As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We need defined cell phone etiquette like Brett Favre needs to retire

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've worked in a convenience store for the past three years. Maybe my area is just full of incompetent douchebags (this is sarcasm) but most people who use a cellphone while I'm ringing them out are absolutely slowed down when they're using one. They're on the phone, not paying any attention to me or the credit machine if they have a card with them. It takes longer.

I also find it incredibly rude for someone to be talking on their phone. This is probably because in my area some level of polite conversation is expected from cashier and customer alike. It makes my day go better when a customer meets me halfway and the same is true when I'm a customer and the cashier does the same. I like engaging in polite conversation even if it is formulaic. If both parties are silent and moody then that interaction leaves me in a worse mood.

If you were on your cellphone and someone was trying to talk to you you wouldn't find it rude if you ignored them and continued your conversation? Now transplant that situation in the context of a money transaction in a store. You would say that you shouldn't have to engage people in conversation because it's unnecessary for the transaction to complete. Basically you are admitting you are just too lazy for light social interaction. Additionally, at least in my case, I interweave necessary cues and information in with my polite conversation. I have to tell people the total, when to swipe their card, when to push the debit or credit button. If you're on your cellphone you're going to miss all of this.

I also think the idea of allowing someone to finish their phone conversation before being rung out is a good one although it would make the transaction last longer and at that point I just want the douchebag out of my store because they couldn't spare me sixty seconds, as though I wasn't anything more than a fleshy talking cash register. Thanks for the respect.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I'd never use a cellphone in a line at a checkout, but I've never noticed it slowing down people who do, provided they are the sort of people who would do it quickly anyway. That guy who takes twice as long as it should have taken, would probably have taken twice as long anyway. I mean, is it so hard to have the wallet out and ready? People always seem shocked when they're asked to pay!

And thats not even mentioning people who write checks at grocery stores...

Kind of an ancillary issue is that often the douchebags (or baguettes) I get stuck behind in line are often carrying on a too-loud conversation about something completely ridiculous.

Writing checks at grocery stores used to be worse. When I first started, people had to fill it all out themselves, and would invariably wait until I gave them the total to start writing the thing out. Then we got new registers that printed out the check for the customer, and that was sooooo much better. This was before credit card POS transactions were used--I think we only took debit cards and that was rare. 95% of people paid cash or check. Crazy how things have changed in just over 10 years.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Paying by check is at least as annoying as talking on a cellphone during a routine checkout, though it can be much worse.

What's the general opinion on ringbacks? I think they're in the same boat as ringtones-- make sure they aren't irritating to listen to and be respectful with content. Right now, I have Doin' Time by Sublime as my ringback, but it's basically just a beat and "Summertime and the livin's easy", but when I apply for a real job next year, I'll be doing away with that as I think they're unprofessional.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I'd never use a cellphone in a line at a checkout, but I've never noticed it slowing down people who do, provided they are the sort of people who would do it quickly anyway. That guy who takes twice as long as it should have taken, would probably have taken twice as long anyway. I mean, is it so hard to have the wallet out and ready? People always seem shocked when they're asked to pay!

And thats not even mentioning people who write checks at grocery stores...

Kind of an ancillary issue is that often the douchebags (or baguettes) I get stuck behind in line are often carrying on a too-loud conversation about something completely ridiculous.

Writing checks at grocery stores used to be worse. When I first started, people had to fill it all out themselves, and would invariably wait until I gave them the total to start writing the thing out. Then we got new registers that printed out the check for the customer, and that was sooooo much better. This was before credit card POS transactions were used--I think we only took debit cards and that was rare. 95% of people paid cash or check. Crazy how things have changed in just over 10 years.

When I see someone starting to write a check I'll always change registers, because I know the ONLY reasons they have to write a check is...

i) They're afraid of the man tracking them, this means they wont want to show their ID for their check card
    ii) They're afraid of credit and banks, this means they have no idea how to write a check
    iii) They don't have enough money in their account to pay for it
    iv) They're incredibly old, too old to know what a card is, thus they likely can't use a pen

I've been in lines buying stuff behind people writing checks and waited so long I've been tempted just to buy their groceries for them to get things moving!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    archonwarp wrote: »
    Paying by check is at least as annoying as talking on a cellphone during a routine checkout, though it can be much worse.

What's the general opinion on ringbacks? I think they're in the same boat as ringtones-- make sure they aren't irritating to listen to and be respectful with content. Right now, I have Doin' Time by Sublime as my ringback, but it's basically just a beat and "Summertime and the livin's easy", but when I apply for a real job next year, I'll be doing away with that as I think they're unprofessional.

This is a problem I have had with nearly every cell phone I have owned over the past five years or so. Manufacturers want to put all these snazzy sounds for ringers on their phone when all I want is a simple ringing noise. Its why I have always liked the tones people pull from 24 or the codec sound from MGS. They are simple ringing sounds.

Having said that, I did indulge myself with a Mario Brothers ring tone. Even that though was only attached to friends numbers.

Edit: I have been with my mother when she paid with a check at the grocery store. I felt like a douch for feeling embarassed but thats really how I felt.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I've never heard one of these but its my understanding that it would be what I would hear on my phone if I called you? I think its possibly one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard, and would annoy me profusely if one of my friends did and cause me to mock them until my throat was sore, and then hold up a little sign mocking them further.

Why on earth would people calling you want to hear some of your music selection first? The 'ring ring' noise is no time for self expression.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SkannerJAT wrote: »

This is a problem I have had with nearly every cell phone I have owned over the past five years or so. Manufacturers want to put all these snazzy sounds for ringers on their phone when all I want is a simple ringing noise. Its why I have always liked the tones people pull from 24 or the codec sound from MGS. They are simple ringing sounds.

Having said that, I did indulge myself with a Mario Brothers ring tone. Even that though was only attached to friends numbers.

Edit: I have been with my mother when she paid with a check at the grocery store. I felt like a douch for feeling embarassed but thats really how I felt.

Choosing a ringtone is very different from choosing a ringback. A ringtone is for you, some people find it much easier to hear a song or whatever, so I forgive them silly ringtones, although I prefer just the old style ringer on the iPhone. Ringbacks (an idea which I'm still laughing about, as is everyone else in the office) are the silliest idea ever.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've never heard one of these but its my understanding that it would be what I would hear on my phone if I called you? I think its possibly one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard, and would annoy me profusely if one of my friends did and cause me to mock them until my throat was sore, and then hold up a little sign mocking them further.

Why on earth would people calling you want to hear some of your music selection first? The 'ring ring' noise is no time for self expression.

This.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They have no choice? They're calling me; they can deal with it. For all intents and purposes, I have the equivalent of elevator music for my ringback. My Ringback. From the beginning to 0:17 is about what plays. Even the oldest churchgoing people I know wouldn't mind hearing that when they called me.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have called businesses before that had some annoying shit for ringbacks. I know it was music but it was so loud and obnoxious I couldnt tell what it was and didnt care to find out. I know it would definately make me think twice about calling them for anything again just because its unprofessional.

Yours may be different, hell, it might even be professional in the same sense as hold music for some companies. Just my run-ins with it have been less then positive.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They have no choice? They're calling me; they can deal with it. For all intents and purposes, I have the equivalent of elevator music for my ringback. My Ringback. From the beginning to 0:17 is about what plays. Even the oldest churchgoing people I know wouldn't mind hearing that when they called me.

You know what I like to do? Kick people in the crotch who ring my doorbell. They didn't have to come to my door. If they don't like it they don't have to knock on my door.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »

You know what I like to do? Kick people in the crotch who ring my doorbell. They didn't have to come to my door. If they don't like it they don't have to knock on my door.

You know what I like to do? Strawman people by comparing a non-offensive ringback tone with unwarranted physical violence. Oh wait, that's not me, that's you.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

You know what I like to do? Strawman people by comparing a non-offensive ringback tone with unwarranted physical violence. Oh wait, that's not me, that's you.

He never said a non-offensive tone was the same as physical violence. He was just pointing out how stupid the "they are trying to contact me, they should be willing to put up with whatever I want in order to do so" justification is.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »

He never said a non-offensive tone was the same as physical violence. He was just pointing out how stupid the "they are trying to contact me, they should be willing to put up with whatever I want in order to do so" justification is.

It's a bullshit comparison, which ought to go without saying. That's not my justification. My justification is that there is nothing wrong with having my ringback tone. The burden of proof that it is somehow a bad thing isn't mine to deal with.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    To say nothing of the fact that it's a service nobody likes and at best simply doesn't care about. It's annoying some people to entertain no one. Like novelty voice mail.

Quid on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, instead of the "kick in the crotch greeting" comparison, I'd compare it to, I dunno, a novelty doormat that plays tinny music whenever you step on it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoy a good ringback tune sometimes. Like "oh hey I haven't listened to that in a while."

edit: and the apt analogy would be one of those weird doorbells that plays a jingle, I would think

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought about the doorbell, but the doorbell mostly sounds to people in the house, not the person trying to get in. I think a musical doorbell would be the equivalent of a custom ringtone... assuming it was loud enough for all your neighbors to hear it as well.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    To say nothing of the fact that it's a service nobody likes and at best simply doesn't care about. It's annoying some people to entertain no one. Like novelty voice mail.

YOU don't like it. YOU think it's annoying. Lots of people do like it. I see cellphone accounts all the time and ringbacks are very popular.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure you can justify the likability of ringbacks with the fact that a lot of people have them; those people aren't the ones listening to them.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I associate ringback tones with white guys with cornrows who end every sentence with "ya get me?".

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    japan wrote: »
    I associate ringback tones with white guys with cornrows who end every sentence with "ya get me?".

I associate them with kids whose parents get nickel-and-dimed to fuck by phone companies because they (the kids) bought a bunch of worthless shit to pimp out their phone.

edit: so I guess we pretty much agree.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quid wrote: »

YOU don't like it. YOU think it's annoying. Lots of people do like it. I see cellphone accounts all the time and ringbacks are very popular.
    That's because they're not the ones listening to it. People like to have others listen to their music, plenty more hear someone else's and wonder why they have to listen to a crappy song.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now, if they made a service that let you choose a song you wanted to hear instead of a ring tone, that would make sense. But instead I get stuck with listening to Fergie while calling someone repeatedly to find out why they haven't shown up to work.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Plus, no matter how much I like a song, I'm not going to enjoy listening to the first 8 seconds of it (in shitty phone-quality sound) and then have it interrupted by a "hello?" In fact, I can't think of a more sure way to make me hate a song than having that happen over and over.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My ringtone is bananaphone.

Almost everyone that hears it likes it.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Shadow_Dancer88Shadow_Dancer88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    My ringtone is bananaphone.

Almost everyone that hears it likes it.

Bleh. Do not get that. Then again, Bananaphone will only ever remind me of Raffi, and I wish to punch Raffi in the face most the time so this could be why. (Raffi is a childrens artist who does bananaphone)

But, that just goes to show that there will never be anything that everyone agrees on. Even if lots of people do agree upon it. *shrug* Which is why I think its polite to keep your ringtones on a lower volume.

SteevL wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Oh man, this happens a lot at the library. We also have this one guy who complains to us any time someone is on a cellphone near him, and it's not because he's bothered by the noise. He thinks the "radiation" from the phone is going to kill him so we have to tell the other person to take their call outside, regardless of how loud they are. Of course, this guy also uses one of our privacy screens when he's on a PC because he thinks it's protecting him from the "radiation", so he's a kook.

We're pretty relaxed about cellphone use at the library, but it bothers me when someone starts asking me for something while still on the phone. Usually when I'm asked for information on a subject, I'll have to ask a few followup questions to clarify what they want. If they're on the phone, I can either interrupt them to get this clarification, or I can just wait for them to get off the phone, but either way they get annoyed with me.

I'm assuming you are full librarian status or close, and work at a customer service or info desk. And seeing how they run, I can understand that being completly annoying. If someone approaches you and expects you to answer something or do something for them, they should show enough courtesy to get off the phone for that amount of time.

My favorite is the people who have their ringtones on ten while at the library. If you are sitting at the front and I'm shelving books in the back, I shouldn't know you have a phone call. Though as long as phones are on vibrate, and they talk like they normally would I don't care if they are on their phone while I work. (I also work at a library.)

Actually, I just tend to dislike loud ringtones in general when I'm in public places. I can understand why ringtones are cool, but I don't think the entire store or park needs to hear them. You can still generally hear your ringtone on a lower level. I prefer a middle to vibrate level for my own phone.

Yeah, I'm a librarian. Ringtones bother my coworkers and I a lot, although we often have to hold back our laughter and/or hide under the desk when the hardcore gangsta rap ringtone goes off. Most people are embarrassed when their phones ring here and will quickly answer, say "I'm at the library, I'll call you back" and hang up.

I really don't understand the people who blatantly call someone up and talk loud enough to be heard at the other end of the building, though. While it's true that libraries aren't necessarily the quiet places they used to be, most people have a low tolerance for that kind of crap.

Regardless, if another person complains about someone on the phone, I'm obligated to tell that person that he/she is disturbing other people in the building, and would you kindly take the call outside, thanks.

Lucky! I can't tell people to stop or ask them to be quieter, I'm too far down the totem pole. I have to go get a higher up to do it for me. Though I don't hesitate to report anyone causing a disturbance.

Like you said, I can get having quick phone calls or answering to say where they are, and yeah, we are a community place, not the libraries of old, but that doesn't mean you should sit at one of our study tables and make several business calls while doing your work on your laptop for the next two hours. That is what a home office is for.

Shadow_Dancer88 on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is my ringtone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0BF5d3TvWY

Because I'm insane like that.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My ringtone is the opening "na naaaaaaa na na na na na naaaa na naaaa..." from Katamari Damacy. It's the least annoying "ring" tone I've used.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For me, cell phone étiquette is pretty simple : the person right in front of me take precedence over my phone.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Jean wrote: »
    For me, cell phone étiquette is pretty simple : the person right in front of me take precedence over my phone.

What if the person in front of you is baby Hitler, and the person on the phone is an angry warlord with ten hostages?

What then, hotshot?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Seriously though, FUCK ringback tones.

Fuck them right in the urethra.

Kagera on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

They come preinstalled in some phones now.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

They come preinstalled in some phones now.

Urethras? That's great!

Kagera on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My ringtone rings like a phone. Crazy, I know.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What is a ringback tone? Is that the tone that you get when you ring someone - because if it is, damm I fucking hate that. Best single way to make me angry when I call you is to have that

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I don't think I'd mind, the regular ringing sound is boring anyway. Of course, my friends haven't discovered ringback nor setting it as "Oh Nick please not so quick" by E-rotic, so I may be speaking too soon.

In any case, what I hate is the standard Nokia ringtone. Every gods damned ancient person has it, ever, and they refuse to change it. It's like I'm mentally kicked in the head every time I hear it and I have to plug my ears so that brain matter doesn't leak out.

Ninja edit: Oh god, the Nokia ringtone as ringback, I could never call anyone who has that without throwing my phone into a wall and breaking down into a crying wreck of a man.

Paragon on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Paragon wrote: »

I don't think I'd mind, the regular ringing sound is boring anyway. Of course, my friends haven't discovered ringback nor setting it as "Oh Nick please not so quick" by E-rotic, so I may be speaking too soon.

In any case, what I hate is the standard Nokia ringtone. Every gods damned ancient person has it, ever, and they refuse to change it. It's like I'm mentally kicked in the head every time I hear it and I have to plug my ears so that brain matter doesn't leak out.

Ninja edit: Oh god, the Nokia ringtone as ringback, I could never call anyone who has that without throwing my phone into a wall and breaking down into a crying wreck of a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ikbWwQ2dI

The only reason I can imagine for getting a ringback is playing I'm On a Boat whenever I'm on a boat.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay I really liked The Nokia fugue. I could totaly see myself playing the purple part on my Bass Clarinet with the Quartet I played with in High School. It would be totaly fun. But the oboe and flute would have to double the orange and the bflat Clarinet on the green. I need a score like now!

Damn you now I want to find those people from 13 years ago, record it, and use it as a ringtone!

Ringback tones are not heard in Canada or at least nobody I know is a douche like that.

My Husband does have a bunch of clips from 8bit Nintendo days for ring tones and message notifications. They are kinda neat and not really annoying.

I recently got a Blackberry 8330 Curve and I love being able to assign a specific ring toneto each caller or group. I mostly use my phone though for an MP3 player (hey its always with me and I need to have music in the car) and for getting ferry scheduales and the like. I tend to put it on silent when at work so it won't annoy anyone who happens to be near it if it goes off.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Paragon wrote: »

Ha! Everytime I hear that ring tone, in my head I always imagine a British man screaming at the top of his lungs "WHAT?! NO, IT'S OKAY, I CAN TALK!" on a giant cell phone.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg