As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I got the worst blister ever

TheDragonTheDragon Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Actually, I'm going to have the worst blister ever. I was just playing volleyball, and coming down from a spike I skidded on my bare heel, and some of my skin bunched up on my heel like a giant wrinkle. It felt really gross, but I pushed the skin back flat on my heel. Stopped playing obviously. There was no breakage through the skin amazingly, but 5 minutes later when I'm washing it off it's already getting dark from the blood pouring in the area. I can't walk on the heel, and it's extremely tender to put socks on, shoes on, etc.

So! I cancelled my paintball session for tomorrow and I'm going to stay off it all weekend. What else can I do to speed up the healing process?

If this swells up with fluid, should I lance and drain it?

This blister looks like the size of the circle made when you make the OK symbol with your fingers already. Too big for regular blister pads I think. Anyone have any suggestions how to protect it if I must walk? Someone just told me that hikers use something called moleskin? Anyone know if it's good?

TheDragon on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moleskin is good, but with the location and the size of that particular blister, I'm not sure how effective it would be; certainly worth a shot.

In my experience, blisters heal far better if you don't bother to lance and drain them. However, if you think the blister is likely to tear/burst if you don't lance and drain it, you should probably lance and drain it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lance it when it seems ready, but do it very softly, the smallest hole possible, squeeze out the fluid and leave the skin on it.

you may have to redrain it occaisionall

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've had some rough blisters. I usually just keep them sterile and wrapped up pretty tight with a bandage (you may have to use a gauze bandage if it's that big, especially given where it's located) and maybe smeared w/ neosporin to fight infection. Keep it up for a few days and it should go down without lancing. Stay off your feet as much as possible or you'll bust it and it'll hurt like a bitch. If that happens, once again just keep it clean and dry and you should be over it in a few days.

Usually when I do this on my blisters it leaves a big pocket of skin where the blister used to be, but with nothing under it. You should be able to get rid of it pretty easily with a pair of nail clippers or surgical scissors or something. But don't do this until you know the blister is 100% gone or once again, it'll hurt.

I usually get my blisters through friction and without blood, though, so no guarantees here.

Duffel on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lance it when it seems ready, but do it very softly, the smallest hole possible, squeeze out the fluid and leave the skin on it.

you may have to redrain it occaisionall

I usually do this. Eventually the fucked skin will fall off but it will provide some protection in the mean time.
    Blisters suck.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you have the time, leave it alone, stay off your foot and keep it as dry as possible. If you have to walk I use to use duct tape and build up an area of several layers around the blister so it's not contacting your shoe as much (Same thing moleskin does, only it's easier with tape when they are that big). I've only ever lanced them when I had to be back on my feet asap, otherwise leave it be.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy