As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

• Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was thinking about trying this but all I've got is a macbook running windows 7. I've got a 2ghz core 2 duo, but the gfx is onboard. I doubt it will run well if at all.

Anyone know?

Also, if it does, will anyone play wif me?

I am waiting on a beta invite, but if I don't get one will this thread turn into a hey lets play thread when beta ends?

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    CaligoCaligo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys. Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the adventure packs for purchase and reviews of them? What they offer to a group/solo player?

I like this business model and am having fun playing through the market place, and am just now running into adventures I can't reach because I haven't unlocked them.

Also what happens if you are a VIP subscriber and then cancel but keep playing? Do all of those dungeons you had access to now lock?

Caligo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just got my beta invite liek 2 seconds ago.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do preorder people get flaming weapons as rewards from the first quest? I preordered the game way back when, unsubscribed shortly thereafter, and have now applied this beta code to the same account. And I'm walking around with a gratuitous flaming double axe.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The way I understand it, you get 500 TP(Turbine Points) per month with a premium account, while your premium EVERYTHING is unlocked, but if you drop back to basic everything locks again, unless you have unlocked it permanently with the points you have gathered. With enough premium months, I would assume one could unlock all the content, so you would have to pay for a few months, purchasing the content permanently with the points you receive, and then you could drop back to basic only losing some chat/mail/auction privileges.

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i am a little excited to see what this game has to offer with a free 10 day subscription. i am fond of the table top game, so its neat to see a game representation.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Caligo wrote: »
    Hey guys. Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the adventure packs for purchase and reviews of them? What they offer to a group/solo player?

Also what happens if you are a VIP subscriber and then cancel but keep playing? Do all of those dungeons you had access to now lock?

Some of the older areas will have reviews of them since they're basically modules that have been added since launch. The oldest stuff that is now purchase (Catacombs, STK, etc.) should have information back from around launch.

I believe you will lose access to adventure packs if you end your subscription.

Reiten on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was going to get a group of friends together to play this next month via trial keys so am pretty excited when I heard this -- I hope it works out for Turbine!

I must say, I have never played a game so dependent on a good group. In beta I fell into a very fun group of players and we had a great time exploring dungeons. However, most groups I was in were pretty bad as people just ran their own ways and rushed to the end... no talking, no having any fun or anything.

A couple months after release I got a group of RL friends to subscribe for a month and we had a great time -- some of my best online gaming moments. Truly felt like exploring a dungeon. It's a unique MMO and wish it had worked out better for them (of course, a couple of their decisions I think hurt them) and I'm not 100% fan of the combat style (and I don't think 3.5ed translates well into MMORPG-land) but the game's dungeons and since of dungeon-delving is second-to-none.

Timmer on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've never played this before and just got my trial in, I rolled a ranger if anyone wants to play with me. (I'm still downloading the trial.) Just PM me or whatnot.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    We should really be making an official PA guild so we can have good group members for questing. Its 100 times more fun with a good group of rad people, of which PA is in abundance.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Their launcher likes windows 2003 not one bit.

Not at all.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Soooo, download speed 1kb/s awesome....

Elimination on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Basil wrote: »

Not at all.

What the fuck is windows 2003?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Anyone that downloaded this notice that the textures seem less sharp than I remember them being last time I played? (err, I know that's a bad sentence but you know what I mean!)

I assume since the download was quick they didn't include the high-res textures for testing which makes sense. I tried searching the DDO forums and didn't see anyone mention this -- anyone know if this is just a testing client issue and not an Unlimited issue? (I mean they're not going to have the Unlimited client be low-res textures only, are they?)

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Basil wrote: »

Not at all.

What the fuck is windows 2003?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx

Timmer on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man Timmer, I actually had that downloaded but I hadn't had much hope it would work. 'Lo and behold it did.
    <3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Timmer wrote: »
    Anyone that downloaded this notice that the textures seem less sharp than I remember them being last time I played? (err, I know that's a bad sentence but you know what I mean!)

I assume since the download was quick they didn't include the high-res textures for testing which makes sense. I tried searching the DDO forums and didn't see anyone mention this -- anyone know if this is just a testing client issue and not an Unlimited issue? (I mean they're not going to have the Unlimited client be low-res textures only, are they?)

Thats right, they had 2 versions. It would be a really bad decision to only use the low-res version.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The full current game has hi-res textures available. I'm guessing that they didn't provide both options for the beta to simplify the process. You can always ask in the beta forums. That's the sort of question that will get a response.

Reiten on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So Beta NDA lifted, and the official Launch date is Aug 4th. (If you want to add that to the OP).

I am kind of hooked, I never got a beta invite, so I've just been free trialing it.

I'm a lil' feller named Purleyforth on Gallandra. If anyone wants to play. I'm pushing level 3.

As much as I like the game now, I think I may go VIP. At least for a while.

Any Beta News to report? Impressions?

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ghallanda? Is that were everyone is gonna play? I'm game.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hi guys.

So I found out that non-vip are limited to holding 2500 plat. At level 5 I've already reached this limit. Is there a way around this?

How am I going to bid on that Adamantium Full Plate + 3 if I can't even hold the 100,000 gold?

Caligo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    FYI, subscribers get official release on 8/4. F2P doesn't get release until 8/6.

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Caligo wrote: »
    Hi guys.

So I found out that non-vip are limited to holding 2500 plat. At level 5 I've already reached this limit. Is there a way around this?

How am I going to bid on that Adamantium Full Plate + 3 if I can't even hold the 100,000 gold?

Seriously? 2500 plat is nothing. Thats absolutely retarded. It sounds like this free to play thing is really just a a trial account more than really being F2P, limiting the amount of gold you can carry? That's just stupid. :x

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    2.5kpp isn't much. I'll bet there will be an option in the store to buy a higher money limit. Makes sense since they need people to buy from the store in order to make money.

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Reiten wrote: »
    2.5kpp isn't much. I'll bet there will be an option in the store to buy a higher money limit. Makes sense since they need people to buy from the store in order to make money.

Yeah but that seems like going a little overboard imo. I get the purchasing of new content, thats cool with me. But paying money so that you can hold more pretend money is a little hard to swallow for me.

EDIT: Aslo do we have an official PA server yet? If not i will put something together, along with an official PA guild. Any name sudggestions?

Elimination on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been trying to make a trial account for this, but when I click submit the next webpage fails to load. This is when using chrome, but using firefox and internet explorer I can't load the trial page at all.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Vic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So yeah, its definately the low res version in the Beta.I noticed it big time. Also it now has voice acting for some of the characters, which it didn't before.

Elimination on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reiten wrote: »

Are you guys ure about this 2.5kpp limit? My friend has been spazzing out about DDO:U since hearing about it and I asked him, he says his character doesn't have any such limit.

BUT, he did resub his account to get access to the beta (or somesuch nonsense -- my DDO account isn't in Turbine's billing system anymore, so I can't check to see if that'd work for me) -- maybe he's a VIP or something now?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    2.5k plat is really...nothing, I guess you could circumvent it by having someone with premium you trust act as a bank. Sending them the overflow. I'm going to check the forums though, thats a bit unreal.

"If you had a sub or were ViP and then go FtP, your account mostly becomes like an FtP one. Some restrictions are removed, like the gold limit and chat restrictions. But content and classes etc you would have to buy in the shop or cant access those anymore."

From everything I'm reading from the codemasters forums there is a limit, unspecified what they will make it finally, 2.5k is a bit ridiculous, 20k or so is more manageable, while still limiting high end items.

You get 4 character slots for going ftp from VIP, if you have more then 4 you pick which ones stay unlocked.

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, after sitting down with the game again and getting use to it's controls I have to say I like some of the improvements they've done.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, I hope this works out for them. Turbine's an awesome company, and I'd love to see them bring back Asheron's Call 2 as a Microtransactions game... or maybe even make a new AC.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I found my preorder and retail box. Unopened. So now I have an account in this, finally:

Game Version History
    Stormreach™ Standard
    Stormreach™ Limited
    Stormreach™ Preorder

I find this amusing:
    "Your request to receive head start access to DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE(tm): Stormreach(tm) before it's released in stores has been granted. For more information about the preorder program, please visit http://www.ddo.com/preorder/.&quot;

A few years late there, Mr. Billing program! :)

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hey, are the new DDO:U and original DDO going to share servers? I ask cause I will be patched up by morning but I am not sure if I should worry about it if I can't play with my buddy (who is a DDO:U subscriber or somesuch).

KiTA on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Hey, are the new DDO:U and original DDO going to share servers? I ask cause I will be patched up by morning but I am not sure if I should worry about it if I can't play with my buddy (who is a DDO:U subscriber or somesuch).

DDO:U BETA only has one Server atm.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Right, I mean afterwards. DDO:U's not going to be a seperate entity from DDO, is it?

KiTA on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Right, I mean afterwards. DDO:U's not going to be a seperate entity from DDO, is it?

Nobody knows.
    The Developers has yet to give any information about that.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The servers will almost certainly be the same as they are now, especially with the population swell. They won't do any combining.

Jaedlyn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, it seems a few of us are already on Ghallanda. I'm going to continue there and try and hook up with a PA'er group. I'm liking the game and I think I'll get a VIP membership so I can run folks on dungeons by passing out tolkens.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hi guys,

I found something cool out. The plat limit seems to be based off of level. I was sending gold to my level 2 character. It seems the formula is something like 1250 plat/level, but it may not scale linear. If it does though, plat would cap out at 25,000 at lvl 20.

Not too bad.

Caligo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After the beta ends, all servers will go live with DDO:U. All existing servers (minus the beta, which will disappear) will become DDO:U servers. For current gamers, this is actually the 9th free module and all their characters, etc. will continue on. It's just a massive remake and rebranding of the game.

Reiten on
This discussion has been closed.