As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2009 MEGATHREAD] E3 OVER - GO HOME

EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MANRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
THE E3 2009 THREAD
e3_logo.jpg
WARP PIPE TO DAY 2 DISCUSSION

E3 Keynote IRC

irc.slashnet.org #pa_e3keynote

Much like Godzilla coming forth from the waters to destroy Tokyo, E3 has risen from its self-imposed press only slumber to simultaneously cause fanboy rage and drool.
  • Gaze in amazement as forumers fight over who had the best conference!
  • Keep a tally of how many pants were jizzed in! (Reminder, wear condoms)
  • Mercilessly mock the carefully crafted robots and their misadventures in public speaking!
All this for the low, low cost of a couple of mornings wasted waiting for Gamespot to buffer their goddamn stream!
WEBSITES COVERING E3:
STREAMING HD PRESS CONFERENCES--->>> e3insider (Game Trailers) <<<---STREAMING HD PRESS CONFERENCES
G4TV
Gamespot
Kotaku
Joystiq

PRESS CONFERENCES
Microsoft - Summation in spoiler below, videos on LIVE.
Microsoft shot out the gate with lots of videos and demos, with an emphasis on no charts.
  • Rock Band Beatles Package (9.9.09): Vocal tracks have up to three part harmonies. Abbey Road first full Album DLC, All You Need is Love (360 exclusive)
  • Tony Hawk Ride: Featuring the bastard child of a skateboard and the Wii balance board, can the peripheral based game sell well enough to dethrone Skate? Game itself looks very solid graphically regardless.
  • Modern Warfare 2 Live Demo (11.10.09): Trouncing around in a blizzard, the gun is has a sort of sonar screen on it, showing enemy blips. Pretty cool little scene after jumping across and latching into a nearby wall. Protagonist Roach dispatches white clad enemies in a snowstorm, at least it's not brown. Let's ride snowmobiles and shoot dudes, woop woop! Modern Warfare to have two Xbox360 timed exclusive map packs.
  • Final Fantasy 13 (Spring 2010): Showed the Giant Mech boss battle previously released, with the addition of an Odin summon. Fighting had a ranking afterward. Demo on 360 only, outside Japan?
  • Shadow Complex (EPIC GAMES): A Controidvania sidescroller due out for XBLA this summer.
  • Joyride (Winter 09): Goofy Avatar based kart racer that will be free to play with microtransactions for Tracks, Karts, etc.
  • Crackdown 2: City be Dark now, not much else from the trailer.
  • LEFT 4 DEAD 2 (Nov 17): Videos. Watch this one and the ones that auto plays after. Kill zombies in sunny Faux Orleans. Out of incendiary ammunition for your silenced uzi? Melee weapons like a chainsaw and frying pan borrow a page from Dead Rising. 360 and PC exclusive.
  • Splinter Cell Conviction: Sam got a goddamn haircut. Cutscenes and objectives projected on the walls ingame when information is provided is pretty neat. Dispatching of dudes looks fucking awesome. Game taking a Metal Gear approach where you can be less stealthy and not be fucked entirely.
  • Forza Motrosports 3 (October): Microsoft bringing the fight the Gran Tourismo 5. Dash cam has fully functional side and rearview mirrors. Car super customization is back, and looks easier than ever. Video editor, if as good as the video shows, will be damned cool.
  • Halo 3: ODST (9.22.09) First person drop into New Mombasa guided by the Superintendant. Two new sound suppressed weapons and a visor. The Rookie stumbles across items triggering flashbacks from other characters points of view. Co-Op mode
  • Halo Reach (2010): Tells the story of the Covenant destruction of Reach, prior to the first Halo game. ODST will include an entry into the Reach Multiplayer Beta.
  • Alan Wake (Spring 2010): Max Payne's makers turn their attention from narrated noir to a narrated suspense game. Enemies shiny goofy during combat, dunno what's up with that, but damn this is pretty. Bullet time is also showcased.
  • Last.fm: Streaming music available to Gold members for free later this year.
  • Netflix: Mess with your queue without having to hit up your PC.
  • Sky TV: Euros get Sky channel for telly watching of futbol.
  • Zune Video: Renaming of the Video service for Xbox live. 1080p, "instant on" movies and tv shows, 18 countries supported.
  • Live Party Shared Experience: Remember the thing that they advertised last year with watching stuff together of Live? That again, for reals.
  • Facebook (Fall 009): The virus spreads.
  • Twitter (Fall 09): Shit on 360 and Twit about it, you twat.
  • Metal Gear Solid Rising: Microsoft gets a Metal Gear game, but with Raiden.
  • Xbox Motion Controller - Project Natal: Full motion sensor, and voice recognition boasting controller free games and entertainment. Showed off navigating the NXE dashboard with motion control swiping and facial recognition to log in. Ricochet, 3-D player controlled breakout. There's a Body Paint game where you can change colors by voice and throw them on a canvas. Unusually hilarious forum backlash against this. Peter Molineux showcases a strange Seaman homage with lots of British accents.

2ex6jyp.jpg

See also:
    20090518.jpg

Electronic Arts - Junior Yank's take in spoiler.
Electronic Arts stuck to their guns, showing off 12 games but nothing major groundbreaking or surprising.
  • Dante's Inferno - God Of War clone!
  • Littlest Pet Shop - Three variations (city, beach, and... I don't know... country?)
  • Charm Girls Club - EA Girls! Speed hair teasing, etc.
  • Need For Speed - Doesn't look as good as Forza 3, but not every game can be the definitive racing game of the generation.
  • Dragon Age: Origins - I missed most of Bioware's presentation, since I was getting my clothes out of the washing machine.
  • Mass Effect 2 - For 360/PC.
  • Fight Night Round 4 (June 25) - 60 fps and advanced physics engine supposedly leads to more fluid gameplay and realism.
  • EA Sports: MMA - Coming 2010, from EA Tiburon.
  • Madden 2010 - Online Franchise!
  • EA Sports Active - It can change your life! 600,000 shipped (or sold?) already.
  • Grand Slam Tennis - Wii Motion Plus enabled! Though they didn't do a good job of showing how it takes advantage of M+.
  • Brutal Legend (Rocktober 13) - From Tim Schafer / Double Fine. Featuring the voices of Rob Halford, Lemmy Kilmister, Lita Ford, Ozzy Osbourne, and Jack Black.
  • Crysis 2 - Coming to 360/PS3/PC.
  • The Saboteur - Tactical stealth action game, set in Nazi-occupied Paris. Mostly in black & white, but your resistance literally brings color back to the city.
  • APB - Sandbox game from Realtime Worlds. Be a cop or a criminal.
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic - First fully-voiced MMO. No gameplay shown, but a pretty badass CGI trailer featuring a massive Jedi vs Sith fracas and Booba Fett.

UbiSoft - In a world where movies are spoken about for 30 minutes, one man, Joel McHale must salvage a Wii-loaded presser where everything that can go wrong did.
Ubisoft took a page from Nintendo 2008 by making people trudge through the sand for 40 years before bestowing them with milk and honey.
  • Director James Cameron took 14 years to ramble on about Avatar without any goddamn footage behind him or even after.
  • Red Steel 2: Wii Motion+ may save the franchise's Samurai Western inspired foray.
  • Shaun White Snowboarding World Stage: More Wii balance board tricking.
  • Academy of Champions: Pele's Hogwart's of Soccer.
  • Splinter Cell Conviction: Copy and paste whatever I said about Splinter Cell during Microsoft here because that's what Ubi did with a couple variations like the new Last Known Position, a representation of where the enemies saw you last and are concentrating their search.
  • Ruse: Pretty looking RTS. Because there's not enough of those.
  • Imagine Whatever: FUCK ALL YA'LL I GOT EDYN
  • Your Shape = Wiifit + USB Camera - Balance Board.
  • Rabbids Go Home: An adventure game wherein the Rabbids utilize shopping carts to build a tower of junk to the moon.
  • TMNT Smash UP: Kung Fu Chaos or Smash Bros with the Turtles crew.
  • Assassin's Creed 2 (November 17): Bringing a gun to a knife fight in 15th Century Italy.
CarbonFire's take:
vomitz.jpg

Nintendo - Tuesday, June 2nd, 9AM PST
Conviently scheduled early enough that the neglected hardcore crowd is still asleep, but late enough that Cammie can attend after dropping her kids off at school. While you were reading this, 300k Wiis and 400k DSes were sold.
FyreWulff's sentence fragments ahoy.
  • MOTIONPLUS ETC
  • Mario Galaxy 2
  • 4 Player Co-Op New Super Mario Bros for Wii
  • Metroid: Other M, a 'dark, edgy' Metroid being made by Team Ninja
  • Iwata dislikes the invisible wall being built up between 'hardcore' and 'non-gamers'
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong coming to WiiWare
  • Vitals sensor add-on for Wiimote
  • Wii Fit Plus in both game only and balance board bundles

Sony - Tuesday, June 2nd, 11AM PST
Will God of War 3 get a release date, and what's the haps with the PSP GO and slimline PS3. Is there ever going to be a price cut?
More of Fyre's impressions as I collect myself.
  • Showed off MAG
  • Gran Turismo PSP finally coming out Oct 1
  • showed off a kart racer in the vein of LBP
  • God of War demo'd, brutal as fuck
  • Revealed new motion controller that has 1:1 position sensing
  • not clear if the eyetoy is optional yet
  • but the camera picks up where the wand is by looking for colored lights
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker revealed for PSP it's "next game in main line of series, not a spinoff" takes place in 1970s
  • PSP Go is 249$and 249 euro
  • Final Fantasy 14 revealed and FMV shown PS3 exclusive it's subtitle is 'online' so it appears to be a sequel to FF11

SQUARE ENIX - Wednesday, June 3rd, 11AM PST STREAM IN G4TV.COM (not G4TV)

Konami/Kojima - Wednesday, June 3rd, 3PM PST STREAM IN G4TV.COM (not G4TV)
Secret Big Hidden Boss of the Press Conferences, this one has hype for days.
![Space Reserved for Bullet Points from Press Conference]

FyreWulff wrote: »
I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
EvilBadman on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess the Konami thing has its own thread.

So yeah, another year, another E3. I'm predicting same bullshit from the three major players as last year.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yay! Thanks for the thread, Badman!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GameTrailers will also be doing live HD feeds of all the conferences, if you wanted to add that to the OP as well.

Edit: Ignore me, just saw that :P

Dourin on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fantastic OP, EB. Pretty psyched, here.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dourin wrote: »
    GameTrailers will also be doing live HD feeds of all the conferences, if you wanted to add that to the OP as well.

Edit: Ignore me, just saw that :P

I didn't know about that. That might simplify things this year.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Before anyone asks, I'm at work and decided we needed a thread. Hopefully it'll live through at least the Microsoft conference unless a mod bestows us with immunity until end of show.

Also: Added related threads section for Kojima and The_Spaniards threads.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was wondering when a thread was going to pop up. Only 6 hours to go.

Peewi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the effort Badman.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just wonder if the Ubisoft show's going to have as many wall-bangers as the last one did. I can still feel that giant knot of what the fuck from the second half of that presentation.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am giddy for the MS conference.

I want huge Announcements out of nowhere, forums exploding, fanboys crying, ect...
    I want the stuff LEGENDS are made of.

Regarding Sony, I want them to show us great PSP games cause I only own a PSP, my PS3 was sold until they can win me back with a redesign and worthy games.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shouldn't there be seperate threads for each conference, like there usually is around E3 time? Shit's going to be a mess in this thread when everyone's talking about different shit.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Shouldn't there be seperate threads for each conference, like there usually is around E3 time? Shit's going to be a mess in this thread when everyone's talking about different shit.

They could be linked to in this thread maybe. And this thread could serve as a pre-conference / post-conference discussion topic, and the other threads could be for the ongoing conference stuff that makes these sorts of threads fly in page count.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So the Nintendo one is 5PM British Summer Time right? They always seem to manage to schedule these for when I'm travelling from work to home. Oh well, better than the middle of the night.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009

As far as I remember, last year there was a thread that was supposed to be for one of the conferences, but ended up having stuff for the other ones in it too.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love the drama, nerd rage and masterbatory spectacle of E3. <3 I've made peace with not being able to play every game I think looks cool, so all I want from this E3 is some ridiculous reveals, announcements, betrayaltons and overall madness. In short, I want to be able to use this as much as possible:

badboys2.jpg

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

They could be linked to in this thread maybe. And this thread could serve as a pre-conference / post-conference discussion topic, and the other threads could be for the ongoing conference stuff that makes these sorts of threads fly in page count.

That is usually the case for E3.

Stolen from GAF for fellow Aussies:
    MS conference.
    Melbourne (Australia - Victoria) Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 3:25:00 AM

Nintendo:
    Melbourne (Australia - Victoria) Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 2:00:00 AM

Sony:
    Melbourne (Australia - Victoria) Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at 4:00:00 AM

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So the Nintendo one is 5PM British Summer Time right? They always seem to manage to schedule these for when I'm travelling from work to home. Oh well, better than the middle of the night.

Gamespot has countdowns on their site. Here's the one for Nintendo.

Peewi on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The threads all seem to pour over each other over the common bond of internet nerd rage anyways.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I guess this thread should do it for the week.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    The threads all seem to pure over each other over the common bond of internet nerd rage anyways.

I'd say we're pretty good as far as that goes. Sometimes there's a break out but overall any ribbing is mostly good natured.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nintendo: Wii is a mind blowing success E3 Press Conference 2: Casual Harder?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm expecting Splniter Cell news from Ubi.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This might be the year Sony actually does better than the other two; they have two big things to show off, or at least talk about (PSP Go! and the PS3 slim), and so long as they don't fuck up, which is a tall order I admit, they could eclipse what we know so far from Nintendo and Microsoft. (Though it's always the unknown stuff that is most important.) Granted it would be a victory due to sucking the least, but that still counts.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Wouldn't the sequel be titled Money Charts Forever or something?

Henroid on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Wouldn't the sequel be titled Money Charts Forever or something?

PUT THIS IN YOUR ACCESSORY SLOT AND SMOKE IT

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This might be the year Sony actually does better than the other two; they have two big things to show off, or at least talk about (PSP Go! and the PS3 slim), and so long as they don't fuck up, which is a tall order I admit, they could eclipse what we know so far from Nintendo and Microsoft. (Though it's always the unknown stuff that is most important.) Granted it would be a victory due to sucking the least, but that still counts.

I'm gonna remember this post in case MS and Nintendo somehow drop megatons that outdo Sony.

Henroid on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't quite see that happening. PSP Go looks like a plastic piece of shite and PS3 Slim will no doubt come with all sorts of brokenness (loss of memory, backwards compability, etc).

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

As far as I remember, last year there was a thread that was supposed to be for one of the conferences, but ended up having stuff for the other ones in it too.

Really? Can't remember that, though I wasn't as hyped for E3 as usual so that could've been a reason.

Kelor: That's usually the case in SE+ but from my memory, there's never really been a co-ordinated effort in G&T.

As for your time zone, our times are pretty shit too but nowhere near as bad. Microsoft's starts at 5:25am, Nintendo's at 4am and Sony's at 7am. I'll wake up around 6am both mornings, catch half of Microsoft and all of Sony's. Nintendo's probably won't be worth waking up for, so I'm not bothering with it.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Don't count on the slim being present at E3.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'm gonna remember this post in case MS and Nintendo somehow drop megatons that outdo Sony.

Go ahead, but I don't know why you would bother. I already mentioned that that stuff that's yet to be revealed will probably outwieght what we already know. IMO, out of the announced stuff, Sony's is potentially the most interesting to us geeks (new iterations of both their hardware vs a MS hardware gimmick and new Wii Fit malarky), but yeah, it's unknown stuff that makes the biggest impact.

Also, I said this COULD be the year; not that this WOULD be the year. :) Nobody in their right mind would say that. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why must you be the screendoor to my submarine, Scottsman?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Don't count on the slim being present at E3.

If anything rather than a straight up price drop I would expect them to do another model switch and roll them all down a bracket again while discontinuing the lowest model.

Kelor on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone at NeoGaf was checking in for E3, and according to him, Nintendo's booth was hidden from public and guarded by security guards. Typical Nintendo paranoia, I guess. He did, however, see huge banner for Sin & Punishment 2, so it will definitely be on the floor.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ninty in catering to the actual gamer market? That won't last.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Someone at NeoGaf was checking in for E3, and according to him, Nintendo's booth was hidden from public and guarded by security guards. Typical Nintendo paranoia, I guess. He did, however, see huge banner for Sin & Punishment 2, so it will definitely be on the floor.

I wouldn't call it paranoia. That ensures that the news drops as it is meant to, without leaks. I hope Nintendo didn't have to hire the guards themselves. I think all booths should be guarded in such a way until things get going officially.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Because the government buys from the lowest bidder?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »

Please, don't spew that "actual gamer" bullshit.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Because the government buys from the lowest bidder?

I promise to understand this joke by the time I wake up.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

They've said in the past that after Brawl they would prefer to keep things low key and mostly announce/promote them 3-4 months before release, rather than have them suffer from the overhype and backlash that other games have had.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »

Please, don't spew that "actual gamer" bullshit.

Watch me.

¬_¬

WMain00 on
This discussion has been closed.