As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing: you're serious?

• Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The best kart racer on 360 and PS3, but not quite the Mario Kart-beater we’d hoped for
    Not much to compare it to, but still.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Demo is up on XBL.

And it's coming down sooooo slowwwwwwly. 46% after an hour -_-

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll try the demo again later, but I wasn't too impressed with it. The controls seemed a little off, and there was way too much slowdown going on.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    The best kart racer on 360 and PS3, but not quite the Mario Kart-beater we’d hoped for
    Not much to compare it to, but still.

Viva Pinata Party Animals has a surprisingly fun Mario Kart-esque element to it. Too bad it's mixed with a surprisingly unfun Mario Party-esque element.

Opium on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bonanza Bros. are playable characters.

Sold. Well done SEGA, have my money.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The demo was kinda meh, which is disappointing. I'll try it again later, but for now, I dunno about this one.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's OK, not as good as Mario Kart obviously, and there is a really annoying random element to how you finish. Basically the powerups seemingly just smash up play so frequently and randomly if you win it is a fluke.

Like Mario Kart in that regard, I suppose.

It looks rather nice though, the sheer SEGA-ness of it all is quite fun in itself. The controls get better after a few goes but are far from perfect, and the course design could be better. But it is a decent effort.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Played a bit of the demo. I like it, but not enough to pay $50. Will grab it when it hits the $30 price point.

Though this is really making me tempted to go out and buy Sega Superstars Tennis for the 360. I own it for the Wii but 360 so shiney.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Has anything been said about the soundtrack aside from the main theme?

Only that it won't be as good's as Sonic R's.

Well you can only go up from Sonic R.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I enjoyed Sonic R.

Though if I had bought it for any more then $8 I probably would have been pissed

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Played a bit of the demo. I like it, but not enough to pay $50. Will grab it when it hits the $30 price point.

Though this is really making me tempted to go out and buy Sega Superstars Tennis for the 360. I own it for the Wii but 360 so shiney.

If you get it I'll play online. I got it with the arcade disc at Gamestop for like $8. Best value ever.

And honestly, I didnt LOVE the demo, but you know what has me waiting for this to hit $14.99?

THE MUSIC.

Hearing the music of that seaside Sonic Adventure level as I raced, and then hearing it switch to Jet Grind's music when Beat got a power-up was too much nostalgia to resist.

I love how Sega knows EXACTLY WHAT I need to feel nostalgic enough to buy something, and will put Ulala, Beat, fucking RYU, and the awesome Sonic music in a game -- but will not TOUCH these things outside making them drive carts or play some sports they have NO BUISNESS BEING INVOLVED IN.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    I enjoyed Sonic R.

Though if I had bought it for any more then $8 I probably would have been pissed

The game is only fun when you're super sonic and that's because you can skip 90% of every poorly designed track.

Also it had one good song which I might add does not make up for the rest of the soundtrack.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

If you get it I'll play online. I got it with the arcade disc at Gamestop for like $8. Best value ever.

And honestly, I didnt LOVE the demo, but you know what has me waiting for this to hit $14.99?

THE MUSIC.

Hearing the music of that seaside Sonic Adventure level as I raced, and then hearing it switch to Jet Grind's music when Beat got a power-up was too much nostalgia to resist.

I love how Sega knows EXACTLY WHAT I need to feel nostalgic enough to buy something, and will put Ulala, Beat, fucking RYU, and the awesome Sonic music in a game -- but will not TOUCH these things outside making them drive carts or play some sports they have NO BUISNESS BEING INVOLVED IN.

Hmm...

I'll have to think about it. I wasn't super-enamored with the game in the first place and I'd only be getting it for the 360 for the better graphics and I'm not sure exactly how much improved it could be in the first place.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

THE MUSIC.

Hmm...

I'll have to think about it. I wasn't super-enamored with the game in the first place and I'd only be getting it for the 360 for the better graphics and I'm not sure exactly how much improved it could be in the first place.

You do realize that's a pre-owned game, right? The bane of your existence for some reason?

At any rate, it also comes with a few Live games, so it's well worth five bucks even if you already have it for Wii.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Has anything been said about the soundtrack aside from the main theme?

Oh my god, I just listened to the theme tune.

WHAT THE FUCK.

I was going to buy this.

Fuck you sega. Why do you build me up ((build me up) buttercup baby) just to let me down?!?!

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

THE MUSIC.

Hmm...

You do realize that's a pre-owned game, right? The bane of your existence for some reason?

At any rate, it also comes with a few Live games, so it's well worth five bucks even if you already have it for Wii.

I have most of those Arcade games, and at $5 pre-owned isn't so bad.

Pre-Owned at above $20? No thank you.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For those wondering who the PS3 owners get in their demo as a replacement for Banjo, it's Dr. Eggman. While Sonic is something of an all-rounder (albeit with max turbo), Eggman's purely biased towards speed; max speed and near-max turbo, at the cost of only a half-full bar of handling, and even less acceleration. Could be one for the experts.

EDIT - Turns out it's a different course too; Rampart Road from the Billy Hatcher set of tracks.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    For those wondering who the PS3 owners get in their demo as a replacement for Banjo, it's Dr. Eggman. While Sonic is something of an all-rounder (albeit with max turbo), Eggman's purely biased towards speed; max speed and near-max turbo, at the cost of only a half-full bar of handling, and even less acceleration. Could be one for the experts.

EDIT - Turns out it's a different course too; Rampart Road from the Billy Hatcher set of tracks.

Huh. Sackboy or Kratos would have made more sense as an exclusive character.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Except there aren't any non-SEGA characters like there are in the 360 version. At least, not unless they add them as DLC...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Wii version gets Miis. This makes me happy.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh god... the demo has started my time attacking habit off again...

sasasrdemorecord.jpg

That was taking the shortcut; managed a 3:02 with Eggman, but I have problems lining up the jump with him. Without taking shortcuts, Eggman's a 3:04, with Sonic about half a second behind.

Probably about time I turned up the difficulty from Beginner. :)

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I tried the PS3 demo today... I'll probably need to rent it and try a few other characters/tracks before deciding. Hearing the Billy Hatcher theme made me want to find a copy of that and give it another try, though. :P

Cute comic, spoiled for V-Scroll:
    bro-botnik-SASASR-Comic-1.jpg

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Kratos? Seriously, I couldn't disagree with that more. Not only would you not been able to get the ultraviolence in there (which would be the only real point of having Kratos) I think he'd probably be the most out of place character in a cart racer ever.

Ratchet/Clank would have been a much better choice.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Kratos? Seriously, I couldn't disagree with that more. Not only would you not been able to get the ultraviolence in there (which would be the only real point of having Kratos) I think he'd probably be the most out of place character in a cart racer ever.

Isn't the guy from Shenmue already in there?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When I saw Banjo and Kazooie were in this I was hoping for a successor to Diddy Kong Racing.

God I really want a modern version of that beautiful, beautiful game.

edit: Also, Sonic should have been on foot.

815165 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Kratos would be MORE out of place.

EDIT: Also, that comic was great.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Dude raced forklifts. I think he knows what he's in for.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh god, I'd almost buy the game just for that. I needs me more R&C. Jak&Daxter would also work. Or Sly Cooper. Hell, there's loads of Sony-specific mascots they could've used.

Glal on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What the hell happened to Crash Bandikoot or whatever?

815165 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's still getting horrible DS and PS2 games.

[edit] Last game 2 years ago: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/crash-bandicoot-series

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Found a site with some pics of the character select screen, with stats and specials for all except the Miis. Here's the stats:

Character.......Speed.Accel.Handl.Turbo
    Amigo.............5.....9....10.....4..
    Ryo...............5.....9.....9.....6..
    Alex Kidd.........5....10.....9.....4..
    Opa Opa...........5....10.....9.....4..
    Shadow............5.....9.....9.....6..
    Knuckles..........5.....9....10.....4..

Sonic.............6.....8.....6....10..
    Ulala.............6.....8.....8.....6..
    Tails.............6.....8.....8.....6..
    AiAi..............6.....8.....6.....8..

Beat..............7.....7.....6.....8..
    B.D. Joe..........7.....7.....6.....8..
    Bonanza Bros......7.....8.....7.....7..
    Amy...............7.....8.....7.....7..
    Billy Hatcher.....7.....8.....7.....7..
    360 Avatar........7.....8.....7.....7..

Zobio & Zobiko....9.....5.....4....10..
    Jacky & Akira.....9.....5.....4....10..
    ChuChus...........9.....5.....4.....9..
    Big...............9.....5.....4.....9..

Dr. Eggman.......10.....4.....5.....9..
    Banjo & Kazooie..10.....4.....5.....9..

Just from that, I can tell almost everyone will be trying to grab Sonic online, since he's the only one with high turbo and decent accereration/handling... I'll probably go for either one of the balanced ones, or Jacky & Akira.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/two-pieces-of-sonic-r-music-in-asr
    Do you like fan service? Do you like the music in the SEGA Saturn and PC game Sonic R? Planning on picking up Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing? Well you’ll be glad to hear that two songs from Sonic R are in your new racing game. Composed by TJ Davis(the singer) and Richard Jacques(the music) the songs that will featured are Super Sonic Racing and Can You Feel The Sunshine, two songs that are still loved by the Sonic fan base to this very day.

Yessss. I'm one of the 6 people who love the Sonic R Soundtrack (and one of the two who aren't ashamed to admit it), so this makes me really happy. I wonder if they'll use the versions with lyrics or without.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really hope some of you guys are getting this on PS3, because I need some decent competition. Especially after this race:

sasasrnewrecordonexpert.jpg

New record, and I set it on Expert... O_o

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ALEX KIDD! YES!!

His helicopter is his special!!

I'M SO HAPPY!

I'll be gettng it on PS3.

jaziek on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll be grabbing the 360 demo tomorrow.

There's a demo up right?

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I really hope some of you guys are getting this on PS3, because I need some decent competition. Especially after this race:

I can't even get remotely close to that. Is that with the shortcut or without?

jaziek on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    jaziek wrote: »

I can't even get remotely close to that. Is that with the shortcut or without?

With the shortcut. I could probably eke out a few more tenths, since I messed up tricking the final jump on lap 3, plus the only items I picked up were shields and mines.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Man I can't even break 3 minutes

jaziek on
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man BlitzAce, I've got a question for you.

I race ok, I enjoy the racing.

However, it seems like every single time I'm doing well, a weapon hailstorm of legendary proportions is dumped on me. Hell, even when I'm not doing well, I'm getting blown to smithereens left and right.

What is the secret to your success!?

Princepeach on