As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you allow yourself to get upset over the release of a game, or the lack of free content for a game, then you might be taking your life a bit too seriously.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heres my view on it. I bought L4D knowing what was included and not even thinking about DLC and what could be added. "Ooooh in the future I might get a few new weapons? Awesome, I'll buy this game." No, I enjoyed the demo and the game appealed to me so I bought it and I'm still playing it now.

Pissed about a new realease because you became bored with the first one? Fine, dont buy the second, simple as that. The only major free DLC that valve had released before L4D was for TF2, so its not like regular steam customers were being shafted by Valve.

People buy Fifa/Madden/NHL year on year regardless of the additions, why should a new installment of a popular PC game which has a lot more new content than those titles be free/reduced?

Just my 2 $texas.
    Left 4 Dead, set for release on PC and Xbox 360 on November 21 in Europe, is primarily a four-player cooperative game that sees a group of Survivors battle through four 'Movies' and against 28 Days Later-style zombies called The Infected.

Newell said that Valve's support of the game post-launch will be essential for growing the community.

He said: "One of the things that we're doing is we seem to be in a transition between games as a package product and games more of a service. So if you look at Team Fortress 2, one of things that's really helped grow the community is the continuous updates, where we release new maps, new character classes, new unlockables, new weapons. And we tell the stories about the characters, like the meet the sniper, or meet the sandwich. And that ongoing delivery of content really seems to grow the community.

"So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."

Good for TF2, but L4D isnt TF2.

Like I said, dont like the fact they havnt released free DLC? Stop playing, they arn't forcing you to buy L4D2.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The fact is no one plays l4d anymore because it got old fast and they didn't support it all.

Sorry you can't fight facts.

edit: more like mere_incompetent. Learn to read bro.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The fact is no one plays l4d anymore because it got old fast and they didn't support it all.

Sorry you can't fight facts.

edit: more like mere_incompetent. Learn to read bro.

See now you're just being a bit of a dick.

Takes no longer than 2/3 mins to find a game.

edit: So they didnt deliver on/changed a post release point, like I care. I enjoy the game and that enough for me.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I like L4D. I didn't feel the original content alone was worth $45-$50. I would've waited for a sale had I known there would be no "major" additions to the game. But I guess holding Valve to their word is entitlement.
    Yea this puts it perfectly. Fuck yall who say "entitlement" in this thread.

But if you paid $45-$50 dollars, regardless of what your expectations were, the onus of spending that money still falls squarely on your shoulders. You can't shout at Valve for that. They didn't force you to spend it.

But when you freely and willingly spend it, continuing to go on and act as though Valve owes you something beyond the product you paid for is a irritating sense of entitlement. If you aren't happy with the product, don't spend money on any more of it, or any more of Valve's works.

That's your right as a consumer. You do not have a right to make a list of demands from Valve. That just makes you look like an ungrateful child.
    There will be no dissent.

We are robots

We are robots.

:lol: You are fucking retarded. We aren't talking about politics or a totalitarian government here. It's a video game maker that owes you nothing. They provide a service, you either buy it or you don't. There's no cause for revolution here.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So do you guys actually talk about the games in this thread or just piss and moan to each other about your opinions?

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If Valve hadn't compared the potential L4D support with what they've done with TF2, I would be less frustrated at L4D2 being an actual sequel that's being released a year after the first and not an expansion pack

but they did, sooooooooo

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh wow. Look at that, the world isn't black and white. There are shades of grey... and I think I see a blue! When did these get here?

Well in this instance it is. Like L4D but dont wanna pay for lots of new content? Shut the fuck up and carry on playing 1 then. Wanna play new content? Pay for it.

Either buy it full price or stfu. Clearly the only two options. Unless of course you consider having an informal discussion with fellow buyers of said product about how there wasn't advertised future content, and instead will probably wait for a discounted price on the second product with similiar promises. Thats not one of the options at all. No, either buy immediately or never play it ever and never talk about it ever.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Has 1/3rd the players of tf2, and about 1/6th the players of cs.

Mars Elliot has the right idea, admitting spending money on l4d was a bad idea.
    But if you paid $45-$50 dollars, regardless of what your expectations were, the onus of spending that money still falls squarely on your shoulders. You can't shout at Valve for that. They didn't force you to spend it.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder how much of the new content: chainsaws, axes, new weapons, characters, maps etc. would have been added free to LFD1 via the modding community. I mean, who wasn't thinking of a chainsaw when they heard about the SDK?

The big thing here is how much stuff people wouldn't have modded in, like the souped up AI director, actually adds to the experience and if that seems worth the asking price. 20ish bucks? Sure. 50 bucks? Well, it better be a HUGE step up.

On a more subjective note, though, I'm a bit disappointed that we're getting LFD2 just because it strikes me as way less interesting than other Valve products on the creative side of things: we've gotten Half Life games with amazing storytelling in an interactive environment and gorgeous set pieces, Portal, which was arguably an even better synergy of storytelling and gameplay, with the innovative Portal gun, and, to a lesser extent, TF2, which had amazing, Pixar like character design.

Now we get...SHOOT DEM ZOMBIES...2. :?

Darlan on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Comparing anything to counterstrike's amount of players is a little unfair.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This whole argument will be settled depending on how well L4d2 sells. In a few months we'll have the definitive answer from the gaming community as to whether this was a bitch move by Valve or whether it's appreciated.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But when you freely and willingly spend it, continuing to go on and act as though Valve owes you something beyond the product you paid for is a irritating sense of entitlement. If you aren't happy with the product, don't spend money on any more of it, or any more of Valve's works.

That's your right as a consumer. You do not have a right to make a list of demands from Valve. That just makes you look like an ungrateful child.

Makes me an ungrateful child? Because when Valve says they're going to do the exact same thing they did with TF2 which was continual support and add-ons to strengthen the community it seems like they're the ones making a list, not me.

And when they go and do one thing off that list and say whoops lets make a sequel it's not entitlement, it's dissapointment. Look it up! They're different words!

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Look, this release doesn't really concern PC players, this was made mostly from a console sales perspective.

A. This seems to be emerging from the Turtlerock devs more than Valve. The success of L4d they see as an opportunity to create the more fully featured game they wanted, rather than the streamlined test bed Valve made it into. (The melee weapons, extra infected, extra bullet types and that quote above about the devs wanting to make the game much larger seem to indicate this.)
    B. And why Gabe ok'd the project despite hesitations, is that this will make a mint among console players, seeing as the first L4D was huge and earned them a ton of money. When Chet is saying that adding the new additions in isn't feasible with DLC, he's talking about from a console perspective. Because otherwise that statement is complete BS from a Steam point of view. TF2's model didn't work on console because of the long turn over time and because of system limitations brought about by all the new effects.

Seeing as the L4D addon stuff came at a relatively steady pace for both platforms shows that they're using this game as Valve's wedge into the console market.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    First person?

360?

at least a million seller.

That doesn't mean anything.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Look toons, I agree with you, stop being a giant dick about everything.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    On a more subjective note, though, I'm a bit disappointed that we're getting LFD2 just because it strikes me as way less interesting than other Valve products on the creative side of things: we've gotten Half Life games with amazing storytelling in an interactive environment and gorgeous set pieces, Portal, which was arguably an even better synergy of storytelling and gameplay, with the innovative Portal gun, and, to a lesser extent, TF2, which had amazing, Pixar like character design.

Now we get...SHOOT DEM ZOMBIES...2. :?

The common infected are really impressive in their ability to navigate. You rarely see them exhibiting bot-like behavior or clearly getting confused as to where they need to go. If something gets in their way, they just jump up and clamber over whatever obstacles they encounter. That's a huge accomplishment to me; making an AI that seamlessly interacts with its environment is really difficult.

And they really nailed the tension level. Even after you've encountered a hundred Hunters, that little creepy piano sting that plays whenever they spawn still puts you on edge.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    If Valve hadn't compared the potential L4D support with what they've done with TF2, I would be less frustrated at L4D2 being an actual sequel that's being released a year after the first and not an expansion pack

but they did, sooooooooo
    Oh wow. Look at that, the world isn't black and white. There are shades of grey... and I think I see a blue! When did these get here?

Well in this instance it is. Like L4D but dont wanna pay for lots of new content? Shut the fuck up and carry on playing 1 then. Wanna play new content? Pay for it.

Either buy it full price or stfu. Clearly the only two options. Unless of course you consider having an informal discussion with fellow buyers of said product about how there wasn't advertised future content, and instead will probably wait for a discounted price on the second product with similiar promises. Thats not one of the options at all. No, either buy immediately or never play it ever and never talk about it ever.

So you've e-mailed them and told them of your frustrations? Good for you. You did your part. Keep on bitching.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Look toons, I agree with you, stop being a giant dick about everything.
    You and I both know that's impossible.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Makes me an ungrateful child? Because when Valve says they're going to do the exact same thing they did with TF2 which was continual support and add-ons to strengthen the community it seems like they're the ones making a list, not me.

And when they go and do one thing off that list and say whoops lets make a sequel it's not entitlement, it's dissapointment. Look it up! They're different words!

And what about the content that they've said they will still be adding to L4D1?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This whole argument will be settled depending on how well L4d2 sells. In a few months we'll have the definitive answer from the gaming community as to whether this was a bitch move by Valve or whether it's appreciated.

Yes, all of my opinions, too, are decided by what other consumers think.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Not your opinions. Our collective opinion.

Money > Message Boards. Reality tends to be the final arbiter of these debates.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Valve says a lot of things these days.

I'll believe it when I see it.

So either never or 2011

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can also say what is up with all you people defending Valve? You all are witnessing lameness being played out in front of us like a play.

What is up? What's up is I'm witnessing the same histrionic shitstorm that surrounding the release and implementation of Steam, and that turned out aces.

I'm just tired of seeing people acting with a smug sense of entitlement over something that nobody in no way owes them. If you bought L4D you got more than your money's worth in the initial release. I understand Valve promised more content for L4D, and if anyone is jumping the gun, it's people crying foul on not getting that content.

Give the company a goddamn chance to deliver it and stop acting as though you are entitled to it like a wedding dowry.

Getting content in a timely manner matters much.

It help keeps the community together and active, as Gabe Newell said. Whatever they might release in the coming months isn't goign to matter a whole lot, regardless of the L4D2 announcement, if my community of friends has moved on to bigger and better things, which much of them have. It used to be I had to turn down 2 or 3 invites a night because I was already in a L4D game in progress, now I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 invites a week. And I'm not talking about the bevy of invites back when L4D first released, this was not too far back in March and April, 4 to 5 months after release.

I attribute that mainly to persistent, unfixed bugs and a lack of initial and additional content.

So content might be coming down the road, but who's left to give a crap?

Do you see the irony in your post, immortal?
    Has 1/3rd the players of tf2, and about 1/6th the players of cs.

Mars Elliot has the right idea, admitting spending money on l4d was a bad idea.

Although it's ultimately up to Valve, it's in Valve's best interest to make the $45-50 their customers have spent feel worthwhile to those customers. Getting feedback, good and bad, active and passive, is the absolutely only way to do that. What we're doing here will, hopefully, help Valve improve things. In other words, we bitch because we care.

Simply staying mum and not buying a game will only do the least bit of good in improving L4D2. One would like to think this is especially true in Valve's case.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Valve says a lot of things these days.

I'll believe it when I see it.

So either never or 2011

Right, because after this spat they're totally going to drop L4D1 forever

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well they sure haven't added anything worthwhile to it yet.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well they sure haven't added anything worthwhile to it yet.

but, all the patches! So much content in those patches. Are you forgetting all those fixes???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

MrDelish on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

The only way you are correct is if Valve is completely deaf to the community and its discussions and changes nothing based on our cries. The reality of sales does not exist in a vacuum.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, they've been very supportive with lots of patches and following through with finishing versus. Especially stuff like the smoker buffs and melee fatigue has really rounded out the game

I think people are just seeing a bandwagon and hoping on it. Valve are a good company, have been responsive in the past, and I doubt that this outcry is something they'll ignore

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So we're not supposed to expect companies to fix their game if it's broke?

cool story bro

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

cool story bro

Beyond bug fixes, lots of additions like the ones I mentioned and more (losing team is infected first, consistent tank spawns) go far and beyond what you would normally find in patching (see: Relic)

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The rage, its palpable!

The problem with l4d2 is that we still don't know what content l4d1 is actually getting. Once they say "you're going to get a campaign and an extra special infected not to mention this awesome weapon *dingle dangle*" I'll be totally cool with l4d2.

at a 30 dollar pricepoint.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    The rage, its palpable!

The problem with l4d2 is that we still don't know what content l4d1 is actually getting. Once they say "you're going to get a campaign and an extra special infected not to mention this awesome weapon *dingle dangle*" I'll be totally cool with l4d2.

I'll buy it anyway but 30 dollars would be more acceptable to me

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

cool story bro

Beyond bug fixes, lots of additions like the ones I mentioned and more (losing team is infected first, consistent tank spawns) go far and beyond what you would normally find in patching (see: Relic)
    So we're not supposed to expect companies to balance their game if it's broke?

cool story bro

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The rage, its palpable!

What about 5 campaigns, 3 special infected, and at least 5 or 6 new weapons on top of new AI director logic and added support for custom maps from the game's predecessor?

cool story bro

So we're not supposed to expect companies to balance their game if it's broke?

cool story bro

Read again, these weren't fixes but gameplay changes that were a pretty big deal. They go far and beyond what other companies do with their games in terms of patching.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ebotastic wrote: »

The only way you are correct is if Valve is completely deaf to the community and its discussions and changes nothing based on our cries. The reality of sales does not exist in a vacuum.

If you have some magical way of divining what the community (meaning all the people who bought and play L4D) really thinks about the sequel, I'd love to hear it. Sales are the definitive answer, message boards don't remotely count.

/edit: Beyond that, without knowing the pricing structure of the Steam version -- I'm assuming the 360 will be a normal 60$ release -- a lot of this talk is just insanely premautre.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The rage, its palpable!

What about 5 campaigns, 3 special infected, and at least 5 or 6 new weapons on top of new AI director logic and added support for custom maps from the game's predecessor?

The problem is, so far the game looks the same but with a few minor tweaks. Much like any other expansion pack.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Raise of hands. How many people that are bitching have bitched TO VALVE rather than just about valve?

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I email gaben every 45 minutes.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    why do I even try with you