As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Egyptian Mythology entertainment

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been on an Egyptian Mythology kick lately, but don't really have much to really get into at this point. I'm mostly looking for movies and video games, as I'm more looking for mindless entertainment instead of just learning at this point.

The only movies I can think of are Mummy movies of any kind, and a few games like Diablo or Titan Quest (a few areas in moth are Egyptian themed with mummies and pyramids and such) or Age of Conan with the Stygian race.

Book recomendations are welcome as well, though not quite what I'm looking for.

KurnDerak on

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stargate was quite heavy on Egyptian mythology, from what I remember.

Burnage on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    Stargate was quite heavy on Egyptian mythology, from what I remember.

The movie and the SG1 show are pretty loaded with it.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Age of Mythology has some influences, which might interest you. Also Norse and Greek mythology. For a more realistic Egyptian-influenced game, try Children of the Nile(quite low on any mythology stuff though, more of just Egyptian culture kinda deal).

At least those came to mind.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bubba Ho-Tep is very loosely a mummy movie, but goddamn if it isn't entertaining.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    vidjagames: Children of the Nile, Pharaoh, Ankh
    movie: Cleopatra

Aldo on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought the film 'Immortal' was fairly interesting. It's a french science fiction film (though the dialogue is in English) based around Egyptian gods arriving in New York City in the year 2095. It's... An odd film, and by no means a masterpiece, but might be worth a look. The visual design really redeemed it for me.

EDIT:
    Aldo wrote: »

Seconded. One of the only two strategy games I'm particularly fond of.

Flay on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    I thought the film 'Immortal' was fairly interesting. It's a french science fiction film (though the dialogue is in English) based around Egyptian gods arriving in New York City in the year 2095. It's... An odd film, and by no means a masterpiece, but might be worth a look. The visual design really redeemed it for me.

EDIT:
    Aldo wrote: »

Seconded. One of the only two strategy games I'm particularly fond of.

Thirding Pharaoh, and I still need to pick up the expansion. Brutally hard, and I suck at it, but it's still loads of fun.

Age of Mythology (DS) is quite good. I can't speak to the PC version, though.

I don't think the field has been explored as thoroughly as Greek / Roman myth, which is a shame.

I want to say that Mask of Eternity has an egyptian-derived underworld. And now I'm thinking the same of Turok 2. Anyone remember better?

Real Edit: Serious Sam, and Luxor (?) show up in a quick google.

Tamin on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Titan Quest has some Egyptian goodness in it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was going to mention that, and saw that the OP already had :)

Also, I must be misremembering, as I can't find any evidence for the Turok case.

Tamin on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think Turok 2 had any Egyptian imagery in it, but there was a first-person shooter for the Saturn or Playstation that was heavily based on the mythology. I can't remember what it was called, though; pretty certain it had a different name in Europe to America.

Burnage on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    I don't think Turok 2 had any Egyptian imagery in it, but there was a first-person shooter for the Saturn or Playstation that was heavily based on the mythology. I can't remember what it was called, though; pretty certain it had a different name in Europe to America.

Power Slave in the US, Exhumed in the EU.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Tamin, I whole heartedly agree that it's a shame how little people delve into Egyptian Myths, and well, most any myths other then prodominately European myths.

I honestly can't believe I didn't remember Stargate. I didn't care much for SG1, but the movie must be watched again. Immortal looks, interesting.

I will definitely look into Pharoah, not usually a sim city style person but damnit if being a god king for a day wouldn't be fun.

And turok dealed very little, if at all with Egyptian myths. If I'm not mistaken it was like native american myths w/ dinosaur sci-fi. Which is another genre way too untaped. (The Native American, and well... yea, the dino-sci-fi as well.)

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you can stomach cheesy 90s cartoons, you could always look up episodes of Mummies Alive!, which had some kid who was somehow a reincarnation of a pharaoh and his badass mummy guardians who got sweet armour like a bunch of undead Egyptian Power Rangers.

edit: it had a rad theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vhpk7DhZM

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stargate and SG-1 are both awesome, but don't fool yourself into thinking that they treat the mythology with anything remotely approaching accuracy.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png