. Falcons and falconers. The center cannot hold.

But in my corner of the country, I’m trying to nail things down. … I don’t want to live in a world where the strong rule and the weak cower. I’d rather make a place where things are a little quieter. Where trolls stay the hell under their bridges, and where elves don’t come swooping out to snatch children from their cradles. Where vampires respect the limits, and where the faeries mind their p’s and q’s.

My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I’m in the book.

THE STATUS

It's been mentioned here in CF before, but the most recent thread was about 2 years ago, according to my search results.

Evil Hat Productions is preparing to release an RPG based on The Dresden Files series, by Jim Butcher. It has been through two rounds of Alpha playtesting, and they have announced that there will be no public Beta phase, as the designers believe enough information was gathered from the Alpha testing.

Currently, the project has no firmly announced release date. It would seem, however, that if the designers will be skipping Beta testing, that they must be getting fairly close to a somewhat-finished product. [/optimistic]

THE SYSTEM

The system will be an updated version of the Fate system, also published by Evil Hat. Central features of this system include fudge dice, attribute-compels, and stunt dice.

In addition, several character types (akin to classes) have been announced via the designers' blog:
  • Pure Mortal
  • Champion of God
  • Changeling
  • Emissary of Power
  • Focused Practitioner
  • Knights of the Faerie Courts
  • Lycanthrope
  • Minor Talent
  • Red Court Infected
  • Sorcerer
  • True Believer
  • Were-Creature
  • White Court Vampire

Personally, I can't wait. I'm particularly interested in the opportunity to play an Emissary of Power or a Knight of the Faerie Courts. The idea of having a master to whom I'm loyal in addition to my responsibilities to the party seems like it would provide interesting roleplay opportunities.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
Gandalf_the_Crazed on

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ach! I thought you were running a Alpha/Beta playtest! Dresden-tease! ;)

cytorak on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HOW COULD YOU!

I was getting all excited when I saw this, thinking either someone had some information or was going to run a game. I was all ready to get my wizard on.

Booooo

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This does seem like it was made with World of Darkness in mind.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The TV show was good, lol. I have too much to read to get the books.

Delmain on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    This does seem like it was made with World of Darkness in mind.

The first time I heard about the Dresden RPG, I thought of Monte Cook's World of Darkness. The magic system is dynamic enough to fit into the Dresdenverse, and if you change Demons to Fae, all of the major supernatural players are covered.

cytorak on
  • Options
    GrissGriss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    The TV show was good, lol. I have too much to read to get the books.
    The show was decent, yeah, but the books are a whole new layer of awesome.

I can't wait for this one to come out. I've been running character ideas through my head for the past 6 months.

Griss on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    Ach! I thought you were running a Alpha/Beta playtest! Dresden-tease! ;)

Oh, but I am!
    Sorry. My bad, didn't mean to create false hope.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would be all over this. Were-Creature or focused practioner for sure. What is a sorceror? those the ppl that use black magic?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    A sorcerer is someone who's not really powerful enough to make the White Council, but technically has "the gift". They're not generally an even match for a true wizard, but they're more than a minor annoyance.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yea i wanna be someone with some power that's not under the thumb of someone else. so most likely the focused practitioner. maybe a mind mage.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    A mind mage? Planning on breaking the Laws of Magic, then. :P

You better hope the rest of your party is either really unobservant, or really lax about black magic. ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dammit, you got my hopes up that they were actually releasing. Harrumph!

I am, however, totally looking forward to this game and will certainly run and/or play in a campaign when it's released. Count on it.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, this reminds me of how awesome the first book was. I need to get my hands on the second one, stat!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Funny you put this up now, I've just finished the most recent book. It's taken me about 2 weeks to read all 11(?), but they're really good fun. I'd definately want to play a character like Elaine, less power, more focus/accuracy.

Dresdens' 'Blast now, then blast a bit more later' is cool, but not my style.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This looks like it has potential to be awesome, but not going for a beta to fix stuff your people didn't see is a mistake. The random shit that joe schmoe can come up with just boggles the mind.

That stuff said, I'll be very interested in this myself. Ze books, they are awesome.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Regarding the lack of Beta... To be fair, it's not like RPG systems don't get house-ruled out the wazoo, even when there's no huge, glaring issues with the vanilla rules. A Beta is really just a chance to incorporate the most common house-rules people come up with anyway.

That said, yeah, it'd probably be better with a Beta. But....I'm ready for this shit to come out. :P

EDIT: My thought process on the release date is: Hey, they've decided not to have a Beta. That means they have reached a point where they have to plan the Beta dates. Which means they are pretty close to any Beta that would have happened. Since it's not happening, that means they're pretty close to planning a release date.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg