As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Darkon: LARPing your momma since 2006

Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Social Entropy++
Darkon is a documentary about LARPers. I like many of you have probably laughed at the trailer many times but have yet to see it. Thanks to Hulu we can now watch it for free from the comfort of our computer chairs.

darkonposter.jpg
Posing like a true badass

skipscreaminglayer1lo.jpg
Gonna get me some of that

burningtorchlolayer1.jpg
Pretty Fire

Ze Trailer

So come with me on a journey through nerdiness. Don't be shy with the pokes and the jabs.

Dunno what to say to you unwashed foreigners interested in watching it.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
Macro9 on
«13456724

Posts

  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never even heard of this but I'm in

    Me Too! on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll say it first

    MORE LIKE DORKON

    okay cool

    Raneados on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    I'll say it first

    MORE LIKE DORKON

    okay cool

    Glad that's out of the way.

    A minute in and they are babbling in moon speak.

    Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    okay the trailer made me want to watch this SO BAD

    and I will!

    Raneados on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    basically, the trailer at 2:07

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure what to say about this... something I'll have to wade through later, I expect.

    ultraexactzz on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god something is compelling me to watch this. After I'm done with my Bio. final I will raise my self esteem by staring at this in awe.

    George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    basically, the trailer at 2:07

    With the options to that point, I'd agree.

    ultraexactzz on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    when I saw this a while back I found it to be a pretty good doc. Pretty sad in a I feel superior to these people kind of way. But then, it's good that they have what they have, because I don't

    futility on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We are going to watch this in vent it seems.

    Marshmallow on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the THEME of larping, i guess

    I like the whole game aspect, like it's a huge map and when you want to control a hexagon, you fight or something?

    and then when 2 armies try for the same hexagon, it GOES DOWN

    and then 2 armies kick the shit out of each other with padded weapons for a few hours

    I can see the appeal. I really can

    but the roleplaying? ehhhhhhhh pass

    Raneados on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Get Pony in here to talk about zombie airsoft LARP

    Me Too! on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    see zombie LARP is better because it's just URGH I'M A ZOMBIE

    and not

    BEHOLD THIS LAND WE HAVE FORTHCOME TO THE SHIRE TO PRAYTELL WHAT HO A FOE



    and the roleplaying aspect seem to attract the people I least want talking for any length of time

    Raneados on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man, it's in Baltimore.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    These people frighten me, this man here has some truly severe filters on his perception of reality.

    Marshmallow on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm gonna start yelling 'WHAT HO, A FOE' in conversation more.

    Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was just going to say that if it was a series of paintball battles, it would be different.

    Nobody is pretending to be dark elves in paintball.








    Almost nobody is pretending to be dark elves in paintball.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    first time I ever heard WHAT HO A FOE was when i had to yell it in a play when I was about 7

    Raneados on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    see zombie LARP is better because it's just URGH I'M A ZOMBIE

    and not

    BEHOLD THIS LAND WE HAVE FORTHCOME TO THE SHIRE TO PRAYTELL WHAT HO A FOE



    and the roleplaying aspect seem to attract the people I least want talking for any length of time

    yeah, zombie LARPing is okay

    also, MilSim

    which is military scenario LARPing with airsoft guns

    that is also okay

    because again

    it is not "BEHOLD THIS LAND!"

    talking "in-character" consists of barking orders and calling out hostile positions and so on

    you are there to shoot dudes with your toy guns

    not stand around making speeches in bad Shakespearean english

    Pony on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the movie is okay. As far as nerd documentaries go, Trekkies is better, though.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mil-sim is still gets really over the top.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I was just going to say that if it was a series of paintball battles, it would be different.

    Nobody is pretending to be dark elves in paintball.








    Almost nobody is pretending to be dark elves in paintball.

    but therein lies the dilemma

    paintball is NOTHING like this

    if there was a thing where I could literally make whatever armor-looking shit I wanted to and foam sword or halberd or dirk and goddamn charge at people dressed similarily and fucking swing a padded claymore across their necks as hard as I can I would 100% be down for that

    if there were like waivers everyone had to sign so you could like dropkick people in the chest and nobody could sue

    you'd probably never see me again, I'd be doing that every fucking day

    Raneados on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I was just going to say that if it was a series of paintball battles, it would be different.

    Nobody is pretending to be dark elves in paintball.








    Almost nobody is pretending to be dark elves in paintball.

    but therein lies the dilemma

    paintball is NOTHING like this

    if there was a thing where I could literally make whatever armor-looking shit I wanted to and foam sword or halberd or dirk and goddamn charge at people dressed similarily and fucking swing a padded claymore across their necks as hard as I can I would 100% be down for that

    if there were like waivers everyone had to sign so you could like dropkick people in the chest and nobody could sue

    you'd probably never see me again, I'd be doing that every fucking day

    You can do that.

    This is that.


    You just have to hang out with those people and play thier little fantasy game to do it.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    wait... how does pretending to be a zombie or soldier differ from pretending to knight?

    So you prefer the horror or war genre over fantasy... doesn't make it fucking better.

    futility on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gonna say it.

    With the right group of people, I think LARPing could be really fun

    And by the right group I mean you guys

    Because hitting each other with foam swords is fun, and you guys are fun, and D&D is fun, and I know that sometimes when you combine things it doesn't work out so well

    But I still think so

    Straightzi on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    mil-sim is still gets really over the top.
    Tell me about it.

    Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll say it too

    If properly modified, I would be down like a clown for LARPING

    and I hate calling it LARPING

    because that's roleplaying, and the only role I want to play is Asskicky McSwordswinger, Royal Beheader of RunningDropkickvia

    Raneados on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I larped once in high school, and was immediately killed because when given the option of being a human, vampire, werewolf, or ghost I chose human and the cool kids running the show didn't like that

    futility on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I watched this on Hulu not too long ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.

    Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    futility wrote: »
    wait... how does pretending to be a zombie or soldier differ from pretending to knight?

    So you prefer the horror or war genre over fantasy... doesn't make it fucking better.

    Well, paintball or airsoft in general isn't really pretending at all. You are running around shooting at each other with just non-lethal stuff.

    If just like what Rainytoes was saying, if he could just play a game where you could run around and hit people with padded swords, it would be fun.

    It's all the role playing and costumes and shit that makes it weird.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    like, i mean, look at the difference

    these men are LARPing:
    318PR.jpg

    however

    these men are also LARPing:
    larp01.jpg

    what would you rather be doing?

    i'm sure all of them are having fun, and that's cool

    but i know what group i'd rather be playing with.

    Pony on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    futility wrote: »
    wait... how does pretending to be a zombie or soldier differ from pretending to knight?

    So you prefer the horror or war genre over fantasy... doesn't make it fucking better.

    Well, paintball or airsoft in general isn't really pretending at all. You are running around shooting at each other with just non-lethal stuff.

    If just like what Rainytoes was saying, if he could just play a game where you could run around and hit people with padded swords, it would be fun.

    It's all the role playing and costumes and shit that makes it weird.

    as opposed to dressing up in camouflage?

    futility on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    pony that second picture isn't even real

    Raneados on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Gonna say it.

    With the right group of people, I think LARPing could be really fun

    And by the right group I mean you guys

    Because hitting each other with foam swords is fun, and you guys are fun, and D&D is fun, and I know that sometimes when you combine things it doesn't work out so well

    But I still think so

    the combination is what gets me.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    we've all seen the "thunderbolt, thunderbolt, sleep video" and that's pretty lame. But that doesn't mean all fantasy larping has to be.

    futility on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    and I'm not talking about lightsaber battles that idiots do on college campuses

    I am talking actually trying to "kill the other person"

    you know like a war but without the really getting stabbed

    what is the name for this and where can I get it minus the LARP aspect

    Raneados on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    and I'm not talking about lightsaber battles that idiots do on college campuses

    I am talking actually trying to "kill the other person"

    you know like a war but without the really getting stabbed

    what is the name for this and where can I get it minus the LARP aspect

    We called them rock fights when I was a kid.

    Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    assassins?

    futility on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    futility wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    futility wrote: »
    wait... how does pretending to be a zombie or soldier differ from pretending to knight?

    So you prefer the horror or war genre over fantasy... doesn't make it fucking better.

    Well, paintball or airsoft in general isn't really pretending at all. You are running around shooting at each other with just non-lethal stuff.

    If just like what Rainytoes was saying, if he could just play a game where you could run around and hit people with padded swords, it would be fun.

    It's all the role playing and costumes and shit that makes it weird.

    as opposed to dressing up in camouflage?

    Most of the people I have played with are in much more casual clothes, but the camouflage is because it helps. I'm not wearing it because I think I'm some commando or anything. And I'm not pretending to be anything.

    Wearing a cape and a fake gold helmet doesn't make you a better sword fighter or whatever.

    NotASenator on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can say for a fact that just playing with boffer swords for no real roleplaying end is oodles of fun also

    If I ever come to PAX or something

    I'll bring some swords and we'll find a lawn or a park or something

    And not stop until someone needs to go to the ER

    Straightzi on
Sign In or Register to comment.