As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Craigslist Scam?

GorkGork Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
In attempting to sell my couch on Craigslist, I have encountered a somewhat sketchy situation. Having never sold anything on Craigslist before, some outside advice would be appreciated. After posting my ad, I receive an email asking if the item is still available. Here is my response:

Absolutely.

If you'd like to come take a look at it, I'm available from 2pm-6pm tomorrow and all day Wednesday.

Let me know if there's a time that works for you and I'll send you my address.

The response I get from the buyer is what has me slightly mistrustful:

Thanks for your mail.I want you to consider that you have already sell
it now..So i will like to make payment to you by certified check
bank/Money Order and send it to you Via ups or fedex,its overnight
delivery and for the pick my shipper will come for the pick up once
you have the Money Order..So i will like you to get back to me with
your details.

Name to be on the payment
Address:State,city and Zip-code
Phone#

Thanks

So, it seems kind of strange that he doesn't want to come look at it and he doesn't want to negotiate price. On the other hand, he can't really scam me with just my address and phone number, right?

Gork on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a scam. The 'certified check or money order' will be for more than the amount of the item, and will be counterfeit. The 'shipper' that comes and picks it up will ask for the difference in cash. We've had this scam pulled at the bakery I work for, people inquiring about shipping cakes to China and Germany the same way. It doesn't matter what the item is, the payment is always fake.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Most likely the old fake money order overpayment scam. He sends you a fake money order with an extra 0 or 5 or something, then asks you to Western Union him back the difference. A week or so after you send him his "change" the money order is detected as fraudulent and you've lost the money you sent him.

Ruckus on
  • Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scam.

He's going to give you a bad cashier's check, then pick up the furniture and vanish.

Sheep Have Wool on
  • NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you even have to ask if it could be a scam, then it's a scam. Never accept a money order, don't trust anyone with such poor english and never trust anyone who wants to buy it sight unseen and offers to have their shipper come pick it up. Those are sure signs of a scam.

Newton on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Much appreciated!

Gork on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you want to screw with him, give him fake info and a fake location. Send him somewhere really out of the way late at night.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SCAMMMMMMMMM

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Contact the Post Office to report attempted mail fraud. They take that stuff seriously.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you want to screw with him, give him fake info and a fake location. Send him somewhere really out of the way late at night.

Local Police Department? I'm sure they could use a chuckle. (No don't do this. Officers are serious people!)

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't accept anything but cash when selling something on Craigslist.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When you sell on Craigslist demand cash and use a counterfeit testing pen or check for the embedded anti-counterfeit strips. Do not accept any other form of payment, including Paypal.

supabeast on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why not accept paypal? I ask only because I've considered selling some stuff on Craigslist.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Heir wrote: »
    Why not accept paypal? I ask only because I've considered selling some stuff on Craigslist.

Paypal sides with the buyer in a conflict nearly 100% of the time. Even if the buyer is an obvious scammer.

Echo on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Wouldn't that just send the UPS guy to the middle of nowhere for no reason?

It's funny how you guys say never to accept a money order or cashier's check on craigslist because that's the only way I've ever paid for stuff on craigslist. I guess the guy was just lucky I was not a scammer.

Smurph on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    I just wanted to point out a good rule of thumb when it comes to craigslist:

It you think it might be a scam, it probably is. If you feel uneasy dealing with a person, don't deal with them.

Unknown User on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and if they mention Nigeria.. that's another one :P

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited June 2009
    Smurph wrote: »

Wouldn't that just send the UPS guy to the middle of nowhere for no reason?

It's funny how you guys say never to accept a money order or cashier's check on craigslist because that's the only way I've ever paid for stuff on craigslist. I guess the guy was just lucky I was not a scammer.
    The shipper won't be UPS. The 'shipper' will be someone in on the scam.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Don't accept anything but cash when selling something on Craigslist.

This. CL's is essentially a small-scale garage sale. They come look at the item, they pay you cash. I've sold a few big items (bed frame, TV), and you will get some crazy replies but you can weed out the real ones pretty easy.

If their email is not, "Saw your couch, would you take $100?/is it in good shape?" then don't reply.

MichaelLC on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If someone offers to use paypal it is because they are going to send you a fake paypal payment confirmation email.

Two outcomes there:

1) You give the scammer the item thinking the payment was made (Or ship it, which is most often the case)
    2) You click the link in the email to check out your account and confirm the payment. Why not? You're smart. You're not gonna get scammed. You enter your login details.. oh wait... that was a fake page too and now the scammer has your login info.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll put this in caps:

DEAL LOCALLY AND DEAL IN CASH.

Craigslist is goddamn notorious for this crap. Let me give you a reeeeally good example:

Last year I was looking for an apartment in Edmonton, Alberta. I came across a listing for basically the most perfect place ever - minutes from the University, a well-appointed and furinished apartment for cheap. Smelling a rat, I sent an e-mail anyway.

What came back was an e-mail that hit all the 419 scam buttons. The owner of the place was a "Doctor" working in "Madagascar" for the "greater glory and good of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." They had nobody in town with keys, so they couldn't show me the apartment. But if I were to send a "Deposit" through "Western Union" they'd "Mail" me the "Keys."

If you're not going to deal in person, don't deal. If you're not bringing cash-in-hand, don't deal.

The 419ers are the most obvious, but there are all kinds of situations that just don't feel right.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Craiglist is easy, if the ad itself is to good to be true, it invariably is. And if someone answers your ad with a horribly complex set of excuses and payment options, they're totally scamming you. Terrible english is always a huge tip off as well.

Dark_Side on