As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Zeppel-On] The Saboteur: French star nipples and Nazi racing on Dec. 8

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    snip

Oh, and the plot has something to do with nuclear weapons being developed by the Germans and is filled to the brim with historical inaccuracies. For something that was marketed as a serious take on the French resistance, this game is very hard to take seriously.

I don't recall this ever being marketed as a serious take on the French resistance. Just that it's an over the top WW2 movie style open world game where you happen to be working for the French resistance. It's been shown as trying to capture the action movie style (like Uncharted) instead of a realistic WW2 game. For example, they've always shown and said that the main character can scale any building - that should've raised alarm bells against realism for you since the beginning.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    This game went from sounds great to looks awful.

Pandemic.jpg

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't even care how crazy the story is or anything.

If the game controls better than Mercs 2, I'm all for giving it a shot when it drops in price. Really drops.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aside from the quicklook there has been little to no media surrounding the game.
    That being said, what I have seen doesn't look bad at all.

Also the game leaked sometime today, and rumor has it that it was leaked by Pandemic...
    http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=17889

EDIT: Upon further google fu-ing I found some great videos of the game

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/open-world-the-saboteur/58947

DOUBLE EDIT: You can shoot down a fucking Zeppelin!!!

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    snip

Oh, and the plot has something to do with nuclear weapons being developed by the Germans and is filled to the brim with historical inaccuracies. For something that was marketed as a serious take on the French resistance, this game is very hard to take seriously.

I don't recall this ever being marketed as a serious take on the French resistance. Just that it's an over the top WW2 movie style open world game where you happen to be working for the French resistance. It's been shown as trying to capture the action movie style (like Uncharted) instead of a realistic WW2 game. For example, they've always shown and said that the main character can scale any building - that should've raised alarm bells against realism for you since the beginning.

It would be hard to sell a realistic game. In which the nazy's shoot 10 innocent civilians for every soldier killed by the resistance, like they did in the war.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Aw, I hope this doesn't die. It looks good.

And I am fucking fascinated by Hitler's obsession with the occult, so the more we explore that the better in my opinion.

Occult Nazis can be handled by Hellboy games. Everyone else can fuck right off. Actual historical games are a rare breed in video games. I would love to see something more realistic.

Fuck Hellboy, the whole occult Nazi thing has been done to death entirely. The field needs to be allowed to sit fallow for ten years or so, and then they can resume.

Yes, I am still eagerly awaiting Silent Hunter V. And terrified to death that it will die in development.

Like hell it has. In what? Wolfenstein? So like, 2 games? Whoop di do.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not really much of an open world guy, at least without XP and such (Morrowind was like crack), and I watched my nephew play through most of AC2 without finding any of it terribly exciting.

But I'm a sucker for sticking it to those damn Nazis. I'll probably pick this up eventually, maybe as filler between bioware titles.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The video looks decent and gamemania got it in today. Very mercenaries 2, except no destruction really i guess? Also you can buy upgrades apparently and also earn them by destroying things so. Pretty sure this won't be a fantastic game but i think i'll pick it up.

edit: that video has you highjacking an AA gun and blowing the shit out of the streets of paris, not for a mission you know, just, hanging around.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That's a lot of extra stuff to do.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The interesting thing about this game is that it I go from being excited about it, to it falling completely under my radar - several times now!

I seem to confuse this one a lot with the other WWII sneaky thingy, even though you control a woman in that one.

Still, if it's better than Mercs 2 I'm quite interested.

LionEyez on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    man, i'm really looking forward to this game :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

And I am fucking fascinated by Hitler's obsession with the occult, so the more we explore that the better in my opinion.

Occult Nazis can be handled by Hellboy games. Everyone else can fuck right off. Actual historical games are a rare breed in video games. I would love to see something more realistic.

Fuck Hellboy, the whole occult Nazi thing has been done to death entirely. The field needs to be allowed to sit fallow for ten years or so, and then they can resume.

Yes, I am still eagerly awaiting Silent Hunter V. And terrified to death that it will die in development.

And Bloodrayne. And Return to Castle Wolfenstein. And that occult shooter that made you the Soviet version of BJ Blaskowitz, and the ability to stop bullets in mid-air. And Rise of the Triad. And Spear of Destiny. And Mortyr. And Mortyr II. And the Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade games. And many, many other spinoffs, and games I can't personally name. Take your fucking pick.

Don't get me wrong, some of these were good games. But it wouldn't kill people to take a break.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    World War 2 stealth game starring a grouchy Irishman? Fuck yes!

399963greenberetlarge.jpg

CONSIDERITDOON

Nuzak on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i hope they polished up some animations, ans some of the climbing was clearly THROUGH the building

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    i hope they polished up some animations, ans some of the climbing was clearly THROUGH the building

This was a pretty weak point of Mercenaries 2, so we'll have to see.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So wait nazi car races and exploding cow punches!? You have convinced me sir.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aside from the quicklook there has been little to no media surrounding the game.

Also the game leaked sometime today, and rumor has it that it was leaked by Pandemic...

The in-box dlc kombo.com talks about is titties according to dagbladet.no (Link goes to norwegian news article about titties in game. Norwegian newspapers loves their titties.)

What exactly is this game? Videos are all over the place. GTA meets Infamous meets Sin City meets Casablanca?

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    more like assassins creed in WWII in Nazi-occupied paris

with GTA gunplay

Joolander on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If the enemies are little less suspicious than the jerks in the early Hitman games, and everyone doesn't suffer from Psychic Guard Syndrome, then this is definitely a purchase.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

And Bloodrayne. And Return to Castle Wolfenstein. And that occult shooter that made you the Soviet version of BJ Blaskowitz, and the ability to stop bullets in mid-air. And Rise of the Triad. And Spear of Destiny. And Mortyr. And Mortyr II. And the Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade games. And many, many other spinoffs, and games I can't personally name. Take your fucking pick.

Don't get me wrong, some of these were good games. But it wouldn't kill people to take a break.

Half of those games don't count because shit like "Mortyr" no one played.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Half of those games don't count because shit

Which is precisely why the tired Nazi Occult angle has to be given a rest.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    playing it now, the melee combat is fiddly as are all of the controls so far. Driving is okayish though. Art wise its a disney version of world war 2. With tits. The accents are, powerful. Haven't had a chance to shoot at things yet. Seems to have some frame rate issues on ps3.

edit: 7 minute install and loading during play is frequent. Not too long but you know, still.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    edit: 7 minute install and loading during play is frequent. Not too long but you know, still.

That's pretty typical though, no? 7 minute long install, in any case.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Ah no not a problem by itself, just mentioning it because the loading screens are quite noticeable.

edit: and the shooting is way better than the melee

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Half of those games don't count because shit

Which is precisely why the tired Nazi Occult angle has to be given a rest.

I mean, it still has plenty of chances to be done well. Wolfenstein is the only thing even doing half decent.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What the fuck is wrong with the people in this thread????

"BOOOHOOHOO GAME IS NOT REALISTIC"

Oh, my, I'm sure a game in which you spend about 16hrs quietly hidden on an attic would be the pinnacle of fun, right? Or maybe 8 hour shifts at the local clandestine printshop making leaflets.

Who knows, you might even hear some juicy tidbit at the local tavern in Montmartre!

Yeah, figured as much.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Oh, my, I'm sure a game in which you spend about 16hrs quietly hidden on an attic would be the pinnacle of fun, right? Or maybe 8 hour shifts at the local clandestine printshop making leaflets.

Who knows, you might even hear some juicy tidbit at the local tavern in Montmartre!

Yeah, figured as much.

That's a nice way to get a point across.

LionEyez on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Ah no not a problem by itself, just mentioning it because the loading screens are quite noticeable.

edit: and the shooting is way better than the melee

How prominent? Every street block in Metal Gear Solid 4 prominent or "Why the fuck is this game loading in the middle of combat?" Ninja Gaiden Sigma prominent?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, figured as much.

You're probably one of those fuckers that fell asleep during Schindler's List or something.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, figured as much.

You're probably one of those fuckers that fell asleep during Schindler's List or something.

And you're definitely one of those morons who think period drama movies and a action games are the EXACT SAME THING.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The in-box dlc kombo.com talks about is titties according to dagbladet.no (Link goes to norwegian news article about titties in game. Norwegian newspapers loves their titties.)

What exactly is this game? Videos are all over the place. GTA meets Infamous meets Sin City meets Casablanca?

Europe: not giving a fuck about nudity since 1776

seriously, if that trailer was released in the US, the developers would be burned. D:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited December 2009

How prominent? Every street block in Metal Gear Solid 4 prominent or "Why the fuck is this game loading in the middle of combat?" Ninja Gaiden Sigma prominent?

Ah going in and out of building, so not GTA IV where you walk in and out. Takes a good 2 seconds for the start menu to come up. No loading during combat. Sometimes the action pauses for a cut scene at a time that i find weird. Its doable though. Not mass effect elevators.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, figured as much.

And you're definitely one of those morons who think period drama movies and a action games are the EXACT SAME THING.

There's no reason a historically-accurate WWII-era game can't be exciting.

But hey, have fun playing your game where you explode cows by punching them, fuckwit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I actually ran over a few cows in my car, it was pretty fun actually.

edit: also about psychic guards. I shot a man that needed killing from cover. A GTA IV'ish bubble pops up, i sneak away without anyone seeing me. Two guards that want to investigate the gunshot run past me. I get out of the suspicion bubble, mission over.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah, figured as much.

But hey, have fun playing your game where you explode cows by punching them, fuckwit.

A historically accurate WWII-era game would be mostly gathering intel and giving it to people you don't know. Maybe you blow something up once and then get shot.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, figured as much.

A historically accurate WWII game, maybe.
    A historically accurate WWII game about the Resistance, not very likely, as I have already pointed, and your appalling fallacy of a retort failed to address.

I never saw historically accurate action games, anyway. Any game in which you can take a WWII rifle shot and keep running and gunning is automatically inaccurate. Maybe those hardcore turn based war games are indeed historically accurate. But other than that...

Have fun bitching about any game that is not made to YOUR specifications. You gonna do that a lot. I'm not even rejoin your little name calling game, because you already made a big enough fool of yourself.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Yeah, figured as much.

A historically accurate WWII-era game would be mostly gathering intel and giving it to people you don't know. Maybe you blow something up once and then get shot.

I would play the shit out of this game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

edit: also about psychic guards. I shot a man that needed killing from cover. A GTA IV'ish bubble pops up, i sneak away without anyone seeing me. Two guards that want to investigate the gunshot run past me. I get out of the suspicion bubble, mission over.

No, man, you're not allowed to have fun, because you know, Schindler's List and all (god I feel so sensitive and mature, bringing that movie up...).

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thought you were done attacking me?

You have a memory span of exactly two minutes, congratulations.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Like I said, I only watched someone else play the game and he was really really bad at it. It took him about ten hours to finish the third act and he did absolutely no side missions or bought any new weapons.

I doubt the game is actually as bad as I made it out to be, but there were a few things (incredibly lavish clubs with women only wearing star stickers over their nipples, Nazi car races, exploding cows, etc) that just felt really jarring considering the seriousness of the rest of the setting.

I'm not asking for a super-realistic game where you hide around for three months, blow something up then get shot. But some attempt at historical accuracy and consistency in the setting would give the game a pretty large boost in quality (like everyone having access to a bunch of stuff that didn't actually come around until the 1960s or later).

JONJONAUG on