As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broken headphones makes Chen go something something

ChenChen Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll keep it simple. The right side of my headphones is dead unless I wiggle the wire near the connector plug.

What would be the best solution?
a) Buy a pack of stereo connectors and attempt to solder it together.
b) Go to a repair shop.
c) Buy new headphones.

Keep in mind that the warranty has expired, the price of said headphones is $50 and I have no soldering iron.

V0Gug2h.png
Chen on

• Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In my experience, having gone through MANY sets of expensive headphones and repairing them with solder, electrical tape, super glue, etc., the only answer is to buy new headphones. The repair is only temporary, it will keep breaking down with increasing frequency, thus pissing you off.

Next time you buy headphones, make sure the cord is replaceable. That is the lesson I learned.

Also, the strip that goes over your head CANNOT be plastic, nor the joints holding it together.

My Sennheisers died from lousy cord quality. My Plane Quiets died from shitty plastic quality. It's too bad that no headphone reviews take longevity into account, as both of those were highly rated when I bought them. Eventually I bit the bullet and got the Bose Quiet Comfort 2s. Replaceable cord and high quality materials, they have already outlasted any headphones I've ever had, and still in pristine condition. I justify the ridiculous price with the fact that I would have destroyed any other headphone by now, and been forced to buy another one.

Good luck!

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Usually, the problem is that, internally, the cable has snapped somewhere near the base. Do you wrap your earphones around your mp3 really tightly? don't.
    always give the ends of your cables some space..

unless these are brand-spanin'-new, i personally would just buy new ones.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I usually keep my headphones around my neck and mp3 player in the front pocket of my pants. What I think might be the source of the breakdown is that when I sit down the cord at the base bends a little. I thought headphones were supposed to be sturdier than earphones but I guess I was wrong.

It's a shame, because I only had it for a little over a year and they were super comfortable and portable, with clean bass, mids and highs. Going back to earbuds is almost torture.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Toastie ToastToastie Toast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't buy new headphones just yet!

You can buy a $5 DIY mini stereo jack and reassemble the connector part. No soldering required, as you can just strip the wires, connect them, and close the case.

Here's a relevant thread with many links to vendors
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/ultimate-diy-3-5mm-1-8-mini-jack-plug-collection-thread-410135/

Here's one of the places you can buy the mini jack
    http://www.audioadapter.com/Switchcraft-Mini-Connectors.html

Toastie Toast on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    I usually keep my headphones around my neck and mp3 player in the front pocket of my pants. What I think might be the source of the breakdown is that when I sit down the cord at the base bends a little. I thought headphones were supposed to be sturdier than earphones but I guess I was wrong.

It's a shame, because I only had it for a little over a year and they were super comfortable and portable, with clean bass, mids and highs. Going back to earbuds is almost torture.

When you say headphones are you looking primarily for ones at home or when you're out and about? It sounds like you meant for outside use but I've thrown in a recommendation for each just in case. I'd say just go with a new set though since as Chalkbot said, makeshift repairs just become more irritating over time as they start to fail more and more frequently.

I eventually went with a set of Sennheiser wireless headphones for home use and they are fantastic. No cord to worry about being damaged and they have great sound quality. And while are pricier than a normal set but you're not going to need to replace them any time soon.

If you're looking for something outside, these strike a nice medium between price and good sound. I'm still on my original set three years with fairly heavy use after I bought them and had no issues other than one of the retractable cables on the right side not holding its length occasionally.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Outside use mostly.

I've been looking and one that's standing out at the moment is the Sennheiser HD201. For $30 it seems like a bargain. Anyone have experience with that particular model? The customer reviews are raving, but it's no good if it breaks in a year time. For comparison's sake the headphones I last used was Audio Technica's ATH-SJ5.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png