As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3 2009 thread: Ask the developers questions!

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
The E3 floor show starts on Tuesday and I'm going to be on camera interviewing as many devs as possible. So here's the deal, we all know for the most part what games are going to be shown at E3 this year, and I want to give you guys the opportunity to post any serious questions you might have for me to ask the devs. I'm not making any guarantees, and it's not like I'll be reading off any of your names and giving you props as I ask these questions. What this will do is give me some material to work with and save me some time so that I can worry about other pre-show preparations, while allowing you to get your questions answered.

If you want to ask some questions make sure to first list the name of the game or developer and then list your questions underneath the game/dev. Don't mix all your questions together clearly categorize them.

Here is an example;

Game: Prototype

Question 1: How long is the game?

Question 2: bla bla bla

Game: Duke Nukem Forever

Question 1: bla bla bla

Developer: EA

Question 1: What are EA's plan for...?

Personality: Tim Shafer

Question 1: What inspired you to work on Psychonauts?

System: PSP-Go!

Question: bla bla bla

I think we all get the idea now, so ask away and don't think that any question is too small or stupid!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mass Effect 2. That is all.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raere wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2. That is all.

Ok people this is a good example of a stupid person and how not to give a real reply in this thread. :lol:

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Assassin's Creed II:

How are you addressing the complaints about the first game's repetitiveness?

Darlan on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed II:

How are you addressing the complaints about the first game's repetitiveness?

This is an excellent example of how this thread is supposed to work.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I apologize.

Any Bioware Dev:

Question: Tell me everything you know about Mass Effect 2 including a rough release or demo date.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fifa 2011, Are you expanding the training and pre-game schematics? While great fun and perhaps the best addition to the franchise to date i feel there is huge scope to add defenders and other types of training exercises to give the game an authentic feel

If you ask the question, i will love you forever

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Battlefield Bad Company 2:

Will there be a dev tool release for the PC version? How robust will the tools be? What're some of the improvements you've made to the damage models of buildings?

All Points Bulletin:

What kind of weapon selection is planned to be available in game? Will the game have DLC or content patches that must be payed for? What sort of features will "guilds" in APB have access to?

Halo 3: ODST

What were some of the improvements you made to the campaign that were a result of a feedback from the Halo 3 campaign? How awesome is Marty's soundtrack for this game? Will we ever have the chance to play from the perspective of the Covenant ever again?

Splinter Cell: Convictions:

Is the policy of Save anywhere still in effect? How in depth is the crowd AI? What sort of weapons will the player have access to? What sort of environments will be present in the game?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno if somebody from Sucker Punch is going to be there, or a Sony representative who would 'know', but...(And sorry for the lack of real clarity on this, as I doubt it could even be answered)
    Developer/Personality: Sucker Punch/Someone in the know of the PS Store or PSN in general

Question: Is the soundtrack going to get put on the PS Store or at least come out in a physical form?

If you can't find somebody who would have the ability to answer that, it's fine, as I'm sure even if you asked, they'd probably not be able to comment, but hey, it's worth a shot! And I know it's kind of a tiny question all things considered but I really want the damn soundtrack.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I dunno if somebody from Sucker Punch is going to be there, or a Sony representative who would 'know', but...(And sorry for the lack of real clarity on this, as I doubt it could even be answered)
    Developer/Personality: Sucker Punch/Someone in the know of the PS Store or PSN in general

Question: Is the soundtrack going to get put on the PS Store or at least come out in a physical form?

If you can't find somebody who would have the ability to answer that, it's fine, as I'm sure even if you asked, they'd probably not be able to comment, but hey, it's worth a shot! And I know it's kind of a tiny question all things considered but I really want the damn soundtrack.

I assume you mean the Infamous soundtrack.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry in the style so accustomed

EA Sports, FIFA2010

Question 1:
    Have you expanded on the training/pre game schematics, if so how?

Question 2:
    Have you expanded the Be a Pro gameplay mode, if so have you balanced it so its harder this year?

If you can that would be swell :D

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

I assume you mean the Infamous soundtrack.

Oops, yeah. I had it in there originally as "Game: inFamous" and then changed it around. Sorry about that!

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Battlefield Bad Company 2:

Will there be a dev tool release for the PC version? How robust will the tools be? What're some of the improvements you've made to the damage models of buildings?

All Points Bulletin:

What kind of weapon selection is planned to be available in game? Will the game have DLC or content patches that must be payed for? What sort of features will "guilds" in APB have access to?

Halo 3: ODST

What were some of the improvements you made to the campaign that were a result of a feedback from the Halo 3 campaign? How awesome is Marty's soundtrack for this game? Will we ever have the chance to play from the perspective of the Covenant ever again?

Splinter Cell: Convictions:

Is the policy of Save anywhere still in effect? How in depth is the crowd AI? What sort of weapons will the player have access to? What sort of environments will be present in the game?

updated :D

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alpha Protocol - Obsidian Entertainment:
    Some games that utilize stealth as a large component render it largely useless in situations such as boss battles or final stages of the game. Will you be making stealth a viable strategy throughout the game for your spy RPG?

Left 4 Dead - Valve:
    Are there any plans to make the hunting rifle a more viable option in versus mode?

Tertiee on
  • Options
    wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout: Las Vegas - Obsidian Entertainment:

How does your design philosophy differ from Bethesda's? Do you intend to retain V.A.T.S., freeform exploration of the Wasteland and the use of radio stations?

wishda on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alpha Protocol - Obsidian

The reverse of Tertiee's question. If I choose to develop my dude as a straight shooter guy or melee guy, while I be forced to try and be stealthy in some missions because it fits the story?

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kojima Productions:

Question: What the hell are you guys actually working on?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Valve - Team Fortress 2:

Do you have any plans to add any more classes?

Edit - I'd also like to add to the question - Also, do you plan on releasing Female models?

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Valve:

Are there any plans for longer meet-the-class style videos after Pyro and Medic are done? Minifilms? Macrofilms?

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    EA Sports regarding NHL 10:

Question 1: Why is it not coming to Wii?

Long version of Question 1:
    Why is it that NHL 10, the latest in a series of sports games that has been on multiple platforms for approximately two decades now, will not be appearing on the current market leading platform for the third* straight year?

Feel free to ask either one, or even tweak them a bit if you need to.

* = I think it's third, but could it actually be the fourth year now?

Question 2 (If the answer involves controls): Why can't you include Classic Controller or Gamecube controller support?

Thanks.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brütal Legend:

Are there any plans for a PC version? It's sad when awesome games are released for Xbox 360 and PS3, but not for PC.
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Valve:

Are there any plans for longer meet-the-class style videos after Pyro and Medic are done? Minifilms? Macrofilms?

Have you read this?

Peewi on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PSP-Go!
    How do you plan to attract digital download-oriented game developers to the PSP-Go!? How do you plan to split revenues with them?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a question for a game I fear will get lost in the chaos of E3 and all the big name releases will get all the media coverage, but its a game I recently found out about and it interests me.

Developer: Hi Rez Studios
    Game: Global Agenda

How is the PvE content in the game set up? How much is there, how do you access it, whats the standard group size, how good is the AI, etc. Will there be end-game PvE 'raids' involving larger groups of players?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you get a chance to speak to Bioware:

Dragon Age Origins:

Is the current marketing to draw console gamers in or does this refelect the game? Will we be slaying beasts listening to death metal? Do you consider this to be in the "spirit of Baldurs Gate"?

Do you have any concrete plans for modules to be released over Xbox Live?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Dragon Age Origins:

Is the current marketing to draw console gamers in or does this refelect the game? Will we be slaying beasts listening to death metal? Do you consider this to be in the "spirit of Baldurs Gate"?

I fully support slaying beasts while listening to death metal.

Though if you're implying that the music in that trailer is death metal... :x

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Atlus USA:

Who is the most sweetdiculous member of your staff?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

Dragon Age Origins:

I fully support slaying beasts while listening to death metal.

Though if you're implying that the music in that trailer is death metal... :x

:lol:

I was generalising, it's the content and theme of the trailer that bothers me, trying so hard to be "dark"

You can listen to Frank Zappa while playing the game for all I care, I think the in game music should resemble the kind we had in BG2 and the like. Call it Twee but it adds atmosphere.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rocksteady Studios:

Are there any plans to have more downloadable playable characters in Batman Arkham Asylum?

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can listen to Frank Zappa while playing the game

I also fully endorse this. :P

I know what you mean, and yeah the music in that trailer is a pretty ridiculous choice.

Though it would be nice if it does something more than the usual fantasy orchestral malarkey.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now that the MS press conference is over I expect a flood of new questions.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Insomniac Games
    Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
    Will the time-travel elements be a gameplay mechanic? Will you be able to move back and forth through time at will to solve puzzles, or is it merely a story device, with time-travel events occuring at specific moments throughout the narrative?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, if you see Kojima tell him to watch his back - he'll be getting death threats if MGS:R isn't multiplatform.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Left 4 Dead 2

Are there any chances of being able to play the new campaigns with the old characters and the old campaigns with the new characters and various improvements? Assuming of course that you own both the old and the new game.

Is Left 4 Dead 2 a full price game?

Making a sequel in a year seems different than what Valve have done in the past. Why not have it be an update or expansion pack?

Peewi on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucasarts/Telltale - Monkey Island (either):

If the new Monkey Islands do well, is there a possibility of continuing any more LucasArts franchises through Telltale? Or remaking, or at least re-releasing the old games?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halo: Reach:

Will we play as a Spartan or a Marine (with a Republic Commando style squad? ohgodplease)

Arrath on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Epic Games
    Shadow Complex
    How do you plan to set your game apart from past games in the genre, aside from nice graphics and big enemies? How do you plan to reach gamers who do not usually play this genre?

Bungie
    Halo: Reach
    How do you plan to create emotional intensity in your game given that most of your players will know that Reach falls in the end?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just an FYI, you can continue asking questions through the week. But be forewarned if you ask a question on Wednesday, and I already interviewed the guy corresponding to it on Tuesday, you are shit out of luck.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone from Ubisoft - What in the unholy hell were you thinking?

Bungie - Why did you decide to make another Halo game after saying you were done with Halo games?

Volition (No idea if they're even there, buuuuut) - What are you working on next (or alternatively, When is Freespace 3 coming out?)?

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's one I'd like to see thrown at Tim Schaefer, if you can manage.

Have you ever had to compromise the story you wanted to tell for the technology available to you? How do you make the writing and game design mesh together?

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am at the show too, I am always willing to investigate stuff to help PAers.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucasarts/Telltale - Monkey Island (either):

If the new Monkey Islands do well, is there a possibility of continuing any more LucasArts franchises through Telltale? Or remaking, or at least re-releasing the old games?

Also to Telltale: We were told last year that we'd get Sam and Max Season Three starting in early 2009, so where is it?

JONJONAUG on