As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dumbass Canadian Tax Question [lock please]

robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, let's just say that I haven't exactly filed my taxes since 2007, meaning that I have yet to file for the 2006, 2007 and 2008 tax years.

I've got all my paperwork corralled, and have them all prepared in quicktax, but something has been lingering since and now I think it might be a real problem.

For reference, I worked at four separate places in the year of 2007 - here comes the gongshow:
- In Feb 2007 I quit my job (let's call it Job #1) for a local IT company, which we'll call Job #2.
- In August I was laid off from Job #2 and subsequently found employment at a company in Vancouver, which we'll call [strike]Fuckheads[/strike] I mean Job #3.
- After I dropped Job #3 like it was hot I found stable employment at my current job, Job #4.

Here's the sticky part, the management at Job #3 can't organize their shit to save their lives. Plus I'm lazy-ass. So it took me a while to actually get my paycheck out of them, and then a longer amount of time to even get my T4. When I did get it, they had filed it erroneously under 2008. At the time I figured it wouldn't be an issue, and assumed I could still just file it with my 2007 return.

Anyway, fast forward to yesterday: After finally getting to work on getting my returns prepared I realized I was still one more T4 short (Job #1's), so I had to call CRA to have it mailed out. The agent I spoke to only showed three companies I worked for at that year (Jobs #1, #2 and #4;) Which means that they definitely have the incorrectly filed T4 under 2008.

How this has even gotten by CRA is beyond me, I would assume that they should have a disconnect in financial records of Job #3 paying tax on my income in September of 2007 and no corresponding T4 for that year.

But then this is the government at the beauracracy level, so who the hell knows.

I guess this is sorta my fault since I'm such a lazy ass anyway.

TL;DR: There is an inconsistency in my paperwork that shows I earned income in one year when I actually earned it the year prior.

So, my question is this: Am I going to get raped through the pants by CRA G-Men? Or can I just put a note in my package that states that their is an error on the T4 and it really belongs in 2007? Also, if I have to file it under 2008, will that mess up my tax bracket? I made ~34k that year and the bit I made from Job #3 in 2007 was around $650.

Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
robotbebop on

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/menu-eng.html

Call them, explain the situation, and ask them what you should do.

Edit: I realize you spoke to someone and they had the wrong info, but since you have a copy of the T4 in question (you.. do have an extra copy, right?) it shouldn't be hard to prove they made a mistake and get it corrected.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I also have a Canadian tax question:

I've been living overseas for 4 years not doing any taxes. Do I need to do any sort of tax paperwork or will I get in trouble somehow?

Actually I've been working illegally this whole time so I don't pay tax where I am either. :P

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Never mind guys, i'm an idiot. I just phoned the CRA and they simply asked if I received a paycheck from them in 2008, which I did. So that's when their T4 has to be filed for.

:oops:

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
This discussion has been closed.