As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Express Delivery: The Daily thread

XaviXavi Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
So I recently joined artslam, a Livejournal community that issued the Challenge of creating one piece of concept art a day for a personal project (for a 3 month duration). Since I'm building a new portfolio I thought taking this on was the natural choice.

Lots of furries took the challenge as well, that kinda makes the community a little ... hard to look at, but eh, whatevs

So anyways, I'll be copying and pasting my progress here as well. Hope you enjoy it and feel free to leave anything that pops to mind :)
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Day one. Introducing EXPRESS DELIVERY.

We had a pretty bad thunderstorm last night, took away the internet for most of the internet. Even now its a little flakey ... meh.

In any case, some good progress was made. My idea is called EXPRESS DELIVERY and its about a crew that basically delivers items trough space ... and time!

At its most basic concept, what these people do is create stuff that people historically need or have used in order to achieve something grand. Excalibur? These guys. The one ring? Ditto. ipod? Yap. The E.D. crew creates these items and then travels trough space and time in order to deliver them, the stories would have to do with not just the delivery but also with the travel and exploration that would ensue.

Yeah I know, its a little Futurama, but I like the slight twist. Artistically wise this gives me a great excuse to have these guys in whatever setting I want, so the doors are wide open. I like the idea of a small crew composed of the delivery person, the driver and the manufacturer of the items. Then well have the ship, the rival crew, the home planet, all the good stuff.

Anyways for day one I just played with the idea and put some thoughts down on paper for a female and male protagonist, as well as a first pass at the ship design. The ship is as important as a character since you would be seeing this ship ALL THE TIME, so it requires some special attention.
day_01.jpg

Day two, developing the leading female 01

Okay so today I figured I wanted the leading character to be a female, and that I should develop her first. This character needs to be flexible, nimble and able to adapt more than anything, given the nature of her job. Im a big fan of the German film "Run, Lola, Run" and I wanted to draw some inspiration from the leading girl there (this is what drove the design on the right.

The design on the left is what she might be wearing in a more hostile environment, or maybe some space exploration, just keeping things loose at this point.
day_02.jpg

Day three, developing the leading female 02

Just one design today, but I'm pretty happy with her :) Just trying more looks for our leading lady. Ill be moving on soon though, just to keep things fresh

One thing I want to make sure is noticeable is that I want all of this to look colorful. I happen to think Gears of Grey War looks badass but I am also sick and tired of the lack of color were getting used to in today's next-gen games, so I really want to emphasize vivid color schemes, things just look better that way :)
day_03.jpg

Day Four, starting the environment exploration

Today I felt like starting the environment exploration, and for that theres nothing better than speedpainting.

To this end I really wanted to try a new set of brushes I download from Saenijoh over at Deviantart. Heres a link to them if you're interested (and you should! Theyre rad!)

Anyways, on to the art. Exploring what the crew of Express Delivery might find in their trips trough time and space :D
day_04.jpg

Xavi on

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is a great idea, and I'm really liking what you've come up with so far. Just think about all the material you'll have after a few weeks!

The character design of the girl looks good, but hardly any of the stuff on her seems like it provides any real purpose other than looks. (helmets, shoes) Nice colors though.

I'm getting a real Beyond Good and Evil vibe from the environmental shot, and that is always a good thing.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What a fantastic idea and I'm loving the hell out of your delivery pod thing.

Mustang on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love how colorful you are making everything. Though, on concept #2 for the girl, what is the helmet for? I can't really imagine a use for it, but otherwise everything looks good!

worstcase on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you're doing yourself a disservice by naming it Express Delivery. The name is nowhere near as good as the art.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »
    I think you're doing yourself a disservice by naming it Express Delivery. The name is nowhere near as good as the art.

Yeah naming isnt my strong suit at all :\ I'll change it if I come up with something new though, no biggie.

Thanks for the comments btw, Ill have a new update later tonight :)

Xavi on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xavi wrote: »
    NibCrom wrote: »

Yeah naming isnt my strong suit at all :\ I'll change it if I come up with something new though, no biggie.

Thanks for the comments btw, Ill have a new update later tonight :)

Well... If you changed from Express Delivery to Xpress Delivery, it would instantly become several times more extreme....I mean, Xtreme.

Seriously though, I like the idea of it being somhow related to post. Why not look at the postal service a bit closer to find a name that suits it: "Do not crush", "Handle with Care", "This side up".

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Awesome ideas! Ill brainstorm some this weekend, see what comes out of it :)

Heres tonight's update:

Day Five, landing in uncharted territories.

I totally messed up with the size of the image. Usually I work huge just in case I want to print, but I accidentally did this whole piece in like 800 by 400 pixels, woops! So yeah, this one aint gonna see print anytime ever.

Continuing with the environments theme, here is our ship landing in some sort of uncharted planet, Im thinking part of the challenges these guys may face is not only delivering the items, but how they go around getting the materials as well. I mean if WoW taught us anything is that fetching for stuff is fun! Right?. Just playing around with shapes and adding a bit more color than yesterdays piece, although I think Ill be doing some pencil and paper environments soon, just to keep things fresh.
    day_05.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Day Six, starting the ship model

Not the most exciting of updates, since 3d wip's tend to be pretty meh at the early stages.

I liked the ship design I had going early on and decided to spend some time fleshing it out in 3D, this can be pretty helpful since it really forces you to think about the shape of the object and lets you know how it would look in-game. You'll see more updates of this sort as I get more modeling and texturing done :)
    day_06.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Day Seven, ship model is coming along!

Got to spend some quality time with the model today, and right now its getting pretty close to the concept, so I took some renders to show it off :)

Right now its a tad below 1000 polys, so thats a pretty good start
    day_07.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    StrokerXStrokerX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I 2nd the title...This Side Up

got some pretty cool designs here...though I'm not sure how these people know to deliver things on alien planets...back in time....I mean..we know Earth's history...but how do they know the history of all these other worlds and how/where to deliver what package...how do they get the package in the 1st place? nah mean?

StrokerX on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm definitely warming up to that name, dont be surprised if I make it official soon :)

Yeah Im pretty lost myself on the logistics of the story, I just know I like the potential and Ill have to make it work somehow :\

Anyways:

Day Eight, first pass at The Builder

So in Express Delivery, theres the guy who makes it all happen. He forges, crafts, creates whatever item is necessary in order to complete the delivery granted he has the proper materials. For him I'm thinking definitely alien and definitely have a God/Santa Claus vibe to him, it feels right. I also figured a person with this job wouldnt move around much, he would have a space segway of sorts to move around.

Anyways, really rough first pass at him:
    day_08.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    This makes me think of Harkonen.

Also, you could probably give off a more Santaish vibe if you gave him a beard of mist/cloud instead of real hair. Santa is known for having a fluffy beard.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Took a little break from posting so I could have a beefier post :), anyways:

Day Nine. ship model done (ish)

Small update again BUT a big step nonetheless since Im pretty much done with the ship model, now I just have to map it and texture it, which is gonna take twice the time it took to model it ... but oh well. Progress is progress.

Took a render into Photoshop and painted some semblance of a texture there, just to give me some ideas for the final look. I think it came out pretty close to the concept, so thats great news when it comes to working in 3D
    day_09.jpg

Day Ten ... little late, starting the Mechanic design

Super long day at the studio yesterday, got home and took a nap, then woke up and went to bed :P

So yeah, first yesterdays update, and once I put some colors on todays sketch, I'll upload it also :)

Anyways, this is the start of the design for the third member, you saw a bit of him on the day one update. This guy basically makes sure things run, he deals with the ship and its pretty much the errands boy all around.
    day_10.jpg

Day Eleven, making a delivery

I wanted to keep exploring what kind of places the crew of Express Delivery will explore as I think they will be the most important element of the entire process. The worlds ARE the most important characters here.

For this particular example I imagine a giant beast living in solitude, unable to make any friends and thus relies on the technology it finds to keep itself entertained. The E.D. crew then makes a delivery that might be able to change all that.
    day_11.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man all I wanna do is draw vehicles after this thread, I love that pod thing.

Mustang on
  • Options
    StrokerXStrokerX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm all about the Santa Claus/God guy ...love his wings.

StrokerX on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks guys, Im gonna try to have that vehicle fully textured by the end of this weekend, well see how that goes ;)

Day Twelve, to the skies we go

Almost didnt make anything tonight, I actually started doing a digital portrait and it was going south really quick, so I just started messing with colors and came upon this piece. I'm also pretty happy with this one, so at least I got something good out of it :)

As for what I'm going for here, its obviously a little Tim Burton, but also a little Bengal (one of my favorite artists, French, but lets not hold that against him) Even if its a simple layout you can still find interesting shapes in the clouds and play with some high contrast to find something nice looking amidst all that. Im really having fun trying to think about the places these guys will visit and how different to their home planet everything is.
    day_12.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Great idea! I hope you keep up with it for the whole three months - that's a lot of dedication! You've got some good stuff here so far, though, keep at it. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    BlightedArtBlightedArt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Very nice work here.

Y'know, I think you should take a session or two (or in this case, a day or two since each day is a session) of just brainstorming abstract shapes, and trying to turn them into scenes / items / people. Just 5 minutes for each abstraction, you can come up with some great ideas and you'll also start linking one idea with another one, helping you define a theme for your project :D

Hope this helps.

BlightedArt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Very nice work here.

Y'know, I think you should take a session or two (or in this case, a day or two since each day is a session) of just brainstorming abstract shapes, and trying to turn them into scenes / items / people. Just 5 minutes for each abstraction, you can come up with some great ideas and you'll also start linking one idea with another one, helping you define a theme for your project :D

Hope this helps.

Its a great idea, Ill make sure to do that soon :) Thanks!

Day Thirteen, journey to the big city

Not too much in terms of explanation today, these guys have to go all over the place and Im having a blast thinking of places for them to travel to.

For this piece I think I actually will go back to it for a full color treatment, since I think it has a lot of potential. Usually working in black and white will make sure you focus on the tones, and if you are succesful then it should be a much easier transition to a color piece.
    day_13.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I LOVE that last piece. Really intense stuff!

worstcase on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is all awesome. I mean, I'm not the most artistic type, so my litmus test is essentially aesthetics over skill, but this is amazing. I love concept art, and I sure as hell love this. I know it's a bit early, but I'd LOVE to see you put your characters into a historic setting like what you mentioned in the premise.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Day Fourteen, the Galaxy's garbage dump

As I work on the 3d model of the ship, I still gotta come up with something substantial to show (cause a half mapped model doesnt show particularly well, honestly) so I decided to make another speedpaint with the same style as the one I did yesterday, since I was pretty happy with the results (hell, I even uploaded it to my website)

Anyways, I like the idea that all the garbage has to go somewhere, Star Wars has definitely played with the idea some and I wanted to try my hand at it too ... but what could a garbage planet want from Express Delivery? That tale is untold but Im thinking something along the lines of a portable black hole would help if you run out of space. The big ass machine you see in the middleground is probably used to make all the junk more compact and ... digestible? Thats exploration for another day, could make a cool model if I make a model sheet out of it.
    day_14.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like where this thread is headed! That last environment in particular has a great vibe about it.

I'll see if I can give any crits in a bit.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Two new updates to make up for lost time. Since Im still one day behind expect a double update tomorrow as well :)

Day Fifteen, the Snakes lair

Running a little late, I work in videogames as a Concept Artist and some days are much busier than others, so thats why I've been missing for the last couple.

Anyways, I gotta make three posts today and as soon as Im done here I will be back in Photoshop till Im done, rinse repeat, so lets do this :)

This particular update is a continuation of exploring the world/universes these characters will visit. I thought a giant snake living in a giant pit without any sort of exit would be interesting, maybe the locals worship it as a God and have to feed it? The ED crew might have a solution for all that, hopefully ;) I know these paintings are really loose but I could take any of these and with the lights and the layout set I could make some pretty elaborate illustrations out of them, so hopefully well get to that point soon!
    day_15.jpg

Day Sixteen, the Sky Battleship

I was getting tired of working with a limited palette, ideas werent coming trough and hey, I wanted to work in color (plus a sky its always a blast to paint)

Flying Battleships are nothing new, Super Mario 3 is way ahead of me, for instance, and Skies of Arcadia was terrific, but the idea is still very intriguing, plus I love the aesthetics of larger than life war machines busting trough clouds, its a cool contrast.
    day_16.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    sgt scruffiansgt scruffian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    day_08.jpg

Thank you. Thank you for that sketch. It is the best thing I have seen all day.

I'm liking the idea, but I think you should spend a little more time with the crew before getting in-depth with the environments they will be inhabiting. Of course, it's your portfolio. Do as you will.

Just keep it awesome.

sgt scruffian on
    randomSecondPanel.php
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    day_08.jpg

I'm liking the idea, but I think you should spend a little more time with the crew before getting in-depth with the environments they will be inhabiting. Of course, it's your portfolio. Do as you will.

Just keep it awesome.

Well, with another 75 days or so to go, I'm sure there will be plenty of that...

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    day_08.jpg

Just keep it awesome.

Well, with another 75 days or so to go, I'm sure there will be plenty of that...

Oh jaysus thats a lot of days left :\

Day Seventeen, Dispatch Girl portrait

Ive been meaning to make a portrait for a while, but my all Photoshop attempts were too embarrassing, so I ended up going to the sketchbook to get a good base, haha.

Anyways, Im going forward with the main girl character design and I wanted to explore that a bit more.
    day_17.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The neck seems a little on the long side.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think this is an awesome undertaking, and some very nice work in there thus far. Good stuff.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Two days worth, cause I'm cool like that:

Day Eighteen, introducing the Rival Crew

Taking it easy today. Long week at the studio and I don't want to start the weekend burnt out.

So the story is obviously going to need some "villains", but I actually dislike the word. Like any animation fan thats worth his salt I watch a fair amount of Miyazaki films and I find that his stories very seldom have "villains" in them, instead they have characters that have other goals than our hero, but they're never really evil per se. Miyazaki and his crew do an amazing job of creating empathy for their antagonists and thats something to strive for.

That being said, you're not supposed to like this guy. Hes smug and overconfident, but he does take sever pride in his job and acts that way. I see the different crews in Express Delivery working for a common goal, but theres plenty of competition therein since the highest ranked crews get to deliver the most important items! Would you like to be personally responsible for delivering the ten commandments or be the person who delivered post-its? All that is dependent on performance.
    day_18.jpg

Day Nineteen, chase on the abandoned city

One of my big exercises for this challenge is to be able to work on lighting, mood, contrast and layout, so thats why you keep seeing these environment paintings from me. Its something I haven't done much of in the past and I really want to develop it into one of my strong points as an artist. Practice doesn't make perfect, but it sure as hell makes you a thousand times better.

Im thinking that aside from the rival crews there should also be a "time preservation corporation" If you think of them as the PETA or Greenpeace of time and space, you're probably on the right track.
    day_19.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like these quick concept pieces but they're getting a bit "one trick pony" at the moment. One colour sillohettes with a highlight placed here and there. You've obviously got it down, so you need to push yourself on to something a bit more dynamic.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I dont disagree. Its a new process for me, so thats probably why they all look similar, hopefully Ill get better at it soon.

Day Twenty, twenty one and twenty two; More rivals and some loose environments

Phew, I was hoping I wouldn't fall behind, but I guess a couple of days isnt too bad. I usually like to make every post separate, but none of these pieces is beefy enough anyways, so might as well put them all together and move on

I also got done mapping the 3D version of the ship,. so Ill make an update with that once I have some textures done. Its gonna look good!

Anyways, on to today's pile. I wanted to make some rough thumbnails for environment ideas, since the speedpainting process was beginning to feel a little tired, and theres nothing like working in pencil and paper anyways, so you might see some of these brought to full color one of these days. As for the rivals I tried a full body shot and what could their ship look like. I went for some more exaggerated silhouettes and a more mechanical look and feel overall, but well see how that develops since I don't even have much of an idea at this stage.
    day_20.jpg

day_21.jpg

day_22.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Day Twenty Three, back to basics

Hey, been a while! Dont worry though because I'm still in this. Its been a tough week at work and I was a little burnt out, but expect a few catch up posts soon!

My Art Director lead me to one of the most fascinating books on Visual Development Dream Worlds by Hans Bacher is an ABSOLUTE MUST for any artist out there. He was the Visual director for pretty much any animated film from Disney back in the 90's, as well as some other stuff, for 25 bucks if you don't buy it, then theres something wrong with you. The book focuses on how to make good layouts as one of its pillars and I decided to take it to heart and get my ass to practice, really trying to narrow down on successful use of layout and contrast.

Today's image is really simple and not detailed, but once I get more comfortable I'll be bringing the detail to areas where its necessary. For this one though, describing a person inhabiting a large palace welcoming the ship from our crew, I wanted to keep it basic and powerful.
    day_23.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Day Twenty Four, Mechanic portrait

I had this thing drawn 2 days ago, just didnt have time to give it some color. Trying to follow the same style I had going with the Dispatch girl portrait and its pretty good practice at the end of the day anyways.
    day_24.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Day Twenty Five, Texture Test 01

Spent a couple of hours today starting the texture job for the ship. At this point I wanted to get a small portion of the texture done so that I could set the expectation for the level of quality I'm going for, so please focus on the detailed part and ignore the obviously untouched areas :P

For those who care about the specs, the size of the texture is 512x512 pixels, the detail area is about 10% of that size. All done by hand, no photo ref, color map only (no spec and no bump)
    day_25.jpg

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Day Twenty Six, Texture Day 02

I was about to make this a double update since this is actually two days both of work, but it felt cheap, so whatever.

Another update on how the ship is looking and eventhough its about 50 percent there (the bottom part is not started, and the back area I spent about ten minutes so far) you can still get a feel of how it will look when its done. I added a normal and a specular map for good measure as well :)

Oh yeah and something I forgot to mention was that the model is only about one thousand polys, so this is something you could see on the Wii or PS2 easily (provided they can fudge a Normal Map like Path of Neo did on the PS2, although nobody bothers with decent Wii tools cause "casual gamers don't care about graphics" ...)
    day_26.jpg

Xavi on