As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC not recognizing my hard drive

MeisterMeister Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a new PC, but it can't even see my hard drive when I plug it it. I was using the hard drive with my old mac, so the hard drive still uses the mac file system, but I wanted to reformat it for the new PC. How can I make my PC see the hard drive?

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
Meister on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is the drive set to slave or master? That could very well be the problem.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it not seeing it in windows, or the BIOS doesn't detect it?

If its just windows, right click my computer and select manage. Look for Disk management on the left and select it. On the right it'll show all hard drives, including ones with unsupported file systems. From there you should be able to right click the drive and partition/format it.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ah, I was able to find it in Disk Management. I had to "initialize" it seemingly. So if I want to reformat the disk with NTFS, do I just right click on the disk in the Disk Management and create new simple volume? Is there anything fancy I need to do?

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I haven't used vista enough to know exactly, thankfully there's the Microsoft Knowledge base

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Meister wrote: »
    Ah, I was able to find it in Disk Management. I had to "initialize" it seemingly. So if I want to reformat the disk with NTFS, do I just right click on the disk in the Disk Management and create new simple volume? Is there anything fancy I need to do?

Make sure You delete the old partition before trying to create a new one.

Topweasel on